• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recap of the First half of the year: Xbox has Dominated

AniHawk

Prine said:
Bring out the dancing green bananas. How can we forget Xboxs triumph over PS2 last month?

/rimshot

But yeah, 2004 Year of the xbox.

whats the next big release? Sudeki?

I thought it went Fable > Halo 2/JE > Sudeki. Thought Sudeki was pushed to the end of the year.

Floyd

2004 is X-Box year no doubt about it. Ninja Gaiden was just beautiful.

I would be celebrating about it more if i didn't despise certain X-Bots so much. God they are annoying.

Prine

Banned
You maybe right, i dont keep up with release dates until someone mentions it here. One date i do have down is november 9th :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Floyd said:

I would be celebrating about it more if i didn't despise certain X-Bots so much. God they are annoying.

You know, I feel the same way
I like the xbox and all, but certain people push it over the top

I've not played Ninja Gaiden yet (too cheap to spend 50 dollars any more) so I can't comment on it

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Dave Long said:
Which will be when you can also buy stuff like Ninja Gaiden for <$10 at Circuit City.

You guys are like a pack of rabid wolves with this stuff.

...Said one of the first people to go on the offensive in this topic. Give it up already dude, go fishing elsewhere.

Just looked it up and saw that Sudeki comes out July 13th.

pledge.gif

God Bless Xbox

Dave Long

Banned
Wellington said:
...Said one of the first people to go on the offensive in this topic. Give it up already dude, go fishing elsewhere.

Who's fishing? You guys bring it on yourselves by claiming superiority over all with nutty threads like this.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dave Long said:
Who's fishing? You guys bring it on yourselves by claiming superiority over all with nutty threads like this.

Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner!
I don't see people creating threads with countless "God Bless PS2" or "PS2 IS AWESOME AWESOME IS PS2"

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
As I said on the previous page, please provide at least some sort of list of games to show that Xbox did not dominate the first half of this year.

I'm hate the damned thing and even I have to admit that it's had a great... past three months. ;)

I don't see people creating threads with countless "God Bless PS2" or "PS2 IS AWESOME AWESOME IS PS2"

Then make one...
WTF.gif

Demigod Mac

Indeed, good sirs. Xbox fans should simmer down and enjoy the games without feeling the need to post threads mired with the intention of shamelessly promoting their purported superiority.

Mrbob

Errr, Ninja Gaiden isn't going to go into clearance mode. It has already sold enough in the first month to qualify for Plaitnum Hits status. It'll be 20 and then more gamers will be able to pick up the best action game of 2004!! Tecmo did it right by releasing the game in March and the sales proved to be the right decision (362K in the first month. Number one title for March). They didn't try to battle every other title in November/December. This year is going to be much worse because their weren't many superstar titles last xmas. This xmas there are 4 or 5 that is going to gulp up most of gaming dollars! But hey if developers still think November/December is the only time to sell games let them all cannabilize each others sales!

But back on topic, Xbox is really strutting its stuff in 2004. Year of the Xbox has finally come to fruition! Only a couple years late! ;)

Fusebox

Banned
Suikoguy said:

Think really hard about why that might be...

Bailey's Dad said:
Before this year you didn't even have a PS2.

Yeah but only by choice, you know that - before SingStar and EyeToy there was nothing that interested me enough to want to own one. The Xbox provided me with enough gaming to not need other consoles, but SingStar and EyeToy are awesome experiences I cant get on the Xbox so I just had to pick a PS2 up coz "I'm a super staaaaarrrr!"

Edit - why am I the one who always take the bait anyway?

Mumbles

Wellington said:
As I said on the previous page, please provide at least some sort of list of games to show that Xbox did not dominate the first half of this year.

Honestly, I haven't seen reason to think that the Xbox had much beyond Ninja Gaiden this year, and NG was nice, but not enough to dominate much of anything on it's own. FSW? RSC2? I don't even know what those are. As far as I'm concerned, it's been a boring first half for Xbox, same as for every other system.

Dave Long said:
Which will be when you can also buy stuff like Ninja Gaiden for <$10 at Circuit City.

You guys are like a pack of rabid wolves with this stuff.

Did I miss something? Generalized statement about ridiculous oversaturation = stuff related to pack of rabid wolves?

shpankey

not an idiot
Floyd said:

Heh, I was actually thinking that exact same thing about some of the GameCube fanboys. I almost hate Nintendo just because of them. Then I realize they are just a weird few and not the whole. Pretty much every system has annoying as fuck fanboys (GCN IMO the most) so it's not really a good enough reason.

SiNCeRe

Splinter Cell: PT - 93%
Ninja Gaiden - 92.1%
Chronicles of Riddick - 88.9%
Rallisport Challenge 2 - 88.6%
Full Spectrum Warrior - 87.2%

~ GameRanking

So far it's been a fantastic year for the Xbox.
xthumbsup.gif

shpankey

not an idiot
Mrbob said:
Yes it is.

Nintendo has the most annoying collection of fanboys on the planet. Maybe Mars too.

Anyone who remembers the e3 video that CNN Headline News had of that fat kid in the audience when Nintendo had the Zelda video first come on knows what he ^^^ means lol. I mean, that was just on another level. Even Dan "Shoe" was ragging on the Nintendo fanboys in that segment.

Prine

Banned
shpankey said:
Anyone who remembers the e3 video that CNN Headline News had of that fat kid in the audience when Nintendo had the Zelda video first come on knows what he ^^^ means lol. I mean, that was just on another level. Even Dan "Shoe" was ragging on the Nintendo fanboys in that segment.

lol really? Gamespy said something similar

AniHawk

shpankey said:

I never saw that footage, but Zelda being what it now looks like was and is a pretty big deal.

Mumbles said:
Honestly, I haven't seen reason to think that the Xbox had much beyond Ninja Gaiden this year, and NG was nice, but not enough to dominate much of anything on it's own. FSW? RSC2? I don't even know what those are. As far as I'm concerned, it's been a boring first half for Xbox, same as for every other system.

Your kidding right? Normally I stay out of these argumentative fanboy bait threads. You're entitled to your opinion, but the above statement is a wee bit of a stretch. Even the most jaded gamer will admit that the XBox has had a stellar line for 2004. Regradless if you aren't impressed with the platform or not, you have to admit there has been some exciting and innovative stuff on this platform (XBL3.0, Splinter Cell:pT, FSW, Riddick, Thief 3, TOCA2, Steel Battalion:LoC, I could go on). Even if the those games are your cup of tea, you have to admit that they've created new benchmarks in console gaming.

This forum always cracks me up when it comes to system 'ponificating' and bashing. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a thread giving the XBox a thumbs up. The console is finally starting to seperate itself form the pack and show its strengths. Give the ole suitcase of a console it's props. ;)

Hellraizah

With all this momentum behind the Xbox right now, I think the Xenon has a chance to get a lot of hype. Sony won't be able to enjoy such success over its competitors next gen.

Mashing

Xenon is screwed if it doesn't have backwards compatablity... it's as black and white as that, especially if PS3 and Revolution have BC. An absolutely huge selling point. If they have Halo 3 ready for launch though, that would definately help to soften the blow and get more early adopters.

Personally, I'm really upset it won't have BC. A major selling point of mine now (and you can thank Sony for that).

Mashing said:
it's as black and white as that

You really think the PS2 did so well because of the backward compatibility? Are you suggesting the GC could have matched PS2 sales if it had backward compatibility?

Because if you're not, then it's not "black and white" as that.

Apharmd Battler said:
This forum always cracks me up when it comes to system 'ponificating' and bashing. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a thread giving the XBox a thumbs up. The console is finally starting to seperate itself form the pack and show its strengths. Give the ole suitcase of a console it's props. ;)

It's absolutely painful to see praise for the Xbox for some people.

jarrod

Banned
GBA has had a decent little first half, though it only recently started getting really good. Not quite as good as last year (nothings been near the quality of Advance Wars 2) but solid none the less...

-Metriod: Zero Mission
-Mario Vs Donkey Kong
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour
-River City Ransom EX
-Shining Soul II
-Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
-MegaMan Battle Network 4 Red Sun/Blue Moon
-SabreWulf
-Sonic Advance 3
-Classic NES Series

...good stuff. :)

And GCN had a pretty good first half, especially for multiplayer:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Wario Ware
Custom Robo
PSO III
Pokemon Colosseum
Zelda: FSA

explodet

It's been a GREAT year for Gamecube multiplayer. And the Plus worlds in Mario vs. Donkey Kong are kicking my ass.

As for the PS2, I dunno... I love mine to death, but there hasn't been anything I've wanted to play for 2004 - I would have picked up La Pucelle but it was too soon for me after Disgaea.

Some of the games weren't well received (what the hell happed to Syphon Filter?) Plus, quite a few of the good games (Fight Night, Hitman, Red Dead Revolver) were also released for the Xbox.

lordmrw

open_mouth_ said:
Could we be seeing a whole slew of Beyond Good and Evils this year?? I hope not.

We will. Its inevitable. There's only so many games people can buy in a month or so. I'll use myself as an example. When it comes down to it, people are going to buy their must have games, while saying they can pick up the other games at a later date. That mentality is why lesser known releases don't survive during christmas.

Mumbles

Apharmd Battler said:
Your kidding right? Normally I stay out of these argumentative fanboy bait threads. You're entitled to your opinion, but the above statement is a wee bit of a stretch. Even the most jaded gamer will admit that the XBox has had a stellar line for 2004. Regradless if you aren't impressed with the platform or not, you have to admit there has been some exciting and innovative stuff on this platform (XBL3.0, Splinter Cell:pT, FSW, Riddick, Thief 3, TOCA2, Steel Battalion:LoC, I could go on). Even if the those games are your cup of tea, you have to admit that they've created new benchmarks in console gaming.

Does it have games in genres I don't really care about? Sure. Are they good? Hows would I know, I don't like the genre, so I'm certainly in no position to judge, and I don't trust reviews. XBL? The only thing I've used it for was the KOTOR download.

And no, it's not slamming Xbox, just a look at the industry in general. *shrug* this is always a slow time of the year as far as I'm concerned - I bought about as many games so far this year as I would expect to buy during the average week in november. It's hard to think of anyone dominating in that context.

lordmrw said:
We will. Its inevitable. There's only so many games people can buy in a month or so. I'll use myself as an example. When it comes down to it, people are going to buy their must have games, while saying they can pick up the other games at a later date. That mentality is why lesser known releases don't survive during christmas.

Certain games this holiday just need to be delayed because they're going to be completely overlooked. I mean within a span of less than a month the PS2 is going to have GTA:SA, MGS3 and GT4 all released, so alot of lesser hyped game on the system (aka every other game on the system) are going to get overlooked. Some like Jak 3 or R&C3 will be able to survive it. But it'd be smart of Atlus to delay something like DDS (as much as I want it) same with a delay for Chulip. There's just no way they're going to get atention with those releases coming.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
And GCN had a pretty good first half, especially for multiplayer:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Wario Ware
Custom Robo
PSO III
Pokemon Colosseum
Zelda: FSA

As the Shogun of Harlem, I declare your list to be 99 and 44/100ths weaksauce!

Don't forget Harvest Moon: AWL for Gamecube this first half. Best Harvest Moon yet.

I think Xbox and Cube have had pretty good years so far, while PS2 has been disappointing. If Champions of Norrath hadn't been such a mess online, and MVP didn't have a completely buggered Franchise Mode, I'd feel differently.

On the other hand, I still own twice as many PS2 games as Gamecube games, and more Gamecube games than Xbox games. There's plenty of good stuff coming for all three consoles in the second half of the year, as well, and I plan to buy more PS2 games than Cube or Xbox games in the next six months. Bragging about a six month run of good software is rather silly, especially when it's the quieter half of the year anyway.

Fusebox

Banned
Xbox thread.

People calling other people Xbots in an Xbox thread.

Gamecube release list shields up.

Yay, GAF is slowly getting back to its former self!

Musashi Wins! said:
lol, good Cube control. We need more "professional" fanboyz.
The point is basically that you can make the case that it's the year of any console you want it to be the year of.

Xbox fans: OMG Xbox is teh DOMINATE!!!!1 No other system can compare!
Rest of GA: Well yeah, it's been pretty good but there have also been fun games on other systems.
Xbox fans: Teh jealous Nbots! Why are you in an XBOX thread?! ROOFLES at biased fanboys!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Kobun Heat said:
The point is basically that you can make the case that it's the year of any console you want it to be the year of.

No shit, Kobun. These are the worthless threads of any stripe we all cackle at. It's all in fun. Especially if you own an Xbox in 2004!

Top Bottom