• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB and RX 7700 XT 12GB graphics cards

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Available Sep. 6

9dc49a82-ba8a-4030-an5i7z.jpeg

Why not just price them at $399 and $449 like you will in November?

AMD gonna AMD.

Kataploom

Gold Member
7700 XT under $350? What are some smoking? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It doesn't make it DOA tho, seems like the price is expected to remain that way for a while and then go down as for 6000 cards.

I'm actually a little hyped for the 7800 XT since I wanted to up a tier (currently on 6700 XT) so with this Hypr-RX thing enabling all those things at driver level, wow...

Kataploom

Gold Member

Yeah, that was dumb... Just don't look at comparison samples made by AMD or Nvidia, they're dumb enough to think PC builders aren't smart enough to see beyond their bs... Remember Nvidia making comparisons using DLSS 3 FG? ffs

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The specs are not bad at all, but lets wait to see what slight of hand they are playing with th e benchmarks.

Last edited:

draliko

550 euro for the 7800xt vs 600 for the 4070 doesn't seem worth it to me for the savings.

We international plebs always get shafted with pricing lol
msrp for 4070 is 669, 600 is custom discounted, so i expect 50€ less from amd customs too

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Its a worse deal for us EU folk for sure. But at 500, i'd easily pick the 7800xt (or 6800xt) over the 4070. Paying 500'ish for a 12gb vram card pisses me off infinitely.

DaGwaphics

I don't really get the complaints on the $499 pricing on the 7800xt. If it can hold its own against the 4070 or even hang in there close to it at a full price tier below it that seems like about as much of a value as one could expect in the GPU space today (realistically better than what we've been getting as AMD typically dovetails their price to performance ratio right into Nvidia's chart, LOL). Here they would be completely annihilating the 4060ti 16GB at the same $499 (if the benchmarks are to be believed).

The 7700xt might be in a bit of no man's land territory at launch, just because it really isn't cut down much from the 7800xt. Thus, if they offered too good of price on it the market for the 7800xt could be damaged. With time though this might be the 3060ti of the moment at round $399.

Last edited:

Crayon

6800 XT launched at $650 so that's not too shabby when you look at it like that. 6700 XT was $480 though so ehhh way less impressive on that front. With the vram shit hitting the fan these days that looks like a dumb place to save $50. That 7700 XT should be coming down sooner than later like the 7900 XT did.

Leonidas

I don't really get the complaints on the $499 pricing on the 7800xt.
The problem is you can pick up a similarly performing 6800 XT for $510 at Newegg today.

So you get a 2% discount for similar performance.

There is basically no improvement in perf/dollar.

DaGwaphics

The problem is you can pick up a similarly performing 6800 XT for $510 at Newegg today.

We'll have to see how it works out. Could be another situation like the 7600, where it is really close to the 6650xt in a lot of older games but in the latest releases it pulls away a bit.

StereoVsn

6800 XT launched at $650 so that's not too shabby when you look at it like that. 6700 XT was $480 though so ehhh way less impressive on that front. With the vram shit hitting the fan these days that looks like a dumb place to save $50. That 7700 XT should be coming down sooner than later like the 7900 XT did.
Thing is the card seems at about the same performance as the 6800XT. That seems utterly pointless.

StereoVsn

That's true. It would make sense if they were running out of 6800xt stock but there seems to be no end in sight...
Yep, about same performance, similar power draw, you can get 6800xt cheaper on sale. Like there is an expectation of some improvement gen to gen. There have been none here.

IMO, the only decent 7000 series AMD card is 7900XTX (on sale for under $900) or if you snag 7900XT on an amazing sale for $700 or less.

Otherwise might as well get 6700XT through 6950XT on a discount for similar or better results for your $.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Nvidia's pricing is just as shit and VRAM situation has no excuse.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Not a graphic engineer but I thought less CU + greater bw was better for performance. Might be wrong tho...
I'm not one either,but architecture and frequency can improve a GPU with same or fewer resources. The RTX 4070 has almost the same configuration as the RTX 3070 but the 4070 is faster.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So it's looking like the 7800XT will be about 5-10% faster than the 6800XT in relative performance while being about $10-20 cheaper. So maybe like a $500 6900XT, but with future support for driver-level AFMF. So faster in raster at 1440p, 4GB more VRAM, and $100 cheaper than the 4070.

Comes out the same day as Starfield. The fact they don't have FSR3 ready and implemented in Starfield for launch is pretty insane. Would have made a strong value-proposition for buying AMD instead of Nvidia. Instead, the modder PureDark claims he'll have DLSS3 ready for early access, with DLSS2 coming later on.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't really get the complaints on the $499 pricing on the 7800xt. If it can hold its own against the 4070 or even hang in there close to it at a full price tier below it that seems like about as much of a value as one could expect in the GPU space today (realistically better than what we've been getting as AMD typically dovetails their price to performance ratio right into Nvidia's chart, LOL). Here they would be completely annihilating the 4060ti 16GB at the same $499 (if the benchmarks are to be believed).

The 7700xt might be in a bit of no man's land territory at launch, just because it really isn't cut down much from the 7800xt. Thus, if they offered too good of price on it the market for the 7800xt could be damaged. With time though this might be the 3060ti of the moment at round $399.
7700 XT should have been called 7800 by the difference against 7800 XT... so literally the opposite that they did with 7900 models naming and what Nvidia did with their mid range models naming lol.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yep, about same performance, similar power draw, you can get 6800xt cheaper on sale. Like there is an expectation of some improvement gen to gen. There have been none here.

IMO, the only decent 7000 series AMD card is 7900XTX (on sale for under $900) or if you snag 7900XT on an amazing sale for $700 or less.

Otherwise might as well get 6700XT through 6950XT on a discount for similar or better results for your $.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Nvidia's pricing is just as shit and VRAM situation has no excuse.
Maybe like Nvidia, they're counting on FSR 3 and Hypr-RX to make for "selling point".

I'll be honest: In the case of Nvidia that's completely dumb since barely any game use FG, but in this case it could "kinda" make sense, since they're promising a driver level solution that will "magically" increase performance on all DX11 and DX12 games.

Not a fan of the idea but definitely more a fan of AMD approach.

draliko

still rdna3 with nv1enc and better rt performance (even if still behind nvidia), other than driver fsr3 next year, why i should buy a rdna2 card that goes the same and cost the same instead of the new one? you like shitting on amd even when not needed. They made a shitload of mistakes, this is not one of them

Crayon

i prefer a 7800xt with 16gb for $499 than a RTX4070 with 12gb and $599

Yep that depends on some personal prefferences of course but at least it shows the appropriate difference in pricing given amd is playing catch up with tech. A hundred bucks less with bonus vram actually makes sense. Throw in a recent game or two and you've got a card finally launching at a reasonable price for what you get. Current lineup to current lineup, of course. The regular 6800 is still the cheapest way to get 16gb.

Hey actually I'm looking for these 6800XT's for $450 and not finding much here. Regular 6800's are like $450 and the XT's are closer to $550.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The 7800XT is great value at $499, anyone claiming otherwise is a dumbass.

The 7700XT is classic AMD, pricing a step above where it should be only to drop it to that price after launch, it should be $399.

Still, when it comes to value for money both of these have NVIDIA easily beat.

Also people forget, these cards come with a copy of Starfield.

Last edited:

Crayon

After thinking about this for the day, it actually might be the first sensible release this generation. It's cheaper than the significantly discounted price of the predecessor. That doesn't count the deal hunting, as more the 6800xt's seem to be ~$530 on the lower end. So if there is no significan't just in performance, there is at least a good drop in price compared to what they launced the 6800xt with.

Leonidas

Isn't it the same situation with the 3070 and 4060 Ti?
3070 wasn't easily available around $399 when the 4060 Ti launched. The difference with RDNA3 is that you've been able to pick up a similarly performing card for months at the new cards price... and the 7700 XT might be even worse value than the 6800 ($429 today), 7700 XT is higher price and lower VRAM...

Nvidia cards didn't drop in price until after the similarly performing cards came out...
After thinking about this for the day, it actually might be the first sensible release this generation. It's cheaper than the significantly discounted price of the predecessor.
$10 cheaper. That's an abysmal discount for what might at best be 5% better performance on average over 6800 XT. If RDNA2 was never 30-40% off it might have been a decent deal, but you can't get around the fact that RDNA2 at 30-40% off has been a thing for months now, and if you wanted that level of performance for an AMD card, there was no reason to wait. You waited months and you got a meagre discount, while you could have been enjoying games while paying slightly more, months ago (or going used and paying less, months ago).

7600, 7700 XT and 7800 XT are all equally bad IMO. Virtually no improvement over last gen at those 30-40% RDNA2 discounted prices.
That doesn't count the deal hunting, as more the 6800xt's seem to be ~$530 on the lower end. So if there is no significan't just in performance, there is at least a good drop in price compared to what they launced the 6800xt with.
The $510 price isn't deal hunting, it's that price right now, it's not going in and out of stock, it is readily available. If you were deal hunting you could have got a 6800 XT for even cheaper.

Launch price is irrelevant, that's like saying the 4080 is a great deal because 3080 Ti launched at the same price and the 4080 improved performance by 33% at the same price as 3080 Ti.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Wow, really impressive latency numbers if this pans out.
The image quality might take a massive hit or something but yeah if they really have pulled it off without any issues (or at least no issues not also faced by Nvidia with DLSS3/3.5) then very impressive indeed!

Zathalus

If you are shopping for a new card and don't overly care about RT performance then the 6700 XT ($329), 7800 XT ($499), and the 7900 XT ($729) are the best bang for buck cards you can get at the moment.

Compared to Nvidia, any card under the 4070 is a terrible buy, due to the lack of VRAM.

Top Bottom