• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin dispatching nuclear warships to Baltic as NATO vows to defend its members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a english link. I've read most of it on swedish sites.

VLADIMIR PUTIN has secretly dispatched two nuclear-capable warships to the Baltic Sea.

The warships are on their way to the Baltic Sea
Russia's president used the frenzy created by the routing of an eight-strong flotilla of warships though the English Channel last week as cover for the movements, which have not been publicly confirmed by the Kremlin.

The vessels, which can be fitted with nuclear cruise missiles, are currently in international waters between Denmark and Sweden.

The Royal Navy was earlier involved in tracking the Buyan-M-class corvettes as they headed through the North Sea.

NATO refused to speculate on where the ships were heading.

An official at the Brussels-based alliance told Express.co.uk: "We are monitoring the Russian ships in a measured and responsible way. This is a standard procedure.

"Russia's military build-up in Kaliningrad and elsewhere including the Black Sea, Mediterranean and Crimean peninsula is a serious concern for the Alliance.

"In response to Russia's aggressive actions in Ukraine and its military build-up NATO has increased its presence in the Eastern part of the Alliance.

"Individual Allies have a range of capabilities that can be used in the defence of NATO."

The two vessels - Zeleny Dol and Serpukhov - are equipped with the Kalibr-NK long range missile system, which can be fitted with conventional or nuclear warheads.

Ben Nimmo, a senior fellow at the US-based think tank Atlantic Council, told The Times: "In a sea like the Baltic where there is so much tension already, having two long-range cruise missile-armed ships swanning around when there is no word about what they are meant to be doing there is somewhat disturbing."

Sort of scary having them out here in the Baltic Sea.

I've pedantically edited the title since there are no "Battleships" in service in any country in the world. The Kirov class are either Heavy Cruisers or Battlecruisers depending on who you ask.

I've pedantically edited the title since there are no "Battleships" in service in any country in the world. The Kirov is class are either Heavy Cruisers or Battlecruisers depending on who you ask.

Yeah, the swedish papers called them heavy cruisers but I had to copy the links title.

jelly

Still think this stuff happens all the time and is just posturing. You could probably report on this every year either with planes or subs or ships.

Rudelord

About as interesting as 'Russia flys Bear bomber near NATO allied countries every year for the past 60 years'

nomis

Putins M.O. is keeping everyone on their toes to create mass confusion and keep his power above reproach, I don't think he has any intention of inducing mutually assured destruction

Thats nice. Right next door. I'll go wave at them and hope NATO sets up some ballistic defense silos soon. Seems we really need them after all:(

The more important question is: Is it only Russia dispatching nuclear warships to the Baltic OR are other nations doing the same?

The Baltic Sea was traditional the area of NATO members which don't have any nuclear ships in service.

In fact a battlecruiser is rather pointless in the Baltic Sea.

Tugatrix

Yah yah carry on Putin

Putin just make one of their fleet pass in Portuguese EEZ on their way to Syria, this is just becoming childish poking

Meadows

Banned
I think sometimes we forget how bad the cold war was when we compare the tensions now to then.

There used to be hundreds of nuclear tests a year and no trade/economic links between east and west.

It's bad now, but remember, a NATO aircraft shot down a Russian jet about 6 months ago and all Russia did was ban package holidays to Turkey for a few months.

This honestly doesn't seem like a big deal.

Of course NATO leadership is going to scare monger about Russian ships doing well...ANYTHING because NATO has been scaremongering about Russia since its inception.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Russia does this pretty regularly - they move them to Kaliningrad every time they want some attention.

This honestly doesn't seem like a big deal.

Of course NATO leadership is going to scare monger about Russian ships doing well...ANYTHING because NATO has been scaremongering about Russia since its inception.

I know, right? You'd think Russia had some long-term agenda to overthrow every capitalist government in the world or something. Wimpy NATO and their scaremongering.

Meadows

Banned
I know, right? You'd think Russia had some long-term agenda to overthrow every capitalist government in the world or something. Wimpy NATO and their scaremongering.

I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but I'd say Putin's aims are more to restore Russia's influence across the former USSR, not as an anti-capitalist.

Stasis

This is nothing compared to what happens that media sources don't get wind of I would imagine.

This. I'd bet there's an Ohio class sub or two in that area. Nuclear powered and equipped. Not that I'm for any of this. But I don't believe for a second the US doesn't have deterrents nearby at all times.

This. I'd bet there's an Ohio class sub or two in that area. Nuclear powered and equipped. Not that I'm for any of this. But I don't believe for a second the US doesn't have deterrents nearby at all times.

Too large to operate in the Baltic Sea.

I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but I'd say Putin's aims are more to restore Russia's influence across the former USSR, not as an anti-capitalist.

I was just responding to the "since its inception" part of the comment. I'm quite sure Putin has no desire to disrupt his allies' coffers - and his own - by going back to chasing unattainable communism.

Purkake4

Banned
Total non-news, the media needs to get a grip.

Also, Russia has been able to nuke any place it wants for a long while now.

jorma

is now taking requests
Is it really that dangerous? Don't other nations deploy their vessels around the world too?

These ships were used in Syria and are now presumably being moved back home to Russia.

It's only a big deal if you are in Sweden and desperate to have us join NATO. Otherwise, just carry on as you were.

It's a bit of a misleading title, the ships being deployed aren't nuclear powered, they are these 949 ton Corvette class ships. These ships are tiny compared to most modern naval ships, the Zumwalt class destroyer is 14,500 tons and the Type-23 frigate is 4,900 tons

They have a VLS (vertical launch system) that is capable of launching a type of cruise missile that could have a nuclear payload.

Seems like a lot of fuss over not very much.

Still think this stuff happens all the time and is just posturing. You could probably report on this every year either with planes or subs or ships.

Pretty sure Russian fighter jets routinely fly close to the US's western borders around I think Alaska. Like several times a years at least

Apparently Russia has withdrawn the request. Maybe it looked bad their ships had to dock for supplies after 10 days at sea.

The Buyans are weird ships. They are tiny corvettes, smaller then for instance Coast Guard cutters and still the Russians squeezed eight cruise missiles on them for some reason. In any real combat situations these ships are toast to even the lightest attack.

Apparently Russia has withdrawn the request. Maybe it looked bad their ships had to dock for supplies after 10 days at sea.

The Buyans are weird ships. They are tiny corvettes, smaller then for instance Coast Guard cutters and still the Russians squeezed eight cruise missiles on them for some reason. In any real combat situations these ships are toast to even the lightest attack.
Is all about how the Russians do things. They don't build anything to last, they build to be cheap to reproduce in a small time frame. They don't care if their little vettes survive or not as long as they launch first. How many of them do you think they have? How many missiles could they all launch? How many of those can we intercept?

More importantly, what ships do WE have to divert from patrols elsewhere to cover our NATO allies, because their navies aren't entirely up to the task alone?

Don't know if you can sneak a submarine past Denmark there without anyone noticing. It's not really open sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom