• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Moon sucks according to ign

jason10mm

Gold Member
Talk about star wars rip off...
9c4yt5L.jpg

Let's keep going, this is probably more fun than the Rebel Moon film is gonna be :
vzuWj0E.jpg

Toons

I think the machine is just mad because Snyder fleshed out a much better Rey than that pathetic Mary Sue retard absorption which they aborted out, and that by no means is a complement to Snyder. Disney and the cunt machine is just that, pure ripe shit.

The "machine" had no love for Snyder and his movies before the force awakens even came out lmao. Man of steel was 2013.

Snyder just ain't great at movies, and if Disney had let him make his star wars thing it would've still probably sucked too

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The "machine" had no love for Snyder and his movies before the force awakens even came out lmao. Man of steel was 2013.

Snyder just ain't great at movies, and if Disney had let him make his star wars thing it would've still probably sucked too

Snyder isn't bad when he's adapting other people's work into film. 300, Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead etc are decent. Not the greatest films ever made, but they're fun movies.

It's his original content that really blows. He can't write a decent screenplay and translate it to film.

Suckerpunch is shite. Army of the Dead is incoherent nonsense and possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I haven't seen Rebel Moon yet, but based on the reviews and the fact that it's a Snyder original, I'm not sure if I really want to waste my time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

How long has Disney owned Marvel again?

Thought so. War. War never changes. Trash is all relative, you see.

Toons

How long has Disney owned Marvel again?

Thought so. War. War never changes. Trash is all relative, you see.

Right, not a single Disney movie has gotten negative reviews since 2011. Totally.

Disney definitely had to sic their "machine" on Zack Snyder, who was such a threat that he *checks notes* has released films to panned reviews as early as 2011, took the second biggest cultural IP in the world and ran it into the ground so bad that we are legitimately questioning whether a superman film will make money.

mmmkay dude lol. Trash is indeed relative, and so are narratives used to justify that trash.

Toons

Snyder isn't bad when he's adapting other people's work into film. 300, Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead etc are decent. Not the greatest films ever made, but they're fun movies.

It's his original content that really blows. He can't write a decent screenplay and translate it to film.

Suckerpunch is shite. Army of the Dead is incoherent nonsense and possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I haven't seen Rebel Moon yet, but based on the reviews and the fact that it's a Snyder original, I'm not sure if I really want to waste my time.

I agree. Hes not terrible when you write a story for him and just have him make the pretty pictures. His visuals are pretty incredible, if a little self indulgent(i rolled my eyes at the 4 minute sequence of aquaman walking towards water in slow mo)

In fact, I think he'd be a perfect director for something like spawn, an IP far more known for its visual presentation than anything story related.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, not a single Disney movie has gotten negative reviews since 2011. Totally.

Disney definitely had to sic their "machine" on Zack Snyder, who was such a threat that he *checks notes* has released films to panned reviews as early as 2011, took the second biggest cultural IP in the world and ran it into the ground so bad that we are legitimately questioning whether a superman film will make money.

mmmkay dude lol. Trash is indeed relative, and so are narratives used to justify that trash.
Let me try and explain in more simple terms. You can swap Snyder's name on any of the Marvel shit since Black Panther's overrated tripe, and nobody would know the wiser. Hell, it even has the cheese CGI and action straight out of DC at the time.

Toons

Let me try and explain in more simple terms. You can swap Snyder's name on any of the Marvel shit since Black Panther's overrated tripe, and nobody would know the wiser. Hell, it even has the cheese CGI and action straight out of DC at the time.

Nah, not enough americsn flags and crucifixes in any of the movies for that.

Well... captain marvel had an American flag in it i guess.

FunkMiller

Look at this completely original, and not at all ripped off character in Zack Snyder’s new sci-fi epic. Its Commissar… sorry, I mean Admiral Cain Noble!

fx2wPRC.jpg

Other completely original things Zack invented for this movie are a fascist empire called the Imperium, run from earth by a corpse king, and a character named Balasarius.

….can this cunt ever come up with anything himself?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The amount of flack he is getting is just insane to see. It's like he personally touched some of you in your peepee zone lmao.
Grow the fuck up it's just movies, and spend less time on stuff you hate and more on stuff you like (Marvel bullshit for most).

Also, MoS and BvS are top 10 highest grossing DC movies so I wouldn't call that anything close to bad, let alone put the downfall of DC on his chest. Warner did this to themselves

image.png

As someone said: before 2013, Superman only had one true hit film. Wonder Woman was an unknown character to the GA and Aquaman was considered a literal joke. Then DCEU averaged 815m a film when Snyder was still there.

How is it doing recently?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Last edited:

Bulletzen72

Just watched it. Look it's the Seven Samurai/Magnificent 7. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't great either. Part one is basically the recruitment of the "heroes" with bits and bobs added on. The big battle will be part 2 in April. It's a Snyder movie- pretty, lots of slow mo and bad dialogue.
What is interesting though is that it is clearly a hard R movie with all the gory bits cut out by Netflix (hence directors cut talk later on), and it was awkwardly done. The universe is in no way original with a mixture of Warhammer 40k and Star Wars with a smidge of Harry Potter, but it is a brutal and violent setting, so the jump cuts avoiding the violence is jarring. Meh! I've seen worse movies. It's a Snyder film!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just watched it. Look it's the Seven Samurai/Magnificent 7. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't great either. Part one is basically the recruitment of the "heroes" with bits and bobs added on. The big battle will be part 2 in April. It's a Snyder movie- pretty, lots of slow mo and bad dialogue.
What is interesting though is that it is clearly a hard R movie with all the gory bits cut out by Netflix (hence directors cut talk later on), and it was awkwardly done. The universe is in no way original with a mixture of Warhammer 40k and Star Wars with a smidge of Harry Potter, but it is a brutal and violent setting, so the jump cuts avoiding the violence is jarring. Meh! I've seen worse movies. It's a Snyder film!
It’s awkwardly cut down to PG-13 huh. Seems senseless for a streaming release. Will wait for the DC.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sucks to read that the movie cut out the violence, I’m not going to waste my time on a PG-13 edit.

When is the Director’s cut coming?

I'm watching it ATM. The main problem is tiny slight boss girl beating people up. That and the constant use of fucking slow motion and blurovision. Someone needs to take Snyder off to one side and give the bugger a good hard slap. Story is fine. I mean you cant go wrong with 7 samurai but he sure is trying to.

Ironbunny

30 mins in and I have to force myself to watch forward. So far the big bad enemy is a caricature of a sleazy school bully. Spaceship design does not ooze menace and neather does anything else. Lots of slowmotion and overtly Snydered color palette. So far "plot" still makes more sense then the new Star Wars movies ever did.

Ironbunny

I'm watching it ATM. The main problem is tiny slight boss girl beating people up. That and the constant use of fucking slow motion and blurovision. Someone needs to take Snyder off to one side and give the bugger a good hard slap. Story is fine. I mean you cant go wrong with 7 samurai but he sure is trying to.

Yea whats up with the blur lenses used. In few scenes its all smeared scene.

FunkMiller

The amount of flack he is getting is just insane to see. It's like he personally touched some of you in your peepee zone lmao.
Grow the fuck up it's just movies, and spend less time on stuff you hate and more on stuff you like (Marvel bullshit for most).

Film makers only get flak when they make movies that deserve that flak. Is everyone supposed to just be nice to Zack Snyder? Does the same apply to Paul WS Anderson? Michael Bay? Wes Anderson? James Mangold?

You like his movies, that’s fine. But other people are allowed to be critical of what he does. You act like Snyder is the only director that gets flak for putting out poor movies, but this section of GAF has loads of threads about bad movies and the people who have made them. A lot of them recently have (deservedly) been about Marvel.

Stop being so sensitive over a guy you don’t know and have no links to personally. It’s fine for you to like him, and equally fine for others to not.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Army of the Dead is one of the worst major releases I've ever seen, but overall his filmography is pretty good. And his superhero movies are all good (the director's cuts). Certainly not above criticism, but things have gotten weird when discussing him and his films in recent times. Seething hatred all over. Meanwhile the MCU and DCEU are putting out stinker after stinker.

Ironbunny

Army of the Dead is one of the worst major releases I've ever seen, but overall his filmography is pretty good. And his superhero movies are all good (the director's cuts). Certainly not above criticism, but things have gotten weird when discussing him and his films in recent times. Seething hatred all over. Meanwhile the MCU and DCEU are putting out stinker after stinker.

Yea hes movies are definetly not as bad as they are made out to be in chatter. He certainly has an eye for good visuals but it seems that there should be someobe there to put on the brakes on some of hes visual antics. On the other hand just like with Justice League they are putting brakes on the wrong things.

Ps. Why is it that in all of hes movies some scenes look somewhat cheap? This Rebel Moon has it too and it isnt cheap movie.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

He got so much blowback for speaking about his own version of the movie, it was wild. I feel like most directors have a vision of their own movie that gets sidelined by a mandatory rating. Most of my favorite directors were able to release their own cut of a feature film, and those movies were waaaay better, and became the classics that we know today!

SJRB

Gold Member

DCEU certainly didn't get any better after they kicked him out. On the contrary actually, they haven't had a single good movie since.. I don't even know.

Flash, Aquaman 2, Wonder Woman 2, Shazam, Blue Beetle. Just an endless series of trash. Not saying Snyder could've prevented all this, but he's often named as THE reason the DCEU is in shambles which is just preposterous. Hate him or love him (god knows he made some questionable choices), but at least he actually had a vision.

KrakenIPA

Yea hes movies are definetly not as bad as they are made out to be in chatter. He certainly has an eye for good visuals but it seems that there should be someobe there to put on the brakes on some of hes visual antics. On the other hand just like with Justice League they are putting brakes on the wrong things.

Ps. Why is it that all of hes movies (some scenes) look somewhat cheap? This Rebel Moon has it too and it isnt cheap movie
I bet it's so hard to always be ahead of the pack as far as visuals and yet be held behind on other things.

Hollywood seems like a tug of war yo-yo trick on a balance beam. It shouldn't be so hard to visualize a storyboard onto film.

SJRB

Gold Member
He got so much blowback for speaking about his own version of the movie, it was wild. I feel like most directors have a vision of their own movie that gets sidelined by a mandatory rating. Most of my favorite directors were able to release their own cut of a feature film, and those movies were waaaay better, and became the classics that we know today!

- Batman v Superman theatrical cut comes out, almost everyone hates it
- Snyder pushes for a director's cut, it gets released and is pretty much universally considered a much better movie
- Justice League theatrical cut comes out, thermonuclear bombs the DCEU
- Snyder pushes for a director's cut, by some miracle it gets released and it not only redeems Justice League, it's one of the best DC movies ever made

There's a pattern here.

dorkimoe

I really wish these directors could just release their versions from the get go, why hire a director/buy his shit and then make him cut it down?

Give me the directors cut..

Still plan on watching this sometime this next week

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Film makers only get flak when they make movies that deserve that flak. Is everyone supposed to just be nice to Zack Snyder? Does the same apply to Paul WS Anderson? Michael Bay? Wes Anderson? James Mangold?

You like his movies, that’s fine. But other people are allowed to be critical of what he does. You act like Snyder is the only director that gets flak for putting out poor movies, but this section of GAF has loads of threads about bad movies and the people who have made them. A lot of them recently have (deservedly) been about Marvel.

Stop being so sensitive over a guy you don’t know and have no links to personally. It’s fine for you to like him, and equally fine for others to not.
My problem with you is that there are fair criticisms and stupid criticisms. You and many other here (hi ManaByte ManaByte ) fall into the second category with some of the most stupid take I've ever seen on a filmmaker. And no other director is getting shits on like Snyder, but it's ok just because he adapted COMICS BOOK and not the one you wanted. He made his interpretation and for some stupid people it's sacred "OH MY GOD MY BOY SCOUT SUPERMAN WHERE IS IT???".
I mean I remember ManaByte ManaByte saying ZSJL is the same as JL 2017, but longer. WTF is this stupid take?

Welp Evilore answered before I was able to so here you go. You are acting like he made the worst movies ever, and maybe you think that way but you need to understand it's not everyone's opinion.
ZSJL is one of the best DC movie for example. 300 inspired so many other movies/scenes and is still awesome to watch. Watchmen is *chef's kiss*, MoS one of the best super hero origin story and BvS UE is one of my favorite movie of all time. Yes.

But of course you know better, don't you? Better than the great Kevin Conroy who applauds his films, as do Grant Morrison, Jay Oliva, Marv Wolfman, Dan Jurgen and many other comic book authors who ALL praise Snyder. But you know better than those famous author right? You are so much better than them amaright? Like Snyder, they don't know anything now, right?

See, that's my problem with you and other. You think you are so much better than other when in the end the amount of toxicity is both sad and unbelievable., wasting so much time on stuff you don't like.
Also NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt you can put the laugh emoji as much as you want, it wont make you smarter.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I really wish these directors could just release their versions from the get go, why hire a director/buy his shit and then make him cut it down?

Give me the directors cut..

Still plan on watching this sometime this next week
An R-rated sci-fi with this budget is very fucking hard to sell to studios. I think it's a fair compromise.

Based on the interviews I've read, the R-rated cut is going to be almost a different film, far more violent, and sexier. Some scenes might even have completely different dialogue.

It will be interesting to see how different they'll actually be.

near

Gold Member
The discourse around Snyder is a weird one to me. I don't really have strong feelings about him. I've liked some of his films, not liked others. But he seems to stir up incredibly passionate feelings, both positive and negative, in some people.
It is weird. The more hate I see he's films get, the more I tend to appreciate them. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Can't wait to watch this tonight!

He's not even very fitting for this discourse, someone like Ridley Scott would be far more appropriate for this sort of discussion. He's filmography is disgustingly polarizing.

Hrk69

You know a film is going to be shit when you hear a Dutch English accent

Was Michiel Huisman this bad in GoT too?

Hardensoul

Gold Member
The blurred vision was tolerable in Rebel Moon, glad he toned that shit down from Army of the Dead! Blurred vision in that Army was almost unwatchable for me.

FunkMiller

My problem with you is that there are fair criticisms and stupid criticisms. You and many other here (hi ManaByte ManaByte ) fall into the second category with some of the most stupid take I've ever seen on a filmmaker. And no other director is getting shits on like Snyder, but it's ok just because he adapted COMICS BOOK and not the one you wanted. He made his interpretation and for some stupid people it's sacred "OH MY GOD MY BOY SCOUT SUPERMAN WHERE IS IT???".
I mean I remember ManaByte ManaByte saying ZSJL is the same as JL 2017, but longer. WTF is this stupid take?

Welp Evilore answered before I was able to so here you go. You are acting like he made the worst movies ever, and maybe you think that way but you need to understand it's not everyone's opinion.
ZSJL is one of the best DC movie for example. 300 inspired so many other movies/scenes and is still awesome to watch. Watchmen is *chef's kiss*, MoS one of the best super hero origin story and BvS UE is one of my favorite movie of all time. Yes.

But of course you know better, don't you? Better than the great Kevin Conroy who applauds his films, as do Grant Morrison, Jay Oliva, Marv Wolfman, Dan Jurgen and many other comic book authors who ALL praise Snyder. But you know better than those famous author right? You are so much better than them amaright? Like Snyder, they don't know anything now, right?

See, that's my problem with you and other. You think you are so much better than other when in the end the amount of toxicity is both sad and unbelievable., wasting so much time on stuff you don't like.
Also NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt you can put the laugh emoji as much as you want, it wont make you smarter.

Just chill, dude. I can’t imagine ever getting this worked up about a film maker I like. If you dragged Chris Nolan hard I wouldn’t get so worked up about it.

DKehoe

That‘s it. He has a strong visual style, but he’s not competent at story or character. Always best when directing things other people have written, and has someone watching over him.
His adaptation of Watchmen is interesting for that reason. He’s playing it very close to the source material and it’s clear he has a lot of respect for it. In a lot of ways he does a great job adapting the story to film, something a lot of people before him had tried and failed to do. But he can’t resist creating a visual spectacle and so thematically the film is at odds (in some respects) to the the comic. In the comic guys like Nite Owl and Rorschach aren’t meant to be cool but Snyder can’t help but frame them that way.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

His adaptation of Watchmen is interesting for that reason. He’s playing it very close to the source material and it’s clear he has a lot of respect for it. In a lot of ways he does a great job adapting the story to film, something a lot of people before him had tried and failed to do. But he can’t resist creating a visual spectacle and so thematically the film at odds (in some respects) to the one the comic tells. In the comic guys like Nite Owl and Rorschach aren’t meant to be cool but Snyder can’t help but frame them that way.

Unfortunately, as you say, the main issue with Watchmen is that he didn’t really understand Moore’s desire to represent violence as an abhorrent and unpleasant thing. Snyder glorifies precisely the things Moore was trying to rail against and deconstruct. It looks right… but it gets everything about the nuances of the story wrong.

That’s rather Snyder’s Achilles heel. He struggles to understand what a story is trying to say. His only concern are visuals. One of the reasons Batman v Superman is so poor, is because he liked the look of The Dark Knight Returns, but completely failed to grasp its meaning.

Ammogeddon

I’m about half way through, it’s a bit meh but I’ll see it through. Some of the cgi is a bit basic, almost jarring in places.

I see you ripping off elements of Warhammer 40k too Snyder (as well as many other IPs). Imperium my arse. It annoys me to think that some might end up thinking 40K ripped off this.

Sleepwalker

Pretty much, I find the hatred pretty fucking weird. He's just a guy making movies, not satan. Just skip the work if it's not appealing to you.

I watched it last night, it was ok. The violence being cut down is pretty weird. The decision of having 2 parts 4 months apart is also weird, just release the full thing, people are watching at home anyway.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Look at this completely original, and not at all ripped off character in Zack Snyder’s new sci-fi epic. Its Commissar… sorry, I mean Admiral Cain Noble!

fx2wPRC.jpg

Other completely original things Zack invented for this movie are a fascist empire called the Imperium, run from earth by a corpse king, and a character named Balasarius.

….can this cunt ever come up with anything himself?
I actually had to look the stuff on Google to see if it was real. Unbelievable. They're actually ripping off Warhammer 40,000.

Top Bottom