• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

.Pennywise

Banned
E83aiVH.png

miL0cAD.png

lRkoYQI.png

9hxzEJp.png

i5gQkOb.png

CHADRwb.png

skHeZwC.png

7cyUwIj.png

SHjjlMq.png

LcfHcxV.png

V8ydnE5.png

7A9Q476.jpg

eqWcFbT.png

CGVP7dK.png

BLdNubV.jpg
0mvDTSJ.jpg
qt21PlL.jpg
CXq6sd3.jpg
sZXCA2C.jpg
rXKY5vn.jpg
OF3bpUP.jpg
HdqknUh.jpg
GEoTnmA.jpg

l0szbxt.png

PIJyaoC.png

zD9vkmn.png

czGb4DB.png

uTZoELP.png

gghwCAI.png

tpLDRV6.png

kmaaA4z.png

O6zsvah.png

7u7xZrD.png

C62ecWY.png

SSRFva7.jpg

KE5rXmb.png

bAw0yCf.jpg

qh3Rn72.png

Leon & Ashley Costumes: 'Casual'
Leon & Ashley Costumes: 'Romantic'
Leon Costume & Filter: 'Hero'
Leon Costume & Filter: 'Villain'
Deluxe Weapon: 'Sentinel Nine'
Deluxe Weapon: 'Skull Shaker'
Treasure Map: Expansion
Leon Accessory: 'Sunglasses (Sporty)'
'Original Ver.' Soundtrack Swap

gMFP6yK.png

oz2xpIp.jpg

vLw1Tet.png

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Hey guys, apologies for the late OT. I've got the OT finished like a week ago already but didn't want to put it up so early. Unfortunately my girlfriend got sick and has some problems so I've been at her place these last days. I just could get home a couple hours ago and retrieve the files from my PC to upload.

Anyway, hope you like it and enjoy the game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey guys, apologies for the late OT. I've got the OT finished like a week ago already but didn't want to put it up so early. Unfortunately my girlfriend got sick and has some problems so I've been at her place these last days. I just could get home a couple hours ago and retrieve the files from my PC to upload.

Anyway, hope you like it and enjoy the game.
No worries. Hope shes feeling better.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
It's impossible NOT to be nitpicky about this, considering it's a remake of one of the best games of all time (it's still in my top 3) but: I just reached the castle, and... I don't love it.

It's obviously a fantastic game that's a lot of fun to play, but every change I've encountered, both big and small, came across as unnecessary or annoying, and I'm quite sure that's not just because I'm an old fart who doesn't like change.

If anything, the changes have made me realise how well everything was balanced towards player agency and fun in the original game, as most of the changes in the remake just feel... immediately less fun. They feel like they were done merely to be different, without having thought about how they upend the delicate balance of it all. Like, cool, you can walk and shoot now, but they've made all the enemies more aggressive to compensate. So in order to compensate for that, they've allowed parries. Awesome, but they're pretty OP, so they made the knife breakable so you don't go Sekiro on everyone's ass. But because a broken knife sucks, they've also included kitchen knives (!?!?!) so that we can still have the parry even when our main knife is broken. Etc.

Like, the core of Resi 4 is still here, but despite this remake's grandeur and graphical fidelity it's definitely a worse game than the original, design wise.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Excellent remake so far. Capcom has gone all in. Very faithful remake with incredible art direction that stays true to Mikamis vision. It looks absolutely stunning sometimes. There are small additions to gameplay and story that fleshes out the game in areas where the original felt rushed which I feel has been done very well. Been playing all damn day and I just can't stop. It got the same style and substance as in 2005. I love it as much as the original. So far anyway.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm in Chapter 8, so far it's amazing. I actually may not be able to go back to the Original after this, and that's coming from someone who played OG RE4 on release, and many of it's ports after. Not that it hasn't aged well, but I've loved every change in this Remake so far. The story and the characters are better, the challenge is better, I love the exploration and the redesign of the Village and the Castle so far, even the bosses are better. The customizable attache case is welcome addition and gives you incentive to do the Shooting Gallery. The knife and parry system is such a great method for defense. I even like The Merchant better in this one.

It's obvious that the development team wanted to go for Horror, as opposed to Campy Horror from the Original, and I think they've succeed in that regard. Whether that's a good or bad thing I guess depends on your taste. I'm still not close to finishing it, but I can tell this is gonna go down as a Survival Horror classic.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm loving it so far. Chapter 3. They've changed enough and it's been long enough that it feels fresh. Hell of a looker too.

Generic

It's impossible NOT to be nitpicky about this, considering it's a remake of one of the best games of all time (it's still in my top 3) but: I just reached the castle, and... I don't love it.

It's obviously a fantastic game that's a lot of fun to play, but every change I've encountered, both big and small, came across as unnecessary or annoying, and I'm quite sure that's not just because I'm an old fart who doesn't like change.

If anything, the changes have made me realise how well everything was balanced towards player agency and fun in the original game, as most of the changes in the remake just feel... immediately less fun. They feel like they were done merely to be different, without having thought about how they upend the delicate balance of it all. Like, cool, you can walk and shoot now, but they've made all the enemies more aggressive to compensate. So in order to compensate for that, they've allowed parries. Awesome, but they're pretty OP, so they made the knife breakable so you don't go Sekiro on everyone's. But because a broken knife sucks, they've also included kitchen knives (!?!?!) so that we can still have the parry even when our main knife is broken. Etc.

Like, the core of Resi 4 is still here, but despite this remake's grandeur and graphical fidelity it's definitely a worse game than the original, design wise.
The RE2 Remake team isn't exactly know for smart game design. The RE3 Remake team are more capable but people complained about them. Sadly.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally OT! I thought people got triggered by this game.

I'm still at the beginning, but they absolutly nailed this game, I'm super impressed.

Madflavor

Ammo conservation tip for those in the Castle:

The Bolt Thrower works wonders for the spider like Parasites that latch onto other enemies. One bolt kills them, even on Hardcore.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm a little disappointed with the new voice of the Merchant guy. He does the voice but it's not THE voice, if you know what I mean.

But otherwise, it's really solid so far. They way they kinda rearrange stuff in most locations, but still keep them familiar enough to make me recognize where I am, makes my head spin, lol.

It's also significantly harder, which is good. I'd be disappointed if it was the exact same experience that I played through so many times that I can just breeze through it. Remake should spice things up and make me feel the same kind of panic that I felt while playing the original for the first time, and RE4 delivers. Not a big fan of breakable knives, though. The option for stealthy approach is a fun idea but half the time I'm out of blades anyway so it's just kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Fantastic OT.

I'm currently just outside of the ending demo area.

Been getting around with the knife parry mechanic. It has a really cool twist to the combat.

Tweaked a bit with camera sensitivity on PS5. Game looks and plays fantastic.

Capcom are true gods. Their engine and skill is simply amazing.

Last edited:

ssringo

I'm roughly halfway through the castle. I'm loving the game but it's not at the level I was expecting from a couple of reviews I watched. Mostly with regards to snark and one liners. Leon's dialogue just isn't as charmingly goofy (though he and Ashley have some nice moments). Maybe it starts to go off the rails in the back half of the game.

Arachnid

I finally got my collectors edition in and started playing! For once, hardcore mode doesn't feel like a joke in an RE game. I had some serious complaints with 2, 3, and Village difficulty being non-existent for my first playthrough. This game, on the other hand, is kicking my ass. Constantly swarmed and barely scraping by is the way

Also, controlling is ass on Xbox. The complaints are warranted. Normal headshots are rough as hell to pull off, and shooting a stick of dynamite is pure luck. Wtf man, how did playtesters let this pass vs the PS version? I gave my friends PS version a go and controlling was like night and day.

I just finished my pro run for OG RE4 too. It screwed me out of the achievement (it never popped), and that was the only achievement I needed. :/

Anyway, 10/10 so far. I can tell this will shape up to be the best RE game to date.

The RE2 Remake team isn't exactly know for smart game design. The RE3 Remake team are more capable but people complained about them. Sadly.
Judging by what we got in RE3make, I wouldn't call them more capable. The RE2/4make team runs circles around them. I don't think RE is their sandbox.

Last edited:
.Pennywise .Pennywise is still a heel for making that "aged like milk" thread, but you can't deny that his threads are a draw. I nominate him to make the RE4make OP, whatever title it ends up having.

