• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Separate Ways ($10) has almost the same amount of content that Resident Evil 3 Remake at launch did (retail $60)

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to people who already beaten the RE4 Remake DLC, the game has almost the same amount of content that Resident Evil 3 Remake at launch did (retail $60), the same with reused content from the main game and adding more.

Having just beat the new DLC pack for RE4Make, I was left surprised at the amount of new content, even for one playthrough and it struck me that this DLC makes Resident Evil 3 even more of a ridiculous bad value proposition.

Took me around 4.5h to beat Separate ways and it maaaybe took me 5h to get through RE3Make (talking first playthroughs). With how much the RE3Make was gutted in comparison to the original game, I hope we get a proper remake down the line.

Last edited:

killatopak

This makes so fucking sad. RE3 is like my favorite game ever and it gets such a shitty treatment from Capcom. I was so hyped for the leaked stuff like a different kind of Live Selection and stuff and while I enjoyed it, I was let down by my expectations.

So much cut content and for what? To develop a shitty coop online game that wasn’t even available on release? Fuck…

Madflavor

RE3R has fans. It actually has fans. It’s so beyond my comprehension that anyone can be satisfied with what we got in RE3R. I’m not saying there’s nothing to like in that game, but it was SO obvious even in 2020 that we got a half assed, underbaked product. There was no excuse for that game to be $60 with the amount of content it offered. Jill got done so dirty.

Speaking of getting done dirty, Nemesis was terrible. You’d think after RE2R that Mr X would serve as a prototype for the crazy good stalker mechanic that was coming our way with RE3R and Nemesis. Instead it was such a fucking downgrade. He looked ridiculous with his stretched out head, the game immediately blew its load by revealing him in the first five minutes, and he was completely scripted.

Now we have Separate Ways which offers as much content as RE3R, plays better, gives more options for gunplay, and has just as much enemy variety, for $50 less. Fuck RE3R, that game deserves all the hate it gets.

Last edited:
Go through deja vu with nails on chalk board discount Ada for five hours or play the best remake in the franchise. I know what what I would rather be doing with my time.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This is a complete disingenuous take, 99% of the content in the DLC already exists in the main game, there aren't even new character models because ada and wesker already existed, heck even the Gondola exist in the main game, you can see it it's just broken. The only new bit in here is the Laser room section and the U3 boss, but the second half of that fight sucks major dick.

Davey Cakes

I actually enjoyed RE3 REmake but that’s mostly because I love the aesthetics and the presentation of the city. Most of the sequences featuring Nemesis were kind of miserable if I’m being honest.

After the huge disappointment of the clock tower plaza section, at least you get the hospital which is easily the best sequence in the game. It just makes you wish the entire game was like that.

I got RE3R for 20 bucks and it was totally worth it. Separate Ways sounds like a steal.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This makes so fucking sad. RE3 is like my favorite game ever and it gets such a shitty treatment from Capcom. I was so hyped for the leaked stuff like a different kind of Live Selection and stuff and while I enjoyed it, I was let down by my expectations.

So much cut content and for what? To develop a shitty coop online game that wasn’t even available on release? Fuck…
The "Director's Cut" talks were one of those rare times when I paid attention to the rumours and hoped they were true. RE3 deserved so much more than what it got, and we won't be seeing another attempt at it any other way. A Director's Cut wouldn't have fixed everything, but it would have been a start.

In an ideal world Capcom would "Lords of the Fallen" it and just make a new one in a few years, but that's never going to happen. They're headed straight for the "Wesker lives" timeline and nothing is stopping them.

Bonus rant:
Capcom never fucking lets us use the bonus characters in the main games. I want to go through the main campaign of 4R as Mercenaries characters and I would pay money to do so. I wanted to do it in OG 4, and I want to do it even more now. Just auto skip cutscenes and keep Leon's voice in, it's not a big deal. I want to parry-counter my way through the main game for fuck's sake.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Go through deja vu with nails on chalk board discount Ada for five hours or play the best remake in the franchise. I know what what I would rather be doing with my time.

So, RE4 in both cases then? Gotcha.

Last edited:

killatopak

The "Director's Cut" talks were one of those rare times when I paid attention to the rumours and hoped they were true. RE3 deserved so much more than what it got, and we won't be seeing another attempt at it any other way. A Director's Cut wouldn't have fixed everything, but it would have been a start.

In an ideal world Capcom would "Lords of the Fallen" it and just make a new one in a few years, but that's never going to happen. They're headed straight for the "Wesker lives" timeline and nothing is stopping them.

Bonus rant:
Capcom never fucking lets us use the bonus characters in the main games. I want to go through the main campaign of 4R as Mercenaries characters and I would pay money to do so. I wanted to do it in OG 4, and I want to do it even more now. Just auto skip cutscenes and keep Leon's voice in, it's not a big deal. I want to parry-counter my way through the main game for fuck's sake.
There’s actually a mod that let’s you play as Ada in the RE4 main campaign. I don’t know about the others but I would assume so since Ada was only playable on Mercenaries before the DLC. The mod was available long before Separate Ways so I think there’s a high chance it’s possible for others assuming you can play it on your PC.

So, RE4 in both cases then? Gotcha.
You can currently mod that out in the main game. I don't even know if people will be assed to fix it in the DLC.

Unbelievable that anyone can come in to defend RE 3 remake or call it "the best remake in the franchise".
Get out.
Most Resident Evil games were great on their own and I still prefer the originals to the remakes. Resident Evil 3 Remake is the only case where it is undeniably superior. Nemesis sucked in the original and the way the game was stretched out with fetch quests going from one side of the city to the other was pure bullshit. They even salvaged its weak plot.

Sleepwalker

Bonus rant:
If on PC, there's a trainer for that

1479-1689348784-1964821698.png
1479-1690106011-1042247969.png

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Capcom just wanted the nostalgia and hype money. RE3 doesn't match up to RE2 or RE4 from the fans even though the original game is still top 3 best in the series.

brenobnfm

Capcom just wanted the nostalgia and hype money. RE3 doesn't match up to RE2 or RE4 from the fans even though the original game is still top 3 best in the series.

Your dumbass argument doesn't even make sense, yeah they wanted to milk nostalgia while doing the least faithful remake of them all.

killatopak

Resident Evil 3 Remake is the only case where it is undeniably superior. Nemesis sucked in the original and the way the game was stretched out with fetch quests going from one side of the city to the other was pure bullshit.
hAflWA2.gif

Not only is that wrong, it’s blatantly ignoring that the remake has the same fetch quest only it fucking sucks since there’s no replay value. No alternate encounters, no random item placements, no random enemy spawn, no live selection and not only are puzzles super fucking simple, there’s also less of them. Nemesis dies to a single grenade, ALL encounters are scripted and his voice and his NOSE sucks ass!

The only thing I would say the remake was better at was the dodge system, item and achievement store, various difficulties and bonus weapons.

OG RE has supremely better costumes and most importantly has MERCENARIES.

brenobnfm

hAflWA2.gif

there’s no replay value. No alternate encounters, no random item placements, no random enemy spawn, no live selection and not only are puzzles super fucking simple, there’s also less of them. Nemesis dies to a single grenade, ALL encounters are scripted

None of this corroborates with your point of it having no replay value. It has replay value because the pacing is stellar. The pacing is stellar because Nemesis is not a buffed version of Mr X., and Mr. X was already annoying. Having Nemesis stalking you all game would wreck the pace of the game. It's also a lie all encounters are scripted. Fans of the OG need to accept the game is not trying to be the OG with modern graphics and stop equating faithfulness with flaws, because it's not trying to be faithful, it's a different game with different goals.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Probably meant to be a DLC to 2 until some exec saw dollar signs and decided to make it a full $60 game.
I doubt that. Remember the first rumours saying it’s going to be more open. Perhaps they tried that, then realized it didn’t work and patched some parts of it together as the game we got.

Reactions: Isa

killatopak

None of this corroborates with your point of it having no replay value. It has replay value because the pacing is stellar. The pacing is stellar because Nemesis is not a buffed version of Mr X., and Mr. X was already annoying. Having Nemesis stalking you all game would wreck the pace of the game. It's also a lie all encounters are scripted. Fans of the OG need to accept the game is not trying to be the OG with modern graphics and stop equating faithfulness with flaws, because it's not trying to be faithful, it's a different game with different goals.
Yes it corroborates because you assume the original‘s pacing isn’t good which is just false. The difference is the original has MORE. Of course it would look terrible for Nemesis to chase you ALL game because remake’s map is tiny. The larger map of the original actually made you have a breather from Nemesis encounters. Oh but it is scripted. You will in fact encounter Nemesis the same number of times at the exact same location during the exact same situation. Original branching paths and larger maps actually allows you not only escape encounters but miss encounters entirely for that specific playthrough. Some even allow you to change the ending.

Maybe stop marketing it as a remake then. I can accept changes and I can even point out how much better the changes are. The problem is, most of them aren’t so might as well stay faithful if it isn’t even better. Pretty cool that RE1, RE2, and RE4 which mostly stayed faithful to their originals got better scores and better audience reception than RE3 that introduced so many changes that aren’t necessarily better.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Your dumbass argument doesn't even make sense, yeah they wanted to milk nostalgia while doing the least faithful remake of them all.
Game straight up lacks content. I'm not arguing with someone who actually likes things taken away from them and being casualized. You've got bad taste.

hAflWA2.gif

Not only is that wrong, it’s blatantly ignoring that the remake has the same fetch quest only it fucking sucks since there’s no replay value. No alternate encounters, no random item placements, no random enemy spawn, no live selection and not only are puzzles super fucking simple, there’s also less of them. Nemesis dies to a single grenade, ALL encounters are scripted and his voice and his NOSE sucks ass!

The only thing I would say the remake was better at was the dodge system, item and achievement store, various difficulties and bonus weapons.

OG RE has supremely better costumes and most importantly has MERCENARIES.
01458a6491d9102b6e731dd06039c084.gif

Quality over quantity and size. Even the original Nemesis face is only a download away...
https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil32020/mods/233

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Resident Evil 3 Remake is the only case where it is undeniably superior. Nemesis sucked in the original and the way the game was stretched out with fetch quests going from one side of the city to the other was pure bullshit. They even salvaged its weak plot.

Im Dead Season 2 GIF by Showtime

Cashon

Banned
My experience with the earlier years of Resident Evil series was basically Resident Evil 2 on N64 to Resident Evil Remake to Resident Evil Zero to Resident Evil 4, all on GameCube. So I have never had any attachment to Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

So, with that in mind, Resident Evil 3 remake is a great game. I can understand how fans are upset if they spent $60 on it or if some of their favorite moments from the original are missing, but I thoroughly enjoyed the remake.

It's not the best overall of the remakes, but it's absolutely the best-paced.

killatopak

01458a6491d9102b6e731dd06039c084.gif

Quality over quantity and size. Even the original Nemesis face is only a download away...
https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil32020/mods/233
Thanks for the link by the way. Nothing personal. The more people who enjoy RE games the happier I am. I just get heated sometimes since I just love RE.

I respect people who enjoyed the remake and recognize that people might enjoy it more as it functions as a tighter experience due to the linearity. I just don’t think the original sucks at pacing comparatively speaking. I mean I personally know the original can be finished even faster than the remake and that’s despite the larger setting considering the amount of times I’ve played both. Just look at the speed run records for both games.

One thing I can give you about RE3R pacing is that it’s actually a lot more accessible and easier to go through on the first couple of runs than the original. To put it in a perspective of a speedrunner, it’s a lot easier to optimize RE3R runs because there’s fewer random elements which breaks pacing.

I'm still waiting for those bargain basement $10 new copies of RE3R. This is a good price for the DLC, but I will probably still wait out the Gold edition unless RE4R drops to like $20 on BF the way Village did.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like RE3R and it doesn't make sense to me that someone can love RE2R and hate RE3R at the same time. They're basically the same game. So RE3R is shorter than RE2R, but by how much? 10%? 20%?
Tell me. I never finished RE3 remake. I do have it on pc and ps5 for some reason.
I love re2remake though. One of best games ever.
But re3 got so little hype, I kinda skipped it. Should I ?

Top Bottom