• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things in games that you are Masochistic towards.

Stuff there to intentionally frustrate you or piss you off, that would make the average person rage quit the game for a day or two, but you not only enjoy it, you look forward to it happening.

I  love getting one-hit-koed.
By bosses or regular opponents.
Regardless if I have been fighting them for 3 minutes or 30 minutes.

Bayonetta 1's Final Boss opens a Black Hole on the ground, that will instantly kill you if you get sucked into.
And I get really bummed when I don't get sucked into it...

"Just jump into it, bro".
I can't, that takes away the satisfaction.
I need to try to not get sucked into it, then get sucked into it.

Tendo's God's Right Hand, Yakuza/Like a Dragon 7

Season 8 Yes GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Feels so good to be hit by it, literally every time...
And I get upset when it doesn't hit Ichiban.

And if you ever play me in Street Fighter 5, and you are a R.Mika main, you can bet a million dollars that I will let you do the whole speech microphone thingy.

And that I will purposely make slight openings so that you can grab me.

dc comics joker GIF

Anyway... What are you guy's masochistic "things" in games?

The spooky scary monster finally popping out in a spooky scary game after lots of buildup. I hate it; I love it; it's why I play those games.

SHA

Idk,
SF EX3
Gran Turismo
Dark Chronicles
Doom 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Megaman
Crazy Taxi
Mortal Kombat
Tekken
Black
I don't need to get into the details.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I despise forced walking sections in games.... but I walk most of the time in games. Makes my playtime really inflated compared to most others'.

Valonquar

I'm about 70% through the grind for the Pteranodon Mount in FFXIV atm... the gathering part is pure unadulterated levels of boredom damage.

unlurkified

Forcing myself to finish a game even if I’m not enjoying it. Just hate the idea of paying for games I don’t end up playing unless I got for $20 or less.

GymWolf

I hate piss easy games, so i greatly accept an unfair challenge if the alternative is button mashing your way to victory.

The game is gonna oneshot me for the first 20 hours and make exploration and progression feel super rewarding? GOOD.

P.s. i think some people didn't get what the topic is asking.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Forcing myself to finish a game even if I’m not enjoying it. Just hate the idea of paying for games I don’t end up playing unless I got for $20 or less.
This. Has done wonders for my backlog but playing through all of Valkyrie Elysium was torture. I'm very careful about what games I pick up now.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not a masochist, but I do have a touch of OCD that compels me to explore every nook and cranny of the game worlds I love. Currently trying to clear all the fog of war in Dragon's Dogma 2..

Absolutely no offence but I'm so happy I'm not in your shoes.. For me, the value of not playing a game I dislike far outweighs the cost of purchasing it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Repeatedly spending 150-250 hours per character levelling 1-60 in vanilla WoW private servers for the last 10+ years is pretty sadistic.

I have this strange compulsion that I always dive on an Orbital Strike before it detonates in Helldivers....

Dunno why but it's like catnip for me. I just can't resist.

drugs GIF

Drell

Not having any fucking fast travel in an open world. What's the point of having a gigantic map if it's to never really explore it? Let me walk for minutes doing nothing else than looking at the landscape please!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Love starting out some SMT game and getting mudo'd in the first few hours. Really sets the mood.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, autistic.

Big true, little in this world more autistic than WoW private server players. You wouldn't believe some of the shit I've seen and read.

Restarting missions from the beginning I feel the checkpoints are too generous, or if I take a lot of damage. I hate being able to tank my way through fights.

Also quite often I'll reload if it saves me having to use consumables items.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

"Discovering" entire maps. It's satisfying to just uncover a hidden/foggy map. Sometimes it even leads to hidden stuff, like in Baldur's Gate 3

Eimran

I've decided to do some grinding in Dragon Quest 11, because I want to see the story moving forward.
Platinum'd it and gotta say. Compared to DQ VIII, the game is much less grindy.

There's a place with king metal slimes. If you combine it with Erik's critical claim and hallelujah (don't remember exactly, it has been a few years) You'll reach level 100 in a few hours.

killatopak

Survival mechanics.

Sleep, food, drink, oxygen, drugs, radiation, hygiene, vices like smoking and drinking all wrapped up in an rpg like form with benefits and downsides.

Trilobit

"Discovering" entire maps. It's satisfying to just uncover a hidden/foggy map. Sometimes it even leads to hidden stuff, like in Baldur's Gate 3

I absolutely loved taking my time with map of BotW. It was very exciting to wonder about the next area and to finally discover it.

IAmRei

Grinding and exploration... I love grinding, makes my party OP before meeting new enemies, and routed them easily. But in some rpg, like shin megami tensei, you cant because most enemies cant be fought with only brute force. But in most game, if i could, i would do it.

As exploring goes, dragons dogma, zelda botw totk and elden ring sometimes reward more option to tackle enemy easier in the future

Maybe im just workaholic in grinding and exploration ...

IAmRei

I absolutely loved taking my time with map of BotW. It was very exciting to wonder about the next area and to finally discover it.
It makes me feels like i sets into new world and getting to know what this world and why this world like this, just like somekind of archeolog. I like this kind of storytelling. Just like dark souls/elden ring as well. Rich of "untold" storytelling, imo

BouncyFrag

I like getting Henry so drunk in Kingdom Come Deliverance that he blacks out and comes around in an unknown location. The monastery section is a pain in the ass and I love it.

Getting beat down in Elder Scrolls games causing my armor skill to improve is good times.

I do this to. Not all the time but more than I would have liked. I never really liked Bioshock but it gets so much praise. I started and stopped it like three times. Finally got all the way through it and it was ok at best. I would have preferred to replay a game I actually really enjoy or something from my backlog that I know I would like.

Then again I've done this and actually ended up really enjoying the game cause I pushed past the slow opening. Days Gone comes to mind for this.

Aion002

Difficulty spikes: I start playing a challenging game and as I progress I start thinking that the game is easy... Suddenly there's a challenge I simply don't see how to overcome, I start feeling dreadful and I might even delete the game, just to re-install it a few hours later to try it again until I can do it.

Persistence Of Vision GIF by Eternal Family

MaestroMike

Gold Member
in zelda totk spending a fukk ton of time breaking every single crate or pot i see i can't let them be even if i just get like one arrow or apple. look under a lot of rocks too

Save scum to get the playthrough I want. Breaking that habit the next time I load up Bg3 and go for the custom 1 save slot difficulty.

Barakov

Random encounters in rpgs. I want them back. They're annoying but I find them better than enemies physically appearing on the map.

Top Bottom