• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the main Yakuza games (from Zero to 6, spoilers obviously)

nowhat

As a disclaimer, I didn't spend that much time with PS2 and never had a PS3, so my first entry to the series was with Zero on PS4. Also this means that for me 1 and 2 are the "Kiwami" versions, and 3-5 are the "remastered" (I don't think a resolution bump constitutes a remaster) versions. Having said that, and having finally finished Y5(r) recently, my list would be

Zero > 4 > 5 > 2 > 6 > 3 > 1

To elaborate on each of the entries (and just to be absolutely clear, to me Yakuza is like pizza - even when it's bad, ehh, it's still pretty good, so if I seem quite harsh in my criticism, I've enjoyed each entry in the series):
  • Zero: You never forget your first time, and I suppose that's true to a certain extent here, but it's not all of it for sure. While other games in the series may do individual elements better, I feel this is the most coherent experience overall. There are two main protagonists, both of them important and interesting. Multiple combat styles to unlock for both. A gripping and surprisingly touching story once it gets going. There's that guy wearing nothing but an adult diaper and having the time of his life. But most of all, this game gives so much well-needed context. If I hadn't played Zero first, I would have spent much of my time playing Kiwami going "Who? What? Why?". I did some of that mind you, but that's more due to poor writing (more on that below) instead of being completely lost within the game world.
  • 4: What's better than having two protagonists? Why, having four, of course! Except in this case, I feel it's more like three and a half. I didn't particularly care for Saejima - he is vital to some of the events in the story, but as a character, I really didn't connect with him at all. Still, the addition of Akiyama and Tanimura expands the game a lot. The end battle, starting out with the memorial service and then the four protagonists going to settle things once and for all, was just amazing. I was grinning from ear to ear all the way.
  • 5: This time around, I felt Saejima was a much better character. And when it comes to the main story, this really aces it. Just that the auxilary content is somewhat lacking. There are some hilarious side stories (Shinada visiting a discount massage parlour had me howling with laughter), but generally it isn't quite there. And you'll be playing a lot of what once were minigames - with Haruka you'll be playing an inferior version of Hatsune Miku all the time, with Shinada you'll be doing a lot of batting. There are some new twists to the formula, but the driving mechanics for Kiryu are laughable and less said about the hunting the better. It does have an epic conclusion, but everything leading up to that moment just didn't quite do it for me.
  • 2: You know how action movies nowadays have to have these convoluted conspiracy plots and all - while that's all fine and dandy, there used to be a simpler time. A time when there was a hero, and a villain. The hero might not have been the "heroest" ever, but the villain was certainly villainous from the start. At the end, the hero beats the villain. This I feel is pretty much what Yakuza 2 is: a dumb mindless action movie. That's enjoyable as fuck. Initially I wasn't quite onboard with how much emphasis there is on weapons, but then I started unlocking heat actions for different weapons, and totally got it. I went into the final battle equipped with a ton of Tauriner and several long poles. So I spent most of the battle just gulping Tauriner to get my heat up, then quite literally sticking it up the man. Loved it.
  • 6: this was the only difficult call, deciding between 6 and 3. Both games have serious issues with pacing. I guess what ultimately tipped the scales was Beat Takeshi, I don't think there's anything out there that wouldn't be better with some Beat Takeshi in it.
  • 3: as stated, the game has some serious pacing issues. I get it, Kiryu is a family man running an orphanage - but that's not very fun now is it. Once the game gets going it's fun, but it sure does take its sweet time to do so.
  • 1: I don't think it's controversial to say this is the weakest of the bunch. Having Majima harass you randomly (yay, Kiwami!) doesn't change the fact. The one big reveal in the plot was so bloody obvious from the start that I was constantly yelling at the screen "you fucking idiots!". If this had been my first Yakuza game, I probably wouldn't have played the rest of the series.
Anyway, that's my ranking. What's yours?

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Well, not counting the spin offs (Ishin, Dead Souls, etc) i would say:

1-Yakuza 4

2-Yakuza 1 (ps2)

3-Yakuza 3

4-Yakuza 5

5-Yakuza Zero

6-Yakuza 2 (ps2)

7-Yakuza 6

The worst games of the mainline are without a doubt Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2. Specially Kiwami 2 . The ps2 versions are better.