.Pennywise .Pennywise I want you to know that when I saw you were indeed the one to make the OT, I shouted "YES!" and raised my hands up triumphantly IRL. Congrats on the long-game you played us all for! :p

Madflavor

I'm roughly halfway through the castle. I'm loving the game but it's not at the level I was expecting from a couple of reviews I watched. Mostly with regards to snark and one liners. Leon's dialogue just isn't as charmingly goofy (though he and Ashley have some nice moments). Maybe it starts to go off the rails in the back half of the game.

With the more serious approach to the story and characters, I think they pushed Leon's one liners as far as they could without crossing into goofy territory. They probably also want to remain somewhat consistent with his character from RE2R. The one liners and snarkiness is definitely still there, just toned down. I'm in the Castle and so far I've heard a couple one liners from him I really liked.

rapid32.5

Where are the textures in Chapters 3 and 4 on Series X ? Leon is walking in the air. Capcom hasn't tested this game you can tell.

I'm suuuuuuuuuuper late to the party, but I finally tried out the RE4make Chainsaw Demo this evening. Thoughts below!

- I'm running it on an MSI MS-16Q2 (GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF) gaming laptop hooked up to a 27" 1440p60Hz monitor, so I'm not playing on high specs with the big boys. I have it set to Ultra Performance and constant 60fps, but in a few areas it briefly dipped to ~55.
That said, I'm a belated gamer these days, so I'm happy with the graphics and framerate I'm able to get. And speaking of the graphics, Capcom nailed the creepiness factor with the environments. It actually makes me uneasy walking around many of these locations.

- As someone who breezes through OG RE4 and gets decent scores on The Mercenaries, it's been a real change adapting to the playstyle and mechanics of RE4make.
For one, crouching/crouchwalking/sneaking is pretty interesting, at least so far. I've been learning the subtleties of switching movement modes (crouching/walking/running), and learning what I can and can't do.
I adore how the item case works now, especially the autosort option. Thank you Capcom!

- I'm a chickenshit when it comes to horror games, so just like with RE2make so far, I've been moving and playing RE4make really slow.
When I feel more comfortable with the movement, aiming, how to efficiently take out enemies, and (gasp) parrying, I might start moving more quickly.
So far, to me it feels way, WAY less actiony than OG RE4, and more like a creepy, scary MGS title.

I have more thoughts, but I should save them for when I've played more of the game.
Overall, I've enjoyed the experience and give two thumbs up of approval. I don't think it's an outright replacement for OG RE4, but it's a damn fine "reimagining" of the game and a good complement to the original.

To all of you playing the full version right now. Have fun!

EekTheKat

Figured out an interesting Audio bug on PS5.

High Resolution mode + Ray Tracing = audio dropouts on 5.1 audio or so. Areas of the game would go silent and back every few seconds.

High Performance Mode + Ray Tracing so far doesn't seem to have this problem.

Will do a bit more testing on my end, as it could be my overly complicated setup failing at some weird point due to faulty hardware. But so far from what I've seen this is how RE4R behaves on my setup.

I tend to favor High Resolution mode + Ray Tracing because RE engine performs remarkably well for what it's trying to do.

Monster Hunter Rise on PS5 doesn't seem to have this problem (IIRC it's another RE engine game), but it doesn't push the hardware nearly as hard as this game does.

Last edited:
I just made it to the castle.
It's very cool, I like it a lot, but it also feels way easier than the original, probably because of the movement and knife being strong as hell.
I died once at a boss fight, because it had a bit of nonsense, but other than that smooth sailing
The game is action packed though lol, the OG already had tons of action, but this game has more than RE5 even; I think at one point I had 120 bullets for my handgun.
Stream from after the demo section, up till the castle:

april6e

I already knew this game was going to be incredible because IMO, the original is a top 12 game of all time. But all the new content they added like the new parry system, charms giving you passive abilities and quality of life additions like being restricted from putting ammo and such into your storage (to avoid people cheesing by saving up dozens of healing items) fits so naturally into the gameplay to the point where it feels like it was always there.

I'm in gaming heaven, Capcom has delivered once again.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Is it just me or does this game feel… slower than the original.

Leon feels slower. Battles are slower. Stealth kills and backtracking to kill rats etc.

It definitely feels like RE4 using the RE engine like 2 and 3 Remakes

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Is it just me or does this game feel… slower than the original.

Leon feels slower. Battles are slower. Stealth kills and backtracking to kill rats etc.

It definitely feels like RE4 using the RE engine like 2 and 3 Remakes
With KB+M I actually feel way more agile, especially considering you can walk while aiming

PanzerAzel

Nice OT.

Just up to the lake. I’m enjoying it so far; it’s interesting seeing the combination of the old and new in the level design. It’s a difficult battle to win against the goggles of nostalgia for what is many peoples’ GOAT, but I think they did an admirable job so far as I’ve seen. This thing looks sublime in 4K on PC on the highest settings running 60, but man does it turn my room into an oven.

A few minor quibbles.

Why take away the laser sight, from the start for some guns, and permanently for others? The reticle is an amateurish blemish on an otherwise great looking game.

What is the logic in allowing us to store some gear at the typewriter and not others? I seem to be able to put guns and first aid sprays, but nothing else? Inventory space is tight as it is, and if they’re going to now include resources (gunpowder/parts) that clutter up my space, including things like vipers that don’t stack yet aren’t pertinent to immediate battle but only to quests, it seems odd they’d be so restrictive. There’s no logic or pro/con to this preclusion, it’s just a hassle, and renders it far less useful an addition than it otherwise may have been.

Hope to see modders eventually address some of these. Otherwise, yeah I’m enjoying this quite a bit.

Madflavor

What is the logic in allowing us to store some gear at the typewriter and not others? I seem to be able to put guns and first aid sprays, but nothing else? Inventory space is tight as it is, and if they’re going to now include resources (gunpowder/parts) that clutter up my space, including things like vipers that don’t stack yet aren’t pertinent to immediate battle but only to quests, it seems odd they’d be so restrictive. There’s no logic or pro/con to this preclusion, it’s just a hassle, and renders it far less useful an addition than it otherwise may have been.

The Remake has more guns than the Original, not to mention the newly introduced crafting and knife system. That's too much for the attache case. They had to give use a secondary method of storage. But they knew if they added a Storage Box, fans would bitch about the departure from the attache case, which is iconic to RE4. So they compromised as best they could. There's storage but only for Extra Guns and First Aid Sprays. This is honestly fine. Managing your inventory was a staple of OG RE4, and Resident Evil in general, especially in the older games.

I can see this being an issue on easier difficulties where the game is raining supplies on you, and enemies are going down in 1-2 hits. But I'm playing on Hardcore and it's very well balanced. I'm never overburdened.

Arachnid

I only got regular edition and the handgun ammo charm and gold attaché case as pre-order bonus, the code was on my receipt.
I preordered from Gamestop online when the CEs went up and never got an email with this code. Guess I'll have to call.

Thanks Danjin

drotahorror

I'm pretty early in the game, but what's up with the performance? I was rocking 100+ fps in some parts and around 70-80 during the village scene.

Now I just walked through a dark tunnel into a new area and my framerate is in the 30's??

It's not clearing up either, it sort of did that as I approached the village but straightened back up. Not this time though. My card isn't throttling, my temps are in the 50's both gpu/cpu. 6700k/3060 ti, 1080p not even close to ultra settings either. Have latest drivers too.

Well I died, no surprise aiming with awful framerate, reloaded game and it's back to 80+ fps...

Last edited:

K' Dash

I said this in another thread, but the pacing of this games suffers a lot and won’t offer the same masterful replayability of the OG, there’s too much exploration and backtracking for useless shit that only mines the experience.

I’m enjoying it, but there are certain core aspects that the team didn’t get:

-Laser sight
-Treasures being very light puzzles in the way
-Backtracking to do shit
-The battles don’t feel as snappy, fast and satisfying
-Too much, and I mean a hell of a lot more battles were you need to do crowd control and no effective weapons to do it
-This could be just me but the pistols and shotguns don’t feel powerful enough? Graphically looks like a lot of damage and gore, then you see everyone getting up like nothing

Just got to the castle, let’s see how it goes.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
s8NV1GU.jpg

Well, let's see if it's any better (GFX and modern controls aside) than original action-oriented campy circus of a game. Keeping my expectations in check even though the demo was quite promising.

Top Bottom