• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recap of the First half of the year: Xbox has Dominated

Mumbles said:
Does it have games in genres I don't really care about? Sure. Are they good? Hows would I know, I don't like the genre, so I'm certainly in no position to judge, and I don't trust reviews. XBL? The only thing I've used it for was the KOTOR download.

And no, it's not slamming Xbox, just a look at the industry in general. *shrug* this is always a slow time of the year as far as I'm concerned - I bought about as many games so far this year as I would expect to buy during the average week in november. It's hard to think of anyone dominating in that context.

I'm not trying to argue with you but I did say even if those games aren't of your particular ilk or liking you cant deny that they aren't good for console gaming in general. That's the way that YOU feel, fine...but some of us have opinions to the contrary. Sorry it wasn't your favorite console or game genre that took big strides forward, but give props where props is due. And I didn't say that the XBox was dominating (heck that's be the height of stupidity) but it's kinda foolish to argue that the line for 2004 isn't spectacular and mediocre.

O.K. I broke a cardinal rule by even responding in this thread and I'll never do that again. It seems that no matter what is said, some people go shields up and man the battle station when their particular antithesis console is given a thumbs up. I'm not directing any hate your way Mumbles, but look how this simple XBox praise thread has been driven off track and guided off topic for the simple fact that some desperately don't want this console to receive any type of recognition. I just never understood it. I've alwats tried to be objective and never push my opinions, but I'm sorry I feel that stating that the XBox lineup for 2004 is lackluster and ho-hum is really stretching the limits of plausible deniablity. But then that is my opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

I'm off my soapbox and this is my last post in this thread, no matter what is said next. I've learned my lesson. Can't believe I was tupid enough to take the bait...... :mad:

shpankey

not an idiot
Catchpenny said:
Xbox fans: OMG Xbox is teh DOMINATE!!!!1 No other system can compare!
Rest of GA: Well yeah, it's been pretty good but there have also been fun games on other systems.
Xbox fans: Teh jealous Nbots! Why are you in an XBOX thread?! ROOFLES at biased fanboys!

Good God, if you see it that way, you are definately reading with your fanboy glasses on. lol

Mumbles said:
Honestly, I haven't seen reason to think that the Xbox had much beyond Ninja Gaiden this year, and NG was nice, but not enough to dominate much of anything on it's own. FSW? RSC2? I don't even know what those are. As far as I'm concerned, it's been a boring first half for Xbox, same as for every other system.

you dont even know what those are?!

RSC2 is amazing, its probably my second favorite title on Xbox outside of HALO.

and is it just me, or... has Gaming-Age forums userbase dramatically increased in the number of people who own and like their xbox?

pre gaming-age crash = xbox bad
post gaming-age crash = xbox amazing

did people have to go out and play more games during the crash because they couldnt post/read, and then decide to buy an xbox or something?!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think before the "crash" there were a lot more "I bought an Xbox" threads. It's just had several months of stellar releases in comparison to other consoles. Xmas will make us all cry and praise Santa.

Oh, and they let a lot of OA people back in who haven't been embarassed to support it.

Alcibiades

If anyone remembers, I've been saying 2004 would be the year for XBox since like mid last year, but not for the games mentioned... those have all been nice surprises in the success they are getting, but at this point I expected Halo 2, Doom 3,, and Half-Life 2 (which I thought would have all been released by now going on previous release dates)... While XBox has had somewhat more of an impact this year (primarily cause of pricecut), I think these 3 games would have really had an impact...

the games listed are getting positive reviews and will probably sell well, but fans of any system can make a case for their system with a list...

Considering my broad taste in games, I could make a case it's been GCN's year:

Crystal Chronicles
A Wonderful Life
Card Battle Revolution
The Twin Snakes
Pokemon Colosseum
Four Swords
Wario Ware
Custom Robo

+ if you have a GBA Player, the number of cool games goes even higher...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Custom Robo is so objectively shitty I can't believe the Hive is listing it. I say this as someone who cheerleaded the hell out of it's release.

A lot of those games are average at best. Just by review scores if you prefer.

Morphix is back, isn't he? I could've sworn I saw someone with a bunny icon around here and I'm assuming it's him.

All they need to do now is let REIROM's retarded ass in here to drive eveyone nuts.

umm I would say Xbox had a pretty decent run... dominating? Nah, the GBA is the console that constantly dominates with great games. Pity I don't want to spend any more money on my xbox after they fucking PRICE DROPPED IT TO PEANUTS and made me look like a fool for early adopting. And all because of Sega and JSRF (which turned out to be ass). I might get a chip in the machine but til then... I will read these threads and go hmm. I will never spend any $ on a xbox game ever again.

Fusebox

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
. Pity I don't want to spend any more money on my xbox after they fucking PRICE DROPPED IT TO PEANUTS and made me look like a fool for early adopting. And all because of Sega and JSRF (which turned out to be ass). I might get a chip in the machine but til then... I will read these threads and go hmm. I will never spend any $ on a xbox game ever again.

Lol, I think you're doing a good enough job looking like a fool on your own.

Musashi Wins! said:
Custom Robo is so objectively shitty I can't believe the Hive is listing it. I say this as someone who cheerleaded the hell out of it's release.

A lot of those games are average at best. Just by review scores if you prefer.
*shrug*

JediMike was listing Tekki Online, Metal Slug 3, etc. Figured it was sort of catch-as-catch-can.

I'd rather play Twin Snakes than anything on the Xbox this year so far, but that's my love for cinematic games. Also the ability to shoot myself in the crotch, which would have dangerous consequences in real life.

Open_FooT said:
Riddick - ps2 version with new levels according to the Diesel man.

Open Foot, do you have link to this? Everyone says it exits but I can't find it. Tell me or I'll insert my foot in your mouth.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Kobun Heat said:
*shrug*

JediMike was listing Tekki Online, Metal Slug 3, etc. Figured it was sort of catch-as-catch-can.

I'd rather play Twin Snakes than anything on the Xbox this year so far, but that's my love for cinematic games. Also the ability to shoot myself in the crotch, which would have dangerous consequences in real life.

Do you think Custom Robo is better than Metal Slug 3? I'm just curious about your personal preference here.

Alcibiades

Musashi Wins! said:
Do you think Custom Robo is better than Metal Slug 3? I'm just curious about your personal preference here.

I think Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda and Tetris are better than many of today's releases, doesn't mean I wouldn't rather being playing current games for the moment...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
efralope said:
I think Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda and Tetris are better than many of today's releases, doesn't mean I wouldn't rather being playing current games for the moment...

Unless their shit. Like Custom Robo. But then, that has nothing to do with it which is clear.

jarrod

Banned
MetaKnight said:
Open Foot, do you have link to this? Everyone says it exits but I can't find it. Tell me or I'll insert my foot in your mouth.
It was canceled, Starbreeze couldn't get it running well enough on PS2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55748

Senior sources have confirmed today that Starbreeze, the developer of the supposedly Xbox-exclusive Chronicles of Riddick, is currently putting together a PlayStation 2 version.

"I played a three-level disc on PlayStation 2," said a UK insider. "Starbreeze is doing it."

No further details have yet come forth, and publisher Vivendi-Universal has declined to comment on the matter today.

Riddick has already been released in the US, and is currently being heavily pushed alongside the theatrical release ahead of its European launch in August, and is gathering high review scores as one of the greatest uses of a film licence yet seen. The Xbox game makes spectacular use of Normal Mapping and lighting tricks, along with the voice and image of bald muscleman Vin Diesel himself. Read our full review of Riddick right here.

Rumours are now circulating that the new version will be aimed at the Christmas rush, and is likely to ship in October. However, the fact that that's just four months away, the question begs: why would Vivendi want to keep the port quiet, and how could the PS2 cope with the game's advanced graphical techniques?

The move, if verified by Vivendi, will mark a similar strategy to Ubisoft's handling of Splinter Cell and its sequel, which saw technically superior Xbox versions brought to market months ahead of the PlayStation 2 version.

Watch for confirmation of Riddick for PS2 in the coming months.

Oh the drama!
;) Anyone! Link to Vin saying what he said. I'll pay you in gold!

If Riddick on the PS2 is true, I can't wait to see it. I'm curious how it'll look and if they'll be able to pull off the normal mapping or if the PS2 manages the game without that strange blurring that the Xbox version has.

And if they're not able to do it, I look forward to seeing Marty Chinn cry. It's win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Fusebox

Banned
MetaKnight said:
Senior sources have confirmed today that Starbreeze, the developer of the supposedly Xbox-exclusive Chronicles of Riddick, is currently putting together a PlayStation 2 version.

"I played a three-level disc on PlayStation 2," said a UK insider. "Starbreeze is doing it."

I hope its true just as much as everyone else does, but lol at the weight behind this article.:p

Demigod Mac

Dear me. Gents, call off this needless civil dissidence.

"Opinons are like assholes. Everyone has them." << Study. LEARN.

Think Xbox is TeH XXX-Best Baddest Bump Mapp System EvaR; Microsoft's Gift to Hardcore Gamers? Cool.

Like fun quirky Japanese RPGs and think the PS2's library whumps that big ugly American Xbox's ass any day? Yay.

Does GameCube's library appeal to you when other people automatically dismiss it as worthless? Good for you.

Don't shove your opinion down the throats of others. It only belies the flagrant confidence in your gaming choices which you so so loudly expound.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=105063

Thursday 20th May 2004

EXCLUSIVE: RIDDICK BREAKS OUT ON PS2

Starbreeze Studios' FPS that's stunning on Xbox is "up and running" on Sony's console

16:21 Starbreeze Studios' Xbox-bound first-person shooter The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is also in development for PS2, we can exclusively reveal. A reliable source operating close to the developer has informed us that the version for Sony's console has been in production for a few months, and is "already up and running and looking fairly solid on PS2".
Movie tie-in titles are usually so-so affairs, but Escape from Butcher Bay, which is loosely connected to films Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, has surprised many, the Xbox rendition of the title impressing with not just its looks but also fluid and enticing gameplay that combines gunplay with stealth elements and hand-to-hand combat.

Although we would expect gameplay to more or less remain intact in Riddick on PS2, Sony's console simply can't compete with Xbox's brute power - meaning we'd expect a significant hit to the graphical gloss we've seen in the Xbox version.

As this stage it's currently unclear whether or not there is a publishing deal in place for the PS2 version. Certainly, there was no official word from E3, and Starbreeze may have begun development off its own back with an aim of taking a solid version to Vivendi for its consideration.

Equally plausible, given the inexplicable lack of hype from Vivendi in the run up to the June release of the Xbox version, is that the publisher didn't realise it had such a potentially huge hit on its hands until late in the day, and is trying to make the most of the situation by turning it multiformat. Since the game is undoubtedly one of the finest looking console games we've ever seen, plus great fun to boot, PS2 owners should be crossing their fingers.

Querying Riddick publisher Vivendi earlier today about the exisitence of the title on PS2, a spokesperson responded with "no comment". Developer Starbreeze remained unavailable for comment at the time of writing. As soon as we hear more, we'll let you know.

-Stuart Bishop

Like the spinning of a clock, it never ends.

BTW, I still need the Vin confirming it thing. Why doesn't gold interest you people?

Fusebox

Banned
Demigod Mac said:
<something that gets repeated once every few weeks>

Not this rant again, the new boards just aren't ready for this kind of righteous hypocrisy yet dammit!

I mean, why do you even bother coming to forums if not to give your opinion on a topic that somebody else has started?

MetaKnight said:
Although we would expect gameplay to more or less remain intact in Riddick on PS2, Sony's console simply can't compete with Xbox's brute power - meaning we'd expect a significant hit to the graphical gloss we've seen in the Xbox version.

I WANT TO TASTE MARTY CHINN'S TEARS!!!

Demigod Mac

By all means, debate! But do use facts, logic, and reasoning to present arguments. Heavy reliance on opinions as the crux of debate precipitates asinine bickering.

Demigod Mac said:
By all means, debate! But do use facts, logic, and reasoning to present arguments. Heavy reliance on opinions as the crux of debate precipitates asinine bickering.

Oh jesus fucking christ, we're talking about games here. There's no concrete facts to debate 'cause this is always a subjective argument. If you don't want to see people spouting off their opinion then you're in the wrong place.

Justin

Xbox is having a great year. I own all three systems and here is what i have bought for each one in the last six months.

Xbox - Hitman Contracts, Rallisport 2, Steel Batalion LOC, Splinter Cell PT, Ninja Gaiden, Bond EON, Riddick and FSW. Also XBL is kicking so much ass with SC:pT and Rainbow Six still going strong. They also just released the 13th or 14th new level for GR:IT.

PS2 - nothing

GCN - nothing

PC - Thief 3, UT2k4

novery

budala1 said:
Counter Strike>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SC:pT online

You're not talking about Counter Strike on Xbox, are you? Well, either way it makes little sense:

Counter Strike (Xbox) = crappy graphics, crappy load times, crappy port
Counter Strike (PC) = "your all stoopid! Half Life >>>>>>>>>>>>> Riddick!11!"

callous

Hellraizah said:
Year of the Xbox indeed. If you have one, you're drooling at the flood of good games. If you don't have one, you want one. It's that simple.

No, seriously. It still doesn't really interest me when seen in comparison to PS2 and GC.

Bebpo

Banned
Justin said:
Xbox is having a great year. I own all three systems and here is what i have bought for each one in the last six months....

Xbox is definitely having a great year, but I don't quite understand how an owner of "all three systems" has not bought a single PS2 or GC release in the past 6 months?

For example If I listed the games in the past few months that I've purchased it skews the other way with PS2 having more titles, but that's just because everyone's tastes are different.

Multiplatform owning and multi-console loving is seriously the only way to go these days with each system getting great exclusives.

Bebpo

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I think the majority of the people here are multiplatform gamers.

Yes but the odd thing about here is that even if a person owns all 3 systems, they tend to be a fanboy towards one of them and make negative remarks towards the other 2. Doesn't tend to happen outside the internet communities IMO, but something about forums just brings out the fanboy in all of us (myself included)

Bebpo said:
Yes but the odd thing about here is that even if a person owns all 3 systems, they tend to be a fanboy towards one of them and make negative remarks towards the other 2. Doesn't tend to happen outside the internet communities IMO, but something about forums just brings out the fanboy in all of us (myself included)

Agreed. I always own the main systems in each gen, but I also tend to gravitate to one more than the other(s). Succumbing to human nature? Yes. However, I don't make disparaging remarks about other, 'less-favored' platforms lightly and based on nothing more than some form of envy or hate. Engaging in lengthy video game debates on message boards and chatrooms, like arguing amongst friends on your porch, can tend to polarize your views rather quickly.

Mjunter

Probably why it's usually best to just lurk here. Just soak up the gaming news and shake your head at some of the other posters.

rastex

Banned
Mjunter said:
Probably why it's usually best to just lurk here. Just soak up the gaming news and shake your head at some of the other posters.

Very, very well said. This becomes especially true when you're actually inside the industry.

Mashing

Bebpo said:

As much as I try not too.. that probably describes me.... I own all 3 systems, but I like the GC the most. Doesn't mean that's the one I play the most, ironically enough.

COCKLES

being watched
Cubsfan23 said:
Ninja Gaiden
SC: PT
RSC2
FSW
Riddick

discuss

Cubsfan23 gets the Cockles XBOT OF THE MONTH tm award for June.

You've done your fellow 'bots proud.

xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif

BlackMage

Banned
I hate the X-Box and I am usually one of the most jaded PS2 Fanboys on the forum. You just don't know it cause I don't post much ;P. That being said, X-Box stomped on PS2 during the first half of the year as far as Quality game releases. The only games I feel were worth buying this year on PS2 are FFXI and Onimusha 3. Actually, I'm pretty pissed right now cause there were lots of hyped games for PS2 that turned into disappointments (ex: CoN). Now, as far as X-Box dominating the whole year; that remains to be seen. I've got my money on PS2 kicking X-box's ass the rest of the year, because, well... im a Sony fanboy afterall.

Subitai

Riddick won't be on PS2 the way it's on Xbox now because of the "Only On Xbox" logo the Riddick box has. I think there will be a Riddick game on PS2, but there will be some new gameplay feature that lets THQ change the title.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I've only got one new Xbox title since November, and that's Beyond Good & Evil. It's partly because I can't afford to buy a lot of new games for full price, but it's also because there are other titles for all three consoles that interest me more (for a lower price, usually). One good game for you isn't neccessarily one good game for me. Xbox still lacks a Katamari Damacy, for example. And Gregory Horror Show. :p
So yeah, I'll still be using my Xbox primarily for emulators and playing movies.

Top Bottom