• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is ceasing development. Players will be refunded

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
“GAAS games are the future”

laughing-hard-controlling-laugh-tp9t6yodxng1bnk4.webp

Krathoon

There is enough to enjoy about the game. I just get the impression that it is a janky experience.

It reminds me of some old videogames back when devlopment teams were small.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The whole refund thing is going to be a pain in the ass. They might as well just release the two characters.

Apparently, they think that most people will not go through the process to get the refund.

It is also a credit refund. So, I bet they will still have your money.

Last edited:

BigLee74

The game wasn't even as bad as people pretend it was.
This game launched rough. It looked so broken with texture loading issues galore, and was a poor 30fps.

When they fixed that and brought out the 60fps mode, it immediately looked and felt infinitely better - but everyone had already moved on. If it had released like that initially, it might have been a different story.

Poor management and decisions on this one.

This game launched rough. It looked so broken with texture loading issues galore, and was a poor 30fps.

When they fixed that and brought out the 60fps mode, it immediately looked and felt infinitely better - but everyone had already moved on. If it had released like that initially, it might have been a different story.

Poor management and decisions on this one.
I played it after the patches. Thought it was pretty good, not a classic.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah? I see more lies than anything else. Or maybe not lies, but just spewing bullshit. He talks so much and makes everyone think he is such a gotdang savior, but he's just full of shit.

Everything about Xbox has gotten worse with him in charge.
I don't think he sets out to lie so much as he is just not a very good visionary

BigLee74

Didn't they 'cease' a year ago? Weren't they supposed to patch a 60fps mode a loooong time ago? Or did it happen?
60fps mode was released a long time ago. Game immediately felt better, but no one was left to play it. I gave it 10 minutes and thought ‘nah, can’t be arsed with this now, too many other good games on my backlog’.

First impressions generally matter. Cyberpunk is about the only game that managed to turn around a disastrous start.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You're forgetting that gaas hero dota shooter that released around overwatch's release.

Are you talking about that game with ugly and nauseating character designs called Edge something? That game last so little that nobody cared.

Pejo

Gold Member
This is probably the first time I've seen that the Arrested Development reference actually tracks.

This game has never ever looked good to me, way back at the first preview where the characters wouldn't stop cracking wise the entire time. At least they're offering refunds, but damn what a fuckup.

sendit

"“We do mock reviews for every game that we launch and this is double digits lower than where we thought we would be with this game,” Spencer told Kinda Funny. “That’s one of the disappointing things, we would never strive to launch a game that we thought was going to review in the low 60s.” Redfall has since fallen even lower, currently sitting on a Metacritic score of 59." - Phil Spencer

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This game has never ever looked good to me, way back at the first preview where the characters wouldn't stop cracking wise the entire time.
It was a poor man's Borderlands. But the game oozed atmosphere. I enjoyed the 7 hours I put into it. The deep discount when it went on sale also helped. $20 was reasonable. $70 was not.

Pejo

Gold Member
It was a poor man's Borderlands. But the game oozed atmosphere. I enjoyed the 7 hours I put into it. The deep discount when it went on sale also helped. $20 was reasonable. $70 was not.
That's totally fair, but to me the atmosphere they displayed was constantly at odds with the "never gonna take a bit of this seriously" jokester vibes of the playable characters in this situation. Leaving the visual style and atmosphere alone but then having the player characters treat it genuinely instead would have been a huge improvement, at least tonally. It also would have tempted me to give it a try, regardless of review scores. I don't have Gamepass so for me the barrier of entry was a bit higher than those that already subscribed.

Update from IGN:
  • Arkane Austin was planning a big update to release later this month, the layoffs came as a shock to everyone
  • The May update would have included the ability to play the game offline
  • The two new heroes that were promised in the Hero Pass were planned to be launched on Halloween this year
https://www.ign.com/articles/arkane-austin-redfall-update-closure-xbox
It was all about to change! We were going to fix it all next week! We just needed one more week!

StereoVsn

I don't like to see people lose their jobs. But the message is clear here studios. Stop chasing games as a service. Stop trying to milk your audience like cattle. Stop having bloated team sizes. Start making good games.
Tango crew was fairly small. They produced several interesting and fairly good games. They got cut.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That's totally fair, but to me the atmosphere they displayed was constantly at odds with the "never gonna take a bit of this seriously" jokester vibes of the playable characters in this situation. Leaving the visual style and atmosphere alone but then having the player characters treat it genuinely instead would have been a huge improvement, at least tonally. It also would have tempted me to give it a try, regardless of review scores. I don't have Gamepass so for me the barrier of entry was a bit higher than those that already subscribed.
Oh for sure. I thought of maybe revisiting it if the DLC characters dropped since all the characters you play as are just unappealing to me with IMO rather ugly designs but now I see no reason to reinstall. I just wish we had a good Vampire game to play.

MarkMe2525

Are you talking about that game with ugly and nauseating character designs called Edge something? That game last so little that nobody cared.
I just remembered, I was referring to Battleborn. I was sort of interested in this game and it just tanked so hard that you could pick it up for a tenner 2 months after release.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Top Bottom