• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattergen

reddwgif.gif

HOLLY.JPG

This show rocks. I haven't seen it in awhile though. I've lost track of a way to watch it these days... Is the series still ongoing? It probably sucks now, but the seasons I have on tape are still helarious. I need some more Red Dwarf damn it!

I've been waiting for the movie for... damn, its been a long time! IMDB still has it listed as pre-production. Anyone know anything about that?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
the last two series or so SUCKED. Badly.

It just seemed that once the budget went up, the whole thing fell apart.

A shame.

Pattergen said:
reddwgif.gif

This show rocks. I haven't seen it in awhile though. I've lost track of a way to watch it these days... Is the series still ongoing? It probably sucks now, but the seasons I have on tape are still helarious. I need some more Red Dwarf damn it!

I've been waiting for the movie for... damn, its been a long time! IMDB still has it listed as pre-production. Anyone know anything about that?

Seasons 1-4 are available in North America on DVD right now. I think the series stopped at nine, although as usual for any BBC series, the funding became more erratic, the writer's began to hate each other, and the actors began to demand more money. I seem to recall one of the seasons even missing Rimmer? The movie is on again/off again because of the same issues.

Damn funny for a good long while though.

Pattergen

I'm still trying to find cable listings of the show in my area. Used to be no problem finding it...

Damn it, I want to watch the tapes I have but I am in the process of moving, and they are at the other house. Ugh.

My favorite episodes: Back to Reality, Rimmer World, and Statis Leak.

That show was killed by it's budget.

After they got the high tech graphics two things happened.

They got lazy with their scene changes. If you watch, almost every time they go anywhere in Starbug, it's just the same animation, horizontally flipped with a different starscape behind it and they just repeat that three times (flip, flip, flip)

Also, the lack of a live audience or laugh track ruined another part of the atmosphere. It just added so much to the scenes.

Part of the appeal was the cheap look of the show, the semi-real styrofoam ship parts, they had decent looking stuff, but the fact that is was cheesy gave it charm.

Trying to make it into a semi-serious space adventure was a bad idea. If they had left things the way they were, it would still be in production today.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They use to show it on PBS around here, but that stopped about 6 months ago. :(

I must buy the dvds then, stupid PBS doesn't know how to pick the right British comedies anymore. Return Red Dwarf to me!

Pattergen

Yeah, PBS was my Red Dwarf source.

Sucks that it went to shit... But it is kind of funny that it was partly because of increase in money. Oh well... seasons 2-5 ruled, and that is an amazing feat to be funny that long.

Relive your Red Dwarf memories here .

BTW I just remembered an episode where the guys get a shipment of like virtual reality video game headsets or something. I don't remember the episodes name, I looked but I couldn't find it. That episode ruled.

The VR episode is "Better than Life."

I've only seen seasons 1-6, and it's prolly better that way. My first ever online account name was "DaveLister" on AOL ... no numbers or anything, this was back when AOL only ran on the GeOS client in DOS ... I learned to play the theme song on the piano (and I don't play the piano), and I convinced my mom to make me curry vindaloo. Good times, those.

My favorite episode is the one where Lister travels back in time to steal the invention of Stress Paper (bubble wrap painted red). Talkie Toaster is also wonderful.

JackFrost2012 said:
My favorite episode is the one where Lister travels back in time to steal the invention of Stress Paper (bubble wrap painted red).
To be nitpicky, Tension Sheets. Popping some wrap recently I've been thinking of making some tension sheets as a gag gift. No money for you, Thicky Holden!

Crazymoogle said:
I seem to recall one of the seasons even missing Rimmer? The movie is on again/off again because of the same issues.
Concerning Rimmer,
yeah, he was out for a season. His character was written off by it replacing the previous (of a huge number of) Ace Rimmer. When the nanites rebuilt the Dwarf, though, that included the people inside it, including Rimmer. This is a fresh Rimmer, though, so he's alive and wouldn't have the memory of the previous seasons
. Concerning the movie, I'm sure I read that it shot sometime last year. Let me check on that... no, I guess not. Though rehearsals were three years ago. o_O Evidently getting the funding has been a bit of a hell.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/archive/content.cfm?category=3
Question No 8 - The film's taking forever - have you considered going back to the TV series?

I'd love to go back to the TV series, but the movie wouldn't have got to the stage it has without my fulltime, or nearly-fulltime, commitment. Also, we can't accept a commission to do a TV series if we're on the brink of getting the movie off the ground any moment and that's how it's appeared for some time now.

*looks at season 1-4 dvd's*

*looks at 20+ red dwarf videos*

WAHEY! :D

"Step us up to red alert!"

"Are you absolutely sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The end of season 8 was great, the earlier seasons were probably slightly better but it never lost its charm.

The later series may ahve been weaker but tbh Red Dwarf had to evolve or it would simply fade away. Look at the first 2 series, they are extremely philosophical and science based. Then series 3 it changed, brough in star bug so they cud go places with ease. Then series 6 and 7 they chase after red dwarf, then 8 they find it again but everyones back to life. Its a rather groovy progression. Still even the weaker series had some great episodes. Like in series 7, Blue with the Rimmer Munchin song :p

"2X4B what a jerky middle name!"

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Has anyone else seen the failed US version? Just terrible, although it did have Daphne from Frasier as Holly. I'm so happy it didn't make it past pilot though.

MrPing1000 said:
The later series may ahve been weaker but tbh Red Dwarf had to evolve or it would simply fade away. Look at the first 2 series, they are extremely philosophical and science based. Then series 3 it changed, brough in star bug so they cud go places with ease. Then series 6 and 7 they chase after red dwarf, then 8 they find it again but everyones back to life. Its a rather groovy progression. Still even the weaker series had some great episodes. Like in series 7, Blue with the Rimmer Munchin song :p

"2X4B what a jerky middle name!"

Changing the *FOCUS* of the show, was a good Idea. There is nothing wrong with shifting the plot around to keep viewers interested.

They changed their Production Style, and THAT was the detriment to the show. Not the character changes. Just they way they went about things. I outlined some above.

My family is Irish, and british humor was a huge thing in my household as a kid. I grew up watching red dwarf, and I watched it evolve.

[DaveLister]It blossomed beautifully until season 6 ended, and then... some horrible genetic mutation turned it into a rugby players jockstrap."[/DaveLister]

*Edit* They managed to keep the same style and charisma for 6 seasons. Even their First episodes were good. "The End" was a brilliant start, and they never changed the overall feel of the show. After season 6 the feel changed with the updated graphics and budget... :( *plays taps*

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
RedDwarf said:
Has anyone else seen the failed US version? Just terrible, although it did have Daphne from Frasier as Holly. I'm so happy it didn't make it past pilot though.

Yes, I have suffered that misfortune (at a Red Dwarf convention in Manchester). Some things were not meant to be remade for an American audience.

snaildog

I used to collect the videos (only got four, I was pretty poor then). It's definitely one of my favourite comedies, one of the few that can balance a decent story and characters with the laughs. Rimmer was actually a very deep sad person. My favourite episodes are Backwards, the first Ace Rimmer one, and the one with all the famous historical waxwork people.

maharg

idspispopd
As far as I'm concerned, Red Dwarf was dead to me when it went all starbug all the time. And it started focusing far too much on Cat and Kryten, who were imo far weaker characters than Dave, Rimmer, and even Holly. These things bothered me more than the production value yoyo to be honest.

Before all the shit started hitting the fan, though, it was easily one of the top 5 sci fi shows of all time. :)

snaildog

I liked Cat in the first series or two when he hunted for food and tried to have sex with everything... in the end he just went on about fashion all the time and got boring.

8bit

Knows the Score
RedDwarf said:

Yeah, it's horrid. I think I found it on emule a while back, but it's not worth the time spent finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom