• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake of Saint Seiya (Knight of the Zodiac) serie on NETFLIX announced!

¡LOS GUARDIANES DEL UUUNIVERSO!

So pumped for this. I used to sit and watch the Spanish dub every day with my cousins when I was in El Salvador one summer. I had no idea it had such a big following.

All my life I thought the singer said "LA CANCIÓN DE LOS ERRORES" when it turns out he was trying, and failing, to pronounce "LA CANCIÓN DE LOS HÉROES".

I like that song only because it was part of my childhood but it sucks we were denied Pegasus Fantasy in favor of this bastardized unofficial french-spaniard version :(

All my life I thought the singer said "LA CANCIÓN DE LOS ERRORES" when it turns out he was trying, and failing, to pronounce "LA CANCIÓN DE LOS HÉROES".

I like that song only because it was part of my childhood but it sucks we were denied Pegasus Fantasy in favor of this bastardized unofficial french-spaniard version :(

I thought it was la canción de Los mejores
tenor.gif

jett

D-Member
No idea but it was epic lol

Watching the Mexican broadcast channels in the Caribbean you had Pegasus fantasy
https://youtu.be/LDgWqoAhUkw

Otherwise it was the Spaniard theme.

That Spaniard intro is so random, half of it is footage from movies, the other half focuses on Ikki. It ended up being endearing, gotta admit. :p

In future broadcasts it was replaced with the real thing at least.

Slaythe

No he wasn't, he diffidently thought that of himself thou, Shaka kicked his ass along with Camus and Shura in equal footing the 3 ended up looking like a broken pile of scraps.
I have no doubts that Dohko and Aiolos would have also swiftly dealt with him.

Saga wasn't even trying against Shaka though. (He used his weakest attack on the one guy that can come back from other dimensions, something he knew perfectly well thanks to the Sanctuary arc)

They didn't want to kill him, they wanted him to flee. Shaka wanted to die to go to hell though and he forced their hands.

So he stripped them of their senses and forced them to use Athena Exclamation because they waited too long.

There is no way he was stronger than Camus and Saga at 100%. Shura is kinda shit but even then he only has one technique so I'm sure be can use different intensities for his Excalibur.

This is what I thought too lol who knew. Now I'll be Singing Caballeros Del Zodiaco all day.

Holy shit they used the french version ?! This is hilarious.

Loved this show a lot more than DBZ as a kid. Would love to see the remak done right. I should find a way to rewatch the originals.

Thread got me hype again, think I'll watch the Saga vs Seiya later on tonight. Top 10 anime battles of all time so much brutality.

Certainly not. :p

What is bad in DBZ is the power jumps, but you know where people stand.

Saint Seiya you have virtually no idea where they stand.

Beg Athena for power... Kappa.

Unai

Thread got me hype again, think I'll watch the Saga vs Seiya later on tonight. Top 10 anime battles of all time so much brutality.

Beg Athena for power... Kappa.

I still thing that Seiya vs Shiryu right in the beginning is one of the best battles in the whole series.

I still thing that Seiya vs Shiryu right in the beginning is one of the best battles in the whole series.

Most def, it was a technical fight with beautiful choreography. A lot of thought was put into that fight exploiting weaknesses and whatnot.

Mael

Certainly not. :p

What is bad in DBZ is the power jumps, but you know where people stand.

Saint Seiya you have virtually no idea where they stand.

Depends on if you watched the anime or read the manga.
The manga is pretty clear on power levels and where everyone stand.
Shaka was always OP compared to Bronze saints and that didn't change till they learned the 7th sense.

Saga wasn't even trying against Shaka though. (He used his weakest attack on the one guy that can come back from other dimensions, something he knew perfectly well thanks to the Sanctuary arc)

They didn't want to kill him, they wanted him to flee. Shaka wanted to die to go to hell though and he forced their hands.

So he stripped them of their senses and forced them to use Athena Exclamation because they waited too long.

There is no way he was stronger than Camus and Saga at 100%. Shura is kinda shit but even then he only has one technique so I'm sure be can use different intensities for his Excalibur.
I've seen that excuse from Saga fans before, and it's painful, the "they wanted him to flee" is delusional at best knowing the resolution of Gold Saints and that they rather die defending their posts. No matter how you try to color it, once you are under the effects of the Tembu Horin there is no scape as proven by how Shaka shattered them little by little, once you are under it you are done they knew it and that's why they used the forbidden technique.
Shaka was a different type of warrior guided by Buddhist codes, he doesn't aim to kill you instantly or to do fancy destruction to the environment, like any Buddhist he aims to show you the way of your errors and teach you, that's why his techniques don't care what armor you are wearing he goes straight to the soul.
It is said in Saint Seiya that that with highest Cosmo will win the battle and not even armor can prevent that, official Taizen Saint seiya encyclopedia states that Shaka has the largest pool of Cosmo so there is that.

Depends on if you watched the anime or read the manga.
The manga is pretty clear on power levels and where everyone stand.
Shaka was always OP compared to Bronze saints and that didn't change till they learned the 7th sense.

In fairness the franchise overall is a bit weird with the seemingly tiered nature of the Saints - Bronze, Silver, Gold and all - versus Cosmo as this will driven force that can be ramped up to overcome the odds. In any other series this would probably mean the Saints being rewarded with higher Cloths as their mastery of Cosmo increased, or otherwise their Cloths 'evolving' with their mastery, but no matter how good the main cast gets and whatever foes they best, they're not readily promoted, and often reset to their nominal place in the hierarchy. Sure, their cloths do get upgraded, but it's external of them and kinda begs the question why the Cloths are even tiered at all if that's possible.

This is admittedly something especially exacerbated by the anime since, being anime and all, it often relies on the assumptions in this status quo.
Edit: Hell, even as someone who likes (the first half of) Omega, this was one of the weirder aspects of the series. Sure, they allowed Seiya and Shiryu to upgrade, but apparently the rest of the veterans weren't allowed to nab any of the Gold Cloths that were given off to what were basically amateurs.

In fairness the franchise overall is a bit weird with the seemingly tiered nature of the Saints - Bronze, Silver, Gold and all - versus Cosmo as this will driven force that can be ramped up to overcome the odds. In any other series this would probably mean the Saints being rewarded with higher Cloths as their mastery of Cosmo increased, or otherwise their Cloths 'evolving' with their mastery, but no matter how good the main cast gets and whatever foes they best, they're not readily promoted, and often reset to their nominal place in the hierarchy. Sure, their cloths do get upgraded, but it's external of them and kinda begs the question why the Cloths are even tiered at all if that's possible.

This is admittedly something especially exacerbated by the anime since, being anime and all, it often relies on the assumptions in this status quo.
Edit: Hell, even as someone who likes (the first half of) Omega, this was one of the weirder aspects of the series. Sure, they allowed Seiya and Shiryu to upgrade, but apparently the rest of the veterans weren't allowed to nab any of the Gold Cloths that were given off to what were basically amateurs.

i would like for Seiya and Co. to ditch the bronze cloths and fully rock their respective gold ones. I mean they have earned the right to do so throughout the countless of battles.

Minor gripe: My beef with Seiya is how he's always treated as an underdog, which is why he's ranked so low in popularity polls.. For once he should be feared idk call him the god slayer or whatever. Omega at the very least treated the man proper, a legend known by everyone.

Unai

I have never imagined that I would see a discussion about who is stronger between Saga vs Shaka on NeoGAF. This is straight up like being back to Orkut. The nostalgia here is intensifying! Keep at it, gaf!

Mael

Well the fine thing is that usually the cloth grows with the character so it makes sense in a way.
The heroes even finish with God Cloths and they never really reset them in the manga(or anime for that matter).
The gold saints are pushovers and never do anything, they're supposed to be awesome but Kurumada always find ways to make sure they're not really used....til Hades really where they're thrown in a bus to open a way to the final dungeon.

Unai

Well the fine thing is that usually the cloth grows with the character so it makes sense in a way.
The heroes even finish with God Cloths and they never really reset them in the manga(or anime for that matter).
The gold saints are pushovers and never do anything, they're supposed to be awesome but Kurumada always find ways to make sure they're not really used....til Hades really where they're thrown in a bus to open a way to the final dungeon.

They do reset if you consider Next Dimension, which is being written by Kurumada himself.

Slayven

My first and only exposure to Saint Seiya was Cartoon Network and I couldn't get over them calling what was clearly armor "cloths"

Which again begs the question of why even tier them like that.

Of course, the likely issue is that Cloths of the Bronze Saints became too well associated with them, and the same for the Gold Saints, for Kurumada and co to readily consider shuffling anyone around. Suppose 'Perseus Ryu Sei Ken' wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

Slayven

The cloths in the grand scheme of things are somewhat useless.

I went wiki walking once on this show and learned there are tiers of clothes and like 20210201 characters with their own armor and specialties. I respect that, DBZ beam spamming gets old quick.

Slaythe

I've seen that excuse from Saga fans before, and it's painful, the "they wanted him to flee" is delusional at best knowing the resolution of Gold Saints and that they rather die defending their posts. No matter how you try to color it, once you are under the effects of the Tembu Horin there is no scape as proven by how Shaka shattered them little by little, once you are under it you are done they knew it and that's why they used the forbidden technique.
Shaka was a different type of warrior guided by Buddhist codes, he doesn't aim to kill you instantly or to do fancy destruction to the environment, like any Buddhist he aims to show you the way of your errors and teach you, that's why his techniques don't care what armor you are wearing he goes straight to the soul.
It is said in Saint Seiya that that with highest Cosmo will win the battle and not even armor can prevent that, official Taizen Saint seiya encyclopedia states that Shaka has the largest pool of Cosmo so there is that.

That's ignoring that Saga shattered Shaka's illusion entirely with his attack, and ignoring that two of the strongest Gold Saints used their WEAKEST attack on Shaka instead of using their deadliest attacks.

They also wanted him to read their hearts and flee, that's why they cry. They didn't want this. It's obvious. Shaka saw through them but he wanted to go in Hell. He knew he was gonna die because that's what he wanted. And it's also why they went with their weakest attack first, hoping he'd take the clue, but then it was too late.

Like this is not an excuse, they literally used their weakest attacks and cried over having to kill him.

Mael

They do reset if you consider Next Dimension, which is being written by Kurumada himself.

Fuck Next dimension.
Lost Canvas is everything Kurumada wished he could write.

My first and only exposure to Saint Seiya was Cartoon Network and I couldn't get over them calling what was clearly armor "cloths"
To be fair that's actual Japanese name.
They're called cloth.
Which again begs the question of why even tier them like that.

Of course, the likely issue is that Cloths of the Bronze Saints became too well associated with them, and the same for the Gold Saints, for Kurumada and co to readily consider shuffling anyone around. Suppose 'Perseus Ryu Sei Ken' wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

There's that too, but I think that the Saints aren't supposed to go beyond the level they get their armor in the end.
And they need blood to evolved so they probably wouldn't go very far without the blood sacrifice of increasingly powerful individuals.

I went wiki walking once on this show and learned there are tiers of clothes and like 20210201 characters with their own armor and specialties. I respect that, DBZ beam spamming gets old quick.

The series has a lot of cool ideas on paper that it doesn't properly utilise. The whole structure of the Saints is ripe for storytelling ideas.

NeonZ

There's that too, but I think that the Saints aren't supposed to go beyond the level they get their armor in the end.
And they need blood to evolved so they probably wouldn't go very far without the blood sacrifice of increasingly powerful individuals.

Nah, promotions have been confirmed for a while. Dohko was originally a Bronze Saint.

May as well ask here: is the Viz version of the manga worth getting into? I enjoyed a preview they had in the online WSJ a while back (that, and enjoyed the characters in Jump Ultimate Stars) but I'm wary for two reasons:

a) The localization was back when Viz was prone to using weird, outdated slang in their manga (see: One Piece, Naruto and Reborn), and I'd rather not see that again. Any of that here?

b) I know it's hardly the first time Viz borrowed names from the respective anime dub (and apparently the "Knights of the Zodiac" name came from France first, anyway), but I'm not crazy about the terminology being borrowed from the failed DiC dub. Are they, say, "Ponegliff" levels of bad?

That's ignoring that Saga shattered Shaka's illusion entirely with his attack, and ignoring that two of the strongest Gold Saints used their WEAKEST attack on Shaka instead of using their deadliest attacks.

They also wanted him to read their hearts and flee, that's why they cry. They didn't want this. It's obvious. Shaka saw through them but he wanted to go in Hell. He knew he was gonna die because that's what he wanted. And it's also why they went with their weakest attack first, hoping he'd take the clue, but then it was too late.

Like this is not an excuse, they literally used their weakest attacks and cried over having to kill him.
That's still your interpretation but the fact of the matter is that once under the Tembu Horin is game over, he holds the strongest defence (Ohm) who deflected the attack of those 3 at the same time and he posses the strongest attack in the Tembu Horin once cast is game over as shown.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's what I know about Saint Saiya

- Everyone I've ever met from Europe likes it
- Everyone I've ever met from Brazil goes fucking bananas for it
- No one I've ever met from North America knows what it is
- The video games were JPN/EU exclusive for decades

Why did it never catch on in North America?

Yeah, every cloth is unique in that regard so matchups could get tricky.

Here's what I know about Saint Saiya

- Everyone I've ever met from Europe likes it
- Everyone I've ever met from Brazil goes fucking bananas for it
- No one I've ever met from North America knows what it is
- The video games were JPN/EU exclusive for decades

Why did it never catch on in North America?

I remember it aired once NA it just didn't catch on. Maybe it's the character designs along with the setting.. Not to mention the show is very melodramatic.

Top Bottom