Oddspeak

For me:
0 > 5 > Kiwami 2 > 4 > 6 > 3 > Kiwami 1

Never played 1 and 2 on PS2 because I started with 3 on PS3 (and watched the summaries of 1 and 2 before starting) and just never felt compelled to go back. Maybe one day.

I'm replaying 5 right now and I like Kiryu's driving missions and Haruka's section is my favorite. And the combat feels the most refined and ironed-out.

Barnabot

I've only played zero and six
so

0 >6 (doesn'1t mean six was a bad game it's actually a joy to play)

SEGA_2012

For me:
0 > 5 > Kiwami 2 > 4 > 6 > 3 > Kiwami 1

Never played 1 and 2 on PS2 because I started with 3 on PS3 (and watched the summaries of 1 and 2 before starting) and just never felt compelled to go back. Maybe one day.

I'm replaying 5 right now and I like Kiryu's driving missions and Haruka's section is my favorite. And the combat feels the most refined and ironed-out.

Kiryu from 5 is a beast. IMHO the strongest Kiryu of the franchise.

h3ad0rZ

I'll rank the ones I played:

1. Yakuza 5 - This one is pretty much THE Yakuza game for me. It has so much content and stuff in it, its like 3-4 games in one. I doubt they will ever beat this game in that terms. I also liked that story was taking place at different locations and had a variety of scenes and events (like escape from prison on snow mobiles, training in forest / village etc.) usually lacking in other Yakuza games.
2. Yakuza 0 - After 5, at first it felt like a small spin-off game, but story really did pull through and by the end of it I really enjoyed it.

3. Yakuza 4,
4. Yakuza 3
- I liked 4 more than 3, new characters were fun and it sets the stage for 5 so to say, in terms of having multiple playable characters and stuff.

5. Yakuza 1 Kiwami - This one is so low mostly because content wise it is a rehash of 0, but nevertheless it was good.
6. Yakuza 6 - To me, this one is the weakest of the series. It is really noticeable that because they went to a new engine, they had to sacrifice a lot of things, but it is still a good game.

Tiamat2san

So for me it will be.
-2 , I just like the Ryuji Goda is soooo badass.
-0 , so fun, majima, Good prologue and cabakura mini game.

And then 5,6,4,1,3.

3 is my favourite. As noted it starts slow but just keeps getting better the more you play till the epic fight at the end. After that I'm not too sure, have yet to play 5 & 6 to be honest as I got burnt out playing through them not long ago, so you can drop the rest in any order.

Shame there's no option for Dead Souls. Hella fun for a Yakuza spin-off

Well, I finally finished all of them.

0 > K2 > K1 > 6 > 3 > 4 > 5

0: The best all-round package. Story, characters, atmosphere, fighting styles.

K2: Has the most epic climax of the whole series, gripping throughout, great tension with Sayama.

K1: Nishiki.

6: Lots of character depth, incredible unveiling of an ever deeper mystery, really enjoyed Onomichi. Hirose putting the crab move from Yakuza 5 on one of his boys in the background was probably the funniest sight gag in the whole series.

3: Rikiyaaaa!

4: Meaty story, fleshes out 0, awesome endgame with the boys coming together, though having to fight as all of them was kind of annoying. Akiyama an amazing addition.

5: Dark Souls 2. Too long and bloated, didn't enjoy fighting as Saejima or Shinada, but lots of great moments in there too. Haruka's section was a fun change of pace. Too much railroading into minigames.

I love Yakuza but I've only played 3, 4, and judgement. I will play the rpg one that releases soon next and then 0, which I often hear is the best.

Since judgement isn't in the options I'll just say

4 > 3

4 and 3 are both amazing, but 4 had multiple protags and fighting styles which I think makes it more awesome. I played 4 first and was worried that 3 would be bad with the samey combat and only playing as Kiryu the whole time...but Yakuza just has so much heart that I was totally sucked into the story and loved it anyways

SonicJams

Wow, I love 0, and then 6.

K1 and K2 ere good but not great.

Playing thru 3 now, its hard as it's so much older.

Rexenexus

Neo Member
5 > 0 > 2 > 4 > K2 > K1 > 3 > 6 > 1
Played all of them in release order over the span of like 5 months. I am Yakuza.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I've only played 0 and that was enough to get my fix. I never want to play another Yakuza game again because as much as I enjoyed it (probably in my top 10 games this gen) I just can't be bothered with the time investment. I loved the game and the damn thing had me hooked through all it's twists and turns. Fantastic game and I think the series has peaked already for me.

Kayoba

1. Yakuza 0 - Incredible cutscenes and the indisputable the best story in the series. Majima Goro is by far the best protaganist, but even supporting characters like Makimura Makoto and Tachibana Tetsu are amazing.

2. Yakuza 6 - Amazing graphics, one of the best in the series and the only game that is fully voiced (including sidequests).

3. Yakuza Kiwami 1 - I loved how the story from Yakuza 0 tied into Yakuza Kiwami 1, Nishiki was a perfect antagonist.

4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Pretty graphics which is on par with Yakuza 6, with a great story.

5. Yakuza 5 - I hated the baseball protaganist story, it felt detached from the main plot with severe pacing issues. On the plus side, I loved Harukas rythm gameplay.

6. Yakuza 4 - Didn't enjoy the battlestyle of the detective guy and Saejima, but the story was decent.

7. Yakuza 3 - I hated Okinawa and they introduced way to many characters in the orphanage (I barely remembered half of them).

Roberts

Do you have to play them in order to understand or enjoy the story? Asking only, because I got bored with 0, but I kind of want to try out the other ones. Thanks.

BlackGauna

Yakuza 0
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 5
Yakuza K1
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 2
Yakuza 1

Yakuza 1 and 2 were a long time ago for me and I didn't play them as thoroughly as the later games.

I haven't played Kiwami 2 yet, but I guess it would go over 6 because of the story and upgraded/improved Dragon Engine.

Yakuza 3 being so high may be unusal but it was a revolution after the first two PS2 games. And Okinawa is still my favorite location.

Yakuza 0 is the undisputed best game for me, not only because of the story and gameplay with the different fighting styles and the cabaret and real estate games, but it also has revived and popularized the Yakuza series in the west. If it hadn't done that we would have had to wait for every single western release just like Yakuza 5 or wouldn't have gotten them at all.

Played series recently. Hard to really rank them, because each one does some things right with some missteps.
That only game that had it all was Yakuza 0. Of the ones I played in order:

Y0: Everyone's favorite Yakuza. Like others I jumped in with this one. Score: S++
+
Story that hit all the right dramatic beats, nothing too left field like the others. Majima story right in the feels. Best mini games (hostess club sim, pocket racer, real estate, phone dating), best sides stories (dominatrix, cult rescue, Mr. Libido, Miracle Johnson), best combat(8 styles, can switch), best karaoke songs, best setting (can't beat 80s).
- Nothing. Only 1 city maybe, but never really noticed.

Y2 (OG): Was really hard jumping from 0 to this dated game. But still I can see why it's so beloved. Score: A
+
Atmospheric. Dripping with detail. Snapshot of 00s. Really impressive for PS2. All pieces that make Yakuza addictive already in place. Combat is surprisingly snappy and deep. Story cheesy but cutscene direction super stylish; ending is real highlight. Best villains & best female characters, all of them lovable and badass. 3 cities. Also, tigers.
- Osakan Castle out of nowhere, belong in fantasy anime. Hard time finding side stories. Dated QoL like locked camera sucks. Sayama never comes back.

Y4: Still had fun of this one. But less fun. Score: C
+
Akiyama + Hana fun characters with fun gameplay. Should've been them the whole time. Tanimura and Saejima fun once leveled up. Revelations hilarious. Finale badass, regardless of overall story. Foot chases are silly fun.
- Despite 4 chars story didn't grab me. Typical power struggle; where does Akiyama get his $? Saejima twist a let down. Kiryu pointless. Upper-lower city annoying to navigate, and ugly. Substories are only ok. Can't remember the minigames (Hostess club lame compared to 0). Holy pop in Batman!

Y5 (remastered): Almost skipped this one. Glad I didn't. Score: A+
+
Awesome locales, some of best in series. Fukuoka, Sapporo, Nagoya immaculate. Loved all the eateries, minigames. Gameplay variety incredible in and out of combat. Triple healthbars! Each character had engrossing stories that sucked me in. Cutscenes memorable. Side stories pretty good. Powerful ending, better than 6's.
- Felt like 4 games in 1. At times just overwhelming. By the end burned out. Saejima's section too long. Overall arc doesn't really connect, feels forced.

Y6: Had mixed feelings about this one, but overall positive impression. Score: B+
+
Graphics, detail, and fluid gameplay mindblowing. Main story is the most personal and dramatic yet, crazy tropes kept to minimum. Likable support cast, cool antagonists along the way. Fighting takes getting used to but feels closer to martial arts movie than ever. Side stories are fantastic, and so are the mini games. Fully voiced. Ono-Michio!
- Doesn't feel like finale to the series. Cop out post credits scene. Weakest main villains yet. Faces look weird, esp. Haruka. Animation in conversation & cutscenes stiff, even a step down from 5? Urgent story at odds with side content, makes me felt guilty. Upgrade system a chore.

sublimit

Banned
This is incredibly hard to do.I haven't played the first game on PS2 and i haven't played any of the Kiwami remakes.I also haven't finished Y6.So i will leave Y1 and Y6 out.
The rest i love them all although they all have their issues as well.I think in general i prefer the focused stories of 2 and 3 but on the other hand i also love the variety that 4 and 5 offered (and 0 to a lesser degree).

But i really find it impossible to rank them and feel honest with myself.All i will say is that i love Yakuza 3 a lot more than other people.I loved Okinawa as a setting and i wished it had more things to do there. In terms of story i think Y2 was my favorite followed close by Y3. Like i said i tend to prefer the ones who were focused on one character.

Humdinger

Zero was my first Yakuza game, and the one I enjoyed the most by far. I'm not a fan of brawlers, so it took some persuasion to get me to try it, but I ended up really enjoying the game.

I played Kiwami 1 and 2, in that order. I'm not sure which one I'd rank higher. They both sort of faded from memory pretty quickly. By the time I was halfway through K2, I was tired of the formula and all the punching.

I haven't gone back to the Yakuza well since then, although I occasionally think about getting Yakuza 6, so I can see the end of Kiryu's saga.

So for me, Yakuza Zero was by far the best, with K1 and K2 distant second and third.

Do you have to play them in order to understand or enjoy the story? Asking only, because I got bored with 0, but I kind of want to try out the other ones. Thanks.

They're more self-contained after 2 I'd say, so you can try the others without losing too much, but in order is best if you're committed.

Maybe try Judgment! Modern engine Yakuza (like K2 and 6) off the main story arc, incredible in its own right. I would rank it pretty high in my list.

Last edited:
where does Akiyama get his $?

The answer is in one of the games not on your list: Yakuza 1.

Akiyama told the story briefly in 4, but I don't think he said anything about the actual source of it; just that it rained down on him. Let's just say it's a long story as you would expect in this series :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
One thing that bothered me was Kiryu's judgement at times. How many strange yakuza men has he left Haruka alone with just because he liked the cut of their jib?

And why would he let her go off on her own into the entertainment biz of all things at 16?!

The answer is in one of the games not on your list: Yakuza 1.

Akiyama told the story briefly in 4, but I don't think he said anything about the actual source of it; just that it rained down on him. Let's just say it's a long story as you would expect in this series :messenger_winking:
No no, I made sure to watch the recaps, plus paid attention anytime he mentioned his beginnings. But wasn't that just the initial billion? He has 100,000,000,000 in his vault! That's an insane amount of money (in USD or yen) from a few years of investing... But hey, guess it's just one of those "crazy Yakuza plot points" where I just have to suspend my disbelief.

jigglet

Banned
I bought 0 on PC but the controls are so trash I uninstalled it.

I might try it again later with a controller.

Top Bottom