• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Votes: 25 8.1%

Votes: 42 13.6%

Votes: 55 17.8%

Votes: 39 12.6%

Votes: 40 12.9%

Votes: 29 9.4%

Votes: 26 8.4%

Votes: 27 8.7%

Votes: 9 2.9%

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Maddoxswe

I love metroid but was super dissapointed with the remake, it looks the same for me. So i give it 4/10 just because of more gameplay from Zelda.

And regarding Zelda i cannot loose the feeling that it feels like a big DLC instead of a sequel. I hope i am wrong.

Chastten

Banned
At a certain point dude, we have to call that crowds objectivity into question. You already played these games on the GameCube and 3DS; or you didn't, because you didn't care. And the sales numbers reflect that. Why that's something to get hyped about 6 years into a console gen is just... wow.

Nostalgia is a powerful mistress.

I'm playing through GoldenEye at the moment, and honestly, it's been a blast. Most fun I've had in an FPS in well over a decade. Is it the best FPS of the past decade? Hell no. It aged... not particularly well, but nostalgia makes up for a lot of the shortcomings it has. Could I have just played it on my original N64? Sure, but that's such a hassle. Now sure, I wouldnt have bought a Switch for GoldenEye but since I already had one, it's a great addition to have on the Switch.

Pretty sure it's going to be the same for Tales of Symphonia next week. Sure, I have that game on the GameCube but I'm excited to have it on a current gen system that I can just hook up to a modern TV without hassle. Hyped is such a big word but I'm happy about it, to say the least. Same for Baten Kaitos. Or the GBA games that got announced yesterday.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't usually watch these and I missed the beginning, I watched for 10 minutes and turned it off. I must've timed it perfectly to avoid seeing anything interesting.

Lunarorbit

That Zelda trailer... Why? It showed some enemies that were color swapped from the first game and a farming combine?

Maybe it'll be great but I think I'm done with Nintendo for awhile.

Tams

9/10. There was something for everyone (who actually likes games and doesn't use them as some sort of bizarre measuring stick).

I'm definitely in for Zelda, Splatoon and Advance Wars. Pikmin 4 looked great, and there were a load of others that looked interesting. Professor Layton is always good. On there were some nice additions to released games. Metroid isn't really my jam, but you will now be able to play it on the go and there's a whole generation who haven't experienced it.

Blanc and Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon really caught my attention.

Last edited:

NeptuneCL

8 out of 10.

Nice games: Pikmin 4, Ghost Trick, Metroid Prime, DLC for Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, Professor Layton, Advance Wars, etc.

Pretty solid for me at least.

Mr Branding

8/10. Metroid shadow drop made me smile. I am new to Nintendo so haven’t played Prime trilogy yet. Loved Dread to bits.

Totk looks great and so does Pikmin 4 and Cereza. Best Direct in a while.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I thought it was "just ok" after it ended, but now I remember I got several things planning to purchase from there, definitely an 8/10 or even 9/10, but yeah, the Zelda trailer was just... meh.

yurinka

5.5/10

-Switch version of Metroid Prime and GB/GBC/GBA VC finally available
-Too focused on ports/remasters, DLCs and B tier multiplatform games

Last edited:
4/10

The Switch has relied on re-releases, remasters and collections way too much over its entire lifespan. I'm just sick of it. If you happen to like these old ass games, then great. But for the rest of us there's not much of note. 2023 seems to have three actual new games now. FE Engage, Pikmin 4 and Zelda. And they don't even seem that good from what I can tell.

I hope this means Nintendo is working on games for their new hardware, because this is pretty disappointing.

Woopah

At a certain point dude, we have to call that crowds objectivity into question. You already played these games on the GameCube and 3DS; or you didn't, because you didn't care. And the sales numbers reflect that. Why that's something to get hyped about 6 years into a console gen is just... wow.
I don't think we can say that objectively the Direct was great (as much as any of these thigns can be objective), but I can completely understand individuals being hyped by this Direct.

For people who have been waiting years for a new Pikmin, or Layton, or Style Savvy, or Fantasy Life (etc. etc.) getting a new entry in a franchise they love will be exciitng for them. I don't think it matters if its year 1 or year 6 of the console's life.

BlackTron

The game I'm most hyped for that is actually new is Pikmin 4. It looks pretty fantastic.

Zelda is concerning.

I love when they remaster games like Metroid. Reminds me of Link's Awakening. Classics made from a broken mold trapped on old systems. I know people hate remasters but Nintendo please do this more.

Before everyone laughs, yes I know N rereleases games all the time, but it's usually just a rehash of something barely improved for a ridiculous price. I'm not even that upset at the $40 price tag and that it was split from the trilogy given that they even redid what appears to be most of the geometry in the game. While seemingly retaining the code/engine/physics/feel of the original, with dual analog control options -in other words a likely definitive version of the game by a wide margin depending on your standards.

Lets face it they were not going to remaster three legit meaty ass games to that standard and put them all out at once in a bargain. In my opinion they would need to raise the price and the optics would be horrible with a $100+ collection of old games. I'm not much of a Nintendo apologist I think they're ruthless but I can also recognize when they show up with the goods. Every time an old ass Nintendo game gets updated to HD faithfully it's a victory. I just wish Ocarina could happen in pretty much exactly the same way they handled this game. A faithful console visual upgrade, not this outsourced portable thing...

MiguelItUp

For me personally, a 5/10. I can't remember the last time I saw a Direct that made me super excited. Couple of neat things, but the amount of neat was completely outweighed by the amount of ho-hum IMO.

I'm still shocked at how boring that new Zelda trailer was to me. It some how made me lose any excitement I had for it.

It truly is the most baffling thing in gaming to me. The Switch has been running on fumes. Remasters of old ass games on dated hardware and a 6 years in between sequels for actual new shit, that still looks and plays like old shit. It's absolutely wild that anyone thinks this is good, or has been good for years. Stockholm Syndrome, maybe?

Or... and i'm just spitballin' here... Switch has sold over 120 million units of hardware, and most users never owned either of those other systems, and thus these are brand new games to that audience. So why not deliver those experiences that are so beloved so that a new generation can experience them? Plus drum up interest before brand new installments come. Or, maybe, just maybe... GameCube was a really long time ago and not everyone is in their 30s or 40s, like us 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'd give it a 9/10, lots of things I'm interested in including most of the remasters. Game preservation is important, and many of these games were trapped on old hardware so many haven't gotten the chance to experience them at all, or in many years if they've played them before. Pikmin 4 looking solid as expected, ice Pikmin and the dog-like creature seem like fun additions to the gameplay loop. Zelda trailer wasn't Switch presentation level, but it also doesn't need to be since it's a sequel we have an idea of the core foundation. I'm glad that they're keeping a lot of things secret this time, which is probably in part due to them holding off other devs copying their ideas.
Absolutely agreed. Well said! Still holding out hope for a remake or remaster of TTYD at some point down the line. Wind Waker HD brought over from Wii U would be killer, too!

Nautilus

Banned
5/10.

I LOVED the reveal of the Professor Layton IP revival, and things like Pikmin 4 and Prime were really good.But this direct had zero new stuff from Nintendo, TOTK had a bad trailer again, and half of the things show were mostly recap or DLC of games I don't care.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
5 out of 10 because they had Zelda.

Otherwise nothing of interest. Metroid Prime could’ve been good if it was on better hardware, but ifs not so ids nothing impressive or exciting for me.

Xellos

8, lots of interesting games both old and new. Wish the lineup leaned more towards the new, but I'm happy with what was shown.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo has for the back half of the year. From what I can remember, they don't have anything big announced after Pikmin (July).

Top Bottom