• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom quietly removes Ray Tracing from Steam versions of Resident Evil 2 & 3 Remakes

Final Edit 4/20/23:
It's been fixed. Apparently it was a mistake.

Original post follows:

Last year, Capcom released a next-gen update (adding Ray Tracing and 3D Audio) for the Steam version of the game after the PS5 & XSX versions were released but they were poorly received because they performed worse than the previous DX11-only versions. As a remedy, Capcom allowed players to roll back to the previous DX11 version of the game if they chose.

Fast forward to yesterday, and Capcom put out a notice that support for the DX11 versions would end in July 2023. The versions won't be removed altogether (they are still available via beta branch), they simply won't receive further support through official Capcom channels.

HOWEVER, they also updated the Steam version of the games and they no longer have Ray Tracing or 3D Audio. Huh?? I'm not seeing a lot of chatter about it outside of their dedicated Steam forums (probably because most Resi fans are still playing and talking about RE4R), and I'm hoping it's just a mistake of some sort, but I thought I'd make a thread to draw some attention to the issue.

I recently replayed RE3 on Steam with RT On and it was beautiful. Was looking forward to replaying RE2 with RT as well but alas...

Edit:
Some Steam forum threads that report the issue

Edit2:
So I find out there is a way to download old updates on Steam (PC gaming FTW).

If you want to reenable RT on RE2, the console code is:
Code:
download_depot 883710 883715 4596656973454619188

For RE3, the console code is:
Code:
download_depot 952060 952062 7305189131432908184

Remember to follow the instructions in the link to the letter or you might mess up something. Also make sure to have enough space on your hard drive because it's basically redownloading the entire game.

Last edited:

Killer8

They probably broke it by mistake. And they'll potentially take months to fix it. TAA flat out didn't work for years across a load of RE Engine games and they didn't even notice (even affected Monster Hunter Rise).

Patrick S.

Banned
Japanese devs

Will Forte Idk GIF by MacGruber

DaGwaphics

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's too funny. I don't get why they'd do that, unless they are reworking it in some way. Did they actually remove it from the game or did the mention just get deleted from the sales page?

Last edited:

GHG

Are you serious?

Are they trying to compete with the Ghostwire Tokyo devs who are retroactively adding denuvo to their game?
It crashed and did barely anything outside of re3

You say this about RT games all the time for some reason. It's important that is starts to get wide adoption so that developer pipelines can adjust to it moving forwards.

Last edited:

M1987

Are you serious?

Are they trying to compete with the Ghostwire Tokyo devs who are retroactively adding denuvo to their game?
It's not gone,I started my first playthrough of RE3 a couple of hours ago and it definitely had Ray tracing

Edit:looks I was wrong as the option isn't even there 😂

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG
It must be broken a lot if they even take it out.
In my experience it was more stable than the RT in RE4. I can be in Red VRAM usage and it wouldn't crash, while RE4 has a high chance of crashing even in Yellow.
Was just playing RE3 and it still had Ray tracing
Show me a picture of your settings where it clearly states Ray Tracing, please.
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ZopsYqv.jpg

It would be right under Resolution.

M1987

In my experience it was more stable than the RT in RE4. I can be in Red VRAM usage and it wouldn't crash, while RE4 has a high chance of crashing even in Yellow.

Show me a picture of your settings where it clearly states Ray Tracing, please.
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ZopsYqv.jpg

It would be right under Resolution.
Just checked and you was right,it's gone.It definitely looked like it had RT while I was playing it though

Whatever. The best nude mods only work on the non RT versions.
I have it on good authority that there are now a good amount of RT-compatible mods of that nature. God bless modders.
Just checked and you was right,it's gone.It definitely looked like it had RT while I was playing it though
What's weird is that the console versions still have RT. It must be a mistake. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to fix...

Kuranghi

Its pretty comical how broken shit is in RE Engine, I still like it overall but I couldn't play RE2 and 3 Remake on console due to the number of forced broken features. On PC you can turn them all off easily but then only on PC it has the weird sharpening... even though it has sharpening as an option, its like they are smoking trees over there.

M1987

I have it on good authority that there are now a good amount of RT-compatible mods of that nature. God bless modders.

What's weird is that the console versions still have RT. It must be a mistake. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to fix...
Yeah I won't be playing any more RE3 until they fix it,but it definitely looked like it was there

CGNoire

Last year, Capcom released a next-gen update (adding Ray Tracing and 3D Audio) for the Steam version of the game after the PS5 & XSX versions were released but they were poorly received because they performed worse than the previous DX11-only versions. As a remedy, Capcom allowed players to roll back to the previous DX11 version of the game if they chose.

Fast forward to yesterday, and Capcom put out a notice that support for the DX11 versions would end in July 2023. The versions won't be removed altogether (they are still available via beta branch), they simply won't receive further support through official Capcom channels.

HOWEVER, they also updated the Steam version of the games and they no longer have Ray Tracing or 3D Audio. Huh?? I'm not seeing a lot of chatter about it outside of their dedicated Steam forums (probably because most Resi fans are still playing and talking about RE4R), and I'm hoping it's just a mistake of some sort, but I thought I'd make a thread to draw some attention to the issue.

I recently replayed RE3 on Steam with RT On and it was beautiful. Was looking forward to replaying RE2 with RT as well but alas...

Edit:
Some Steam forum threads that report the issue
Fucking stupid. Was about to play RE3make with RT for 1st time.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Fucking stupid. Was about to play RE3make with RT for 1st time.

I literally just bought the gold edition of Village to play that for the first time this weekend.

They better not mess with it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Unrelated but this reminded me of that one time when I saw a button with a picture of Ray Charles on it and it said "RAY TRACING" underneath and it just made me laugh.

🤷‍♂️

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Nocturno999

This is kind of a sign from Capcom.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the way of Phys X and other overhyped technologies.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I literally just bought the gold edition of Village to play that for the first time this weekend.

They better not mess with it.

Too late. Lady Dimitrescu’s got A cups now.

On a more serious note I only played RE2, and that was thankfully before they hurt performance with the update. Never followed it afterwards, and never got to see the RT addition.

Doesn’t make sense that Capcom would pull the upscalers as well if that’s the case. Hopefully it all comes back.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i thought the left pic was rtx on

No, you see the bad broken spotches in front of Claire? That's what the SSR in the RE2 and 3 remakes looks like.

The RT is subdued, and not the highest resolution, but it is not broken and makes the reflections look stable.

Braag

The RT patch broke some of stuff such as SSR (apparently also on consoles). Dunno if they fixed those issues but could be they went back to the drawing board to improve the game and the RT.

Last edited:

Sakura

I couldn't tell the difference. RT makes a huge difference in some games, like Cyberpunk. But not in others. Sometimes realistic doesn't mean better looking
Really depends on how the RT is implemented I think. Some games might say they have raytracing, but all it is doing is raytracing shadows, and only shadows that are close to the player, for example. In such a situation you will of course notice barely any difference.

Doczu

The RT patch broke some of stuff such as SSR (apparently also on consoles). Dunno if they fixed those issues but could be they went back to the drawing board to improve the game and the RT.
Nah man, it literally fixed it in the best possible way.
SSR in RE engine is fucking garbo.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The DX11 builds with SSR are superior anyway, at least on my quite old machine. Floor reflections are such a small detail that I would never ever pick them over performance.

Good thing RT is optional then.

Some of us have the hardware necessary to play with RT on without needing to sacrifice framerate. No reason for them to stop those who have the capability from playing it that way.
The Office Thank You GIF

The people in this thread saying "good" to an optional feature being removed had me so confused

Top Bottom