• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Gamestop offering up to $325 for X1X and PS4 Pro

RafterXL

I traded in my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro + a handful of PS4 games for $775 this morning. They did a similar deal when these consoles released and I got over $1k for a PS4/Xbone/Switch. I love these deals, Gamestop basically paid for my entire last gen. Now to turn it all into Steam/PSN/Xbox credit.

Dural

I traded in my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro + a handful of PS4 games for $775 this morning. They did a similar deal when these consoles released and I got over $1k for a PS4/Xbone/Switch. I love these deals, Gamestop basically paid for my entire last gen. Now to turn it all into Steam/PSN/Xbox credit.

Did you get the $325 for the XOX? I have one sitting collecting dust that I might as well trade in if I can get $325, but the website says $275 for the pro value.

RafterXL

Did you get the $325 for the XOX? I have one sitting collecting dust that I might as well trade in if I can get $325, but the website says $275 for the pro value.
I got the $325. It's $275 plus there is a hidden $50 bonus on the XOX and PS4Pro until the 9th. There is also a bonus to game trade in prices that stacks up to like 50% the more games you trade.

Dural

I got the $325. It's $275 plus there is a hidden $50 bonus on the XOX and PS4Pro until the 9th. There is also a bonus to game trade in prices that stacks up to like 50% the more games you trade.

Awesome, thanks! Going to have to get it cleaned up tonight.

Pallas

Gold Member
Damn, I recently got a series X so I am looking to offload my Xbox one X. I usually sell my older consoles to family members at a discount but I may just do this instead. I also have a PS4 Pro but I can’t offload it yet until I find a PS5.

Edit: Say what you will about GameStop’s scummy practices but this is a very good deal.

Last edited:
These consoles are going to be even more rare in the holiday season. Thats why they are taking anything. With the chip shortages.. its going to be a bloodbath. Do your holiday shopping soon. Black Friday is going to have the OUYA in demand.

(I remember when people thought that was going to kill consoles, lol. OUYA haha)
You know, you can sex a person so hard that they OUYA..... in pleasure.

kiphalfton

You're right. GS isn't the problem. People in general are. As bad as GS can be the other options are much worse. Good luck dealing with the nasty and entitled jackasses on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. The customer service in smaller shops or pawn stores in my experience is worse than GS and they give lower trade in values. By the time you actually get a decent buyer (if you do) you've spent more hours dealing with idiots than it would take to actually work and buy a game system brand new.

Oh, and if you sell it yourself on Amazon or eBay and someone scams you? Tough shit. Literally no one will care and you won't be able to do anything about it.

For me it used to be:

Amazon > eBay > GameStop

I've bought, sold, and traded items on Amazon, and although it used to be my favorite avenue, the quality of Amazon's customer service has gone to crap in the past ~5 years. That and they limited individual sellers accounts substantially, to the point you can barely list anything without special permissions.

eBay is only okay if you don't have to deal with PayPal customer service. However, once a buyer files a PayPal charge back you're pretty much toast. You could have hundreds/thousands of sales and 100% positive feedback on eBay, and the buyer has zero/negative feedback, and PayPal couldn't care less and will still side with the buyer. I've managed to "win" a couple disputes with buyers, but only after hours of being on the phone with PayPal customer service, arguing with them, and presenting them with objective evidence the buyer is a scammer.

And then with craigslist and Facebook, people are entitled assholes like you said. If they see a used console for near or over the retail price 2-3 years ago, they will huff and puff and tell you that the console costs $300 new (as was the case with the PS4 Pro 2-3 years ago). They don't acknowledge that you can't get the console new for that price anymore, nor that no retail outlets are even selling it anymore. No that is too logical. Logic has no place on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc.

So really that leaves only a couple other options. A big one being GameStop. And that is likely one of the reasons why GameStop is still in business. The convenience. I hate GameStop and their crappy "new" game condition (i.e. trying to pass off opened games as new), but every once in a blue moon they actually offer good trade in values. I would prefer not to shop at GameStop, namely because I want games that are actually sealed if I buy new, but if the associate hands me a copy of a game that is opened I politely ask that they give me a shrink wrapped copy. Isn't really ever an issue, unless it's a hard to come by game that may not be available everywhere. But the consoles I have bought from GameStop gave always been brand spanking new, and I've never had any issues with them.

Tldr;
GameStop sucks, but so does everybody else. They haut all suck for different reasons.

BigBooper

I would trade in my PS4Pro, but Gamestop has burned me so many times and their used games are so junky I have nothing I'd want to buy from them.

Did this yesterday. $325 for the PS4 pro - $14.99 for the rewards membership = $310.01 gift card. Now the wait begins to get a PS5 with it. I have a huge backlog of PS4 games and 4K UHD movies waiting for me to play when I get the ps5.

Until then I’ll be playing Metroid dread, skyward sword HD on switch, my SNES classic , and ps3 (uncharted trilogy, god of war trilogy, metal gear solid trilogy). I have enough o keep me busy. I love replaying story driven single player games

NickFire

The Pro and X1X trade in values are insane when you consider this is the second season their successors will be out. Gamestop has to be banking on PS5 and Series X being impossible to find this year if they are offering that much.

intbal

Did this yesterday. $325 for the PS4 pro - $14.99 for the rewards membership = $310.01 gift card. Now the wait begins to get a PS5 with it.

This is Gamestop we're talking about here.
Better check the tiny print on the back of the card.
Make sure it doesn't say: Gift card only good towards the purchase of in-store used video games of $49.99 value or greater each.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Collectors HATE this trade deal lol
Monday Night Raw Reaction GIF by WWE

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Did this yesterday. $325 for the PS4 pro - $14.99 for the rewards membership = $310.01 gift card. Now the wait begins to get a PS5 with it. I have a huge backlog of PS4 games and 4K UHD movies waiting for me to play when I get the ps5.

Until then I’ll be playing Metroid dread, skyward sword HD on switch, my SNES classic , and ps3 (uncharted trilogy, god of war trilogy, metal gear solid trilogy). I have enough o keep me busy. I love replaying story driven single player games
Dont forget to check your email for a $5 code every month. If you buy a game from there, you might have get another $5 coupon thanks to all the points you get from the pro membership.

I dont think i have paid full price for a game in a year. I always have a couple of $5 coupons on my card.

lachesis

I may actually take up the offer and visit GameStop later on.
As much as I loved my PS4 Pro... PS5 is doing everything it does and way better.

Will keep all my PS4 games of course - but may just trade in the HW and extra DS4 controller.
(And I have a leftover joycon - so will add that to the bundle)

I wonder if they take PSVR as well?

RafterXL

All digital here. So he has a reason to ask…
Not really. If you are buying games digitally, you're using Steam, PSN, Xbox, etc. and you can just buy that specific currency with the trade credit. I've been 100% digital for years and I just turn any credit into whatever currency I need for any specific game.
I would trade in my PS4Pro, but Gamestop has burned me so many times and their used games are so junky I have nothing I'd want to buy from them.
They do sell digital currency for Xbox, PSN, and Steam.
This is Gamestop we're talking about here.
Better check the tiny print on the back of the card.
Make sure it doesn't say: Gift card only good towards the purchase of in-store used video games of $49.99 value or greater each.
You can use Gamestop credit for anything they sell, in-store or online. I mean, we get it, Gamestop sucks but this deal is killer, regardless of what you think about them. They've done this similar deal a few times and they've given me more back in credit than I ever paid for the hardware in the first place.

The Pro and X1X trade in values are insane when you consider this is the second season their successors will be out. Gamestop has to be banking on PS5 and Series X being impossible to find this year if they are offering that much.
I talked with the manager at my store yesterday and he basically said that next gen shortages are expected through next year and that because of that they are selling PS4 Pro's and Xbox One X's on a level they haven't seen in forever. He also said that they can't keep them in stock. If you look on their site the XOX is $390 used and the PS4P is the same, so it's not like they'd be losing money either way. It also keeps them relevant as a hardware stop when current gen is nearly impossible to find.

BigBooper

Just did it today. It's a nice deal even though it's credit. Got $325 for PS4 Pro, $33 for a defective extra controller, $22 for the camera and then some games too.

The SSD in my PS4 pro costs more than my PS4 Pro. Lol.

I have to remove it first. i wonder if they’ll take an xbox controller with a messed up Micro usb port.

bronk

Banned
Store credit or cash?

I can't see myself ever buying anything from gamestop any time soon
Get the credit. Then use said credit to turn into GameStop gift card. Then use said gift card to buy Amazon gift cards. Used to work like a charm.

Last edited:

lachesis

Just traded mine this morning.

$325 for PS4 pro
$40 for DS4 blue
$32 for Left Joycon
$6.50 for one game
$55 for PSVR (no move controllers)

Total, I got $458.50.

PSVR being pretty bad deal - but I was there, and didn't want to go thru the ebay again.. although I could have gotten a good 50 dollar more - but with ebay charging and dealing with the paypal and shipping cost and all, just didn't want to deal with it. At least the manager there was pretty pleasant guy - and a couple of cool customers all chit-chatting about games.

So with that, I had the pro membership upgrade, got a used Dual Sense controller (they didn't have new one), and a Sony DS dock (New) + Metroid Dread pre-ordered - and still have about 300 dollars left.

... and finally decided to put down $5 bucks for a Steam Deck at the Valve site... (I may use that 300 bucks towards it, by buying Steam Wallet fund with it)
but it's after Q2 delivery.... I guess I would just need to be patient, and hope they'll get rid of all the early production kinks by then!

lachesis

Get the credit. Then use said credit to turn into GameStop gift card. Then use said gift card to buy Amazon gift cards. Used to work like a charm.

I think they blocked it. I would have loved it myself as I primarily buy games from Amazon...
You can still get PSN gift card, Nintendo E Shop gift card, or Xbox Gift card and some other ones... but I don't think Amazon was there. Not on the store, or their website.

Needlecrash

I'm really on the fence on this. My Project Scorpio Xbox One X hasn't seen much action lately and I've debated about trading it or selling it.

GameStop sells video games. This is a video game forum.

Do you not buy video games?
Not from GameStop I don't. Absolutely can't stand the place.

Still waiting for their big turnaround everyone is saying is coming. If they ever transition away from being a glorified pawn shop and stop trying to fleece their customers, then maybe I will check them out, but I honestly don't see them changing much for the better.

lachesis

What kind of console testing does Gamestop do when you turn in your console to sell it?

Of course they inspect the outside, as well as they turn it and connect to a screen with cables you gave them, and also test out the settings and all. One of the test they run is the wifi/network settings to see if it's picking up the signal, and also do the controller testing to see if it's behaving properly (like shifting and what not)

Like someone else mentioned in this thread earlier - I didn't sweep my profile - and they also agreed that it speeds up the testing because they don't have to set up an initial user account - and after finished, they reset the system and deleted my account and all the info in front of my eyes.

bronk

Banned
I think they blocked it. I would have loved it myself as I primarily buy games from Amazon...
You can still get PSN gift card, Nintendo E Shop gift card, or Xbox Gift card and some other ones... but I don't think Amazon was there. Not on the store, or their website.
Ah I see yea its been awhile since I've done that.

lachesis

Can you spend the credit online?
Yes. As far as I know, you can use your credits online on Gamestop.com....
The card number (account number) is in the back, as well as PIN - you can scratch that off and reveal the pin number... at least the their website says so.

here's the copy-paste from the site.

That’s easy, too! Just enter the card or account number and PIN on the payment page during the checkout process. To use your gift card, trade credit, or PowerUp Rewards™ card online, it must have a scratch-off PIN. This PIN is located on the back of eligible gift cards. If your gift card does not have a four-digit PIN along with the 19-digit Gift Card number, you can only use the gift card at a GameStop store. The digital gift certificate number and PIN can be found in the email sent to the recipient.

edit: Just checked my card, and yes - there are 19 digit numbers and scratch-able pin number.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you Yanks wanna see EB/GS rips offs, check out this Canadian console trade deal that ended a month ago.

This is the price offered in CDN $. For US $, take the below and take 80% of the value. So for PS5 they were offering $260 US and Series X $240 US. One X $180 US and Pro. $220.

CONSOLE: Trade Value
PS5 CONSOLE SYS: $330.00
XBX CONSOLE SYS: $300.00
NINTENDO SWITCH SYS: $280.00
PS4 PRO SYS 1TB: $280.00
PS4 SLIM SYS 1TB: $245.00
PS4 SLIM SYS 500GB: $225.00
XB1 X SYS 1TB: $225.00
NINTENDO SWITCH LITE SYS: $160.00
PS4 SYS 500GB: $160.00
XB1 S SYS 2TB: $140.00
XB1 S SYS 1TB: $140.00
XB1 S SYS 500GB: $140.00

Pantz

Hmm Xbox One X didn't come with a USB cable for the controller did it? Watching some unboxing videos and it seems like it did not. Hope they don't dock it $20. I do have one for my PS4 Pro.

Going to try trading in PS4 Pro and two Xbox One X's in the morning.

I just did this yesterday afternoon with my 2016 PS4pro. I paid $400 dollars for it and got $325 after 5 years of use. FTW.

Beechos

Can you spend the credit online?
Yes you can spend the credit online depending on your state i would use the credit in store. Over here in nyc at least when you buy things instore at gamestop with the trade credit theres no tax added on which is almost another 10% savings. Ordering online though charges you tax when you pay with your trade credit.

My console had a little mark and they called it defective. Lol.

So your console can literally be broken, or have a few scratches, regardless its defective.

Top Bottom