• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

Madflavor

true. interesting. I thought RE games are mainstream and are doing much bigger numbers
lNGnHDL.png
They sell pretty well, maybe they just don’t have a big PC player base.

Madflavor

Well some of those nu,mbers are actually pretty good for peak numbers with a AAA single player game on Steam.
Also the RE games are not as big as people think. Arent most of them in the 4-8mil sales range, even after years on sale?.
RE7 and RE2 have sold 11+ million so far. RE3R is at 6, and RE8 7.4.

RE4R likely will be one of their fastest selling.

Interesting as i have seen a few streamers playing on standard that have had their arse handed to them, resulting in them saying the game is surprisingly harder than the orig game.
I'm even watching one right now, who is a Resi veteran, and usually plays games on the hardest difficulty, getting killed numerous times on standard difficulty.

Maybe you're just really good at the game.
To be fair I'm watching someone play that long set-piece in the castle and he's failing over and over and I know he's decent at games. Maybe my playstyle just really works for this game as I had no problems there.

Madflavor

The Bolt Thrower is very useful at helping you conserve ammo. It’s worth upgrading its power and capacity. On Hardcore I can save bullets by taking down enemies. Usually takes 6 bolts. But you can recover them.

Also yes the game is definitely harder than the Original. Enemies can run and close in on you so fast. During sections with a lot of enemies, it’s much harder to conserve ammo by lining up those perfect shots and kicking them. I’ve learned to accept that sometimes you just gotta say “fuck it” and pull out your Boomstick or TMP on even regular enemies during the more chaotic fights.

Stuart360

To be fair I'm watching someone play that long set-piece in the castle and he's failing over and over and I know he's decent at games. Maybe my playstyle just really works for this game as I had no problems there.
Yeah seen a few streamers fail at that castle section. The Resi veteran i'm watching now died literally about 10 times at the village part where you are with the spanish guy and have to defend the house from all the villagers coming in and attacking. He's played Resi 4 like 100 times too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I finished my first run yesterday (Have had the game since the 21st), playing the second run for unlocking missing things.

The combat loop in this remake, especially with the parry mechanic, is the most satisfying in the franchise for a long time.

Yeah seen a few streamers fail at that castle section. The Resi veteran i'm watching now died literally about 10 times at the village part where you are with the spanish guy and have to defend the house from all the villagers coming in and attacking. He's played Resi 4 like 100 times too.
Yeah I one shot that bit and didn't even see that I could kick ladders etc until the last few seconds.

I guess the fact I've never played this before and I'm exploring every inch of the map probably means I have tons more ammo etc than someone who is just blasting through as quickly as possible.

consoul

I am loving this. It's familiar and comfortable, but different enough to keep you on your toes.

Playing through on Hardcore first time and it's tense! Feeling like I'm always on the backfoot; never certain that I'm sufficiently equipped for what's coming next. I might not survive, but it's fun trying.

consoul

Do I need to buy the maps if I have the deluxe edition?
No, the deluxe edition map is supposed to reveal all treasures. There should be nothing else to reveal.

*edit* I was wrong. Tested it out by buying the merchant's village map and can confirm some additional treasures appeared.

Last edited:

consoul

I don't know what to believe anymore about the deluxe edition treasure map. Conflicting info out there.

Last edited:

skneogaf

On hardcore and may be stuck!

with Luis in the horde part and only just making it till bull head dude comes in, I only have a couple of bullets at the start.

I did it on 3rd try by calling in Patrick swayze and roundhouse everything

Last edited:

Madflavor

with Luis in the horde part and only just making it till bull head dude comes in, I only have a couple of bullets at the start.
Not sure if you have the option to restart the Chapter, or hopefully you have multiple saves. I'm saying this if I'm to take your post literally, and you really only have a couple of bullets.

Otherwise maybe keep trying and hopefully RNG will be kind and drop plenty of ammo during the fight.

fuck the shooting range with controller.
Yeah NGL, when I was doing the Shooting Gallery on my KB&M, my first thoughts went to Console Players who have to put up with the Deadzone issues.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I'm also on that difficulty, a bit difficult, but when Dr. Salvador appears, I use my "Death Zone" technique ( that's how I baptize it), I use the transition zone so that the enemies stop and they don't chase me, so I eliminate them easily and save ammunition .

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I don't know what to believe anymore about the deluxe edition treasure map. Conflicting info out there.
Discover the hidden treasures that await! With this map, additional treasures will be placed throughout the game. Some of these treasures can only be obtained by this method.

Madflavor

I'm also on that difficulty, a bit difficult, but when Dr. Salvador appears, I use my "Death Zone" technique ( that's how I baptize it), I use the transition zone so that the enemies stop and they don't chase me, so I eliminate them easily and save ammunition .

Dr. Salvador didn't appear for me during that section. I ended up killing him earlier on, so I wonder if that's why.

Madflavor

Bolt Thrower is so useful. Just a tip if you're playing on Hardcore and need to conserve ammo. It's very effective against:

Those spider-like parasites, wolves, and those giant insects in the Castle.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Okay, this game really starts to get on my nerves with the constant ambushes. It's okay if you do that every once in a while, the original game did them too. But in the remake, very often I will finishing off a group of peasants while walking through some linear path, and literally after walking forward about 10 more feet, I get boxed in by another group that literally materializes out of nowhere.

It's so fucking cheap and annoying.

Neff

I did it on hardcore, took me a few tries but I managed it.

Live off your knife parry as much as you can. Don't use it to escape grabs or finish off guys on the floor, so it'll last longer. Craft every resource you have, prioritising shotgun rounds, grenades and flash grenades. Make your headshots count and abuse ensuing melee attacks. I find barricading the bottom floor window furthest from the stairs most useful so I can concentrate on the two windows facing the same direction. Use any barricades as soon as you get them. Kick the ladders off the top floor if you head up. Try to have at least one grenade for when the big guy shows up.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
so... I dont know if games have evolved past what im currently playing or something, but this is a 5/5 star game now?

I mean it looks nice, but I'm not having fun when playing like I remember when I did RE4, I feel quite often frustrated. almost as if the combat feels worse. I honestly just am not looking forward to playing it more. its surreal.

something is off about the experience or Resident evil 4 is just not as good a game as I remember. Story wise its one of my least fav Resident Evil's and I always thought from an story telling perspective it was when the series started going wrong, but man if I didn't enjoy the gameplay. I am honest confused why this is getting perfect reviews something just feels wrong with it.

Last edited:

Croga

I have the deluxe map, and it's generally just pointing at those hanging cages dotted about the place.

I bought the additional map off the merchant and it tagged some treasures I missed straight away, so can confirm the deluxe map doesn't show everything.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but man if I didn't enjoy the gameplay. I am honest confused why this is getting perfect reviews something just feels wrong with it.
Just because you didn’t enjoy the gameplay it doesn’t mean others didn’t. I personally loving the gameplay.

Last edited:

Braag

As I said in the review thread this game feels way harder than the original which I've beat countless times.
The house part with Luis was when I felt like the difficulty spiked. I also had problems in the castle courtyard where the catapults are waaay more accurate now and literally drop a fiery bomb directly where you stand unless you stay on the move at all times. And the water room is... well, the water room. It was difficult in the original and it's even more so here.
Leon is a little more capable now too though. But so far, I have to say this is one of the harder RE mainline games.

Madflavor

Hot damn that Mine Cart section with Luis was way more fun than I anticipated. The music absolutely slaps during that sequence too.

Finished the village and the original is dead and buried.
This game is incredible! After the lake fight it just took off and didn't stop get better.

Loved the god of war boat exploration stuff and how it linked all the various locations together.

El Gigante was good loved how deformed he looked.

Then the cabin fight and everything up to the castle entrance was S+.

The combat just so good. Between the added movement, real time weapon switching, knife combos, melee, ducking and precision shooting it just flows.

Could never go back to the originals awkward slow controls.
Spoilers up to the castle above

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I said this in another thread, but this on Deck with Mercanaries mode will be awesome, I got the PS5 version (until I finally upgrade this aging GTX 1060 6gb I'm still a console gamer) and yea grabbing this for cheap on Steam when I can

Locked 40fps by that video. Wow

Nankatsu

Already purchase the sniper rifle after meeting the merchant. Time to pop some heads.

Don't like the new merchant's voice btw. He lost his touch.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I seriously hate those clumsy controls. The only one of those remakes that made the combat fun was Resident Evil 3, and it's one of the very few things that game got right.

RE2 and this game's combat is a huge fucking drag, and it's even worse here because the game insists on throwing huge amount of enemies at you in very cramped spaces, and you don't even get enough ammo or health pick ups to make it manageable. I also hate that damage seems to be completely random. Sometimes I have to pump 3 point blank shotgun blasts into a basic mob and other times it will go down with a single pistol shot. Doesn't make any sense.

I'm really having less fun the further I progress in this game, and I'm getting the urge to just put on the original instead. Or maybe its VR port. Either way, the original was more fun. This game is clunky and the story and dialogue has been stripped of all its charm.

Needlecrash

I only got regular edition and the handgun ammo charm and gold attaché case as pre-order bonus, the code was on my receipt.
On PC I got both cases and both charms from the Deluxe Edition. Only the handgun charm and gold case was available for the Deluxe Edition for PS5.

Pelao

I have an uncollected treasure at The Wharf on the island that I couldn't get back for since I didn't have a way up once I descended into the Holding Cell area. I figured at some point some shortcut would open up to get back, but I'm already at chapter 15 with the helicopter.
Do I have no way to get the treasure anymore and will I have to wait for the next playthrough or will they actually give me some way to backtrack before the final boss?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Okay, I'm at the part now where you have to run from Mendez (who's not even named in this version and he's been reduced to a near-mute Mr. X stand-in because... why exactly?), and it's so fucking annoying. If you or Ashley are hit then it's over, you can just reload a save there because you won't be able to pick that bitch up and either you're gonna get pummeled to death or he's gonna grab her an it's mission failed.

So yeah, they managed to turn what used to be a cool boss fight into something infinitely more shitty.

Why exactly is everyone raving about this remake again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom