• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX 7900 GRE announced. 260W TDP. 5120 Cores. 16 GB VRAM. Starting at $649.

Leonidas

Seems like it will be on par or with the RX 6950 XT, which already has 16 GB and has already been selling for months at a similar price (or lower).

Last edited:

Skifi28

How does this compare to the rumoured 7800XT I wonder. Unless this is it and they renamed it. AMD really botched the names for RDNA3. You have the 7600 and then you jump to the 7900 with 3 different versions, while the top version only competes with the x80 nVIdia card. Just why?!?

Last edited:

Puscifer

I miss when AMD was competitive with pricing. Now they're mostly just as terrible as Nvidia. :/
Yep, I've already decided my PS5 is my last console but if they can't get this pricing under control both AMD and Nvidia can fucking have it. Too many great games I haven't played to worry about sustaining this industry going forward with their antics.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I miss when AMD was competitive with pricing. Now they're mostly just as terrible as Nvidia. :/

Yep. The 7900XT would be amazing at $649. You have to give people a reason to consider your card when you’re up against a dominant market leader with insane mindshare.
You can’t just knock a few bucks off.

I think this GRE is just for the Chinese market? Possibly renamed to 7800XT everywhere else?

Zathalus

Considering the reduced infinity cache I think it might end up a bit slower then the 6950XT. Not by much mind you, around the 6900XT level. Frankly this should have launched at $499.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Like come on.... doesn't it not cost that much to manufacture these cards anyways? last time i heard the 4080 actually cost 400 dollars to manufacture when all was said and done

Surely it can't be that hard for AMD to bring the margins down and lower prices, to have somewhat of an actual fighting chance. With how less advanced their cards actually are surely it can't cost more than 200-300 to make this.

Both of these companies are resting on their fucking laurels. Even Nvidia hasn't given us a full game version of RTX racer yet. I want Re-Volt 2 damn it!

Last edited:

SolidQ

The 7900XT would be amazing at $649
People already get 7900XT for 650-700$

Possibly renamed to 7800XT everywhere else?
There will be 7800 = 6800XT, 7700 = 6800, and then AMD finished RDNA3 lineup, no more cards until RDNA4
Frankly this should have launched at $499.
in half year+ that would be 500-550$ card
their ray tracing is crap
all cards from NV/AMD have crap RT, no RT until 2035 year

Buggy Loop

GRE? Golden Rabbit Edition?

Robot Wtf GIF

The fuck is up with AMD's naming scheme this gen

Why not just 7900

//DEVIL//

All the sudden the 7900 XT looks a much better value when its a shit card too.

isn't 7900 XT is like 750$ now ? who the hell will buy this garbage for 650 ? china or not. horrible value

Hell the 7900xt even dropped to 700$ at some point.

Last edited:

MikeM

Rdna3 naming convention is garbage. This has been a terrible generation from both sides overall.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

If they keep this up they're in real danger of Intel out-AMD'ing them with another generation or two of Arc improvements and moving up to the higher end

Nvidia will likely keep the premium spot, but even Intel's first gen already bested AMD on upscaling and ray tracing

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Sure, people get lucky. I got mine for $600.

But it needs to be msrp, and it needed to happen at the launch.
Instead they launched at $900, got shit tons of negative press/poor reviews and by then the damage was done.

Like Hardware Unboxed said, AMD never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

There will be 7800 = 6800XT, 7700 = 6800, and then AMD finished RDNA3 lineup, no more cards until RDNA4

in half year+ that would be 500-550$ card

all cards from NV/AMD have crap RT, no RT until 2035 year
Where ? In Europe it's sold at 950-1000 euro

Jakk

Wtf is that naming scheme, are they going to call all cards 7900? Anyone who came up with that must be on drugs.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
EU is difference story. I saw new cards for 650EU but without warranty

AMD want margin on start. From MLID today video look at 5600X3D margin
ede33d939d955ee9cfd86441dc51f260.jpg
No way 650 euro
Anything sold new in eu has mandatory 2 years warranty
I don't know wich GPU to get for 500 euro
All i see are 6700 and some 6800

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Seems like it will be on par or with the RX 6950 XT, which already has 16 GB and has already been selling for months at a similar price (or lower).

It will be between the 6800XT and the 6900XT, perhaps closer to the former at higher resolutions due to only having half the Infinity Cache.
Close to the 6800XT in performance at the same release price, almost 3 years after the first released.

This whole generation of discrete GPUs really is the worst I've seen, by far. Both IHVs are simply taking the same amount of money per FPS as they were 3 years ago.
If it wasn't for the rise of gaming PC handhelds, I'd be saying the future of PC gaming looks bleak.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
just wait september and there you will have more choice. 7800 16GB= 6800XT for 500-550, 7700 12GB = 6800 for 400-450

it's possible if he get from USA cards
Even if he gets them from the USA if he sells in EU it's mandatory 2 years
We really need a crash of the market to bring GPUs at normal price

ToTTenTranz

Banned
7700 will be good card for 400$ with 6800 perfomance, and then Q1 2024 drop to 6700XT territory 320-330

I very much doubt they'll launch a Navi 32 GCD + 3 MCDs card for $400, and if they do it's an incremental upgrade over the RX6700 XT or a downgrade in VRAM compared to the RX6800.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They can it for 450$ launch, but for AMD would be better 350$ and that would be double kill for 4060 and 4060ti
I bet they could launch that 7700XT 12GB for $320 with an adequate profit and unless they screw up on something else like a noisy cooler, too much power from the PCIe slot or defective heatsink they would get universal praise from all decent reviewers.

The problem is they've managed to fuck up all GPU releases this gen by setting their MSRPs as if the ETH Proof-of-Stake and BTC value crash had never happened.
They're either living through a massive cognitive dissonance or they're joining Nvidia in bullying their customers into accepting enormously inflated prices that only translate into massive profit margin increases to themselves.
Which then fails spectacularly, because AMD has been having their worst year ever in discrete GPU shipments and there's no sign of change.

j8xA8zn.png

A bad quarter used to be selling 1.7 million discrete graphics cards. They've been selling half of that for 3 quarters in a row. Give it half a year and they're probably fighting with Intel to see who gets to pass 500k cards sold.

At this rate, AMD might as well just quit spending R&D money in discrete GPUs and call it quits. They're steadily driving themselves out of this business.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yep, I've already decided my PS5 is my last console but if they can't get this pricing under control both AMD and Nvidia can fucking have it. Too many great games I haven't played to worry about sustaining this industry going forward with their antics.

So you aren't going to be a console gamer or a PC gamer?

Top Bottom