• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Separate Ways ($10) has almost the same amount of content that Resident Evil 3 Remake at launch did (retail $60)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Imagine if they actually did an RE5 Remake and decided to base it off of their earlier concept for RE5. Would be an insane move if they did that, that would catch a lot of attention. Doubt they will.

They're in an interesting position here though. They remade RE1 thru RE4. All their original counterparts are highly regarded entries in the series. RE5 on the other handed was polarizing. So this is the first time they're remaking a flawed entry in the series, and have the opportunity to make a much superior game.
I'd prefer if they retell RE5 and have it end differently. They altered sequences in RE4 so it wouldn't surprise me if they alter things in RE5.

Madflavor

I'd prefer if they retell RE5 and have it end differently. They altered sequences in RE4 so it wouldn't surprise me if they alter things in RE5.
I'm setting my expectations accordingly and I'm sure they'll do just that. The most fun I've ever had with RE5 was playing Co-Op with my brother. In that regard the game was a 10/10. But my mind does wander into the "What could've been?" territory. The Partner system naturally steered the series further into Action territory, and much of the horror and tension that earlier entries had was absent in RE5. The tone of the game's first trailer sold us on a different vibe:

Apocryphon

Imagine if they actually did an RE5 Remake and decided to base it off of their earlier concept for RE5. Would be an insane move if they did that, that would catch a lot of attention. Doubt they will.

They're in an interesting position here though. They remade RE1 thru RE4. All their original counterparts are highly regarded entries in the series. RE5 on the other handed was polarizing. So this is the first time they're remaking a flawed entry in the series, and have the opportunity to make a much superior game.

Looking over some of the early concept stuff and cut content, I feel like they could rework it to something that strongly resembles RE5 in terms of tone and general story beats, but bring in content and make changes that would improve the experience.

Maybe instead of having a partner with you, Sheva only shows up in cutscenes, Jill gets her own fully fleshed out Desperate Escape DLC that’s a similar length to Separate Ways instead of only being like 90 minutes long, and we play through the main RE5R campaign as Chris solo.

Bring back the merchant as was originally planned. Rework a bunch of locations, build a bunch of new puzzles, and bin all of the turret sections.

Start the game using reworked Lost in Nightmares content at the Spencer Mansion, and bin most of the awful tribal stuff. Extend the cargo ship chapter, and swap the volcano nonsense for a full on NEST-like Tricell facility.

Less hench Chris too. That never sat well with me 😂

I don’t know how they’re going to make it as cool as RE4R though. It’s so tonally different. I’m kinda hoping they actually remake 5 and 6 from the ground up as completely different experiences. I hated both games…

consoul

Capcom put out RE3R and some people complained about its length and lack of content.

Capcom later put out a great value DLC add-on for a different game. Some people still complained.

Osaka_Boss

Resident Evil 3 Remake was an unofficial RE2:R DLC. That explains a lot the lenght and lack of Care. Absolutely disgusting act by Capcom. M-2 id not at fault

Last edited:

killatopak

I sure hope if they remake RE5, they would retain a proper inventory system. At least make it similar to 4.

That simple thing escalated in making RE more action based as it wasn’t about surviving anymore and focused a lot on moment to moment action. It started manifesting at 4 with key items taking on a separate inventory. Like every succeeding inventory managed to dumb itself down to just weapon slots in the end.

Like there’s so many design decisions and player behavior can be tracked down to inventory such as the removal of the item box.

RE3R is a decent game, it's a bad remake. Capcom did RE3 dirty.
I didn't play the original RE3, so I have a different perspective. It makes sense that people who played it complain though. The game is definitely short and the levels seem to have been remixed a lot, while RE fans tend to be very sensitive to even the smallest changes.

Neff

That simple thing escalated in making RE more action based as it wasn’t about surviving anymore and focused a lot on moment to moment action.

They had to heavily tone down the adventure elements- exploration, puzzle solving, item management etc. The co-op aspect mandated that player decisions be reduced so both players can share goals and responsibility equally, which in RE5's case was basically 'kill everything and/or go to the next room', and the game's design reflects that with zero backtracking or detours, except for that one swamp area.

I'd be fine with a co-op-free RE5 just so we could potentially get the true RE4 sequel initially promised back in the day. That said, I doubt they'd go for it because co-op was RE5's defining feature and it was one of the most popular co-op games for its time and well after.

killatopak

I'd be fine with a co-op-free RE5 just so we could potentially get the true RE4 sequel initially promised back in the day. That said, I doubt they'd go for it because co-op was RE5's defining feature and it was one of the most popular co-op games for its time and well after.
Co-op isn’t necessarily bad or good. RE5’s was great if it wasn’t called RE5. For example, I’m completely fine with RE Outbreak coop. That’s more in line with what I find RE to be. That coop doesn’t necessarily mean kill everything or go to the next room.

After playing Separate Ways, I can easily see myself enjoying Sheva having her own separate campaign for herself and occasionally help Chris until the final confrontation with Wesker.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I am playing the DLC right now. The environments are literally same with enemies changed here and there. Some bosses are new.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Just finished Separate Ways. What a good snack of a game. Ada's grapple movement is slick, and while I would've liked more original areas, they re-used the existing ones in ways to make them feel original.

Also good to spend more time with homeboy Luis.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished Separate Ways. What a good snack of a game. Ada's grapple movement is slick, and while I would've liked more original areas, they re-used the existing ones in ways to make them feel original.

Also good to spend more time with homeboy Luis.

Ada x Luis best RE pair.

Unknown-2023_09_21-09_18_31.png

Finally got around to playing Resident Evil 3 Remake on Nightmare difficulty (with unlockable rewards) and it has the remixed enemy placement and item placement some were bitching about in this thread. That final boss is also made quite the challenge. It made me feel like I was playing Dark Souls at times as sometimes if you do not dodge its attacks you get stunned into oblivion and its game over. That is even with both Defense Coins and an inventory full of First Aid Sprays. Makes me a bit hesitant to tackle Inferno difficulty even with the newly unlocked Infinite Rocket Launcher.

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finally got around to playing Resident Evil 3 Remake on Nightmare difficulty (with unlockable rewards) and it has the remixed enemy placement and item placement some were bitching about in this thread. That final boss is also made quite the challenge. It made me feel like I was playing Dark Souls at times as sometimes if you do not dodge its attacks you get stunned into oblivion and its game over. That is even with both Defense Coins and an inventory full of First Aid Sprays. Makes me a bit hesitant to tackle Inferno difficulty even with the newly unlocked Infinite Rocket Launcher.

The final boss on Inferno is absolute bullshit even with the defense and evasion coins. Hell, I think the boss is impossible without them.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

That zombie that spawns before you meet Dario in the first five minutes of the game is probably the hardest thing to deal with lol.

Beechos

Best $10 spent in a long time I think im almost finished with it. The voice actor for ada is abosolutlely horrible though no range or emotion in any of her lines.

Eiknarf

Banned
Best $10 spent in a long time I think im almost finished with it. The voice actor for ada is abosolutlely horrible though no range or emotion in any of her lines.
But finally, a game where the Protagonist in a game (Ada) isnt ugly. I forgot what that's like. It's been a while.
This DLC is FUN!

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have a better time playing RE3 remake over RE2. RE2 is fantastic the first playthrough, however Mr. X ruins it on replays. I cannot stand Mr. X and glad they didn't do that again for 3.
I don't know about that, personally. I think it's quite easy to barely ever see X in the RPD if you know what you're doing, and that one of 3's shortcomings was failing to have Nemesis be a persistent threat like he's actually famous for being in the original. I think 2 is partly to blame for that for stealing some of his thunder, but I think it's more down to the entire design of 3R that made Nemesis ineffectual.

I suppose if you're not a fan of it in general then the idea of a more faithful 3R wouldn't ever be your cup of tea, but 3 Nemesis wasn't constantly around and that never had to be the case in 3R. Off the top of my head, if they brought back Live Selection choices then they could easily have been used as fight or flight choices in at least some encounters.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it, 3R has a decent amount of good in it.

tommib

I have a better time playing RE3 remake over RE2. RE2 is fantastic the first playthrough, however Mr. X ruins it on replays. I cannot stand Mr. X and glad they didn't do that again for 3.
I played RE3 remake 5 times in a row. Much better pacing that RE2. No fat. All fun.

Separate ways has nothing on RE3 Remake and was pointless. Same levels from RE4 with terrible boss fights.

Famipan

RE4 DLC seems like a lot of bang for the bucks compared to RE8 DLC.

I knew RE3 would be short so I waited until it was very cheap, as many suggested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom