• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake of Saint Seiya (Knight of the Zodiac) serie on NETFLIX announced!

Playsage

I wonder how they are going to deal with the italian adaptation...

Would be a good occasion to let a new generation of VA take the job, unlike what happened with the CG movie

Keep the over-the-top aulic dialogues though

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It's worth noting to any Saint Seiya fans, that the prequel and sequel series aired in Japan only a few years ago, like 2011 and 2012. You can find both on Crunchyroll.

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - 26 Episodes, Quality all the way through.

Saint Seiya Omega - 97 Episodes, Definitely made for TV, kinda of basic and predictable, but fun.

Lost Canvas is meh, it has high moments, but at my age I cannot put up with the filler.

Omega is trash.

It's worth noting to any Saint Seiya fans, that the prequel and sequel series aired in Japan only a few years ago, like 2011 and 2012. You can find both on Crunchyroll.

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - 26 Episodes, Quality all the way through.

Saint Seiya Omega - 97 Episodes, Definitely made for TV, kinda of basic and predictable, but fun.

There's also Soul of Gold which is a sidequel taking place in Asgard during the Hades saga.

That film was really bad, tho. Like extremely so.

It was masterfully animated, it was the last time Saint Seiya got that quality of animation, story was weak and weird but the movie production was plagued with problems mostly TOEI and Kurumada fighting on creative differences, it was supposed to be a trilogy and how Kurumada truly envisioned the Zeus Arc but the other 2 movies never came to be.

Seiya gets no respect, it's always Goku. Put some Respect in Seiya's name.

Shaka got you covered

lols_goku_vs_shakat9sjl.png

Fbh

Lost Canvas is meh, it has high moments, but at my age I cannot put up with the filler.

Omega is trash.

Los Canvas is awesome. Good designs, pretty good animation and some of my favorite battles in any saint seiya related project. They feel like actual fights instead of people taking damage from background art.

Los Canvas is awesome. Good designs, pretty good animation and some of my favorite battles in any saint seiya related project. They feel like actual fights instead of people taking damage from background art.

*dramatically falls backwards as lights whoosh by*

Kuhn

In Brazil as far as I know it was shown in the Xuxa show, and they had later episodes more quickly.

Lol

We got it in the Xuxa show, but my memory is fuzzy and I'm not entirely sure if it was in the Argentinian version of her show. .

In Brazil the only way to watch SS in a free-to-air channel was in Manchete in the 90's and in Band in mid 00's. Neither of those channel got any show with Xuxa.

In Argentina, SS was released in 95 on ATC, then it was rereleased in 96 on Magic Kids. Neither had a Xuxa's show.

What blasphemy is this ?

In Brazil saint Seiya was on TV Manchete and was soon followed by Sailor moon, Shurato and Samurai Warriors and Tokusatsus like Kamen Rider Black, Jaspion, Jiraya, Patrine, Jiban, Changeman and Flashman

Actually many of those shows predated SS in Brazil:
Jaspion aired from 88 to 94
Changeman - 88 to 94
Jiraiya from 89 to 99
Jiban from 90 to mid 90's
Cybercorps, same than Jiban.
Spielvan was released in 91
Winspecto aired from 94 to 97
Maskman released in 91
Flashman, between 89 and 92
Kamen Rider Black and RX between 91 and 94

And we never got Jetman or Zyuuranger thanks to SABAN.

Both Shurato and Samurai Warriors (Ronin Warriors for some) were released in the same channel jumping in the SS bandwagon with mild success and awesome toys from the latter.

After that we got Sailor Moon and Yuyu Hakusho.

Cool fact about YYH but Argentina first contact with this Anime was thanks to Multicanal, a Cable provider who aired Manchete there to compete with Cablevision that aired Rede Globo.

Spanish speaking latinamerican countries got it first contact with a Spanish dub when Cartoon Network rereleased the anime in early 00's.
Funfact: Brazil got a redub because the first dub had foul language.

It was thanks to CN anime craze that after releasing SS in US, they decided to buy the rights and rerelease SS with dubbed original OP and ED.

EDIT: Forgot to add something, DBZ craze got pretty late in Brazil. By the time they got into Namek Arc many HispanoAmerican Countries were airing DBGT. In the rest of the LatinAmerican Countries DB craze existed since the first episode of DB,
I feel for the US/CAN fans that got to see DBGT's last episode arround late 00's and with censorship :(

Platy

Actually many of those shows predated SS in Brazil:
Jaspion aired from 88 to 94
Changeman - 88 to 94
Jiraiya from 89 to 99
Jiban from 90 to mid 90's
Cybercorps, same than Jiban.
Spielvan was released in 91
Winspecto aired from 94 to 97
Maskman released in 91
Flashman, between 89 and 92
Kamen Rider Black and RX between 91 and 94

I will never forgive myself for forgetting about Winspector, Cybercops and Yu Yu Hakusho

It was a weird writing on my part but yeah, those are older

edit: Cybercops was only less than a year ?
My group of friends have so many jokes about that show that in my memory it ran for years

Mael

the story is pretty simple, and it still follow codes of shonen, A LOT, but there's lot of great, or sad moments in the serie, and the fact that is was filled with wonderfull music helped a lot too, like these :

Under the wood of the world tree

Mime's requiem

I'm 10 again.
Such a shame that Asgard is technically filler despite being the best part of the show!
I'll watch and evangelize about this everywhere I go, it's out of my control now.

And people didn't like the Saint Seiya CG movie?
It was GLORIOUS!
OTT and Overdesigned like it wasn't possible to do more than they did!

Kuhn

I will never forgive myself for forgetting about Winspector, Cybercops and Yu Yu Hakusho

It was a weird writing on my part but yeah, those are older

edit: Cybercops was only less than a year ?
My group of friends have so many jokes about that show that in my memory it ran for years

First of all Winspector got a special place in my heart, that's why I can never forget it :p

About what I wrote I meant mid 90's as Nineties or mid of that decade.

I wonder if this series will ever have a proper finale.. I mean shit I'm 29 and I remember seeing this as a kid.

The closest we got to a series finale was the heaven arc.

mantidor

In Brazil the only way to watch SS in a free-to-air channel was in Manchete in the 90's and in Band in mid 00's. Neither of those channel got any show with Xuxa.

In Argentina, SS was released in 95 on ATC, then it was rereleased in 96 on Magic Kids. Neither had a Xuxa's show.

This is fascinating either I'm mixing up things since I was so young or somehow we got a weird international version, or maybe what I'm remembering is local channels who decided to cut down Xuxa and intercalate with animated shows. I definitely remember having Band, but not Manchete.

Platy

Useless trivia : Xuxa's first tv show WAS on Manchete. It was almost 10 years before Saint Seiya, but still...

First of all Winspector got a special place in my heart, that's why I can never forget it :p

About what I wrote I meant mid 90's as Nineties or mid of that decade.

oooh makes more sense.

Yeah winspector is also special to me because an uncle bough me some winspector toys when he went to japan. And that was BEFORE it aired here !

Nothing but respect for Shaka but man I think Saga wipes the floor with him.. now Dohko on the other hand whew idk who would win. Camus is my second fav.

Saga wiping the floor with Shaka? nah Shaka already did pretty well against Saga and co. at the same time. I do believe however That Saga is up there with Shaka, Dohko and Aiolos as the 4 strongest Gold Saints.

Of course if you ask Kurumada he laughs and say that all Gold Saints are equally powerful, and I'd like to think that's true, that's what TOEI tried to show with Soul of Gold, that they are all equally strong and unbeatable when working together, getting them all to work together is always the difficult part.

Hades arc made me appreciate Mu

Mu is a fantastic Gold Saint, one of the strongest Gold Saints, he just doesn't like to show off.

My condolences.

Thanks man ;_;

Top Bottom