• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: literally lift heavy stone

Jsisto

I did this, it's legit, even without the "convict" theme.
How far have you gotten? I’ve completed leg raises(arguably the easiest one), and I can do a pistol squat with my right leg, but not consistently. Getting close to one arm push-ups. Not sure I’ll ever be able to do a one armed pull up, but it’s a nice goal to work towards. Convict conditioning 2 is great as well. I’ve incorporated the calf and grip strength stuff into my normal routine.

Kenpachii

Moving, having goals and being active is something that increases your mental state. Also getting out and form connections and get friends.

The main issue is, people often have there entire identity locked into one thing, and when that goes boom there whole life shatters. If u have 10 things going for you, one falling away isn't much of a issue.

Pakoe

When I was diagnosed with depression my therapist told me to keep lifting weights and start walking outdoors in nature.
I'm not gonna act like those 2 things cured everything, but it had a major positive impact in a time where everything was surrounded by darkness. Some days it was the only ray of light I had.
While I'm just one person of many, I can confirm lifting heavy stone made sad voices go away.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
How far have you gotten? I’ve completed leg raises(arguably the easiest one), and I can do a pistol squat with my right leg, but not consistently. Getting close to one arm push-ups. Not sure I’ll ever be able to do a one armed pull up, but it’s a nice goal to work towards. Convict conditioning 2 is great as well. I’ve incorporated the calf and grip strength stuff into my normal routine.
It's been years, I'd have to go look at an old training log. IIRC I could do towel pull ups, wall handstand push-ups, supported pistols, etc.

I did pavels kettlebell stuff as well, was great. Eventually my shitty joint and tendon genetics caught up with me though.

thefool

I've done it since i was 15-16 (almost 20 years ago jeeeeez). Doesn't really solve your problems but it definitely helps. Nothing clears more my head than working out (not exclusive to strength training tho).
On the other hand, im pretty sure i developed body dysmorphia lol

More than the training itself its usually the lifestyle that comes with it, a certain discipline necessary to accomplish your goals.

I walk between 8000 to 10000 steps a day 5 days a week. That's got to have some benefit.

Very much so. Not being sedentary is, most likely, much more important than doing contained training sessions and still being sedentary rest of the time.

Top Bottom