• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recap of the First half of the year: Xbox has Dominated

Fusebox

Banned
Oh man, way too many amazing games coming out on the Xbox - I just started on Kotor a few days ago and its awesome.

As a matter of fact if it wasnt for SingStar and Eyetoy I wouldnt have even touched my PS2 this year.

Solid

I haven't played any of those :p

Yes, I have a Xbox. But I'm too cheap to buy new games. I usually wait them out before getting them. I know I will get Riddick in a near future, but as I live in Europe it's not out until August (I think).

GT4 Prologue
FFX-2
MGS:TTS

Those are the only titles I've paid fullprice for this year (GT4P don't cost as much as a new game though).

Doom_Bringer said:
lol so true! What was the last big hit on PS2? FFX2?

With the PS2 the big games have always been stuffed in the 2nd half of the year, the PS2 usually picks up steam in August and then it's nonstop from then on.

----

Banned
All they had to release was Ninja Gaiden to dominate this half of the year. That game to me is on the all time greatest experiences list. If you love action games and you don't have an Xbox you are really depriving yourself by not having Ninja Gaiden.

Ninja Gaiden + Pandora Tomorrow + RSC2 + FSW +Riddick + XBL v3.0 + the price drop + the limited edition Halo bundle + EA Sports on XBL; Microsoft has really gotten their shit together after a ho-hum Christmas season. Unfortunately I don't think Rallisport Challenge 2 is going to sell all that well in America. Even though it's such a fun game, Rally games just aren't that big here.

Norse

Its sure hard to downplay the big bad box nowadays. Those that hated it, now own one too. And if they don't, its killing them. hehe

The flood of good games for xbox is almost getting out of hand. Too much stuff to buy.

-Norse

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Good Ole Suikoguy Mr. Xbox Hater is here to chime in!

Yes, the xbox has had a good (even better) year so far, and the list of only xbox (not on PC games) is now considerable. However, just beacuse the xbox is having a great year does not mean you can discredit the existance of other consoles. Yes, Xbox is awesome, but so is PS2.
Of course games like La Pucelle, Onimusha 3: Demon Siege, World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 International and Final Fantasy XI (although niche) is not a bad effort either so far.

Gamecube.. well its gamecube

In other words, xbox is doing what it should have done the year after launch. Its just late doing it.

crumbs

Everytime I'm at the store, there seems to be an Xbox game I want. They're not all AAA titles, but lots of solid releases. Unfortunately, I have neither the time or the money to buy/play them. Oh well.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
And PGR2.

Damn, I was looking around at my recently purchased games (this year's anyway) and you're right. I got RSC2 and PGR2 this year for Xbox, Fight Night and CoN for PS2, and nothing yet for GC. Considering I never buy Xbox games, this is a good sign.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
That's all we needed... another Xbox circle jerk.

LEt's break this down open_mouth_ style:

Ninja Gaiden - C-, 'nuff said
SC: PT - superior on PC
RSC2 - just like the first one and pc port coming soon
FSW - 7.7 and i'll wait for the pc version
Riddick - ps2 version with new levels according to the Diesel man

So when you look at it from an unbiased perspective, that lineup isn't all that hot. ;)

AniHawk

open_mouth_ said:

So when you look at it from an unbiased perspective, that lineup isn't all that hot.

NO, YOU'LL KILL US ALL!

crumbs

Well, I guess you showed us. Clearly you cannot say anything positive about one console without implying that the other suck. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Edit: you edited you post

jedimike

open_mouth_ said:

So when you look at it from an unbiased perspective, that lineup isn't all that hot.

_Open_mouth_ - _insert_foot_

Very, very weak attempt.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
shpankey said:
This year on Xbox IMO has been one of the greatest years for any console ever.

Ahh, i've been trying to be nice, but thats just pushing it a little bit

Xbox has had a good year, but best year for any console!?! Yeah Right

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
shpankey said:
This year on Xbox IMO has been one of the greatest years for any console ever.

correction - will be the greatest with Halo 2 and Fable (assuming it delivers) coming down the pipe, not to mention the momentous 3rd party support for the rest of the year.

This year will be the greatest gaming year ever once it completes. Especially if you own all 3 systems.

November of this year has got to be the most brutal gaming month ever.

KAOS

suikoguy:
By the end of the year it just might be one of the best years in any console's life span!

Suikoguy

SolidSnakex- Exactly!

KAOS- That remains to be seen, I don't have much faith in Fable (and yes I own an Xbox)
and Halo 2 does not = a Lineup

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The real challenge of this topic is to find someone that can provide concrete reasons as to why this isn't the year of the Xbox up to this point.

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
This year will be the greatest gaming year ever once it completes. Especially if you own all 3 systems.

Too true.

The Gamecube has Star Fox, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil 4. The PS2 has R&C3, MGS3, GT4, GTA:SA. The Xbox has Halo 2, Fable, Sudeki, Jade Empire. Multiplatform, there's Viewtiful Joe 2, Tales of Symphonia, Prince of Persia 2, etc...

The Game Boy is surprisingly lacking though. Last year it had FFTA, Mario & Luigi, FE, AW2, Castlevania, SMB3, and The Lost Age. This year, it's been Zero Mission, Mario Golf, and Mario vs. DK.

Dave Long said:
Where's that Niger Please pic?
nigerplz.gif

AeroGod

AniHawk said:
The Gamecube has Star Fox, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil 4. The PS2 has R&C3, MGS3, GT4, GTA:SA. The Xbox has Halo 2, Fable, Sudeki, Jade Empire. Multiplatform, there's Viewtiful Joe 2, Tales of Symphonia, Prince of Persia 2, etc....

::blows brains out::

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Wellington said:
The real challenge of this topic is to find someone that can provide concrete reasons as to why this isn't the year of the Xbox up to this point.

did you not read my earlier post?

AniHawk said:
Too true.

The Gamecube has Star Fox, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil 4. The PS2 has R&C3, MGS3, GT4, GTA:SA. The Xbox has Halo 2, Fable, Sudeki, Jade Empire. Multiplatform, there's Viewtiful Joe 2, Tales of Symphonia, Prince of Persia 2, etc...

Yah I just looked through EB's list of November games for the PS2 and it's scary just how many good games are coming out for it. Even scarier when you consider it's like that for every system.

Ace Combat 5
Chulip
MGS3
Inuyasha
Shadow of Rome
R&C: UYA
Battlefield Modern Combat
GG Isuka
GT4
WWE Smackdown vs. RAW
Killzone
DDS
Suikoden 4
Rumble Roses
Wild ARMS Alter F
Jak 3
Neo Contra

The first 4 games are all coming out the same day.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
speaking of which, i see one of 2 scenarios playing out. Either the industry will increase in size (revenues) greatly, or the increase will only be slight and many (and I mean many ) deserving games (and developers) will get left out in the cold.

Could we be seeing a whole slew of Beyond Good and Evils this year?? I hope not.

i'd agree that 2004 is an amazing year for xbox, and almost too strong... too many games, some great ones wont sell like they should...

i'd say xboxes 2004 lineup is one of the best years in videogaming for a system ever, but in reality, i dont think i'll enjoy it as such... too many games, not enough money, it makes me kind of angry actually...

Hellraizah

Year of the Xbox indeed. If you have one, you're drooling at the flood of good games. If you don't have one, you want one. It's that simple.

jett

D-Member
PS2 has been sucking ass this year so far. It really does seem like YEAR OF TEH XBOX.

I hope MGS3 and AC5 don't disappoint.

The Xbox sorta reminds of the best days of Nintendo 64, in that it seems like there's on high-quality release after another, back-to-back.

Of course, the Xbox has never to my knowledge been through even such terrible droughts that the Nintendo 64 went through. :p

AniHawk said:

It's going to rock when all those games are $20 by March.

Dave Long

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
It's going to rock when all those games are $20 by March.

Which will be when you can also buy stuff like Ninja Gaiden for <$10 at Circuit City.

You guys are like a pack of rabid wolves with this stuff.

Pimpbaa

AniHawk said:

That list makes my wallet hurt. I'm gonna have to stop eating food this fall, or perhaps sell a kidney.

Prine

Banned
Bring out the dancing green bananas. How can we forget Xboxs triumph over PS2 last month?

/rimshot

But yeah, 2004 Year of the xbox.

whats the next big release? Sudeki?

Top Bottom