• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Votes: 25 8.1%

Votes: 42 13.6%

Votes: 55 17.8%

Votes: 39 12.6%

Votes: 40 12.9%

Votes: 29 9.4%

Votes: 26 8.4%

Votes: 27 8.7%

Votes: 9 2.9%

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Labadal

8/10. Could have shown more gameplay for some stuff, but they showed:

Octopath II Demo, Baten Kaitos Remasters, Etrian Odyssey Remasters, Professor Layton and that Level 5 Cop RPG.

Some other cool stuff, but not for me.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me 7, I got to see epic story DLC for Xenoblade 3 which made me super happy. It wasn't best direct but still got announcement that made me happy.

Reactions: Isa

Gambit2483

I see people online saying this was one of the best Directs ever....wut?? Were they watching the same Direct as me?

It's was 70% ports, DLC and remasters. Is that really all some people want/need anymore?

MagnesD3

Mario will probably be for Xmas. Pretty sure the current Mario product they will focus on is the release of the movie in theaters.
Man I hope so, they really should have made an Odyssey 2 for Switch before moving to the probable BOTW style Mario (that I want btw) because this wait is RUFFFF.

MagnesD3

I see people online saying this was one of the best Directs ever....wut?? Were they watching the same Direct as me?

It's was 70% ports, DLC and remasters. Is that really all some people want/need anymore?
Nintendo's main demographic is very very different than it used to be Im afraid. OG's are lucky to get a Zelda and a Mario every console cycle lol.

Last edited:

Woopah

Solid 7/10 to me (inluding the games shown in the Japanese one)

Positives
  • Pikmin 4 coming Summer and the new elements look interesting
  • Level 5 is back with several new games
  • Prime Remastered shadowdropped
  • Several new IP, including from Square Enix, Dotnod and Spike Chunsoft
  • Some of the remasters were from some pretty niche franchsies like Baten Kaitos and Ghost Trick, nice to see them come back)

Negatives
  • Leant too heavily on rematsers, and kind of dragged in the middle, espcially when going through all the DLC
  • No new first party games, their keeping thier holiday lineup close to their chest
  • Spent
  • Would have liked to see some bigger games from third parties. Level 5 is the only one that really showed up with the goods

Robb

Gold Member
7 for me.
chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible.gif

Will be picking up Zelda, Ghost Trick, Layton, Metroid and Splatoon DLC for sure.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man I hope so, they really should have made an Odyssey 2 for Switch before moving to the probable BOTW style Mario (that I want btw) because this wait is RUFFFF.

Nah, no more Odyssey. The next one should be an evolution of Bowser's Fury, which was awesome while it lasted.

Marvel14

Banned
Pikmin 4 Dog didn't convince and the graphics looked a bit stale. Also not sure that new perspective is better...feels more like an adventure game than an rts.

Tears of the Kingdom- still unclear if this is more BOTW expansion pack than true sequel evolving the ip to new exciting places. So many of the same enemies return. Trailer lacked the emotional punch of BOTW reveal.

Metroid Prime- looks brilliant and a good remaster. Genuinely looking forward to it

Gameboy and Gameboy advance- nostalgia heaven.

Everything else * shrug* ...

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo's main demographic is very very different than it used to be Im afraid. OG's are lucky to get a Zelda and a Mario every console cycle lol.
Like any Direct, the responses are going to vary a lot depending on people's personal preferenes. I can see this being a great Direct for people who were big GameCuce or 3DS fans.

MagnesD3

Nah, no more Odyssey. The next one should be an evolution of Bowser's Fury, which was awesome while it lasted.
I actually want that too (and want that desperately, no broken cat suit though, shits gotta be retired). What Im saying is Odyssey 1 really felt to me like it scratched the surface of what that game was and pulling a Galaxy 2 while that BOTW mario game was being developed in the background could have satisfied 3d mario fans and potentially created a game that surpasses Galaxy 2. Like Odyssey 1 doesnt even demand the player to ever master Mario's amazing tool kit, its far too easy and underexplored, a sequel really could have fixed that.

Like any Direct, the responses are going to vary a lot depending on people's personal preferenes. I can see this being a great Direct for people who were big GameCuce or 3DS fans.
Thing is I am a Gamecube fan, Im just done with RE anything unless it actually had practicality like a Kid Icarus Uprising Remake.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gave it a 8 for Fantasy Life and Layton.

Also nice to see some cool stuff like Etrian Odyssey coming to PC. That Visual Novel from SE is also intriguing.

Good show overall.
Well shit, Etrian Odyssey on the Deck might be a good purchase... If it weren't 40€ for EACH game! Holy shit I thought that was the price for the three of them.

Woopah

I actually want that too (and want that desperately, no broken cat suit though, shits gotta be retired). What Im saying is Odyssey 1 really felt to me like it scratched the surface of what that game was and pulling a Galaxy 2 while that BOTW mario game was being developed in the background could have satisfied 3d mario fans and potentially created a game that surpasses Galaxy 2. Like Odyssey 1 doesnt even demand the player to ever master Mario's amazing tool kit, its far too easy and underexplored, a sequel really could have fixed that.

Thing is I am a Gamecube fan, Im just done with RE anything unless it actually had practicality like a Kid Icarus Uprising Remake.
Yeah that's pretty fair, we got Pikmin 4 but that was already announced, and the other Gamecube-based announcments were remasters. 3DS fans on the other hand actually got some new games.

TLZ

Banned
Just for the GB and GBA games alone i gave it a 10. One of the best news of all time. Long live to the Game Boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Came to post this. It was meh until i saw GB and GBA. Then saw Baten Kaitos. Instantly turned from meh/10 to 10/10. Took them a very long time to release GB and GBA but it finally happened.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I was just pretty disappointed with Odyssey. It does have some amazing moments for sure, but also way too much padding and some pretty boring levels. I would MAYBE rank it above Sunshine, but definitely below all other 3D Marios.

nikos

Gave it a 3 for the demos we got today and a few interesting looking upcoming games. Not a Metroid fan, especially Prime, and don't care much about Zelda, especially on Nintendo's current hardware.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Yeah that's pretty fair, we got Pikmin 4 but that was already announced, and the other Gamecube-based announcments were remasters. 3DS fans on the other hand actually got some new games.
Yeah Pikmin 4 was like announced I think mid Wii U life span or something, its definitely been in the background. I feel less for Pikmin because unlike many other Ip ever since it launched it has always gotten an entry on every console unlike many other IP even though it really doesnt have a ton of innovation in newer entries even though Miyamoto likes to say that matters lol, but they are fun games. Yeah im sure Etrian Odyssey and Ghost Trick made people happy but Im done with Remakes and Layton has a ton of entries but good for them.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

5/10

Prime, Kirby and Baten Kaitos are good shit. Tears of the Kingdom will surely deliver but my hype is dampened by the 70 bucks price tag and lackluster trailer we got today. Dead Cells + Castlevania is a cool mix and I'll probably check it out later down the road. But overall, it was too much filler shit and focus on Expansion passes.

Woopah

Yeah Pikmin 4 was like announced I think mid Wii U life span or something, its definitely been in the background. I feel less for Pikmin because unlike many other Ip ever since it launched it has always gotten an entry on every console unlike many other IP even though it really doesnt have a ton of innovation in newer entries even though Miyamoto likes to that matters lol, but they are fun games. Yeah im sure Etrian Odyssey and Ghost Trick made people happy but Im done with Remakes and Layton has a ton of entries but good for them.
I was wanting more new games as well. We still don't know much abot the 2nd half of the year, so hopefiully more new games get announced in the June Direct.

MagnesD3

I was just pretty disappointed with Odyssey. It does have some amazing moments for sure, but also way too much padding and some pretty boring levels. I would MAYBE rank it above Sunshine, but definitely below all other 3D Marios.
I was disappointed as well mostly due to it being too easy with hat mechanics never being fully explore and Mario's BEST toolkit ever never being fully utilized, there being alot of bad moons that you could do really dumb repeated things to get and even BUY.. that cheapened the main rewards and the last big one was the purple coins just getting costumes was kinda meh, maybe if the costumes gave you abilities or something I could care but it just felt like a mediocre reward.

That being said I still think Odyssey is probably the 2nd or 3rd best 3d mario game. It does have mario's BEST moveset, amazing music, fun/cool levels, fun hat mechanics, and neat 2d sections. My current personal (not objective) ranking though is Galaxy 2 > 64 > Bowsers Fury (I feel its heresy saying this but I did 100% it back to back within 2 weeks I pray its the future) > Odyssey > Sunshine > Galaxy.

3D world is imo the best 2D mario game.

Last edited:

kubricks

3/10.
Another TOTK trailer which is alright I guess.
Mildly interested on the Octopath Traveller 2 Demo, and that Lvl5 RPG seems a little interesting but other than that, all those old games and remasters did nothing for me at all.

And oh... no Silksong? T.T

NahaNago

I gave it a 7. Like I said in the other thread it was solid direct for Nintendo fans. It lacked the new game wows though. It was mostly just remasters, ports, dlc, and games we have been waiting on for forever to finally release. This direct gets me thinking that the new switch is coming out next year.

Isa

8 from me. It was average in parts, largely due to my tastes, and I was fortunate to not have to sit through it in real time so I could skip the stuff that disinterests me. They managed to pull me back in lol. A lot of stuff that appeals to me, but for their heavy hitters I think they're gearing up for the next system. As usual there are a ton of titles I wish they'd add to the GB/GBA catalogue that need some love. Not a bad showing with a few pleasant surprises. There is also that Voucher thing going on again in the Eshop which should save a few spacebucks on a few select titles.

Gave it a 7. Needed some Metroid Prime 4 info and the next 3D Mario game.

GB+GBA was nice, Baiten Kaitos is also nice and Zelda is awesome as usual.

The reluctance to show basicslly anything of substance for Zelda is odd to me, but…then again the best part of BotW was the unbridled wonder and discovery of finding things, so 🤷‍♂️. And I assume a Zelda preview event is happing sometime soon. I’m conflicted on whether or not the Zelda trailer was good. Lol.

Beyond that, imho one of the strongest Directs ever, dating back to the origin of them. Pikmin 4 looks fantastic and coming way sooner than I think any of us were expecting… Prime 1 remaster revealed *and* coming TODAY??? GB/GBC, GBA… revealed and coming TODAY??? Octopath demo, Kirby new epilogue reveal, Kirby demo… just like a constant string of solid reveals. Goddamn that was amazing. Worth the wait!

So all those punks thinking "Nintendo doesn't have any games this year after Zelda" because one dude's vague speculation was turned into reported news, clearly Nintendo has a lot of games this year, and literally that quote isn't true at all. Notice they didn't announce anything past Pikmin 4 in July... clearly they have a plan for back-half, or Prime, Pikmin, etc could've easily been held and released later in the fall. For sure we are getting a summer Direct.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Gave it a six.

Couple of nice smaller surprises in there, Baten Kaitos, Metroid Prime, the cop game, Layton, GBA/GB plus some other stuff I forgot by now... and of course the Zelda Collectors Edition. It's nothing that will make anyone go out and buy a Switch for, but it's some decent stuff for the Switch's final year.

Because that's kinda what this Direct convinced me about. They announced literally nothing from any of Nintendo's big teams. There is no doubt in my mind that Nintendo is gearing up for a Switch 2 announcement later this year, with a release date before April 2024. Can't see that not happening.

ProtoByte

It truly is the most baffling thing in gaming to me. The Switch has been running on fumes. Remasters of old ass games on dated hardware and a 6 years in between sequels for actual new shit, that still looks and plays like old shit. It's absolutely wild that anyone thinks this is good, or has been good for years. Stockholm Syndrome, maybe?

At a certain point dude, we have to call that crowds objectivity into question. You already played these games on the GameCube and 3DS; or you didn't, because you didn't care. And the sales numbers reflect that. Why that's something to get hyped about 6 years into a console gen is just... wow.

supernova8

Banned
All the people expecting a new Switch console reveal muwhahahaha here you go enjoy your low-effort Metroid port!!!!

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m on crazy pills as I normally rate directs higher than the average person. Seeing lots of positive feedback on this one online, but for me only Zelda, Metroid and Splatoon 3 DLC look good. Metroid is priced £5 to high which takes the shine off and the Zelda trailer was underwhelming. The game boy colour stuff would have been exciting if they had Pokémon Yellow/Silver in the launch line/coming soon.

Crayon

I'm watching now. Funny with all the rereleases there are so many I always wanted to play. Pikmin was great. I liked the bayo game and deca whatever looked like something I want to try. If this a bad one maybe I should watch more of to these...

Handel

I'd give it a 9/10, lots of things I'm interested in including most of the remasters. Game preservation is important, and many of these games were trapped on old hardware so many haven't gotten the chance to experience them at all, or in many years if they've played them before. Pikmin 4 looking solid as expected, ice Pikmin and the dog-like creature seem like fun additions to the gameplay loop. Zelda trailer wasn't Switch presentation level, but it also doesn't need to be since it's a sequel we have an idea of the core foundation. I'm glad that they're keeping a lot of things secret this time, which is probably in part due to them holding off other devs copying their ideas.

Top Bottom