• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Separate Ways ($10) has almost the same amount of content that Resident Evil 3 Remake at launch did (retail $60)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is the thread where people who like to get ripped off gather.
Pretty much lol
That's good to you if you enjoy the Ada DLC, not my case for the base game (also annoying Ada ver.)...
But let people claiming RE3:R is bad because "no longer".. that's stupid... especially when the DLC using tons of assets of the base game and not outsourced by external studio.
Look it's fine to not like RE4R and prefer RE3R, that's perfectly valid but you have to understand that when you say that you don't like RE4R because it's "less arcade and nervous", that's precisely why RE7, RE2R, RE8 and RE4R reviewed better than RE3R, and I am not talking about length here.

Hell Separate Ways is 10 points ahead of RE3R on Metacritic. Because all those games that the fans really liked went back to pre RE5 times, where it was more about survival and horror than being a fast-paced 3D Contra. I won't even mention the content that might be missing. RE games where the focus is on a good story and survival horror, got a massive resurgence from RE7 and onwards and RE3R stands out as the turbo action one with next to no puzzles, where the main antagonist is now neutered and a very obvious lack of new areas where the few we get are sterile environments made out of RE2 textures....

At least Separate Ways has massive new areas with a lot of quality puzzles, a real emphasis on keeping track of your resources and added new bosses. All of that plus it stuck to what made all the other REmakes and new sequels so beloved and accepted....it's survival horror to the bone. Not a skin for a 3D Contra where Lucia wears a Jill skin.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

Execution was much better in RE3 along with polish. I refunded Separate Ways.

The dlc is 10/10

what the fuck man, now I'm confused

MtZ9N.gif

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
AKA their faithful approach would have been cutting out stuff out the wazoo.
Don't be willfully obtuse, it said to stick faithfully to the design of the original Resident Evil 4, there's no other way to interpret that; capcom wanted these re-imaginings, 3 was met with dumb backlash so M-Two wanted to course correct into doing the next one 1:1, capcom didn't agree, switched main development to division 1 and RE4 turned out to be another re-imagining.
RE3R is bad for many reasons. The game is far too short and lacking in content to justify it's $60 price tag.
A lot of there are just subjective things so, sure you are free to dislike the game on these points, but it's not matter-of-factly a bad game; the number of people that disagree in this thread alone makes that impossible.
It's far too short in length.
Disagree, it's the perfect video game length for me, even more so on subsequent playthroughs; Hi-Fi rush is my GOTY and it took me around the same amount of time to finish.
Extra modes are completely absent from the game. No Raid Mode, Mercenaries, or anything
I guess so? I did play a fair bit of RE:Resistance and enjoyed it.
Nemesis is such a downgrade from Mr. X. Hell he's even a downgrade from OG Nemesis from 20 years ago. They completely failed at making him terrifying.
No for me, Mr. X just became annoying at a certain point, especially on repeat playthroughs, he was never terrifying either.
The game lacks in tension in scares.
None of the games are scary to me, and really since RE2 the franchise has really dropped all pretense of survival since ammo becomes abundant.
It's badly paced. There's no build up to Nemesis. He just shows up within the first few minutes of the game.
I'd say the opposite and the pacing is perfect, it keeps moving ahead at all times.
So much of the areas and bosses from OG RE3 were absent.
It's really only the clock tower, nobody cares about that dumb grave digger boss.
Part of the appeal of RE3 was Jill surviving against zombies during the initial outbreak and within the city itself. Yet the Remake somehow managed to make the city feel so tight and small. The layout is just bad.
Maybe, I honestly don't see the need for any extra fluff, the city is doomed and is going to blow up, having her wander around regular zombies for a couple hours adds nothing.

RE3R has fans. It actually has fans. It’s so beyond my comprehension that anyone can be satisfied with what we got in RE3R. I’m not saying there’s nothing to like in that game, but it was SO obvious even in 2020 that we got a half assed, underbaked product. There was no excuse for that game to be $60 with the amount of content it offered. Jill got done so dirty.

Speaking of getting done dirty, Nemesis was terrible. You’d think after RE2R that Mr X would serve as a prototype for the crazy good stalker mechanic that was coming our way with RE3R and Nemesis. Instead it was such a fucking downgrade. He looked ridiculous with his stretched out head, the game immediately blew its load by revealing him in the first five minutes, and he was completely scripted.

Now we have Separate Ways which offers as much content as RE3R, plays better, gives more options for gunplay, and has just as much enemy variety, for $50 less. Fuck RE3R, that game deserves all the hate it gets.

Amen. Re3 was an example of a dev treating their fans like SHIT.

Madflavor

A lot of there are just subjective things so, sure you are free to dislike the game on these points, but it's not matter-of-factly a bad game; the number of people that disagree in this thread alone makes that impossible.

No and I don't agree with this line of logic either. Liking something =/= thinking it's good. You can like something but still see and understand why it's an inferior product.

Resident Evil 1&2 Remakes set the standard for Resident Evil Remakes, and Video Game remakes in general, for their high quality and faithfulness to the originals. So like 1&2, RE3R was supposed to be a Remake of RE3, and what we got was one of the shortest entries in the franchise, that lacks not only many areas from the Original, but also many of it's iconic moments and scenes that made RE3 memorable. On top of that it did things that went against what fans of Resident Evil have to know and love the series for. Exploration, tension, and a slow pace that gradually builds and grows more intense over time. The most commonly heard thing I've seen from people who actually like RE3R, is that they appreciate how short the game is, and how fast it moves along. Now I don't know if that's coming from a place of these people not having enough time to play games, or if they have short attention spans, but fine. But again, this is not in line with what fans of the series have come to love Resident Evil for. Resident Evil games, even the most highly regarded ones, are relatively short games to begin with.

So if you or anyone else here wanna look at RE3R which I remind you is a 4-5 hour game, lacks any extra modes that other entries have, cut a ton of areas from the original game, and changed many of the iconic moments and scenes from the Original, and not get why RE3R is viewed as a poor entry in the series, then I got nothing for you.

Disagree, it's the perfect video game length for me, even more so on subsequent playthroughs; Hi-Fi rush is my GOTY and it took me around the same amount of time to finish.

I guess so? I did play a fair bit of RE:Resistance and enjoyed it.

No for me, Mr. X just became annoying at a certain point, especially on repeat playthroughs, he was never terrifying either.

None of the games are scary to me, and really since RE2 the franchise has really dropped all pretense of survival since ammo becomes abundant.

I'd say the opposite and the pacing is perfect, it keeps moving ahead at all times.

It's really only the clock tower, nobody cares about that dumb grave digger boss.

Maybe, I honestly don't see the need for any extra fluff, the city is doomed and is going to blow up, having her wander around regular zombies for a couple hours adds nothing.

I can't change your mind on things that are just flat out your opinion, but there is one point here you do get flat out wrong:

List of areas from the Original that aren't in the Remake:

• Clocktower
  • Raccoon City Park
  • CIty Hall
  • Press Office
  • Graveyard
  • Dead Factory

Also funny how you lecture me in the beginning about subjectivity, and then drop "nobody cares about that dumb grave digger boss." Well it's one of the more commonly heard complaints in regards to cut content, so evidently a lot of people do.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
No and I don't agree with this line of logic either. Liking something =/= thinking it's good.
And the inverse is true as well, not liking something =/= thinking it's bad.
I can't change your mind on things that are just flat out your opinion
Likewise, as said, your list is subjective, none of them are facts.
List of areas from the Original that aren't in the Remake:
I knew you'd cherry pick on this, that's why I only mentioned clock tower; obviously I mentioned clock tower because it's fairly iconic, the park is good too, the rest can be taken or left; also park and cemetery is the same damn area, there's no need to list it but of course this happens every time to just artificially pad out the list of "things wrong with the remake!".
Also funny how you lecture me in the beginning about subjectivity, and then drop "nobody cares about that dumb grave digger boss."
That was the point.
Well it's one of the more commonly heard complaints in regards to cut content, so evidently a lot of people do.
yes, and also a lot of people don't, that's how subjectivity works

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They were also both made by the same developer, M-Two.
M-Two is still the RE Team
Peter Fabiano who was responsible for RE7 & RE8 was in charge of RE3.
he is no longer with Capcom and is now at Bungie (which makes sense)
This is why we got the 3rd Person & Shadow of Rose DLC
that wasn't the original plan and we was supposed to get another Call of Duty type LDC with Chris Redfeild which was scrapped.
I don't think Peter Fabiano really cared much for the old style RE or the Remakes.
He wanted to do his thing and was forced to work on RE3.
it's not surprising he phoned it in.
He had success with RE7 which he and many other thoughts setup the new direction for Resident Evil and RE22018 came alone and stole all its thunder.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
RE3R was ultimately a $60 DLC Addon for RE2R. They treated RE3R poorly. If you compared and contrasted RE2R and RE3R, RE3R kinda plays out like RE2 and RE2R plays out like RE3. Mr.X felt like Nemesis and Nemesis felt like the Scripted version of Mr.X.

Would have been better if RE2R had 4 Campaigns overall with Leon, Claire, Ada, Jill.

But eh. Like I said in another thread Separate Ways feels like an apology.

Soodanim

Gold Member
park and cemetery is the same damn area, there's no need to list it but of course this happens every time to just artificially pad out the list of "things wrong with the remake!".
I'm willing to bet that was an honest mistake. The list of faults with 3R is already long enough, I don't think mad was trying to be sneaky in the hope the you would consider his list of areas more legitimate if it was one longer.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is one of those topics that makes me think that I live in some weird dimensional bubble where everything outside of it is different from what I'm experiencing. Because every time I do a regular play through of RE3, it usually takes me around 8-9 hours which I would consider pretty normal for this type of game. But then everyone else on the internet is trying to one-up each other with their wild stories about how they were able to beat it in 30 seconds and that the game is poo poo, because I guess the bandwagon in this case is doing an extended tour and everyone still wants in on it.

I fully expect to finish Separate Ways in no more than 4-5 hours once I finally get around to it, and I bet 50 bucks that it's gonna be way shorter than RE3.

Everyone is so obsessed with "content" these days, no wonder we keep getting video games that take 500 hours to complete.

Not played the DLC yet but I really enjoyed RE3 Remake. I did only pay £5 for it though and probably would have been a bit annoyed if I’d paid full retail price for it.

Madflavor

RE3R was ultimately a $60 DLC Addon for RE2R. They treated RE3R poorly. If you compared and contrasted RE2R and RE3R, RE3R kinda plays out like RE2 and RE2R plays out like RE3. Mr.X felt like Nemesis and Nemesis felt like the Scripted version of Mr.X.

Would have been better if RE2R had 4 Campaigns overall with Leon, Claire, Ada, Jill.

But eh. Like I said in another thread Separate Ways feels like an apology.

I 100% subscribe to the theory that RE3R started out as a DLC for RE2R, but then got repackaged as a full game.

Agreed that SW does feel like an apology for that, but it's still a shame we got a shitty attempt at a remake of RE3. If I marathon these remakes, RE3R feels like the black sheep that I'll skip every time. I was lukewarm on it on release, but I replayed it last year, and man it does not hold up.

RE3R detractors are so obsessed with the cut content that they can't recognize that the game is still well made in its own right.

Is it disappointing that content was cut? For some of the cuts, yes. The clock tower segment is probably the most egregious one that I wished would've made it into the remake for its plot significance. Not even going to defend that one. Other cuts, however, I can live with.

The park / graveyard for example (it's really the same section, and a small one at that). I don't know why people split these into two when making their cut content lists - maybe to pad the list out and make the cut appear worse than it really is, I don't know. Lots of backtracking here and has one of the lamest boss fights in the series, Grave Digger. I can't say I missed that section aside from the visual variety of the location.

The police station excursion as Carlos was more or less the same scenario in both the original and the remake. The other Carlos section, the hospital, was actually made substantially bigger in the remake. In the original it's a brief 20 minute or so detour to get the vaccine while the remake is more padded out. Just compare the sizes of the maps:

F163iwQ.png

GcqQbmK.png

Dead Factory in the original is basically swapped for NEST 2 in the remake. Some memos you find in both the original and remake confirm both had the same usage as a disposal facility for BOWs:

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Employee_Memo

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Disposal_Center

I did think that both of these sections, in their respective games, were a little lacking. NEST 2 in RE3R also re-used a lot of assets from RE2 Remake (a plus point for consistency but I did roll my eyes). NEST 2, as a setting, in some ways felt more appropriate than Dead Factory though, as the way it connected with the hospital drove home the point that Umbrella were in such control of Raccoon City that they could use the local hospital as a front for their experiments.

Finally a word has to be said about the size the Raccoon city sections in both games. Nostalgia is a powerful thing and people believing that the original RE3 had a far larger scale are mistaken. It's a testament to how well Capcom were able to make the scale seem huge back on the PS1. But in terms of actual playable area, they are pretty similar:

k07af3i.jpg

Indeed, the length of both games is also not as drastic as people would have you believe - averaging around a 45 minute difference between them on How Long To Beat, which would align pretty well with the play time of the original's content that was objectively cut.

Overall you can compare the games like so:

RE3 Nemesis: City -> RPD -> Clock tower -> Hospital -> Park -> Dead Factory
RE3 Remake: City -> RPD -> Hospital* -> NEST 2

*where the hospital in RE3R is expanded a lot to fill in for the Clock tower and Park sections, and Dead Factory is swapped out for NEST 2. It's not nearly as wild a detour when viewed in that context.
Couldn't say it any better, thank you. I prefer the original and I wish they kept everything for a true remake along the lines of 2 remake and 1 remake but it's still very enjoyable to play thanks to it's pace and controls. It's been like 3 years, I'm over it and I think RE fans should too, appreciate the good things about it, don't let the bad overshadow it, we will always have the original.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ok, I have now seen the light. If I am wrong I will always admit it. And wrong I was. The RE3R fans have won this.

The verdict has fallen on Howlongtobeat.

RE3R: 6 Hours to complete. 7.5 hours to complete with side quests

Separate Ways: 5 Hours hours to complete and a mere 7 hours to complete with side quests

This difference is staggering. Damn I was so wrong. RE3R clearly has more to offer for 60$ than Separate Ways at 10$ Damn Capcom needs to add that half-hour of more gameplay for 50$ so us Separate Ways fans finally get value for our money.

Once again, I apologize.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It’s crazy how much better this $10 DLC is than RE3R and Village 😂

Fully expecting another misstep with RE5R though.
I don't think they had any RE misfires since RE7. Even RE3R was damn good for what it was and I loved Village.

This new approach to RE, might make RE5R into a much better and more fitting RE title than the OG.

I imagine that Luis as an AI partner that was actively helpful might have been a test run for a future Chris or Sheva AI in the pretty much inevitable RE5R.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I imagine that Luis as an AI partner that was actively helpful might have been a test run for a future Chris or Sheva AI in the pretty much inevitable RE5R.

Now see, I despise 5 like peeps here have a hatred hard on for 3R.

And the primary reasons were the partner and the horrendous inventory or lack of inventory management. It's just a terrible RE game to me.

God knows how they'll approach 5R with the setting and Ray Cizzum, but I hope they scrap the partner mechanic and maybe do a Separate Ways equivalent for Sheva (Pie in the sky, probable bullshit idea, I know)

Also, give Chris a damn briefcase.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
RE3R clearly has more to offer for 60$ than Separate Ways at 10$ Damn Capcom needs to add that half-hour of more gameplay for 50$ so us Separate Ways fans finally get value for our money.
Don't be silly, there's barely any content in separate ways that's new, 99% of it already existed and you can't play it by itself.

no thanks, the real-time inventory was perfect for instant reloading while in a melee animation, I don't think I ever manually reloaded ever again after my first playthrough.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Now see, I despise 5 like peeps here have a hatred hard on for 3R.

And the primary reasons were the partner and the horrendous inventory or lack of inventory management. It's just a terrible RE game to me.

God knows how they'll approach 5R with the setting and Ray Cizzum, but I hope they scrap the partner mechanic and maybe do a Separate Ways equivalent for Sheva (Pie in the sky, probable bullshit idea, I know)

I quite like RE5 personally. It was a big downgrade from 4, but it was a fun action paced romp that I will compare to being a 3D Contra. But I don't think they'll abandon the co-op aspect since most fans loved that, even those who hated playing with an AI partner. I fully believe that AI Chris and AI Sheva will be much better this time.

Of course I expect inventory Tetris to be present here too. Hell at the games in the series since 7 have inventory Tetris. That shit is so fun that someone made a whole game out of it hahaha.

Racism? I can think of only one place that will scream RACIZZZZZMMMMM, and that's from all the REEEEEEEEEEtards over at ResetEra. I legit cannot fathom why would anyone willingly post on there. They run that place like fascists. The lore is that the Progenitor Virus came from Africa. Hell RE4R already showed the Underground Garden from 5 where it comes from. Wesker has a pic of Excella Gionne on his screen. Separate Ways ends with Wesker saying that he's ready to start his plan with a remix of Wings of Madness playing. Of course RE5 is the next remake!

But that will take a while since I am near certain that RE9 is next.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Don't be silly, there's barely any content in separate ways that's new, 99% of it already existed and you can't play it by itself.
My dude two chapters out of 7 are made out of almost entirely new areas (Chapter 4 and 5). Come on.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
My dude two chapters out of 7 are made out of almost entirely new areas (Chapter 4 and 5). Come on.
How? Chapter 4 is literally just castle assets repurposed and chapter 5 is just dungeon, ruins and caves assets, the only new thing in chapter 5 is the trash grave digger jr model.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Racism? I can think of only one place that will scream RACIZZZZZMMMMM, and that's from all the REEEEEEEEEEtards over at ResetEra. I legit cannot fathom why would anyone willingly post on there. They run that place like fascists. The lore is that the Progenitor Virus came from Africa. Hell RE4R already showed the Underground Garden from 5 where it comes from. Wesker has a pic of Excella Gionne on his screen. Separate Ways ends with Wesker saying that he's ready to start his plan with a remix of Wings of Madness playing. Of course RE5 is the next remake!
Hey I dont agree with it at all, but you remember the stink it caused back in the day right? If they retain the same setting and enemies I dont see why it wouldnt just be history repeating but 10x more intense/worse thanks to the strength of social media nowadays compared to 2008.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
How? Chapter 4 is literally just castle assets repurposed and chapter 5 is just dungeon, ruins and caves assets, the only new thing in chapter 5 is the trash grave digger jr model.
You are right, I totally forgot about the Gold Bottle puzzle section with the Armaduras, the whole sequence with the gates and huge drill coming at you and solving a unique puzzle in a collection room in the remake. And of course the brand new Gregorio's Waterway, which is straight up a whole new area is just repurposed assets...Right...right.

Of all the RE3R megafans in this thread, you are the only one that keeps on being disingenuous and refuses to actually discuss and engage and instead just drop flat out lies and exaggerations to prove your points, you know are empty. To the Ignore list you go.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Of all the RE3R megafans in this thread, you are the only one that keeps on being disingenuous and refuses to actually discuss and engage and instead just drop flat out lies and exaggerations to prove your points, you know are empty.

There’s a reason I replied to him once and paid him no mind afterward.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hey I dont agree with it at all, but you remember the stink it caused back in the day right? If they retain the same setting and enemies I dont see why it wouldnt just be history repeating but 10x more intense/worse thanks to the strength of social media nowadays compared to 2008.
Well if they really contextualize it in the story by perhaps adding the importance of Africa in the lore, it will surely help newer fans to get over that hump. And yeah I would really remove the Tribal Majinis, now that will be a dizzy if it remains there. They can keep the swamp but introduce a new enemy type perhaps?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Well if they really contextualize it in the story by perhaps adding the importance of Africa in the lore, it will surely help newer fans to get over that hump. And yeah I would really remove the Tribal Majinis, now that will be a dizzy if it remains there. They can keep the swamp but introduce a new enemy type perhaps?

I think this is pretty much the only solution. Hell, revamp all of the enemies in it. Keep the setting obviously.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All I want from RE5Remake is NOT to be co-op focus game, I dont play co-op and playing with AI in RE5 was fucking horrible, especially in higher difficulty.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
All I want from RE5Remake is NOT to be co-op focus game, I dont play co-op and I playing with AI in RE5 was fucking horrible, especially in higher difficulty.
It's the core heart of the gameplay. I highly doubt they won't do it. Hell they even made 3 shitty multiplayer REs in the last few years.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's the core heart of the gameplay. I highly doubt they won't do it. Hell they even made 3 shitty multiplayer REs in the last few years.
If thats the case then I have no interest in RE5R. It was pain in the ass dealing with Sheva dumb ass AI, I have no patience for it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I honestly would pay extra for a Director Cut of RE3 Remake
Release it but have an Upgrade you can buy for the existing version, something like this DLC price.
Now I know people are gonna say "why should I pay more when the original was $60 and unfinished"
But I said it then and I'll say it again, don't know where you got your copy but I got mine physical at launch for £31.
Far as I'm concerned and my wallet, it was a budget release.
You paid more or bought it digitally then that's on you

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I think I'm gonna wait until I can afford PSVR2, then hopefully play through this DLC in VR.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You are right, I totally forgot about the Gold Bottle puzzle section with the Armaduras, the whole sequence with the gates and huge drill coming at you and solving a unique puzzle in a collection room in the remake. And of course the brand new Gregorio's Waterway, which is straight up a whole new area is just repurposed assets...Right...right.
Do you not know what assets mean? Are you saying the modeling, textures, materials in that bottle puzzle room didn't exist? Where did the invested armours and the animal switches and gates come from in the area with the drill? All of that shit existed already in the base game, that's what re-purposed means; it's no different from creating maps in lets say Forge in Halo, it's literally working with things that already exist and all of it is engineered to be modular, all the damn walls, floors and other surfaces are in little parts so you don't have to create whole new rooms from scratch; oh wow an artist made a silver bottle, oh wow an artist made a gold bottle, oh wow same artist also made a big drill, CONTENT!

Nah bruv, making small new bits and pieces while literally reusing everything else isn't comparable to all the actual new shit they had to make to create RE3, they didn't even have to create models for Ada and Wesker, but yeah go ahead and keep making this insane disingenuous comparison.

Apocryphon

It goes a long way that it's built off of a much better game than either of the two.
This is true.

I think they did a brilliant job of reinvigorating the franchise with RE7. It felt far closer to the original game than anything else, taking place in a much more confined location with a heavy emphasis on puzzles. The storytelling was great and it has high production value.

Village on the other hand felt like a step back. Worse storytelling, less interesting locations, basically zero horror, shitty puzzles, and boring enemies. The castle was the highlight but that was over in about an hour. The rest of the game was incredibly disappointing and I wish I’d waited to buy it in a deep sale instead of paying full price at launch. The DLC was also a massive low point for me.

RE3R *should* have been brilliant. The original game was amazing but they cut so much content and moved too far away from RE2R that I think it deserved all the shit it got.

On the other hand, RE2R and RE4R were so finely crafted that they represent the series at its very best. But given that I never considered RE5 to be top tier, ranking barely above RE6 in my estimation, and how 2 of the 5 mainline games released since RE7 have been so underwhelming, I’m cautiously optimistic for what comes next. Just because RE4R and Separate Ways have been excellent, it doesn’t mean that whatever comes next will be equally good.

I kinda wish they were doing Code Veronica next. Hell, I’d take a first person RE7-esque renake of the first game (maybe combined with Zero) over RE5R. Hopefully if it’s RE5 they rework large parts of it.

Madflavor

All I want from RE5Remake is NOT to be co-op focus game, I dont play co-op and playing with AI in RE5 was fucking horrible, especially in higher difficulty.

Imagine if they actually did an RE5 Remake and decided to base it off of their earlier concept for RE5. Would be an insane move if they did that, that would catch a lot of attention. Doubt they will.

They're in an interesting position here though. They remade RE1 thru RE4. All their original counterparts are highly regarded entries in the series. RE5 on the other handed was polarizing. So this is the first time they're remaking a flawed entry in the series, and have the opportunity to make a much superior game.

I’ll flat out say that none of the Remakes are great at all - at least, none of them are better than their original counterparts - and we’re talking about the recent remakes not the god-tier RE1R. RE2R is the best out of the bunch, but it too, as many like to give RE3R a lot of shit for, suffers from cut content (an entire scenario, mind you); everything after the police department felt half-assed in terms of design (Sherry and Ada parts especially), and the gameplay, aiming and bullet-sponge zombies, were a massive turn off. Both RE2R and RE4R have horrendous soundtracks that completely suck the soul and charm of the originals - especially RE2. It’s not surprising that Capcom made the original soundtracks available as DLC.

That being said, ironically, I don’t hate RE3R as much as most. It’s easily the best of the remakes in terms of gun play (aiming feels much smoother and precise and no bullet sponge zombies). The soundtrack is easily the best and the only one that even tries to emulate the charm of the original soundtracks. While the cut content is egregious and criticism understandable, I liked the game for what it was: a short fun romp that could be beaten in an afternoon. People forget that OG RE2 and 3 are extremely short (by todays standards, at least) and could easily be beaten in under 2:30 hours. They are still to this day perfectly crafted and paced video games - as well as OG RE4.

I have zero intention of getting Separate Ways; if I remember correctly the original reuses many of the same assets and locations of the base game - with the exception of a few new areas. I thought the Remake of 4 was a good game overall, but grossly overrated.

Top Bottom