• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin dispatching nuclear warships to Baltic as NATO vows to defend its members

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Vell, eet looks like r/The_Donald deedn't verk. Fine zen, nooklear varships eet is."

494059.gif

skynidas

Banned
I didn't know Spain had been swept by the global rise of the Far Right.

So what's the tally now on Nations that have been taken over by the Far Right?

- UK
- Spain
- Phillipines
- Russia
- (in the future) Germany?
- Turkey

Am I forgetting any others?

Umm what? There's no Far Right movement rising in Spain, not even close.

StayDead

VLADIMIR PUTIN has secretly dispatched two nuclear-capable warships to the Baltic Sea.

The vessels, which can be fitted with nuclear cruise missiles, are currently in international waters between Denmark and Sweden.

My two problems here:

1. Not very secret if it was found about right away.
2. Yes, they CAN be fitted with cruise missiles, but we don't have any proof that they are. Jumping to the conclusion that they do isn't going to help anyone.

RocknRola

- UK
- Spain
- Phillipines
- Russia
- Turkey

Spain isn't really far right. Silly assumption to make.

FStubbs

- UK
- Spain
- Phillipines
- Russia
- Turkey

The US South, Great Plains, and Rocky Mountain states have been far right for a long, long time.

pants

I love a good Russia scare thread.
It's been pretty amazing how people have been conditioned to have an instant negative reaction to anything Russian and how it's been used as diversion tactics by various quarters of governments. I even see it in online gaming communities 'A RUSSIAN, GET EM BOYS' (Dota, Rust) lol

Being from the UK this means nothing to me, we've got one out there in the world all the time (unless they're still being repaired idk) anyway so fairly meaningless...just like all nukes.

- UK
- Spain
- Phillipines
- Russia
- Turkey

The UK hasn't been taken over by the far right. I know brexit happened but that is not the same as actual far-right government. That's ridiculous.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There will be civil war before any far right would have a majority in Germany. Ridiculous.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The UK hasn't been taken over by the far right. I know brexit happened but that is not the same as actual far-right government. That's ridiculous.

It's a pretty ridiculous list when you consider that Spain doesn't even have a proper government yet, but a caretaker one. And Germany? Come one now.

StayDead

The conservative government we have now are about as far right as they're ever going to get. They may not be stereotypically far right, but they're pretty awful. That list is still silly though.

The conservative government we have now are about as far right as they're ever going to get. They may not be stereotypically far right, but they're pretty awful. That list is still silly though.

I agree with that. They are off the deep end as far as the UK political spectrum goes but that does not make them far-right by any reasonable definition.

Vindicator

- UK
- Spain
- Phillipines
- Russia
- Turkey

Having someone like Lieberman as defense secretary, Israel counts as well.

HariKari

What is the angle here? Russia is going to attempt a decapitation strike on a U.S. fleet with two corvettes? It's just a mild annoyance, if that. Not even as provocative as the Russian bombers flying in/near NATO airspace.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What is the angle here? Russia is going to attempt a decapitation strike on a U.S. fleet with two corvettes? It's just a mild annoyance, if that. Not even as provocative as the Russian bombers flying in/near NATO airspace.
It's not always just about the US. There's a lot of stuff going on right now with Syria, Ukraine, Russian financed propaganda all over Europe, pipeline deals, talk of new sanctions, giant troop exercises, Eastern European armament and rising support in Sweden and Finland to join or get closer to NATO.
Just a big mess with rising pressure. Russia loves to remind everyone what they're capable of in times like these.

Nivash

My guess is that it's either a move to compensate for the Baltic Fleet ships that were sent to Syria or some kind of diversion. If it's actually a real, permanent redeployment that would actually be really concerning. It would be a sign that Russia is consolidating its forces in the Baltic region and no matter if that's because of tensions or actual plans to try something it's an example of continuing escalation.

The Baltic region is on a very dangerous path right now. A permanent redeployment would add fuel to the fire.

apparently the official Russian Embassy to the UK twitter account posted this

Russian Embassy, UKVerified account
‏@RussianEmbassy
If Russia is in decline, why worry? Maybe, real worry is West's decline and that we manage things better?

CvZNThFWYAAtGSe.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Nivash

More dick waving by NATO. Can't let Russia's dick waving one up them!

Dick waving? Did you read the article? NATO is severely overpowered in the Baltic and Eastern European theaters. This deployment is basically to make sure that enough British and US troops die in a Russian attack that neither country could stay out of the war. It has a deescalating purpose by raising the threshold for action. They used to call them "tripwire forces" during the Cold War.

Lol 800 soldiers. Yeah Mother Russia is shaking in its boots I'm sure. I wish everyone just put their fucking dicks away!

See above. They're not stationed there to fight and win, they're stationed there to slow down an invasion and die. Mostly the latter.

Dick waving? Did you read the article? NATO is severely overpowered in the Baltic and Eastern European theaters. This deployment is basically to make sure that enough British and US troops die in a Russian attack that neither country could stay out of the war. It has a deescalating purpose by raising the threshold for action. They used to call them "tripwire forces" during the Cold War.
Yes I did and it is still dick waving regardless of the reasoning(or size) or even if this force could actually hold off the Russians should they invade.

EDIT: For me dick waving = displays of power

Nivash

It is still dick waving regardless of the reasoning.

Only if you assume that there isn't an imminent threat of war, except there absolutely is. Russia's actions since the invasion of Crimea is completely consistent with a country preparing for conflict and with the continuing escalation and breakdown of diplomatic contact, this will absolutely end badly if there isn't either a balance between forces in the theatre or some sort of diplomatic deescalation (something that looks more unlikely by the day)

The problem is that Euro-NATO and Sweden have gone way too far with their dearmament processes while Russia has rapidly rearmed. Eastern Europe is a strategic vacuum right now, and there's nothing more destabilising than that. The NATO redeployments are an attempt at shrinking that vacuum. They're not dick waving, they're deployed to decrease the threat of war!

EDIT: It's not a display of power. It's a message that if Russia attacks, NATO will have lost so many men already that it can't stay out of the war. It's put in place to stop Russia from invading in the belief that the rest of NATO would just cut the Baltics loose seeing as how they haven't suffered any losses yet.

See above. They're not stationed there to fight and win, they're stationed there to slow down an invasion and die. Mostly the latter.
I saw. They're basically fodder.

Only if you assume that there isn't an imminent threat of war, except there absolutely is. Russia's actions since the invasion of Crimea is completely consistent with a country preparing for conflict and with the continuing escalation and breakdown of diplomatic contact, this will absolutely end badly if there isn't either a balance between forces in the theatre or some sort of diplomatic deescalation (something that looks more unlikely by the day)

The problem is that Euro-NATO and Sweden have gone way too far with their dearmament processes while Russia has rapidly rearmed. Eastern Europe is a strategic vacuum right now, and there's nothing more destabilising than that. The NATO redeployments are an attempt at shrinking that vacuum. They're not dick waving, they're deployed to decrease the threat of war!

EDIT: It's not a display of power. It's a message that if Russia attacks, NATO will have lost so many men already that it can't stay out of the war. It's put in place to stop Russia from invading in the belief that the rest of NATO would just cut the Baltics loose seeing as how they haven't suffered any losses yet.

Interesting insight. I would have thought that the chances of an actual war between NATO and Russia are rather small though, even if they are increasing.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I get that the forces are there and capable of starting a war any time, but what's the motivation to actually go further than posturing?

The posturing is great for Putin because he gets to fuel the us vs them rhetoric and strengthen his power base, he gets to present his country as strong at a time when they are actually being heavily damaged economically by oil prices and sanctions. An actual war for territory does very little except cripple his economy even further and get a lot of his most loyal citizens killed.

Yeah people are pretty blissfully ignorant. We are very close to war and yet we keep fucking around.

I would have thought that Putin's strategy works up to the point at which he actually has to start fighting NATO, at which point things will go wrong. Therefore I assume he will not push matters over beyond the brink. However, things to have a habit of getting out of control by themselves in the right conditions. That being said, we (the planet) got through the Cuba Missile Crisis, we got through the cold war and two proxy wars with China and none of it escalated into a world conflict. The stakes were too high then, they are higher now,

Nivash

I get that the forces are there and capable of starting a war any time, but what's the motivation to actually go further than posturing?

The posturing is great for Putin because he gets to fuel the us vs them rhetoric and strengthen his power base, he gets to present his country as strong at a time when they are actually being heavily damaged economically by oil prices and sanctions. An actual war for territory does very little except cripple his economy even further and get a lot of his most loyal citizens killed.

Same motivation for invading and conquering Crimea, starting the frozen conflict in eastern Ukraine and escalating to the point of war in Georgia: creating a destabilised buffer around their border in lieu of actual allies and weakening their percieved present and future rivals.

Think of a succesful invasion of the Baltics, where NATO refused to honor their treaties with the Balts, as the holy grail for Putinist Russia. In one stroke, they would neuter NATO and probably cause the EU to disintegrate. Once that's done they would emerge the undisputed dominant power of Eastern Europe and have completely secured their western border. It's not about territory, it's about control. Control over the Black Sea from Crimea. Control of the Baltic Sea from St Petersburg, Kaliningrad and the Baltic States.

The Russian government are aware that they are living on borrowed time. Russia's relative power is declining sharply, and its absolute power will follow soon. But right now, they have a window for military action - for the next 5-10 years they will be disproportionately militarily powerful compared to Euro-NATO, with a peak right about now. Euro-NATO is demobilised and the rearmament processes many members have just now announced will take years and years to complete. At the same time, Russia is finalising its own rearmament process.

If you're wondering what the point in destroying NATO and the EU is, that's pretty easy to explain. For one, Russia is genuinely worried about having the worlds premier military alliance right next door. It's irrational to us, but it's very Russian. They simply don't trust us. With NATO gone they can breath a bit easier and get some legroom they don't feel they have right now. For another, breaking the EU would plunge a lot of Eastern European nations into economic distress and leave them desperately looking for assistance. So why not Russia? And why not at terms advantageous to Russia? Look up the Eurasien Economic Union. That's the Russian EU/Commonwealth/USSR hybrid that was supposed to secure Russia's economic future but failed completely once Ukraine was turned from ally to enemy. With the EU gone, plenty of countries - like an occupied Baltics, Hungary, Balkan states like Serbia, maybe even others - could be coaxed to join.

Simply put, Russia have plenty of reasons to start a war, provided they think they can win and do it without triggering World War 3. Just because it seems nonsensical to us doesn't mean it is to them. Standards of living is not the priority of Russia anywhere close to as much as national survival at all costs is.

I would have thought that Putin's strategy works up to the point at which he actually has to start fighting NATO, at which point things will go wrong. Therefore I assume he will not push matters over beyond the brink. However, things to have a habit of getting out of control by themselves in the right conditions. That being said, we (the planet) got through the Cuba Missile Crisis, we got through the cold war and two proxy wars with China and none of it escalated into a world conflict. The stakes were too high then, they are higher now,

We escaped nuclear annihilation last century as much due to luck as sense. You win 5 times out of 6 when you play Russian roulette. That's not an argument to keep playing.

jorma

is now taking requests
" For one, Russia is genuinely worried about having the worlds premier military alliance right next door. It's irrational to us, but it's very Russian. "

How is Russia being worried about NATO power buildup at Russian borders "irrational but very Russian" but when two shitty Russian corvettes gets deployed in the Baltic from Syria it's suddenly "really worrisome". Shit makes no sense.

I was just responding to the "since its inception" part of the comment. I'm quite sure Putin has no desire to disrupt his allies' coffers - and his own - by going back to chasing unattainable communism.

Putin seems to have no interest in the economic aspects of the USSR. He seems only interested in its geopolitical prowess.

I don't get this. What does 2016 have to do with this? Genocides are still happening. Dictators are still happening. 2000s might be the era of technology but evil people still exist.

I dunno I guess I just think learning from your mistakes from the past is a thing.....

Apparently not to most of humanity

We escaped nuclear annihilation last century as much due to luck as sense. You win 5 times out of 6 when you play Russian roulette. That's not an argument to keep playing.

Sure. But that doesn't mean that we are about to go to war. The situation is no where near as charged as some of those incidents in the past.

Drek

" For one, Russia is genuinely worried about having the worlds premier military alliance right next door. It's irrational to us, but it's very Russian. "

How is Russia being worried about NATO power buildup at Russian borders "irrational but very Russian" but when two shitty Russian corvettes gets deployed in the Baltic from Syria it's suddenly "really worrisome". Shit makes no sense.

When is the last time NATO attempted to annex land within the border regions between NATO states and Russia?

That's your answer. Russia have been the aggressors along the border, escalating the situation. Largely because Putin is a strongman oligarch and strongmen who aren't flexing their muscles regularly don't stay in power long.

Because one side has recently annexed part of another country. And it ain't NATO.

When is the last time NATO attempted to annex land within the border regions between NATO states and Russia?

That's your answer. Russia have been the aggressors along the border, escalating the situation. Largely because Putin is a strongman oligarch and strongmen who aren't flexing their muscles regularly don't stay in power long.

Replace NATO with "The West" and you have Napoleon and Hitler, who both attacked from the West and both took heavy casualties to repel. Russia has a long memory. Not to say that justifies their behavior but it's not complete bollocks either.

That's the reason they kept hold of all the eastern european states after WW2 and it's the reason they feel uncomfortable with those states being allied to NATO/ The EU now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom