• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy thanks Epic Games for the support on developing Alan Wake

Draugoth

Gold Member
Epic Games funded the development of Alan Wake 2, meaning the game exists largely on the company's support. With the game having been released, Thomas Puha, Remedy's communications director, took to social media to thank all the support Epic gave the studio.

Shoutout to Epic Publishing They let us make the game we wanted. Nothing but supportive. Epic's production team especially KILLED it on Alan Wake 2. They really care. Never have I read so much good feedback from milestones and have producers play so much of the game constantly.

SvRomanov87

Neo Member
Of all the game devs, Remedy deserve to be independent, free to create and not publisher-tied the most. Hell, I'd even install their own launcher/store if all the money goes to them.

Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece, but no thanks to Epic's money. The PC exclusivity deal is an anticonsumer move. I'm not giving them money on PC untill the game available on any other store.

Deerock71

Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece, but no thanks to Epic's money.
Be Smart You Think GIF by Forging Excalibur

(Their money had a LITTLE bit to do with it)

GHG

This I'm supportive of (actually assisting in the development process after an investment), not mindlessly taking popular games off steam.

More things like this along with actually improving their launcher and Epic will be on the right path to actually competing with Steam. However if all they want to do is what they've done previously then, good luck.

Red5

Only thing EGS has done right. If Epic Games were investing in making new games like this and not just moneybagging exclusives then maybe their reputation in the PC community wouldn't be so shitty and people would actually buy stuff there.

It's called having integrity and not downloading that bs.

By the way, im playing alan wake 2 without download epic, im sure you can figure out how
Yes imagine having "integrity" by skipping a good game because it's not on your preferred digital platform. The mental gymnastics are just hilarious.

It's a fucking video game. Nobody gives a shit and nothing changes regardless of what platform you play it on.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's called having integrity and not downloading that bs.

By the way, im playing alan wake 2 without download epic, im sure you can figure out how

It's called absolute retardation. Competition is good. And I'm thankful to Epic that they invested in such a project. Seems like it was a dream for Sam Lake and it wouldn't happen without Epic's money.

Enjoy the lesser version, man.

amigastar

It's called absolute retardation. Competition is good. And I'm thankful to Epic that they invested in such a project. Seems like it was a dream for Sam Lake and it wouldn't happen without Epic's money.

Lesser version? I think he meant he downloaded the game on PC.

If you're skipping this game on PC because it's not on Steam, I'm sorry to report but you're absolutely retarded.

I'm skipping this on PC because my 1080GTX literally crawls in single digit frames at lowest presets. 😭😭😭

Getting a rig early/mid next year.

To top it all off, as an icing on the cake, the deluxe edition with all gun/character skins and along with the 2 single player campaign DLC expansion pass, is available for USD $38.4 at different official key resellers online, in my region.

But, people have their reasons to not support EGS, or just sticking to Steam as their platform of choice.

I think, in this case, the exclusivity is valid though, because Epic fully funded this game from their own pocket.

Last edited:

Red5

EGS isn't offering any competition, as consumers we've gained nothing from EGS moneyhatting exclusives from the years since it was conceived. Games on EGS are priced the same as on Steam where I am, all that trickledown economics bullshit Tim tried to peddle saying the 12% cut would mean the savings will pass on to us was again bullshit. It didn't breed any innovation, on the contrary because EGS was relying on buying out exclusives instead of innovating to compete, their store didn't even have a shopping cart for a full year or two, they thought they could compete with a sub par store just because they had the money to throw around and lock out games from Steam.

Financing Alan Wake 2 development is probably the only "competitive" thing EGS has done in its struggle to carve out a piece for itself in the PC market and it only took them like 5 years.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I'm skipping this on PC because my 1080GTX literally crawls in single digit frames at lowest presets. 😭😭😭

Getting a rig early/mid next year.

To top it all off, as an icing on the cake, the deluxe edition with all gun/character skins and along with the 2 single player campaign DLC expansion pass, is available for USD $38.4 at different official key resellers online, in my region.

But, people have their reasons to not support EGS, or just sticking to Steam as their platform of choice.

I think, in this case, the exclusivity is valid though, because Epic fully funded this game from their own pocket.

Do you have good wired internet ? Do GeForce now ultimate if you have a 4k monitor . You’ll play the game on max all settings and be blown away.

If you somehow still play on 1080p then you don’t need ultimate and can still enjoy the game on all max settings.

Best $20 I’ve spent all year .

GHG

EGS isn't offering any competition, as consumers we've gained nothing from EGS moneyhatting exclusives from the years since it was conceived. Games on EGS are priced the same as on Steam where I am, all that trickledown economics bullshit Tim tried to peddle saying the 12% cut would mean the savings will pass on to us was again bullshit. It didn't breed any innovation, on the contrary because EGS was relying on buying out exclusives instead of innovating to compete, their store didn't even have a shopping cart for a full year or two, they thought they could compete with a sub par store just because they had the money to throw around and lock out games from Steam.

Financing Alan Wake 2 development is probably the only "competitive" thing EGS has done in its struggle to carve out a piece for itself in the PC market and it only took them like 5 years.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Exactly. This is exactly what they should have been doing from the start.

It's the first thing they've done related to this store that's actually been beneficial to consumers and the industry as a whole.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Thank you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Enjoy yor software RT and subpar FSR2 image quality.
Not only we have this toxic PC Master Rate BS (this is a shiny example), but we also have the store wars too… how about people where Steam Deck and Consoles it is all they game on (no gaming PC’s… I do not call Macs gaming PC’s :D)? Who cares if people buy it on PC or PS5? People buying the game are buying the game period… same thing for Alan Wake: Remastered (not sure why I waited to play it for so so long),

As far as Epic is concerned having a lower developer fee (more money to devs) was a good move and financing titles that may not have happened otherwise is also a good move… period.

Larxia

If you're skipping this game on PC because it's not on Steam, I'm sorry to report but you're absolutely retarded.
No, there are plenty of reasons for not wanting to support this epic game store. Maybe you don't care about them, but they are legitimate and you shouldn't insult people just because they have some principles.

The most basic reason why many people like us don't like the EGS is that the store just really sucks. It doesn't have as many features as steam, and it's once again another useless launcher to go through, meaning you don't have your usual account with your achievements, friends, other games etc.
Many people are still okay to go through that if the games are really good, like playing on EA, Blizzard launchers or whatever, I did this myself several times, even if it bothered me. The problem is that Epic doesn't do exclusives just with their own IP, they buy exclusives to stop them from being on other platforms and actually block competition, that's completely different.

There are also a lot of other reasons to be against the epic game store, which are more of principle / moral reasons.

Epic has been using awful methods to get more attention. They don't even want to have as many features as steam, because they based their userbase on mostly younger players who discovered pc gaming with fortnite and such, and don't really know better(which isn't their fault).
They said they didn't care about allowing forums, user reviews and others because for them "influencers" like youtuber and streamer is the new norm and people only care about that to decide if they want a game or not, so review / discussion are useless to Epic.
All of that exclusivity money also comes from Tencent which is really not the best thing...

They know their plateform is bad, so they just use the china money to buy exclusivity on games and force people to play on their launcher if they want to play a game.
It's also funny how Epic constantly moans about Steam 'monopoly' but are slowly buying exclusivity and developers to create a monopoly of their own.

What epic does is not healthy competition against steam, or others (like GOG). Real competition should give you a choice. You want to offer a new store alternative? Then make it good and give people a reason to go there, by making a quality service, not by making exlusivity deals to force people to go there because they don't have a choice. This is just bad for PC market.

For consumers, it just means being forced to play in less comfortable situations and having less options.

I really don't understand how people can defend the Epic Game Store, as it's clearly a bad thing for the future of the platform. I don't even hate Epic as a whole, I just really hate their store and their policies related to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom