• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

i mean not really, the only big competition is Hogwarts and if you're stretching maybe Hi-Fi Rush

This just easily eliminated both of those.

Zelda can very easily be another straight 10’s game, 95+ Meta. FFXVI looks like it’s barreling towards a 90+ based on previews. Maybe Starfield if it comes together, we still haven’t seen anything of Spider-Man 2 which I think will be very impressive. Long ways to go.

Ferdimage

Played the demo on PC, loved the new controls and knife play.
I just bought Dead Space 2023 today as the reviews were pretty high on this too.
Hopefully I can finish the game before RE4 releases

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hell yeah. I still remember my time with this on GC when it launched. It was a one of a kind experience. I had the demo and making of DVD.

I don’t want to spoil myself. Months ago they said game length was about on par with the original. I’m curious if that’s still the case. I’m also curious if the full version has good performance on Steam Deck?

sedg87

Banned
The original Resident Evil 4 is the only game I've ever imported; I was so hyped for it and I think the remake is around similar levels.

So the blurry image and the awful controls have been fixed? Thought not. I found the Series X version almost unplayable. These reviews must be based on the PC version. I have low standards and it was too sluggish for me. Never been so confused by reviews before.

Rykan

Once more for the people in the back: Action Resident Evil is best Resident Evil. Stop trying to make games for livestreamers and embrace it.

Remake Resident Evil 5 next. Perfect opportunity to correct the wrongs in that title and bring it up to par with this one.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Shame reviews went live in the middle of the night, wanted to make a review thread.

Anyways, fantastic review scores cant wait to play

SCB3

This is type of game that I dont need ANY reviews to tell me if this game its worth it or not, I already know it is.
Exactly, this was a must buy for me since it was hinted at, legit one of my favourite ever games and 1 I think I own at least 14 times at this point, the Wii Version is still my favourite version, but the demo alone was so fucking good, waiting for PS5 pre-load now

Eiknarf

Don't believe it until I play it.
My only problem with the demo was when all the townspeople were surrounding me I couldn’t properly punch my way out. I wanna be able to punch (or slash better) with the knife AND shoot the weapon. It frustrates me cuz it feels clunky

Fools idol

Banned
Whhhhat?? Did the power outage hurt your console/computer??!
nah, I just live in a very remote forest... connection goes down regularly due to falling trees etc. We had a storm, so the power was out and now I'm in the city for some client meetings.

Eiknarf

I always knew these devs would deliver nothing but solid gold. Remake 4 will remind people how good survival horror games can be. Washing away that dirty dead space remake aftertaste.
Wait
Dead Space Remake is great for what it does, ya don’t think?

MiguelItUp

What I figured and hoped for! Cannot wait!

I always knew these devs would deliver nothing but solid gold. Remake 4 will remind people how good survival horror games can be. Washing away that dirty dead space remake aftertaste.
I mean, that remake was great as well, so I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Didn’t play that yet. Thought it was well received apart of some woke trash here and there?
It's a very solid and true to the OG remake. The "woke" knee jerk was a gigantic over reaction regarding a single line of dialogue and same sex bathrooms being present, lmao. It was ridiculous.

Last edited:
Wait
Dead Space Remake is great for what it does, ya don’t think?
I just beat it three times in a row and think it's the best remake after RE1 Remake. Opinions, buttholes, all that. That game expanded on every good idea the original had and nailed it imo, pure gold Jerry. Going into the RE4R demo I expected controls similar to that, too bad Leon will apparently always control like a drunk sack of potatoes doused in glue.

Still buying this Day 1 though because it's fucking Resi 4 baby :messenger_sunglasses:

Eiknarf

I see Capcom has confidence

Letting reviews be public a week before release!

Screw those garbage developers who put embargos on reviews for their product until the night before. Knock that shit off, dunces. That’s literally a form of attempted manipulation!!

“DonT lEt eM knOw hOw bAd iT iS!! GotTa geT eM tO preOrdeR sO tHey dOnt bAck oUt”

Cut that shit out and just make better games

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Interesting reviews. Also looks like OPENCRITIC is doing that stupid thing were they aren't letting a REMAKE into the "Hall of Fame." Maybe they just haven't updated the list.

. . .but yeah, surprising reviews and perhaps I'll have to actually get this sooner than I thought (never played the original). RE2R was one of the best RE games I've ever played (way better than the reboot that revitalized the franchise - that one fucking blew). I didn't play much of the demo (only enough to get a sense of performance): is this one just as puzzlely as RE2R? As much as I like shooting newbs, the survival horror puzzling is what I'm interested in when it comes to these games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
is this one just as puzzlely as RE2R? As much as I like shooting newbs, the survival horror puzzling is what I'm interested in when it comes to these games.
Demo doesn't have any of that sadly. the game's less linear than the original from my experience, but it's still not as open as RE2R. you're in it for the shooting action really

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Are these reviews seriously all only the PC version?

If so, given the PS5 issues we all have noted from playing the demo, i'm not ready to jump in day one for sure yet.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
MH2NG.png
This man gets it, give him a new RE to work on

SaintALia

Yeah, there was no doubt in my that this wouldn't be a critical darling. It looks a bit too dingy and takes itself too seriously for my tastes. Seems to be more inline with other RE games, but that's not why I loved the game. But those criticism could fly straight out the window when I start playing.

Finished it about 6-8 times on GC, I didn't like the port on PC, but I'm still looking to playing it this time on PC.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Some people are saying the shipping container boss is cut, but idk if its been confirmed. They’ll probably just add it for Seperate Ways if its not in the main game. I think Mercenaries is being added post-launch too.

No great loss if so. Not a great part of the game, imo.

TonyK

Nope, according to John from DF in review code only missing RT effects on PS5 were fixed, poor controls on XSX and poor TAA/reconstruction on PS5 were not.
But there is a day one patch coming where they promised they would fix the rain at least.
So the impression is that the game needed a bit more time to be polished (but March is the end of the fiscal year for Capcom..).

Btw great scores, I had the game already preordered weeks ago.
Ohhh, I was hoping it was solved. Then I will wait to decide. I have both consoles but I needed at least one version fixed to buy the game day one.

Umbasaborne

Banned
The demo on pc looks and feels amazing. Considered getting on ps5 for dual sense features, but dont want to sacrafice the high quality assets, non variable res, and 100 plus fps

Top Bottom