• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Moon sucks according to ign

Wife and I heard there will be a Directors cut so we stopped watching halfway. We think it's ok and not as bad as critical were saying. Granted the overuse of slow-mo every 5 minutes started to wear on us.

S0ULZB0URNE

After finding out the main star is really...
mwZENKI.gif

On the hollyweird DL.

I still will check it out when my Nakamichi Dragon arrives.

mortal

Gold Member
Maybe they're transitioning cut them some slack?
The trend continues. Hollywierds version of the "bald space marine" and everything brown.
Yea, a lot of modern depictions of the female badass can be condensed to guys with tits.

Badass characters by nature stand out from the norm, so I can understand a type of woman character displaying more masculine traits or behaviors if the aim is to be intimidating.
Tbh I do like my share of masculine female leads, Imo both Alien's Ellen Ripley and ASOIAF's Brienne of Tarth, are well-written and performed characters.
Idk but it feels like many modern depictions conflate strong femininity with being less like a woman and more like a man. It's not even a new concept obviously, but why is that a widespread trope in today's fiction?
Do women even identify with it?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yea, a lot of modern depictions of the female badass can be condensed to guys with tits.

Badass characters by nature stand out from the norm, so I can understand a type of woman character displaying more masculine traits or behaviors if the aim is to be intimidating.
Tbh I do like my share of masculine female leads, Imo both Alien's Ellen Ripley and ASOIAF's Brienne of Tarth, are well-written and performed characters.
Idk but it feels like many modern depictions conflate strong femininity with being less like a woman and more like a man. It's not even a new concept obviously, but why is that a widespread trope in today's fiction?
I was half joking but yeah her facial features are already enough to make her look tough. The haircut is overkill.

farmerboy

Average movie that felt like it was a mish mash of every trope and stereotype Snyder could get his hands on.

As far as a Saturday arvo time sink goes it was ok.

RAÏSanÏa

With the trailer opening on the horned robot doing a superhero landing the story hopefully expands on what's going on there. I read somewhere the director's cut is suppose to get into it and where the Heavy Metal + R rating comes in. I'm genuinely curious to see what's being told with nothing about to get Veruca Salty about.

FunkMiller

I fucking tried. I honestly did. Mainly because of the Warhammer ripped off stuff.

But I couldn’t do more than forty minutes. The dialogue is horrible. The worst in any of his films. Everything is so tired and cliched. It doesn’t even look nice. It’s an ugly, stupid movie that feels AI generated. Easily the worst thing he’s made, I think, other than BvS.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I fucking tried. I honestly did. Mainly because of the Warhammer ripped off stuff.

But I couldn’t do more than forty minutes. The dialogue is horrible. The worst in any of his films. Everything is so tired and cliched. It doesn’t even look nice. It’s an ugly, stupid movie that feels AI generated. Easily the worst thing he’s made, I think, other than BvS.

Damn. You thought it was worse than Army of the Dead?

S0ULZB0URNE

You bought the dragon? Nice. Any particular reason why you went for that over separates?
I have multiple AVR's, am sick of the wiring especially Atmos heights and it was actually cheaper(and less messy) to go with the Dragon instead of building on to my current. My main concern was it's volume but I am hearing it gets super loud.
I find out this week...
What are you on about?
If you don't know that's on you.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Damn. You thought it was worse than Army of the Dead?

Yep. Army Of The Dead is a mess, but it‘s a pretty straightforward zombie flick, and those are hard to screw up on the narrative front. You‘ve also got Bautista‘s natural weird ass charisma working for it. Rebel Moon has no charisma anywhere, and it’s attempting to tell a more complex story, which s why it’s shortcoming as so much more glaring and awful.

Always and again with Snyder… the more interesting, complex or nuanced the story, the worse he is. His talent simply isn’t up to the task of handling anything with any depth.

Neolombax

Did not like it. Thought pacing was bad. Whole movie felt like a JRPG. Main character moves from planet to planet collecting party members for a final boss showdown. Kind of bothered me that people were getting shot with no effects on them at all, they would just drop dead. In any case, I'll still watch part 2.

Toons

Are you being purposely obtuse? You posted the "It's MA'AM!" gif, insinuating that Sofia Boutella (the main star of the movie) is trans. Stop acting like you don't know what you posted.

It's insannnnne to me have have folks here calling, or in any way implying SOFIA BOUTELLA isn't hot af. Idgaf how long her hair is. You just cant win with some people.

Toons

Because that's how the majority of audiences both male and female also conflate strength and power, because that's the image that has been sold by entertainmentfor ages. If you have a cutesy feminine girl excuding power they scoff at it because they can't make that connection. They see it as ridiculous, bitchy, etc.

Been this way for a while. Goes for movies, video game characters, cartoons, even athletes.

Of course, having short hair is just generally better for any sort of combat in any situation. But people want to have their cake and eat it too.

That being said I don't love that haircut on her. You can go for the same look in a way that frames her better. She's still pretty tho

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I really regret watching the movie. It starts really well but it then becomes a badly paced mass effect recruiting gallore. Zack Snyder is a really bad script writer.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I gotta say, while I appreciate lifting the plot from one of the GOAT films ever made and transposing it into a grimdark sci-fi future, JFC it's 50 villagers in a dust bowl, just MOVE like 5 miles over, no one will know :p

Or have these mercs rob someone for the 10,000 bushels. Or earn it. Or anything really other than train farmers to try to resist an INTERSTELLAR BATTLESHIP.

Stuart360

I actually thought it was decent overall, except the pretty weak ending as i was expecting a Magnificent Seven style big battle in the village,
I suppose that will be coming in part 2 with the way the film ended.

This is no Star Wars though, not even the Disney trilogy. Also for a movie that supposedly had a $166mil budget, the effects were very 'tv series' level.

EDIT. Ok yeah just watched the teaser for part 2, thats going to be the Magnificent Seven village battle. Cool.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I gotta say, while I appreciate lifting the plot from one of the GOAT films ever made and transposing it into a grimdark sci-fi future, JFC it's 50 villagers in a dust bowl, just MOVE like 5 miles over, no one will know :p

Or have these mercs rob someone for the 10,000 bushels. Or earn it. Or anything really other than train farmers to try to resist an INTERSTELLAR BATTLESHIP.
Farmers are brave and since in most of films trained farmers win againts a military well equiped imperial army...do not expect other outcome from RM.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Because that's how the majority of audiences both male and female also conflate strength and power, because that's the image that has been sold by entertainmentfor ages. If you have a cutesy feminine girl excuding power they scoff at it because they can't make that connection. They see it as ridiculous, bitchy, etc.

Been this way for a while. Goes for movies, video game characters, cartoons, even athletes.

Of course, having short hair is just generally better for any sort of combat in any situation. But people want to have their cake and eat it too.

That being said I don't love that haircut on her. You can go for the same look in a way that frames her better. She's still pretty tho
The haircut is only in the flashbacks and it seems all the female soldiers had the same haircut as the male soldiers.

In the present she has long hair but it’s also shown she still has strength from her training. As shown in the first scene when she’s doing farm work.

I thought the movie was ok, overall world was intriguing but I have issues with the dialogue and over use of slow motion.

I’ll watch part 2, to see if it gets better.

Edit: Oh shit! I just saw the teaser, her hair cut is back in the present! Ugh!

Last edited:
Didn't hate it. Didn't really like it either. It felt like very normal ZS affair, but it just didn't do it for me. I generally like most ZS movies, even with all the criticisms they've earned. Wife seemed to like it though, so we'll probably watch the next one when that drops.

Only good thing about this was the cinematography and its a 6.5 at best.

Entertained enough to background watch the sequel though

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I watched a bit of it with my boy. The film was passable and definitely a film you don’t need to pay attention to the plot but so many instances where there was unnecessary slow down or blur vision. Will have to finish it but it’s definitely style over substance. As others have said 300 and dawn of the dead are his best works. He needs someone to adapt his ideas into a workable and cohesive script then let him direct but ease off of his trademark style.

Trilobit

That's why I stopped watching Arcane, despite its high praise and its gorgeous visuals. Vi acted just like a typical "toxic masculinity male" with anger issues and violent behaviour. But because she's a girl she's now a strong girl. Oh, and quite often these strong women also need to be gay for some reason.

iu

I don't mind "strong women", but when it means that the character could pretty much be replaced with a male character I check out.

Hot5pur

Movie was an alright flick but rather shallow. I did enjoy it but it is easily forgettable. Will watch part 2 for sure. I think it would have been better served being a show with more background on the characters and actual time to build them up. Plot itself is meh.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's why I stopped watching Arcane, despite its high praise and its gorgeous visuals. Vi acted just like a typical "toxic masculinity male" with anger issues and violent behaviour. But because she's a girl she's now a strong girl. Oh, and quite often these strong women also need to be gay for some reason.

iu

I don't mind "strong women", but when it means that the character could pretty much be replaced with a male character I check out.
I've pondered this a lot because it does seem to be a VERY common trope. Are these "hyper masculine" women made into lesbians because that's an ACTUAL lesbian subgroup (versus, and pardon me if it is too offensive, the butch dyke stereotype of buzz cut, flannel, gravelly voice, etc) or because the writers can't think of a good male pairing for them so they (very often) go with a more feminine/submissive woman because that's what they think a MAN in that position would go for?

No one really bats an eye if the alpha male has a meek housewife, or more often these days, a fairly competent woman in her own right. But hollywood REALLY struggles to give alpha women a convincing male partner. Either it is a beta male played for laughs, some insecure puppet, or an abusive jerk, basically just a foil to prove how "independent and strong" the woman is. Or they just give her a girly girl instead.

