• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1/2/3 Seamless HD Projects have been released

stranno

Not fully reworked versions, like Resident Evil 4 HD by Cris and Albert, also not a bare bones ESRGAN batching process, like most HD packs. This project is compatible with the PC Rebirth versions and the Gamecube versions through Dolphin.

bg_texts_f.jpg

These games, as well as any other "Alone in the Dark clone", uses a lot of seamless masks and AI doesn't take that into account, so an automatic process just destroys the seamless background patterns. Lots of graphics have been manually tweaked, reworked, vectorized, etc. Sounds have been fixed as well and the game is still 4:3, but FOV has been slightly increased (only in RE2 and RE3).

aspect_ratio_f.jpg

Residence of Evil did a live playthrough yesterday.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
These are cool, lots of respect to the people who worked on them.

I have access to the OG games in 240p so I've never played these versions but I'm glad they are available for everyone else. Good shit.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Finally! This will be a great update to the OG's visuals. I think the original RE trilogy (well, just RE2 and RE3) are amazing visually and hold up all these years later. This pack just really shows it thanks to the AI upscaled textures.

I'm glad projects exist for old fixed camera CGI games to make them look up to par with 2023 standards. A great alternative for people who don't like the direction the remakes went in, too.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Got to be honest, playing the game on Retroarch with a CRT filter like CRT-Royale looks much better than this, I don't mean to diminish these guys effort just a personal opinion and taste.
why not play this HD mod on Retroarch with a CRT Filter? Even with a CRT low resolution images will still look like shit in comparison to high resolution, they just look less shit than viewed on a flat panel.

Red5

why not play this HD mod on Retroarch with a CRT Filter? Even with a CRT low resolution images will still look like shit in comparison to high resolution, they just look less shit than viewed on a flat panel.

I can use CRT Filters for PC games? I thought they're only for Retroarch and other emulators.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can use CRT Filters for PC games? I thought they're only for Retroarch and other emulators.
Technically you can with ReShade, but the creator also offered this mod for the Gamecube versions of the games via Dolphin, and Dolphin is an emulator core available in Retroarch, soooooooooo......

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sorry, that RE3 screenshot looks really ugly.
RE1 doesn’t look that bad in motion in the trailer on the site, but I’d need to watch it on a big screen to see how it would really look on thr average modern screen. And the water in the garden pool looks terrible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE2 and 3 seamless HD mods have been out for year(s).

The RE1 mod is the new one.

The AI upscaling has a lot less to work with compared to RE2 and 3, so the results aren't as good.

But it's still the best way to replay these games now since Capcom are probably never going to do any work and re-release them.

The RE1 pack also does a VERY good job AI up-scaling the 240p FMV into somewhat HD.

SxBz10F.jpg

Last edited:

Fake

but why play the original over the remake?

I like the REmake, but there are some changes that remove the classic factor from the original game, not to mention some folks don't like ng+.

I played a tons of REmake on my Game Cube and I really dissapointed by how they treat the crest in the remake.

Collecting crests on the REmake is almost non existence.

adamsapple

What does seamless mean here?

It's their title for fixing the seams issue in legacy methods to try and AI upscale the backgrounds.

What’s the big deal with “seamless masks”?​

The RESHDP texture pack solves the seam issue that always comes up when any kind of filtering or upscaling is applied to the game’s mask textures.

Our solution was to create a tool that analyzes the game data to regenerate completely new mask textures from the upscaled background textures. The original mask textures are not used or processed in any way.

It used to be like this:

Seam_f.jpg

Now it's like this:

Seamless_f.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Finally they're released for Rebirth! Shout out to Gemini for making the PC versions the best versions.

I haven't seen the latest versions yet, but truth be told I wasn't wholly convinced by earlier work on RE1. Things looked too AI upscaled to the point where everything had that smooth painted fake look. 3 had much more detail, and you see the CGI of the time brought back out from the finished product the game released with.

Last edited:

MarkyG

Shame the background music is still low quality, hissy wav files. There is a nice, much higher quality soundpack out there though, which is based on the Director's Cut of RE1. I've tested it and it works beautifully.

Neff

Got to be honest, playing the game on Retroarch with a CRT filter like CRT-Royale looks much better than this, I don't mean to diminish these guys effort just a personal opinion and taste.

Totally agree. It's an impressive effort but it looks horrible compared to the originals.

The games captured the original renderings to the best of their 240i ability, and that detail and texture is forever baked into that low resolution. It's literally locked into colour gradients from one pixel to the next. 'Enhancing' and sharpening edges doesn't bring any of that lost detail back. It simply further muddies an already compromised image. You'll get sharper edges but the overall composition is sacrificed.

Original resolution with a scanline filter is by far the best way to retain the intended detail and enjoy these old games imo.

adamsapple

Finally they're released for Rebirth! Shout out to Gemini for making the PC versions the best versions.

I haven't seen the latest versions yet, but truth be told I wasn't wholly convinced by earlier work on RE1. Things looked too AI upscaled to the point where everything had that smooth painted fake look. 3 had much more detail, and you see the CGI of the time brought back out from the finished product the game released with.

Yeah, unfortunately there is little to work with for RE1, the original PC version of RE1 already had more compressed backgrounds compared to the PSX.

But it's the best we're gonna get since Capcom isn't going to do any kind of remastering on the originals at this point.

Amazing fan effort.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yeah, unfortunately there is little to work with for RE1, the original PC version of RE1 already had more compressed backgrounds compared to the PSX.

But it's the best we're gonna get since Capcom isn't going to do any kind of remastering on the originals at this point.

Amazing fan effort.
100%, and I was pleasantly surprised watching the trailer after. Maybe it's because it was on my phone, maybe they've improved. Either way I'll be using all packs and I'm very happy they all exist and we get to play these improved classics

RIB InfinteCombo, he would have loved this thread 😭

Last edited:
Top Bottom