• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about Tales of Symphonia.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
belgurdo said:
Think Street Fighter with a popup menu command.

Not a bad way to put it.... not too bad at all

duckroll

The battles play out kinda like Guardian Heroes with an optional pop-up menu and computer AI controlling the other 4 people! :)

*secretly hopes that gets people even more excited for Tales greatness*

ced

I cant wait for this, I havnt enjoyed a console rpg in forever.

The soundtrack for this has already sold me.

Matlock

Banned
Wait a second now. When you say "Street Fighter," how complicated are the moves, if there are complicated moves?

belgurdo

Banned
Matlock said:
Wait a second now. When you say "Street Fighter," how complicated are the moves, if there are complicated moves?

If Symphonia is like the rest of them, all moves are controlled with one button (usually Up+button or Down+button) and you equip the moves from the menu screen, but you can get/buy a special item that lets you do them Street Fighter style (i.e., U,D,DF,F+button makes super sonic wave and some such. Using the item for this purpose allows you to use all the moves in one fight too instead of equipping one or two, but there's some hellacious move motions applied to them in that case.)

ferricide

the control system is actually a lot like smash bros. except for the jumping, at any rate. =)

but the depth of play is more akin to a real fighting game, because of the comboing and juggling and other fun stuff. it's easy to play but it has a lot of depth in terms of how you use your moves.

i command you to buy this game. though the story is pretty bleh.

kiryogi

Banned
The story is great for the most part, except for near the end. That was just..urgh XD

edit: what was wrong with the story for you? put in spoiler please :D I'd love to get a discussion going.

ferricide

well, your mileage may vary heavily depending on what you think of generic RPG/anime stories. for me, it just lost my interest. in fact, it never really grabbed it to begin with.. i'd give the story a C-.

BIG BIG SPOILERS BELOW!

so, we first start with a big FFX ripoff. travel to shrines to pray and awaken the power that will bring peace to the land. and then it turns out to be a big lie. gee, that does sound familiar...?

the predictability of any given situation was just boring. for example, my roommate asked me what's the deal with kratos when i was first playing the game. i said "either he's your father, or he's going to betray you." gee, it was both!

using a character's body as a vessel for another resurrected person is a truly old chestnut (collette/martel) and the ridiculously confused factions in the story are too much to bother trying to untangle (even the characters make wisecracks about this.) cruxis, the renegades, the desians, half-elves... and the whole mithos/yggdrasil thing was painfully apparent forever in advance. exspheres are also not terribly original nor are they interesting.

towards the end of the story it just throws plot twist after plot twist at you (how many times does collette get kidnapped? how many times do you get betrayed? even genis gets kidnapped!) to try and keep it interesting but by this point i was well past caring.

i liked many of the characters, and the game was a blast, but the story... meh. it's a very good game, but the narrative just manages to hold things together. come for the awesome battles and the great graphics.... everything else is filler.

ferricide

belgurdo said:
Don't play Wolf Team/Tri-Ace games for the plot, largely because they suck at them.
i don't. but people leapt to its defense. =)

though i think that's an overstatement with tri-Ace. certainly valkyrie profile was pretty interesting. and SO3 is interesting to me thus far, but i am only about 6 hrs in.

Top Bottom