• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox will start banning unlicensed third party (wireless) controllers in November

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-third-party-wireless.jpg

In the last few days, some Xbox gamers have been taking to social circles the world over to discuss concerns with third-party wireless controllers. Put simply, they’re being banned from using them after a two-week window, which is expected behaviour, according to a support page dredged up from the Xbox Support site.

If you’ve seen Error 0x82d60002 pop up on the screen while using a third-party wireless controller on an Xbox console, this is effectively what it means:

One of the accessories you’re trying to connect was not manufactured by Microsoft or another licensed Xbox hardware partner.

From that moment on, you’ve got a two-week countdown that kicks in, after which point the device or accessory will be blocked from use with the console. Once that has happened, your error code will change to 0x82d60003, and your accessory will effectively become useless.

On Twitter, Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of gaming products and peripherals, shared a message stating that, as of now, several of its leading products will either be partially or completely impacted by this error.

There are claims that this change was introduced in an update made to the Xbox OS on October 16th. Going forward, Xbox gamers should only use first-party or officially licensed products from the likes of:

• Razer
  • Turtle Beach
  • Power-A
  • Thrustmaster
  • Victrix
  • PDP
  • HyperX

Last edited:

Nydius

Way more anti-consumer than most of the stuff Sony has done and caught flack for.
Whatever you say. Please show me where I can buy functional unlicensed third party DualSense controllers.

That's what I thought.

You can barely buy any third party DualSense controllers at all, and the ones that do exist are at a price point closer to the DS Edge. Even with this crackdown on unlicensed hardware there's infinitely more third party options on Xbox (and Switch) than what Sony allows.

At least Microsoft isn't out here price gouging people for a vertical stand.

Last edited:
Whatever you say. Please show me where I can buy functional unlicensed third party DualSense controllers.

That's what I thought.

You can barely buy any third party DualSense controllers at all, and the ones that do exist are at a price point closer to the DS Edge. Even with this crackdown on unlicensed hardware there's infinitely more third party options on Xbox (and Switch) than what Sony allows.

At least Microsoft isn't out here price gouging people for a vertical stand.

It was actually my mistake, read it as those makers wouldn't work, but they do work as long as they're licensed.

I retract my statement.

StereoVsn

The issue is Brooks and others make great adapters that let things form controllers to wheels work on Xbox (and PS) using controllers from the other side.

I use Brooks adapter to get my PS Logitech wheel work on Xbox as an example. Same with a fight stick.

MS won’t ever license Brooks or similar adapters.

So all this will mean is I will not be playing on the Xbox because sure as shit I ain’t spending $500 to get new wheel setup and arcade stick.

C2brixx

Is third party and unlicensed the same thing? Title says third party, but there are obviously 3rd party controller, but they are licensed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is third party and unlicensed the same thing? Title says third party, but there are obviously 3rd party controller, but they are licensed.

No. At least not going by the wording on the error page on the official Xbox support site.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I need to use an unofficial adapter to use my $250 officially licensed Xbox 360 arcade stick. They can either make the console backwards compatible with said arcade stick, or I leave Xbox. With this nuclear option they just told the entire FGC and probably half the racing sim community to fuck off.

Okay. I will.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I need to use an unofficial adapter to use my $250 officially licensed Xbox 360 arcade stick. They can either make the console backwards compatible with said arcade stick, or I leave Xbox. With this nuclear option they just told the entire FGC and probably half the racing sim community to fuck off.

Okay. I will.

Aren't you jumping to conclusions here? Perhaps ms will alow for ones like that.

Three

Personally am fine with it, use official licensed or 3rd party licenced controllers and you have no issues.

To many devices that let people cheat online and it’s a shit show. A say good riddance.
Nah it's pretty dumb. Especially since they've been harping on about crossplay and often have no way of disabling on xbox. You'll run into these devices anyway and just not be able to use legit peripherals on xbox like adapters or other wireless controllers.

Dice

Aren't you jumping to conclusions here? Perhaps ms will alow for ones like that.
No. They just jumped to a conclusion that they need to un-jump. When a company makes an astoundingly anti-consumer move you don't stick around going "Maybe someday they will stop fucking me over"

If you LITERALLY UNPLUG MY CONTROLLER that is the biggest fucking move a company can make to tell me I am unwelcome on their platform.

MS you can have this one if you get off your assess and ban/fight the hell out of modded/cheat controllers, Cronus devices and the like. Online play sucks with cheaters.

If they did more in this department I'd be more sympathetic to corporate licensing enforcement like ITT.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No. They just jumped to a conclusion that they need to un-jump. When a company makes an astoundingly anti-consumer move you don't stick around going "Maybe someday they will stop fucking me over"

If you LITERALLY UNPLUG MY CONTROLLER that is the biggest fucking move a company can make to tell me I am unwelcome on their platform.

That's a whole lot of drama. It's a fixed hardware platform with licensed peripherals.
There something called a pc that avoids all of this for consumers who want ultimate flexibility.

This "anti consumer" move affects like 0.001% of thier customers, just because it might affect you, you are losing your mind?

Next thing you know you'll be mad at ms because you cant hook your xbox series x into composite video inputs from your 20 yr old TV. Xbox 360 came out 18 years ago. Also can't you just buy a new joystick?

Last edited:
That seems...arbitrary?

Don't pull support for products you've already licensed. Just stop issuing licenses and phase out 3rd party offerings over time.

Personally I've found most 3rd party offerings to be hot trash. But there are exceptions and I'm remiss to believe that walling off the Xbox ecosystem in this way is good for both consumers and the platform.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That seems...arbitrary?

Don't pull support for products you've already licensed. Just stop issuing licenses and phase out 3rd party offerings over time.

Personally I've found most 3rd party offerings to be hot trash. But there are exceptions and I'm remiss to believe that walling off the Xbox ecosystem in this way is good for both consumers and the platform.

They're not pulling support for licensed third party controllers, just unlicensed ones.

Topic title is wrong/misleading, a common trend.

Last edited:

Dice

That's a whole lot of drama. It's a fixed hardware platform with licensed peripherals.
There something called a pc that avoids all of this for consumers who want ultimate flexibility.

This "anti consumer" move affects like 0.001% of thier customers, just because it might affect you, you are losing your mind?

Next thing you know you'll be mad at ms because you cant hook your xbox series x into composite video inputs from your 20 yr old TV. Xbox 360 came out 18 years ago. Also can't you just buy a new joystick?
1) Yes, PC is where I will go when I dump them for this. It has been making rapid advancements for fighting and racing fans.
2) You are obviously completely ignorant of the FGC and Racing sim communities. This deeply affects a huge number of people.
3) Get fucked with your "Just buy another $250 controller every new system" bullshit. There is absolutely no reason for them to block out controllers for their own past systems, ESPECIALLY when they have hundreds of BC titles for that system running on the new one. It's pure anti-consumer money grubbing.
4) Nobody makes arcade sticks of the quality I have anymore. It happened only a couple times. Thousands of people in the FGC do custom builds because of this.

Three

You can't be serious with this shit The Duck. First of all controller adapters are not old or obsolete tech. A lot of FGC and steering wheel users use them. Secondly you bet your ass if they suddenly decided to ban me from using my TV simply because they wanted to make more money I would be justified in being pissed no matter how in the minority I am. If it's not such a big deal why ban it in the first place?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fine with me. Unlicensed third party stuff is probably junk.

I stick to first party gear. First and only time I bought a no name third party gadget was to save probably $5 back in the day on a PS1 memory card. Kept deleting all the saves some reason. Works for a week or two, then next time it's blank. Got a Sony branded memory card and worked fine.

DaGwaphics

Unlicensed wireless controllers are a thing?

The pool of people who own an unlicensed wireless controller has to be verrrry small.

I'm surprised by some of the brands listed, as I would not expect a couple of them to release unlicensed products. I know for a long time MS didn't allow any third-party wireless controllers, with just wired being allowed.

Did they ever officially change that, or did companies just find a way around it?

Top Bottom