• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Wonderboy in Monsterland after like 16 years

SantaC

And holy shit, this game is a lot harder than I remember it to be. You start out very weak, and is often going up against bosses. On top of that you do it on limited time (a timeglass is counting down all the time) and when you die you have to start right over with NO continues. That's right, and you only got one life.

I am only making it to the boss in Baraboro :lol

Though it's frustratingly hard, I still enjoy this game's gameplay.

sms_wonderboy_in_monsterland_main.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I used to have this game (my brother sold it along with a bunch of others). Sega REALLY needs to bring this back.

Fularu

Banned
Tssk the game's easy. The only really hard part is the castle, where you HAVE to know the way if you don't want to die trying to find it!

FnordChan

For years the only video game system I had was a friend's borrowed Sega Master System and all of five games, one of which was Wonderboy in Monsterland. Needless to say, I can whip the living hell out of this game.

WBOY2_04.gif

FnordChan

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Complete Wonderboy compilation with updated graphics on any of the handhelds would...

be a religious gaming experience.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mejilan said:
Complete Wonderboy compilation with updated graphics on any of the handhelds would...

be a religious gaming experience.
You make me sad because it's a good idea which means Sega will never do it. :(

number386

I used to love this game and played it a lot in the arcade. The 63-66 coin trick by jumping and jiggling side to side by the tree was great. I remember the first time I got the legend sword, I was amazed.

my first experience with the series was WonderBoy III: The Dragons Trap which I recieved for Christmas 1989. ahh sweet memories....

robot

The Bookerman said:
Dragon's trap was awesome.... until we found the awesome passcode in a screenshot that was in the instruction manual :lol

haha, i remember that! forgot what the password did tho.
I loved how the beginning of the game took place at the end of Monster Liar - at least thats what I remember.

Forgot the name of the genesis one, but that was my fav. Might've been the first genesis game I beat.

Mejilan

The manual for the original Metal Gear on the NES also contained an almost complete password. I think it was only missing one character. I remember my brother and I plugging in character after character until we got the password working... the missing character was an F, I think.

Mejilan

robot said:
haha, i remember that! forgot what the password did tho.
I loved how the beginning of the game took place at the end of Monster Liar - at least thats what I remember.

Forgot the name of the genesis one, but that was my fav. Might've been the first genesis game I beat.

The Genesis one that was actually released in English was called Wonder Boy in Monster World, IIRC, and starred a blue-haired hero called Shion. A dumbed down version was also released on the SMS and/or GG... I think.

I though Dragon's Curse/Trap never came out on the Genny, only the TG16, GG, and SMS, here in the States anyway.

Dragon's Lair DID come out on the Genny in the States, and the TG-16 AND TG-CD too, IIRC. But that was the crappy shooter game...

CO_Andy

Mejilan said:
Complete Wonderboy compilation with updated graphics on any of the handhelds would... be a religious gaming experience.
There iz a Master System emulator ya know for the GBA.

Mejilan

CO_Andy said:
There iz a Master System emulator ya know for the GBA.

And the PSP. I know. Still, a compilation of all of the games with updated graphics and music, battery save, etc. Would be amazing.

Mejilan

The Sega Ages games aren't so hot, I hear, but those are farmed out, no? Shining Force Remake was pretty damn great, dumbed down difficult aside.

Still, I don't care for Sega remaking them, I'd rather WestOne handle it. Jarrod says they're still around, or recently reformed or something. Making Wonder Boy ports to Japanese mobile phones.

PC Gaijin

Mejilan said:
Dragon's Lair DID come out on the Genny in the States, and the TG-16 AND TG-CD too, IIRC. But that was the crappy shooter game...

Monster Lair. Have you ever played it? I rather enjoyed it (the Turbo CD version, not the Mega Drive one, also there's no HuCard version). Nice mix of shooting and platforming.

The Genesis Wonder Boy in Monster World is Wonder Boy 5. It's not Dragon's Trap/Curse. It also got a Turbo port as Dynastic Hero. Dragon's Curse is still my favorite in the series.

to clear the confusion, there are two main versions of WonderBoy III

1a.) WonderBoy III Monster Lair (1988) - is a forced-scrolling walking shmup 16-bit arcade game on the System16 board.

1b.) Monster Lair - PC-Engine~TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM (1988-89) an 8-bit conversion of the arcade - one of the very first CD-ROM games

1c.) WonderBoy III Monster Lair (1990) - conversion of the arcade for the Megadrive

2a.) Wonder Boy III The Dragons Trap (aka Monster World 2 - (1989) this is the 8-bit Master System action-adventure game that is the direct sequel to Master System's WonderBoy 2 Monster World. often regarded as the best game in the entire series.

2b.) Dragons Curse / Adventure Island for the TurboGrafx16~ PC-Engine HuCard (1990?) - this is a graphically enhanced port of the Master System WonderBoy III The Dragons Trap. although the PC-Engine version is called Adventure Island, it not the same as the original WonderBoy or Adventure Island on the NES which was based on the original WonderBoy

2c.) Monster World 2 / WonderBoy III The Dragons Trap for the GameGear - basicly a port of the Master System game.

did I forget anything regarding the 2 major different games of WonderBoy III ?

edit: Wonder Boy in Monster World is indeed WonderBoy 5, but its really the 4th game in the series and should have been called WonderBoy 4, but since there were two totally different WonderBoy III games, it makes sense. the PC-Engine Super CD-ROM / TurboGrafx 16 System 3.0 / TurboDuo got a port called Dynastic Hero. Ive never played this version

Monster World IV - MegaDrive - the last game in the series - graphically the best by far - and no counterparts on PC-Engine-TurboGrafx or any other system. also not released in the U.S. but english translation exists.

Mejilan

I've got just about every English released Wonder Boy game released, and a few of the Japanese ones too. I rifled through my SMS and Genny carts, but didn't dig deep enough to confirm what exactly I had in my Turbo 16 and Turbo CD collections.

As for Monster Lair (thanks for the clarification), I REALLY didn't like it. Used to play the TGCD version at my cousin's, and I now own that and the Genny versions. Blech.

I have WB in MW for the Genny, and the JP version of Dynastic Hero. Also have MW IV for the Genny (JP).

Top Bottom