• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Every time i read someone enjoying the combat on this game i have the doubt that i'm playing a completely different game tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Are you upgrading your weapons? Buying new variants of the pistol and shotgun? They get really OP 1/3rd of the way in.

I love the sniper rifle and used it a lot. Magnum is OP against bosses. I pretty much exclusively used Magnum for the bosses, and the shotgun for the mini bosses. It's basically the same combat as RE2MAKE, but here the enemies arent brain dead zombies. Dont forget to take out their legs. Every fight feels like a puzzle which is really great.

GymWolf

Controls were really feeling clunky-ish in the beginning for me, and i honestly dk if i just got used to it or the upgrades helped, but it felt better as the game went on
Sure compared to the first hour the situation improved a bit with the combat, but in my case it' like an improvement from liquid shit to solid shit, but still shit in the end.

GymWolf

Are you upgrading your weapons? Buying new variants of the pistol and shotgun? They get really OP 1/3rd of the way in.

I love the sniper rifle and used it a lot. Magnum is OP against bosses. I pretty much exclusively used Magnum for the bosses, and the shotgun for the mini bosses. It's basically the same combat as RE2MAKE, but here the enemies arent brain dead zombies. Dont forget to take out their legs. Every fight feels like a puzzle which is really great.
I do all of these things, it's not my first rodeo with a RE game, but the act of shooting stuff is still horrible to me, from aim, to movement to melee to enemy reactions to dead animations, absence of ragdoll etc.

I'm not talking about how cool or effective are the weapons, just the general combat feeling.

It's even worse after playing a game with great combat like returnal.

It is strange because usually we have similar taste you and me.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, imagine me, thinking you're a clown coming in here judging the game after 1/5 of it (especially having finished and knowing how it makes u sound even dumber) and thinking you're a clown writing paragraphs in defense of it. So crazy of me
People are trying to discuss the game without your flyby insults
No one said you was crazy, just said you was prick as evident by you jumping on anybody with insults that said anything about your precious game or their opinions don't match yours, get over yourself.
no matter whether you're right or wrong, you're still a twat, and that's not gonna change, so..
tenor.gif

It's all retconned and just adds to the overall confusion but it's nice that they did it at all.
It's not really a retcon though, It's just filling in information that didn't exist before, RE4/5 did it too.
Timeline of BOW research:
Progenitor flowers get discovered in africa (RE5)
Miranda discovers the megamycete and experiments with it (RE8)
Miranda becomes the village "deity" (RE8)
Spencer meets miranda and he becomes her temporary student (RE8)
Spencer recalls the discovery of the progenitor flowers, finds and experiments with them (RE5/1)
T-phobos is under development (RErev2)
veronica strain gets discovered in ants (RECV)
Spencer develops two progenitor strains and tests on people (RE1)
T-veronica is developed and experimented on people (RECV)
Marcus develops t-virus proto, Albert W steals his research and alters it to the final version of the t-virus (RE1)
One of the two progenitor strains mutates and research on it becomes the g-virus (RE1)
Carla combines t-veronica with progenitor and creates t-2 (RE6)
Carla combines t-2 with the g-virus and creates the c-virus (RE6)
The plaga shows up in spain, seems to be connected to the area where the progenitor flowers were discovered (RE4/5)
T-abyss virus is developed (RErev)
Albert W steals the plaga samples (RE4)
Albert W starts working on uroboros, uses jill's t-virus antibodies to make it stable(RE5)
Albert W experiments in west africa with plaga (RE5)
Alex W finishes t-phobos (RErev2)
The connections contact miranda and develop BOW "eveline" with her from megamycete research (RE7/8)
Alex W modifies uroboros (RErev2)
Carla causes C-virus outbreak (RE6)
BOW eveline causes the baker incident (RE7)
Ethan dies and is reborn through megamycete (RE7/8)
"BOW" Rosemary is born (RE8)
BSAA conducts research into, develops BOW soldiers(heel turn? live long enough to become the villain etc.) (RE8)

That's from memory so I might've missed some, but they afaik they never removed any part of the history, just added to it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's not really a retcon though, It's just filling in information that didn't exist before, RE4/5 did it too.
Spencer recalls the discovery of the progenitor flowers, finds and experiments with them (RE5/1)
T-phobos is under development (RErev)
Marcus develops t-virus proto, Albert W steals his research and alters it to the final version of the t-virus (RE1)
One of the two progenitor strains mutates and research on it becomes the g-virus (RE1)
The plaga shows up in spain, seems to be connected to the area where the progenitor flowers were discovered (RE4/5)
Albert W starts working on uroboros, uses jill's t-virus antibodies to make it stable(RE5)
The connections contact miranda and develop BOW "eveline" with her from megamycete research (RE7/8)

That's from memory so I might've missed some, but they afaik they never removed any part of the history, just added to it.
That's a real fan for you, i have blurred memories of the story after re3\cv\4 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

We get it. You're upset sane people we're having none of this horrible opinion the first time u said it. So now you're trying to be sarcastically passive aggressive. Its not our fault u have absolutely no clue what you're talking about in regards to the graphics, sorry
Don't even respond to him. He's an idiot and knows nothing. I bet he thinks graphics means texture resolution.

That's a real fan for you, i have blurred memories of the story after re3\cv\4 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Don't blame you, you don't really think about it, but RE is one of the longest running continuous stories in gaming history.

Edit: I did actually forget one lol, adding it to the list.

Last edited:
People are trying to discuss the game without your flyby insults
No one said you was crazy, just said you was prick as evident by you jumping on anybody with insults that said anything about your precious game or their opinions don't match yours, get over yourself.
no matter whether you're right or wrong, you're still a twat, and that's not gonna change, so..
tenor.gif
"Ppl are trying to discuss the game" says the guy who plays 1/5 and comes in crying about how this isn't his Resident Evil. Amazing discussion you added with that, great point.

fart town usa

Gold Member
BSAA conducts research into, develops BOW soldiers(heel turn? live long enough to become the villain etc.) (RE8)

Very impressive.

If you're a big fan of the RE lore I highly recommend checking out the Resident Evil Podcast, formerly known as the Project Umbrella Podcast. These guys have been producing episodes for probably over a decade and it's incredibly entertaining stuff. Small community but if you're an RE fanboy, it's the best thing out there. Most of them live in the UK, lots of great humor. One of the members though, TheBatman has a 2700+ page document detailing the timeline of the RE universe, it's insane. Easily the most comprehensive thing on the internet. Eurogamer even did an article on it recently.

The Resident Evil Podcast Timeline Editorial | The Resident Evil Podcast

Last edited:

hese guys have been producing episodes for probably over a decade and it's incredibly entertaining stuff. Small community but if you're an RE fanboy, it's the best thing out there. Most of them live in the UK, lots of great humor. One of the members though, TheBatman has a 2700+ page document detailing the timeline of the RE universe, it's insane. Easily the most comprehensive thing on the internet. Eurogamer even did an article on it recently.

Being a visual learner that I am, do you know if there are any good youtube videos that outline the entire timeline? I've played most games but my memory is shit and I forget names/faces. Would love to catch up on all the lore.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Being a visual learner that I am, do you know if there are any good youtube videos that outline the entire timeline? I've played most games but my memory is shit and I forget names/faces. Would love to catch up on all the lore.
I'm not familiar with any particular ones though there are some long videos on YouTube.

This one from gamespot is probably good for the main plot points of the series prior to RE8. It's 40 mins so not too long, not too short either.

GymWolf

Don't blame you, you don't really think about it, but RE is one of the longest running continuous stories in gaming history.

Edit: I did actually forget one lol, adding it to the list.
No i know that the lore is gigantic and when i was little i readed all the extra files and optional material, until cv\4 i was all in with RE lore.

I still watch some yt videos where they explain all the creatures.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I had this exact issue, but I'm a pussy and just restarted and played on normal. Game feels WAAAYYYY too easy on Normal, but was getting annoyed at the opening Lycan section for being such a ball buster.

Maybe I'll just save hard for an NG+ run.

Should've stuck with it cuz that was just an early difficulty spike. Hard otherwise hasn't been too bad and is overall really thrilling & engaging. I'm only at the 3rd quarter tho so maybe it will spike again.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
On hardcore, I hated the final boss fight. I had to do it way too many times. It took me to a far away place, where I actually forgot what was good about the game. Starting back over on new game plus (shadow difficulty) has been a refreshing reminder that this is a survival horror game. I'm already noticing new enemy placements in this difficulty which is really neat.

THEAP99

Banned
For some reason, I am getting flashbacks to when I played Shadow of The Tomb Raider while playing this game

dcx4610

I think I'm a little over halfway in. For those that have finished the game, can you:

Go back and finish up the mini bosses and treasures? I don't want to blow all of my ammo and inventory on trying to kill a mini boss and then not having enough for the rest of the game. Or, is that not really a concern and you get plenty going forward?

I think I'm a little over halfway in. For those that have finished the game, can you:

Go back and finish up the mini bosses and treasures? I don't want to blow all of my ammo and inventory on trying to kill a mini boss and then not having enough for the rest of the game. Or, is that not really a concern and you get plenty going forward?
You should be able to go back as long as you don't enter the last area, but I did the first hidden boss immediately after beating the second boss and use most of my ammo/resources, wasn't really a problem building it back up for me.

SkylineRKR

Just beat RE4 in 12 hours, which is one hour more than I beat Village in. I liked it but it has a lot of shitty parts, insta death scenes (lol I died 4x at the jetski) and the shooting doesn't feel that great tbh. Island is almost all gun wielding enemies, and there is no way to strafe around arrows. The FOV doesn't work well with it either. I went BAR mostly, too bad about the 30fps reload lol. Forgot how easy saddler was, one shot on his eye, grab his weak point, grab rocket, kill him. Easiest boss in the game. Also launched some metal at him but you can also shoot an eye on his leg, I think its the same result. But you kill like 80 enemies per stage, its quite a huge lot. I would like some downtime such as the escape room in 8.

RE8 shooting feels okay to me. Its not dead easy but it has certain weight to it. I think haptics also work along fine. In RE8 I enjoyed all areas. Though I think I liked the castle the most. On normal you start with pea shooters but upgraded enemies do die quicker and the second batch of weapons is already far better. Lycans die in like 3 handgun shots to the head on Standard at this point. RE8's enemies are also pretty good. Guys with weak point on the chest, but later also at the back forcing you to revise your strategy. Or completely armored forcing you to use the environment or use explosives first.

RE8 was way too easy for me on Standard though, bar some late game areas and optional encounters. Final boss was also fairly hard, I probably died the most times there. I like RE8 more to be honest. But I'd probably want a remake of the first one akin to RE2R the most at this point.

I'll probably try RE8 on village of shadows and gonna hate a lot about it lol.

It’s amazing how quickly your impression of what great graphics are changes. I’ve started RE7 again and remember thinking it looked way better than it actually does. Village is a decent step up for sure.

Excess

I agree but RE8 did do a pretty good job of including the lore of the original 96 game. It's all retconned and just adds to the overall confusion but it's nice that they did it at all.

In case you're not tracking,
Oswell E. Spencer, the founder of Umbrella was a student of Miranda when he stumbled on the village in his youth. It was her teachings that inspired him to found Umbrella and begin research on the creation of the T-Virus. The game also has a book in Ethan's house about European Architecture that was written by George Trevor, he's the one who built the Spencer Mansion from the first game.

For me, a good RE game is one that involves item management, exploration, puzzles, and scares of course. The story lost me back when Code Veronica released. I stopped caring really and am just along for the ride. I will say that Village really surprised me in terms of narrative, it's not super cohesive but I thought it was delivered in a compelling way. I also found myself liking Chris for the first time since CV.

One thing that is interesting to think about regarding the death of classic RE prior to RE4 is that fixed camera angles might have been around longer if REmake had been released on PS2 and not the GCN as an exclusive. More people would have played it and it possibly could have lead to Capcom sticking with fixed camera angles for longer.
So I just finished, and I kind of saw that connection coming a mile away. Once Ethan saw the Umbrella logo, I was trying to understand how it related to the four houses, so my first assumption was that Miranda had some connection to Umbrella. With that said, I at least appreciate that they bridged that gap. However, I think Spencer's connection to her was poorly written. I just wish it was done with a little more creativity, for example: Miranda could have been a lover of Spencer during their days as students, and that the Umbrella logo was actually based on a pendant he had gifted to her. Instead, we're told Miranda somehow spared his life with no reason given, and then later taught him her work? What was in it for her? It's not clear. Also, we're told the logo was just an idea he stole from the Village symbols, which oddly implies that he called his company "Umbrella" just because it looked like an umbrella? Really? It just comes off as lazy writing.

All in all, though, an acceptable connection to the originals. I'll take that over anything.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Just finished the game. Overall I am feeling pretty lukewarm about it but still enjoyed it for the most part. Just not blown away nor do I think it's better than Re7 or is a goty contender.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So I just finished, and I kind of saw that connection coming a mile away. Once Ethan saw the Umbrella logo, I was trying to understand how it related to the four houses, so my first assumption was that Miranda had some connection to Umbrella. With that said, I at least appreciate that they bridged that gap. However, I think Spencer's connection to her was poorly written. I just wish it was done with a little more creativity, for example: Miranda could have been a lover of Spencer during their days as students, and that the Umbrella logo was actually based on a pendant he had gifted to her. Instead, we're told Miranda somehow spared his life with no reason given, and then later taught him her work? What was in it for her? It's not clear. Also, we're told the logo was just an idea he stole from the Village symbols, which oddly implies that he called his company "Umbrella" just because it looked like an umbrella? Really? It just comes off as lazy writing.

All in all, though, an acceptable connection to the originals. I'll take that over anything.
For sure, Capcom could definitely stand to work on their narrative delivery but Village definitely seemed like a massive step in the right direction. At least to me anyways.

Chiggs

xYg79Zy.png

49/49 Achievements and now onto the Series X version. Doubt I'll nab all the achievements there, but hey....

Hardest Achievements:
  • Universe's Best Dad
  • Legendary Cowboy
  • Knives Out

Annoying Achievements:
  • Lucky Number 7
  • Heretic
  • Bookworm

This honestly sounds like the "CW" version of resident evil ;P.

As for her motives:
Miranda didn't love anyone except Eva, so everything she did was dedicated to getting Eva back. Spencer was probably the only one she met who was a "visionary" like herself, since he was looking for the key to human evolution and he specifically mentions the "intellectual talks" they had.

She also wasn't just a murderous psychopath, they revered her has a goddess in the village, she has her own church and there are pictures of her everywhere, so her killing an injured visitor would seem out of character. The way the villagers talk about her, makes it clear that everything going to shit in the village is a very recent thing, probably right after she kidnaps/replaces mia.

Also, maybe most importantly, Spencer left without telling Miranda, perhaps she was teaching him her research, because she felt he could help her get Eva back, but then he bounced because his vision was "bigger than just one person".

The umbrella thing is fine, sometimes things just leave an impression, maybe they even discussed what the symbol looked like; it's not really important, it happened ages ago and more information about it, that just happens to be completely documented and found by the main character, is just forced/fake.

GymWolf

I have to say, i like their aesthetics and voice acting, but the first 3 lords are as deep as a puddle...not enough files about them and they really have not much to say other than being mad at ethan and in love with miranda, even the boss fights were ok at best.

The third one is just pathetic :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Finger crossed for heisenberg.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ive missed two files, annoying. Also do I not keep my upgrades to carrying space and weapon attachments with each run?

Want to do some speed runs and i dont seem to have kept anything?

SkylineRKR

I have to say, i like their aesthetics and voice acting, but the first 3 lords are as deep as a puddle...not enough files about them and they really have not much to say other than being mad at ethan and in love with miranda, even the boss fights were ok at best.

The third one is just pathetic :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Finger crossed for heisenberg.

He''s different.

But Alcina was different as well. As seen in the trailers so no spoiler really, she didn't give a shit about the ceremony and just wanted to curb stomp Ethan and eat him. The other 2 yeah, they're kind of pathetic.

Top Bottom