• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy thanks Epic Games for the support on developing Alan Wake

Larxia

I love how you tell someone to not insult people, but then you basically do the exact same by implying they have no "principles" lmfao.
What? How did I insult anybody here? I said that the people he was insulting might have specific principles, even if he doesn't agree with them. People can have different principles, and even how you can try to twist it, I really don't see how this can be interpreted as an insult.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What? How did I insult anybody here? I said that the people he was insulting might have specific principles, even if he doesn't agree with them. People can have different principles, and even how you can try to twist it, I really don't see how this can be interpreted as an insult.
I think you meant 'preferences', principles implies something different, like standards.

RIPN2022

If you're skipping this game on PC because it's not on Steam, I'm sorry to report but you're absolutely retarded.
Unpopular opinion but I prefer EGS for the fact that it gives you free games every week. And these games are actually good.
And you can pay with mobile credit instead of credit card which is a huge bonus.

Bridges

That's certainly high praise but it also comes across as a ding to Microsoft
I'm playing through AW2 right now and I can't help but have the thought that Microsoft is taking a massive L with this game's existence.

This was THEIR IP. They had an incredible franchise on their hands and did jackshit with it. Finally 13 years later someone comes along and helps Remedy make a (so far) incredible sequel that seems to stand toe-to-toe with the rest of the heavy hitters this year. Meanwhile PlayStation gets the marketing rights. Xbox playing second fiddle once again, now to a franchise that they should've fostered into the blockbuster it's being recognized as now.

Thank God Remedy got the rights back to make this. I love my Series X but this kind of shit is exactly why Xbox has identity issues, they've been historically awful at making the right calls on what does and doesn't have potential.

Huge Remedy fan and I bought Alan Wake 2 day one, but I just can't get excited about where 40% of the funding comes from. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to an acquisiton.

EDIT: Hell more than that I guess. Tencent has 5% of Remedy too! Yuck.

Last edited:

RIPN2022

I'm playing through AW2 right now and I can't help but have the thought that Microsoft is taking a massive L with this game's existence.

This was THEIR IP. They had an incredible franchise on their hands and did jackshit with it. Finally 13 years later someone comes along and helps Remedy make a (so far) incredible sequel that seems to stand toe-to-toe with the rest of the heavy hitters this year. Meanwhile PlayStation gets the marketing rights. Xbox playing second fiddle once again, now to a franchise that they should've fostered into the blockbuster it's being recognized as now.

Thank God Remedy got the rights back to make this. I love my Series X but this kind of shit is exactly why Xbox has identity issues, they've been historically awful at making the right calls on what does and doesn't have potential.
Microsoft has squandered the momentum they had during the 360 era. Alan Wake was such a unique title to have as an exclusive and they threw it away.

They had Remedy as a first party developer for the Xbox One era and they squandered that too.

Its like if Sony threw away Naughty Dog and Insomniac. Completely insane.

ScHlAuChi

EGS isn't offering any competition, as consumers we've gained nothing from EGS moneyhatting exclusives from the years since it was conceived. Games on EGS are priced the same as on Steam where I am, all that trickledown economics bullshit Tim tried to peddle saying the 12% cut would mean the savings will pass on to us was again bullshit. It didn't breed any innovation, on the contrary because EGS was relying on buying out exclusives instead of innovating to compete, their store didn't even have a shopping cart for a full year or two, they thought they could compete with a sub par store just because they had the money to throw around and lock out games from Steam.
They are priced the same on Epic due to Steam using a Most Favored Nation clause in their contract to prevent devs from selling the games cheaper on other platforms.
There is currently an anti trust trial going on against Valve for this practice.
Financing Alan Wake 2 development is probably the only "competitive" thing EGS has done in its struggle to carve out a piece for itself in the PC market and it only took them like 5 years.
They have done more for devs since the launch of EGS than Valve ever did since the launch of Steam. Yeah yeah I know, who cares about devs!

If you're skipping this game on PC because it's not on Steam, I'm sorry to report but you're absolutely retarded.
Well then, call me "Corky". I refuse to buy any game if it has ever been Epic exclusive, even after it hits Steam. There are more games in my home, let alone in existence, than I can play before I die. I can "skip" supporting a platform that actively harms the industry.

corky1.jpg

ScHlAuChi

The most basic reason why many people like us don't like the EGS is that the store just really sucks. It doesn't have as many features as steam, and it's once again another useless launcher to go through, meaning you don't have your usual account with your achievements, friends, other games etc.
So you arent playing the games, you are playing the launcher?

Many people are still okay to go through that if the games are really good, like playing on EA, Blizzard launchers or whatever, I did this myself several times, even if it bothered me. The problem is that Epic doesn't do exclusives just with their own IP, they buy exclusives to stop them from being on other platforms and actually block competition, that's completely different.
They have no other choice due to Valve using illegal tactics in their contracts. See the Antitrust case Wolffire Games vs Valve.

They know their plateform is bad, so they just use the china money to buy exclusivity on games and force people to play on their launcher if they want to play a game.
It's also funny how Epic constantly moans about Steam 'monopoly' but are slowly buying exclusivity and developers to create a monopoly of their own.
EGS is a PC storefront. Steam is a PC storefront. They both sell games that run on the PC platform!
How can Epic create a monopoly when their games are available ON THE SAME DAMN PLATFORM as Steam!
Whats next, you tell us Mc Donalds has a monopoly on Big Mac???

What epic does is not healthy competition against steam, or others (like GOG). Real competition should give you a choice.
Oh, but Steam is healthy competition? Taking 30% from each dev and not doing shit for that?
You must be joking when you talk about choice. The choice is to not release on Steam or sell very little - that is no choice!

You want to offer a new store alternative? Then make it good and give people a reason to go there, by making a quality service, not by making exlusivity deals to force people to go there because they don't have a choice. This is just bad for PC market.
In a market where a single company dominates over 70% of the market, normal market forces and normal competition doesnt work - thats economics 101.

For consumers, it just means being forced to play in less comfortable situations and having less options.
I really don't understand how people can defend the Epic Game Store, as it's clearly a bad thing for the future of the platform. I don't even hate Epic as a whole, I just really hate their store and their policies related to it.
As a developer its very easy to defend them, as unlike Valve they actually do something for their money!

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
"yo yo yo, we gonna pay you BIG BUCKS to keep your game only on our dead store and to starve you from gaining a ton of long-time revenue since steam has all the pc gaming players, just so we look good, kay? yeah yeah 30% is bad, Steam bad, except Sony they good even tho they also take 30% cut"

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

ScHlAuChi

"yo yo yo, we gonna pay you BIG BUCKS to keep your game only on our dead store and to starve you from gaining a ton of long-time revenue since steam has all the pc gaming players
I get it - Steam monopoly = Good
Competition = Bad
How dare me not singing praises for Lord Gaben!

just so we look good, kay? yeah yeah 30% is bad, Steam bad, except Sony they good even tho they also take 30% cut"
It might surprise you, but Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft actually offer something for their 30%, like basic QA, actual developer support and making sure your game meets certain standards.
Valve on the other hand offers absolutely NOTHING for their 30%! You can be happy if their "support" answers within days instead of weeks!

Kaleinc

Banned
Caring to such extent whether someone skips a game or not, that pretty much is retarded.

So you arent playing the games, you are playing the launcher?

They have no other choice due to Valve using illegal tactics in their contracts. See the Antitrust case Wolffire Games vs Valve.

EGS is a PC storefront. Steam is a PC storefront. They both sell games that run on the PC platform!
How can Epic create a monopoly when their games are available ON THE SAME DAMN PLATFORM as Steam!
Whats next, you tell us Mc Donalds has a monopoly on Big Mac???

Oh, but Steam is healthy competition? Taking 30% from each dev and not doing shit for that?

In a market where a single company dominates over 70% of the market, normal market forces and normal competition doesnt work - thats economics 101.

As a developer its very easy to defend them, as unlike Valve they actually do something for their money!
Another wall of shit.
Let's just say there's a dev everyone knows - the one that made a fix for Dark Souls and now has a studio which works on ports and releases on steam regularly. This dev posted articles about steam features, from users' and devs' perspective, multiple interviews etc. Plenty of features no other store has.
It so happens devs who bitch about 30% cut are the ones shitting out trash games and trash ports because they are incompetent garbage makers.

Look it up, up your game from shit makers to respectable dev.

Btw all those buthurt devs don't mind a 30% cut literally on any other storefront, no features whatsoever.
And finally storefronts aren't not your mom to fund failed unsuccessful products. Go take a loan, make a game and either bomb or become a billionaire.
If you like chinese communist shtick of sugar daddy money go to China

It might surprise you, but Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft actually offer something for their 30%, like basic QA, actual developer support and making sure your game meets certain standards.
Valve on the other hand offers absolutely NOTHING for their 30%! You can be happy if their "support" answers within days instead of weeks!

They take money for every patch, and their qa is worthless jerk off that greenlights broken unplayable mess. Like Cyberpunk.
You officially proved yourself to be clueless and full of shit

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I get it - Steam monopoly = Good
Competition = Bad
How dare me not singing praises for Lord Gaben!

Nothing you said there was true, like at all.

ScHlAuChi

Caring to such extent whether someone skips a game or not, that pretty much is retarded.
So skipping a game because its on the "wrong" store isnt retarded?
Its like someone who wants to buy a Big Mac but refuses to buy it unless Burger King starts to sell them!
Does that sound completely normal to you? ;)

Another wall of shit.
Let's just say there's a dev everyone knows - the one that made a fix for Dark Souls and now has a studio which works on ports and releases on steam regularly. This dev posted articles about steam features, from users' and devs' perspective, multiple interviews etc. Plenty of features no other store has.
It so happens devs who bitch about 30% cut are the ones shitting out trash games and trash ports because they are incompetent garbage makers.
He can have that opinion, and I can have mine - that doesnt override the fact that 94% of GDC voters say Steam doesnt deserve it.
But thank god you are here to defend the corporation from evil people like me ;)

Look it up, up your game from shit makers to respectable dev.
Yep I expected exactly that reaction - all those devs must be losers who do trash games cause they dare to critizise Steam.
Its completely impossible that they might have a point! Cause after all Kalenic said so! Lord Gaben´s defender!

Btw all those buthurt devs don't mind a 30% cut literally on any other storefront, no features whatsoever.
And finally storefronts aren't not your mom to fund failed unsuccessful products. Go take a loan, make a game and either bomb or become a billionaire.
And thats where it shows that you never released a game on any of those platforms....
But hey if it makes you sleep better at night knowing Lord Gaben is defending your platform and Tim Sweeney is the devil - im fine with that :)

If you like chinese communist shtick of sugar daddy money go to China
Anyone not liking Steam must be a commie.... right.....
It must be nice to see the world all black and white!

They take money for every patch, and their qa is worthless jerk off that greenlights broken unplayable mess. Like Cyberpunk.
You officially proved yourself to be clueless and full of shit
Your info is heavily outdated - patching games doesnt cost a thing on console since forever!
You might have to pay eventually when you fail CERT multiple times and waste the platform holders resources - but then you deserve it for being incompetent!
So, regardless if you think that their QA is worthless, its MORE than Valve does - which is absolutely nothing! You got a question? You may get an answer... eventually... at some point!
Your Cyberpunk example is dumb as companys that large have the money to hire their own QA, they dont need that of the platform holder - unlike indie devs!

I´m full of shit becasue the facts I state dont fit with the "truth" in your head? I´m sorry!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They clearly didn’t help with bad fps and terrible grain in motion in quality mode in ps5

Leonidas

Not only we have this toxic PC Master Rate BS (this is a shiny example), but we also have the store wars too… how about people where Steam Deck and Consoles it is all they game on (no gaming PC’s… I do not call Macs gaming PC’s :D)? Who cares if people buy it on PC or PS5? People buying the game are buying the game period… same thing for Alan Wake: Remastered (not sure why I waited to play it for so so long),

As far as Epic is concerned having a lower developer fee (more money to devs) was a good move and financing titles that may not have happened otherwise is also a good move… period.
Suck it.

My only point was why would you knowingly buy an inferior version of the game that does not have hardware RT and path tracing and high FPS ability and better upscaling ability?

If you only have a console, sure the console versions are great, but the guy I am responding to I assume has a decent PC...

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What did Microsoft do?
They hold the publishing rights and did nothing with it despite Remedy wanting to do a sequel for years.
Remedy made prototyping for years (you can even see some of it on Youtube) just for it to be caned because "multiplayer was more interesting for Microsoft". Thanks God it was the old management, you know when Kinect, Tv, Sports etc... was the main focus at e3 for Microsoft.

GHG

Thanks for selling the IP back to Remedy Phil 🙏

Probably the only good thing he's done since he's been in charge.

In other news the EGS continues to be a joke. I don't even care about achievements but couldn't help but notice the achievement system in place is buggy as fuck. Achievements are unlocked in the in-game overlay but not in the client page. A restart of the client doesn't fix it either.

I wonder if they will find fixing that less or more difficult than they did the task of implementing a shopping cart.

It's funny that I give them a chance but then immediately get reminded of why I swore off buying anything from their store. Even Ubisoft and EA's clients are in better shape than this.

Last edited:
They hold the publishing rights and did nothing with it despite Remedy wanting to do a sequel for years.
Remedy made prototyping for years (you can even see some of it on Youtube) just for it to be caned because "multiplayer was more interesting for Microsoft". Thanks God it was the old management, you know when Kinect, Tv, Sports etc... was the main focus at e3 for Microsoft.
I loved the first game, but unfortunately it didn't sell particularly well and Microsoft didn't want to roll the dice again on a sequel. I guess you can be angry that it took them too long to sell the IP rights back to Remedy, but none the less they did sell it 4 years ago and now we have this amazing sequel.

If that was true, Quantum Break wouldn't exist. That game has zero multiplayer components.

GHG

Epic's game launcher launches games.
It's got all the features it needs really.

Coming from Steam where everything just works, whether it's peripherals (controllers etc), VR support or all the various overlay features, it's like stepping back to the mid-late 2000's.

Time for Epic to start earning their coin.

Have only played 4 hours so far and while Tears of the Kingdom will probably remain my GOTY (but RE4 Remake is knocking hard on the door) , Alan Wake 2 is probably my biggest surprise hit of the year. What an experience so far!

Top Bottom