• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

It is my duty to always share my thoughts on Resident Evil games :messenger_smirking:

I am not a fan of first person, not just in this series, but, in general. I was disappointed when they decided to opt out of third person for RE7 and then continue it for 8. It does bring in your face scares, but, third person is just more enjoyable for me. Having said that, I actually like both RE7 and RE8 in general (RE8 more than RE7). Ethan, though, is just not a great character. I just can't bring myself to give a damn about him or having sympathy for his life story. He isn't anyone I even remember when thinking of Resident Evil. There is just no connection there at all for me. Chris, Jill, Claire, Leon, Ada., Wesker....these are some of the characters that will stay with us forever.

I really liked the Lady D character and how they kinda had her as this game's Nemesis. House Beneviento was one of my favorite sections of the game, great scare factor all around, really enjoyed shitting my pants for a while here.

I am a big fan of vampires (not the shining Twilight kind), I like werewolves, that kind of thing, so, I do appreciate the fact the RE games took a chance and have been trying different things, but, at the same time, if it wasn't for the returning classic Resident Evil characters, it would just be an action game with some horror that had the Resident Evil name slapped on it.

I really hope future games revert back to third person and get back to their roots. I get it, the first bunch of games were 'the same old thing', but, honestly....they are forever classics for a reason, no one cares that you had to do similar puzzles or dash around the same old zombies, hunters or run from zombie dogs. The stories were great, the locations and atmosphere fit the games, the characters were memorable, even if we hated them (looking at you, Steve Burnside)....it's become such a different series, and I would like to hope they've 'had their fun' and go back to the old ways, but, I think first person is going to be the future of all RE games.

Not a terrible game by any means for me, I had fun playing it, the games in general are just running so far away from what the series originally was.

EDMIX

lol why he moving like this for?

9O6I.gif

EDMIX

I actually posted a thread where I knocked the game for being too generic but I gave it another hour and holy shit I beat it and it’s probably one of all time favorites.

Facts. Thats why I tell people to finish and then tell us what they think.

Its one of the better RE's and does the classic formula justice.
It progressively gets better.

When i first started it, I could say mid way it was already in my top 5 favorite, by the time I was done with the game, in my top 3 in the RE series.

I like how the story connects to RE7, I love the gameplay in terms of the puzzles, weapon upgrades, finding keys, back tracking to open up new areas, love the boss fights and the mix of memorable characters and I even like how Capcom wasn't afraid to laugh at themselves with the whole punching boulders joke during the Heisenberg fight lol

I also love how it connects to the very original umbrella founder

Twas a fun game to replay, great story by itself, better story when factored with RE7

Shakka43

Playing Shadows of Rose(about an hour in) and I gotta say, the gameplay is not too good so far. The third person view style they went with here sucks and is a big step down from RE2 & 3 Remakes, also there is no option for first person view which makes no sense. The gunplay has little to no feedback, the enemies just keep moving forward like nothing is hitting them, worst yet they are lame enemies designs like the mold in RE7.

Also for someone with super powers Rose has to be the slowest person in gaming history, like even when you are holding down the run button while enemies are chasing you she just goes on a slow ass jog.

These things worry me a bit about RE4R cause the gunplay didn't look that good in the trailer either.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing Shadows of Rose(about an hour in) and I gotta say, the gameplay is not too good so far. The third person view style they went with here sucks and is a big step down from RE2 & 3 Remakes, also there is no option for first person view which makes no sense. The gunplay has little to no feedback, the enemies just keep moving forward like nothing is hitting them, worst yet they are lame enemies designs like the mold in RE7.

Also for someone with super powers Rose has to be the slowest person in gaming history, like even when you are holding down the run button while enemies are chasing you she just goes on a slow ass jog.

These things worry me a bit about RE4R cause the gunplay didn't look that good in the trailer either.
I've only played the demo of Gold edition and 3rd person is weird. It's very ... stiff and clunky.
And I am watching some twitch gameplay and it's weird because you pay for it and they couldn't be bothered to updated the cutscenes in 3rd person.
RE2 remake had Perfect 3rd person camera. but they couldn't do it because they are hiding Ethan face which is pointless, stupid and leads to nowhere.

I think RE4 trailer gunplay looked good. Like better version of RE2r.

Anyway - DLC not worth it ?

Shakka43

I've only played the demo of Gold edition and 3rd person is weird. It's very ... stiff and clunky.
And I am watching some twitch gameplay and it's weird because you pay for it and they couldn't be bothered to updated the cutscenes in 3rd person.
RE2 remake had Perfect 3rd person camera. but they couldn't do it because they are hiding Ethan face which is pointless, stupid and leads to nowhere.

I think RE4 trailer gunplay looked good. Like better version of RE2r.

Anyway - DLC not worth it ?
I understand them not going full blown third person on the main game as that would have required too much work and even gameplay alterations. But the DLC only has the third person view option so they should had gone with the RE2R style instead of the same constricted mode for no reason.

As for the DLC being worth it? Maybe not at full price, I got it for $15 thought and I like playing anything RE(single player) day one so it's not a terrible purchase. It could have been a bit better with certain gameplay tweaks but I'm not too bummed about it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Best part of the DLC is the gold font stuff. It gives your existence a touchy feeling to it. I have flash backs to The Evil Within and any non main playable character in every RE game.

Fabieter

The dlc gave me about 4h of playtime. Thats basically half a mainline resident evil game. I do think that's fine for 20 bucks all things considered.

FeastYoEyes

Playing through Shadows of Rose right now. Feels fairly uninspired but it's more RE to hold us over until March. This is not the same 3rd person shooting as the remakes. It's stiff, Rose is slow as hell and feels awkward. Shooting these new enemies doesn't do much for me either.

Top Bottom