Lioness with Zoe Saldana Nichole Kidman was one of the few shows with dominate women with equally (but different) dominate male partners that I can think of off hand. Their husbands played a purely supporting role, they were not co-leads in a Mr and Mrs. Smith sort of way, but they both had careers, opinions, personalities, and clashed with the women in organic and appropriate ways that were not just set-ups for a "you go girl!" type scene. Given it was written by Taylor Sheridan that should come as no surprise I guess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've pondered this a lot because it does seem to be a VERY common trope. Are these "hyper masculine" women made into lesbians because that's an ACTUAL lesbian subgroup (versus, and pardon me if it is too offensive, the butch dyke stereotype of buzz cut, flannel, gravelly voice, etc) or because the writers can't think of a good male pairing for them so they (very often) go with a more feminine/submissive woman because that's what they think a MAN in that position would go for?

No one really bats an eye if the alpha male has a meek housewife, or more often these days, a fairly competent woman in her own right. But hollywood REALLY struggles to give alpha women a convincing male partner. Either it is a beta male played for laughs, some insecure puppet, or an abusive jerk, basically just a foil to prove how "independent and strong" the woman is. Or they just give her a girly girl instead.

Lioness with Zoe Saldana Nichole Kidman was one of the few shows with dominate women with equally (but different) dominate male partners that I can think of off hand. Their husbands played a purely supporting role, they were not co-leads in a Mr and Mrs. Smith sort of way, but they both had careers, opinions, personalities, and clashed with the women in organic and appropriate ways that were not just set-ups for a "you go girl!" type scene. Given it was written by Taylor Sheridan that should come as no surprise I guess.
Regarding media making tough women almost always butchy, angry lesbians, or pretty anti-social? It's a laugh at how that sticks out.

Media companies like to promote about DEI this and that, and the average LBGT person also promotes the view "Hey, treat us the same because we look the same.... you probably couldnt even tell we are LBGT. We can be your neighbour or coworker and you wouldnt even know unless we told you"

Well, if that's the case, what's with all the female heroes often being like Vasquez in Aliens? Instead, just have more LBGT characters that look and act like Ripley. I'm no fashion expert, but who knew just about all LBGT females have buzzcut hair in real life. At least thats what the media portrays. lol

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, if that's the case, what's with all the female heroes often being like Vasquez in Aliens? Instead, just have more LBGT characters that look and act like Ripley. I'm no fashion expert, but who knew just about all LBGT females had buzzcut hair. lol
I've thought about this as well. The issue is that you CAN'T tell a LGB apart from a straight person unless they are costumed in a particular way OR make some sort of VERY deliberate statement or action. This is why in the squad of cops, only the gay one has to visibly show they are gay or have that tired "oh yeah, you are gay and we do or don't care depending on if the writers want us to be accepting allies or douchebag bros" scene while all the hetero cops don't get to ruminate about their wives or smash face with random folks of the opposite sex. The half shaved haircut or specifically colored clothes is the other option. The writers MUST show that characters are LGB or it doesn't "count".

Transgender is a wierd one. If they hire a trans actor could they be playing a cis character? Usually it's pretty obvious if a cis actor is in drag but a trans actor, especially a convincing one, could play cis or trans characters. So once again, its a bit confusing unless they make a deliberate statement which isn't usually an organic and natural way to express themselves. I'm thinking mostly about Hari Nef in YOU, where I don't recall that characters gender ever being discussed, and Laverne Cox has been in a few things where I'm not sure if the character is supposed to be trans or cis. I actually prefer this, as they are presenting as a gender and that's all that is required. The character is either a woman or trans, but it doesn't matter for the script and the actor just does their job and you wouldn't know either way if you were not familiar with the actor specifically. Not all trans actors can do this, but some certainly can.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've thought about this as well. The issue is that you CAN'T tell a LGB apart from a straight person unless they are costumed in a particular way OR make some sort of VERY deliberate statement or action.
And that's the stupid thing about media, DEI supporters and anyone trying to jam gender/sexuality into a tv show, movie or video game plot.

Unless the story specifically requires it to be expressed as an important driver, nobody should really care what the characters' intimate bios are. Just think what you want and enjoy the flick. Now if any LBGT people are complaining there's too many straight scenes and boy gets girl plots, ok fine. For sake of representation and variety, have more LBGT content. But it's hilarious how it's shoehorned in so much with Vasquez and the loud gay guy with the bright shirt.

The content would be more believable and more importantly less stereotypical if more avg looking and acting people did the parts. But hey you never know. Maybe the LBGT community likes to have their identities portrayed as the butchy female or comedic relief gay dude to ensure the point is driven home in a 2 hour movie. So thats what writers will add to their content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom