• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah, I know it's not physically too late for me. But it will probably soon be too late for me to meet a girl young enough to still be able to have kids. Not that many girls below 35 or so (their chances to have kids go down pretty fast after that) want a guy who's past 40 I think. So maybe I still have a few years left, but I do kinda feel that if it doesn't happen before I'm 40 I'm definitely fucked, lol. Which might not be true either, it just feels like a hard line. And I still can't quite give up the idea of wanting it to be the first child for both of us, which of course makes it harder. Maybe that's the first idea I need to give up.

The thing is that I'm a guy who has always felt absolutely fine on my own. Preferred it, even. And that has probably contributed greatly to me now not having anyone. I haven't really been searching. I've met girls over the years, but nothing has lasted more than a year or so, and I've never lived together with anyone (since moving out of my parents'). I've always kinda had the attitude that "eh, if it happens it happens, and if it doesn't I'll be fine". But now, just these last few weeks, I've suddenly had these strong feelings of doom that "oh shit, it isn't just gonna happen, I've wasted so many years without really trying and will now die alone" (well, that's not completely true either, I have tried and been crushed a few times). Not sure why right now, but yeah. Maybe a combination of me having been a bit physically ill this fall (nothing serious, just a few different things that have made me feel down) combined with the cold and darkness of Sweden in November.

But also, I don't even know if I REALLY want kids. I'm very much an introvert who needs a ton of me time, and I've always (again) kinda thought that if I meet the right person I could imagine having a kid or two with them, but I've never longed for children as such. I think it might be more of a "if you don't manage to start a family of your own you have failed at life" thing.

Anyway, that's a big load of thoughts, lol. But thanks, your post lifted my spirits a bit.
I feel you!

In general i don't think that your thoughts are depressive or all that random since these are things you start to take into consideration when you grow older.

My girlfriend is about 9 years younger than me and this gives me a bit of leeway in terms of kids. I remember when i was 25 and my mom constantly pressured me to get into action because she wanted grandchildren. She gave up years later and i didn't care all that much at that time. But i think the same that 40 is kind of a weird threshold in that regard.

Relationships in general are no joke when you are longer together. Hard work with many compromises. Most of mine never lasted longer than 2 years and always ended super weird. This is the first time i've been together with a girl for a longer period of time. Nearly 5 years now and we stick together like glue and do basically everything together since the first day, 24/7. I never thought i would meet somebody like that and even then it wasn't love at first sight. I might be a nice guy overall but i sure have my weird quirks most didn't accepted. She does.

So yeah, even for me about 10 to 12 years of "wasted" time but as long as you've been happy, living through these times it surely wasn't wasted and just because you don't have kids yet, or ever, doesn't mean you'll die alone.

Me and the girl are not against kids and if, it will happen in the next 2-3 years. But even then we really do enjoy our freedom in that regard. I mean to not have kids. I have a full time job and the obligations outside of that are growing rapidly. My spare time is insanely limited these days. With this comes the thought of having kids and the fact that there would be no time left for me. Sounds pretty selfish to think like that or even to decide against kids just because i'm scared of losing the ability to do the things i love. Countless people told me that it wont be that bad and it will be so beautiful to have kids but the only thing i can see, honestly, is me functioning to raise kids.

The world tells you to have kids and the meaning of live might be to reproduce. But what does the world know about you!? It's fine to not have kids! Accept that and you will have a much easier way of thinking. Don't stress yourself! And in terms of getting into a relationship do as you see fit... and if there is a girl you seem to like than attack!

In general, and if i can speak for myself than it is very easy to spiral down into an endless thought process that won't bring you anywhere. Try to spend more time in the present then with the things that could have been in the past. And if you do need to think of the past then make sure it's a happy memorie.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I feel you!

In general i don't think that your thoughts are depressive or all that random since these are things you start to take into consideration when you grow older.

My girlfriend is about 9 years younger than me and this gives me a bit of leeway in terms of kids. I remember when i was 25 and my mom constantly pressured me to get into action because she wanted grandchildren. She gave up years later and i didn't care all that much at that time. But i think the same that 40 is kind of a weird threshold in that regard.

Relationships in general are no joke when you are longer together. Hard work with many compromises. Most of mine never lasted longer than 2 years and always ended super weird. This is the first time i've been together with a girl for a longer period of time. Nearly 5 years now and we stick together like glue and do basically everything together since the first day, 24/7. I never thought i would meet somebody like that and even then it wasn't love at first sight. I might be a nice guy overall but i sure have my weird quirks most didn't accepted. She does.

So yeah, even for me about 10 to 12 years of "wasted" time but as long as you've been happy, living through these times it surely wasn't wasted and just because you don't have kids yet, or ever, doesn't mean you'll die alone.

Me and the girl are not against kids and if, it will happen in the next 2-3 years. But even then we really do enjoy our freedom in that regard. I mean to not have kids. I have a full time job and the obligations outside of that are growing rapidly. My spare time is insanely limited these days. With this comes the thought of having kids and the fact that there would be no time left for me. Sounds pretty selfish to think like that or even to decide against kids just because i'm scared of losing the ability to do the things i love. Countless people told me that it wont be that bad and it will be so beautiful to have kids but the only thing can i see, honestly, is me functioning to raise kids.

The world tells you to have kids and the meaning of live might be to reproduce. But what does the world know about you!? It's fine to not have kids! Accept that and you will have a much easier way of thinking. Don't stress yourself! And in terms of getting into a relationship do as you see fit... and if there is a girl you seem to like than attack!

In general, and if i can speak for myself than it is very easy to spiral down into an endless thought process that won't bring you anywhere. Try to spend more time in the present then with the things that could have been in the past. And if you do need to think of the past then make sure it's a happy memorie.

Yeah, that spiral is pretty much where I've been the last few weeks. It goes up and down, but at worst I've felt that my life is pretty much wasted. That's mostly an emotional reaction though, which can easily spiral out of control (my history of anxiety and panic attacks doesn't exactly help there either). I also, of course, got rejected by a girl just a few days ago, lol. Or rather, she first answered yes to meeting up for a beer, but then answered back a few days later that she has too much with a new job, new apartment, etc, at the moment. Which I of course immediately interpreted as an excuse for her really not wanting to meet me in particular. Which it might be, but it might also actually be as she says. Either way, my brain will always assume the worst.

Your reasoned posts help to make me try to think a bit more rationally and less emotionally about it though, which helps, so thanks bro!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah, that spiral is pretty much where I've been the last few weeks. It goes up and down, but at worst I've felt that my life is pretty much wasted. That's mostly an emotional reaction though, which can easily spiral out of control (my history of anxiety and panic attacks doesn't exactly help there either). I also, of course, got rejected by a girl just a few days ago, lol. Or rather, she first answered yes to meeting up for a beer, but then answered back a few days later that she has too much with a new job, new apartment, etc, at the moment. Which I of course immediately interpreted as an excuse for her really not wanting to meet me in particular. Which it might be, but it might also actually be as she says. Either way, my brain will always assume the worst.

Your reasoned posts help to make me try to think a bit more rationally and less emotionally about it though, which helps, so thanks bro!
Just try to be positive. You can be, even if you tend to be a realist. It's all in you to be happy and to drag yourself out of negative times and stupid thoughts.

I was single for 4 years before i met my girl. I wanted to be. After about three years i started to get to know women again and i was so poor at it. I was really desperate at some point and the girls can smell that which makes things even worse. I never had that problem when i was younger. I was about to give up when i met her.

Just to say, don't give up after one rejection! This means nothing, trust me.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We need a burger reaction emoji 🍔
k9rnoJE.gif

How many potatoes would it take to fill an olympic size swimming pool?
I'm a potato enthusiast but I suck at maths, I'm an idiot, and I'm a little drunk so I'm most likely wrong but...

A potato can be many sizes. You can have baby potatoes, "normal" potatoes, or large potatoes.

The Russet (or Idaho) potato is considered the standard classic potato.

IMG_0566_2048x.jpg

Apparently the average size of a potato, including a Russet, per pound is 2.

An Olympic sized swimming pool has a volume of 2.5m Litres. 2.5m litres in lbs is 5,511,556. So for every one pound there are 2 potatoes that would mean you could fit 11,023,113 potatoes in an Olympic sized swimming pool.

or

I just measured one of my potatoes. Apparently, if i had another 3,007 potatoes about the same size then it would make up 1m3 (not accounting for gaps between potatoes). An Olympic sized swimming pool is 2,500m3. So that'd mean I could fit 7,517,500 potatoes in the pool.

If my calculations are correct (probably not) then the answer is "It depends" or "Somewhere between 7.5-11.2m"

Last edited:

Amazing cover version of Black Sabbath's The Shining song! Technically the album this is from didn't even release yet, it's set for a 2023 release, but I still bought the song from Amazon Music just now, I can't stop listening to it! It's truly energetic and channels the original song so well.

GeekyDad

Figured that shit out! Hot damn...

Been trying to get my master levels up because certain instruments are just impossible for me to get a higher input level during the recording process due to various reasons (the recording equipment available to me, as well as the type of instruments being recorded -- acoustic instruments -- and an orchestral dynamic approach to performance, etc.). And this is hardware from the late 90s, so I'm having to relearn it all after a 20+ year hiatus. But damn, does it feel good when you figure just one technical issue out that solves a significant roadblock you've been wrestling with.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sometimes I'll find it rather difficult to be so, from a young age, inherently curious as to these (for me) fundamental questions I have pertaining to our true origin as a species, the paranormal and extraterrestrial life. Well, that's where I started. The rabbit hole goes deep and then some. And I love it. But at the same time it always made me feel lonely. And it still does.

I have let go of this internal, pursuit, I guess, of indulging off in many intervals during my brief lifetime I'm once again knee deep in not only new material but everything I've gathered over the years. It's a lot to process.

In the end it's a neverending paradigm shifting exercise. And even though it's positive pursuit it leaves me in a very difficult state.

Wggwwowshefafavw

Sometimes I'll find it rather difficult to be so, from a young age, inherently curious as to these (for me) fundamental questions I have pertaining to our true origin as a species, the paranormal and extraterrestrial life. Well, that's where I started. The rabbit hole goes deep and then some. And I love it. But at the same time it always made me feel lonely. And it still does.

I have let go of this internal, pursuit, I guess, of indulging off in many intervals during my brief lifetime I'm once again knee deep in not only new material but everything I've gathered over the years. It's a lot to process.

In the end it's a neverending paradigm shifting exercise. And even though it's positive pursuit it leaves me in a very difficult state.

Wggwwowshefafavw
I'm curious about these big questions, too, but I hit a wall with them because what sources can you trust to be true? It seems like the only thing you can ever be certain to be true is knowledge you gain first-hand and is not handed down to you, which resides in your mind (stoicism).

Even then, I only have a mental model of my own mind, and a model cannot contain what it models in its entirety. Plus, thinking your mind is unadulterated "reality" is flawed from the start because we think in verbal language which was handed down to us and may shape/limit our perception in ways we couldn't possibly understand. How would I perceive the world if I was raised by wolves, for instance? If I was raised by a tribe who did LSD all the time and I never took any, I'd probably perceive things the way they do--I'd be trained to see their same "hallucinations" because the tribe was my entry point into creating a framework of "reality". A shared narrative, if you will, which is how us humans make sense of the chaos of existing

So instead, I mostly just work, play video games, exercise, sleep, and chat with people I'm close to. It's aight. I'd really like to know the truth of the universe, though. That'd be sweeeet

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm curious about these big questions, too, but I hit a wall with them because what sources can you trust to be true? It seems like the only thing you can ever be certain to be true is knowledge you gain first-hand and is not handed down to you, which resides in your mind (stoicism).

Even then, I only have a mental model of my own mind, and a model cannot contain what it models in its entirety. Plus, thinking your mind is unadulterated "reality" is flawed from the start because we think in verbal language which was handed down to us and may shape/limit our perception in ways we couldn't possibly understand. How would I perceive the world if I was raised by wolves, for instance? If I was raised by a tribe who did LSD all the time and I never took any, I'd probably perceive things the way they do--I'd be trained to see their same "hallucinations" because the tribe was my entry point into creating a framework of "reality". A shared narrative, if you will, which is how us humans make sense of the chaos of existing

So instead, I mostly just work, play video games, exercise, sleep, and chat with people I'm close to. It's aight. I'd really like to know the truth of the universe, though. That'd be sweeeet

Indeed. Your words resonate a lot.

What you're describing is something I'm very aware of and captures the essence of the difficulty I was speaking of sans the loneliness.

Which is, like you mentioned, the *real knowing* and the reality construct from which in your operating from (lol'ed at your examples btw!).

I guess that's where the difficulty lies: establishing a baseline reality from to perceive and thus operate from knowing that baseline could come from a long lingering LSD fueled upbringing =P

It's the effort to take one selves base line reality to the side and entertain others while trying to keep grounded in "my life and others" that makes this.. philosophical journey I suppose a tough one.

I'll won't have it any other way though.

And yes ofcourse I find great pleasure watching a Best of the Worst episode or playing games and getting a bit drunk an smoking cigs because we'll never know. And that's cathartic and frustrating at the same time and I'm guessing you feel the same.

PS: I can't even expres myself in my native language let alone english so bear with me thx =)

Last edited:
Indeed. Your words resonate a lot.

What you're describing is something I'm very aware of and captures the essence of the difficulty I was speaking of sans the loneliness.

Which is, like you mentioned, the *real knowing* and the reality construct from which in your operating from (lol'ed at your examples btw!).

I guess that's where the difficulty lies: establishing a baseline reality from to perceive and thus operate from knowing that baseline could come from a long lingering LSD fueled upbringing =P

It's the effort to take one selves base line reality to the side and entertain others while trying to keep grounded in "my life and others" that makes this.. philosophical journey I suppose a tough one.

I'll won't have it any other way though.

And yes ofcourse I find great pleasure watching a Best of the Worst episode or playing games and getting a bit drunk an smoking cigs because we'll never know. And that's cathartic and frustrating at the same time and I'm guessing you feel the same.
100% brudda. I picked up on the loneliness and wanted you to know that, you're probably not as alone as you think

It's hard to accept that "we'll never truly know" but I don't know of another option. I think the difficulty of accepting it is the reason that the promise of the Christian Heaven "revealing all" when you become one with the Godhead (and all the other religions with similar concepts) is incredibly appealing. It's a natural human inclination to want to make sense of it all. We're pretty good at it, but there are limits to our "I/O processing" lol

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
100% brudda. I picked up on the loneliness and wanted you to know that, you're probably not as alone as you think

It's hard to accept that "we'll never truly know" but I don't know of another option. I think the difficulty of accepting it is the reason that the promise of the Christian Heaven "revealing all" when you become one with the Godhead (and all the other religions with similar concepts) is incredibly appealing. It's a natural human inclination to want to make sense of it all. We're pretty good at it, but there are limits to our "I/O processing" lol

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

That's the thing though. Where truly knowing stops and intuition/resonating kicks in. Another fundamental principle to not be sure about lmao.

Trying to put together the puzzle pieces proves to be neverending and having to constantly readjust which takes massive effort especially regarding involvement with NPC's which is derogatory and pessimistic but still an issue nonetheless causes before mentioned loneliness and schism.

Nevermind family and close ones.

The spiritual side as you mention. Brother.. reconciling what I knew with what I'm getting now needs some time. The difficulty doesn't lay there for me personally though; it's the mere action of processing and keep grounded in a reality>perspective>action modus.

I'm currently torn on the spiritual side.

Sorry got carried away.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
yeah "his" i thought it was jesus eating a packet of s&v crisps chips.

i don't have an avatar... but thanks.

Yeah when you said his I took a second look. In my head it was a woman but I can go either way.

Funny you mention crisps because I was gonna for you UK folk. (Not sure if it's the same in Ireland and Scotland)

😊

Yeah when you said his I took a second look. In my head it was a woman but I can go either way.

Funny you mention crisps because I was gonna for you UK folk. (Not sure if it's the same in Ireland and Scotland)

😊
you were gonna what for us?

scotland we call them crisps. i used to hate s&v crisps but grown fond of them.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
you were gonna what for us?

scotland we call them crisps. i used to hate s&v crisps but grown fond of them.

😂

I guess I got a micro cerebral error there lmao. I was gonna "mention" crisps haha

Same here but now I love them =)

So lays (that was called Smith's in Holland when I was a.. "wee lad") is called Walkers in Limmyville? Everyday you learn something new.

😂

I guess I got a micro cerebral error there lmao. I was gonna "mention" crisps haha

Same here but now I love them =)

So lays (that was called Smith's in Holland when I was a.. "wee lad") is called Walkers in Limmyville? Everyday you learn something new.
Yeah Walkers are Lays outside the UK.

i learned that when i was 16 in south america. was looking for a packet of crisps and saw Lays. had never heard of them before but they had the same design so i thought they must be Walkers.

while we're on the topic of Crisps. any fellow UK people....i highly recommend stockwell crisps. only 82p for a 6x multipack. i used to buy Tescos own multipack but they are now £1 a bag (used to be 77p!). Stockwells are only 82p.

Stockwell Cola is also nice. 20p for a 2 Litre bottle. You're paying about £1.50-1.80 for a 2L bottle of Coke or Pepsi. For that price you can get 7-9 bottles of Stockwell Cola!

thanks for listening!

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah Walkers are Lays outside the UK.

i learned that when i was 16 in south america. was looking for a packet of crisps and saw Lays. had never heard of them before but they had the same design so i thought they must be Walkers.

Yeah packaging is mostly universal I reckon. Man.. when I was.. 24? We had lays cream & chives for a while. Those were soooo good. In Belgium and Germany they have Pickle which is awesome as well. In that sense the selection of chips AHEM crisps in your local supermarket is a direct projection of the taste of your surroundings. Sigh ='(

Top Bottom