• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil TV Series - New Trailer from Netflix (Coming July 14)

Draugoth

Gold Member

FUladBsWYAEH1gR

Last edited:

anthony2690

I think it could be pretty good from watching the trailer, I'll check the first episode or two, hopefully I enjoy it.

I just think they should've went with original characters instead, I think it would prevent a lot of vitriol.

assurdum

Banned
I don't understand all this negativism. It seem a lot better than what we have seen until now.

Last edited:
Don’t be silly. That would require Hollywood types to admit that video game writers can do a good job. Their egos won’t allow it.

Eh, the original RE is not what one would say is a good story. Hell nothing in Resident Evil story, writing, lore, is really quality stuff, it's all shitty b-movie level stuff. Adapting RE to the screen is always going to give us crap even if accurate. Closest we got to possibly good RE was when Romero was involved and that was going to change a tone of the game lore and also the tone of the entire thing.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I'll wait for TL;DR videos and clips. I don't personally want to blow my time on this. The creatures look neat, if anything. Everything else looks pretty meh, but it all depends on what you're into, haha.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Eh, the original RE is not what one would say is a good story. Hell nothing in Resident Evil story, writing, lore, is really quality stuff, it's all shitty b-movie level stuff. Adapting RE to the screen is always going to give us crap even if accurate. Closest we got to possibly good RE was when Romero was involved and that was going to change a tone of the game lore and also the tone of the entire thing.

It’s more about the set up, rather than the execution. It’s a really good concept. And it’s a shame no one have ever tried to start from that point. Yes, the RE stories could do with a lot of polish, but altering the entire story concept is just the wrong thing to do.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok I’m in but if you cancel it after one season I’m gonna a be annoyed. I thought Bebop was actually ok.

It’s more about the set up, rather than the execution. It’s a really good concept. And it’s a shame no one have ever tried to start from that point. Yes, the RE stories could do with a lot of polish, but altering the entire story concept is just the wrong thing to do.

This isn't also trying to change the concept apparently though, it's supposed to be in the future of the RE franchise. That's also not the Wesker folks know but a different part of Project W. This is apparently supposedly like the CG films, just with live action new cast in a future setting. If anything they are trying to avoid just doing another adaptation which was being filmed close to the same time as the recent new movie which was trying to adapt the games more "faithfully", but also showed how bad the original premise was to try to follow in execution.

To really retell the original is to require lots of change to so many things truthfully, and also the actual story content of the first game was so much filler for gameplay, it wouldn't translate to the screen, forcing them to add in a lot more to make it interesting. Don't think we want to watch an hour of searching for items and puzzle solving with a random single zombie to show up here or there.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Why.......why can't someone JUST remake the original game? Please. A simple, tense, horror story set entirely in the mansion. Fucking please.

Come on. The story in RE is flimsy and campy as fuck. There's nothing tense about zombies anymore and the second the Tyrant pops up you're going "Right this is a video game movie" if the movie is any good and "God damn this hilariously bad" if it aint. Any expectation that this could achieve HEREDITARY or THE WITCH levels of modern horror. . .I dunno.

Melon Husk

Why.......why can't someone JUST remake the original game? Please. A simple, tense, horror story set entirely in the mansion. Fucking please.
Because people who understand the story are still too young to be given a big budget to film it. Try again in 10 years.

Last edited:
Come on. The story in RE is flimsy and campy as fuck. There's nothing tense about zombies anymore and the second the Tyrant pops up you're going "Right this is a video game movie" if the movie is any good and "God damn this hilariously bad" if it aint. Any expectation that this could achieve HEREDITARY or THE WITCH levels of modern horror. . .I dunno.

Oh shit run into this house from the dogs we should just shoot the fuck out of. Oh man a single zombie... split up gang. Puzzle solving time. More puzzles, random jump scare... OH SHIT GIANT MONSTER. Explosion.

Yea the original is not material for a very good movie, it's a stupid cheesy b-movie, it's just memorable cause of the great atmosphere and gameplay.

Lack of vision and creativity.

The scariest parts of Resident Evil are when no shooting happens. When it's just the sound of your footsteps and the expectation that something is around the corner......then there isn't. It's about knowing you have to run through multiple rooms and you're out of shotgun shells. Yes, once you get loaded up you can just blow everything away and everything's trivial, just like the movies we've been given.

Guess what else isn't scary? The Alien in the original Alien, or the monster in The Thing. Without proper set up and direction, it's just a guy in a suit or special effect props. What Resident Evil has in spades is atmosphere and mystery, cool characters, the mansion itself and interesting monster designs. There's nothing tense about zombies because no one takes any care to implement them. A perfect example of how to make a tense zombie scene is from I Am Legend:

When he panned the flashlight over the zombies I jumped out of my fucking skin. You could easily make a Resident Evil movie with the tone of Alien, The Thing or Event Horizon and scare the shit out of people. Come on.

mckmas8808

Banned
I think it could be pretty good from watching the trailer, I'll check the first episode or two, hopefully I enjoy it.

I just think they should've went with original characters instead, I think it would prevent a lot of vitriol.

I think that's exactly WHY they are going with this new cast. To get away from all the comparisons to the original. Seems smart to me. And looks decent.

anthony2690

I think that's exactly WHY they are going with this new cast. To get away from all the comparisons to the original. Seems smart to me. And looks decent.
Riddick is apparently Wesker & I think that has received a lot of vitriol as he looks nothing like Wesker.

As mentioned I also think the show looks decent, not going to have some crazy knee jerk reaction like others here :p

Moses85

What a fucking mess. I thought after the movies it couldn't get any worse. Unbelievable, just unbelievable how Capcom lets its license get raped for money.

La Dodgers Baseball GIF by MLB

I don't understand all this negativism. It seem a lot better than what we have seen until now.

It's been over twenty years and we still haven't gotten a live-action adaptation that feels super accurate to the source material. The closest are the Alice films (which I actually enjoy for good brainless sci-fi action/adventure fun), where at least the characters they did bring in, fit their source material well.

I really enjoy Lance Riddick as an actor, he's fantastic, but you can't tell me he's a fit for Albert Wesker in live-action form. They didn't even give him a blond wig and sunglasses! A lot of fans just want live-action adaptations with casting that visually fits the source material character-wise, but it seems like that's too difficult to do, strangely.

Oh shit run into this house from the dogs we should just shoot the fuck out of. Oh man a single zombie... split up gang. Puzzle solving time. More puzzles, random jump scare... OH SHIT GIANT MONSTER. Explosion.

Yea the original is not material for a very good movie, it's a stupid cheesy b-movie, it's just memorable cause of the great atmosphere and gameplay.

You guys are buggin';

Give me a RE film with this throwback vibe, camp and all, and I'd be immensely happy.

Lack of vision and creativity.

The scariest parts of Resident Evil are when no shooting happens. When it's just the sound of your footsteps and the expectation that something is around the corner......then there isn't. It's about knowing you have to run through multiple rooms and you're out of shotgun shells. Yes, once you get loaded up you can just blow everything away and everything's trivial, just like the movies we've been given.

Guess what else isn't scary? The Alien in the original Alien, or the monster in The Thing. Without proper set up and direction, it's just a guy in a suit or special effect props. What Resident Evil has in spades is atmosphere and mystery, cool characters, the mansion itself and interesting monster designs. There's nothing tense about zombies because no one takes any care to implement them. A perfect example of how to make a tense zombie scene is from I Am Legend:

When he panned the flashlight over the zombies I jumped out of my fucking skin. You could easily make a Resident Evil movie with the tone of Alien, The Thing or Event Horizon and scare the shit out of people. Come on.

Agreed. People saying the original RE game doesn't have the makings of a good horror film story haven't seen enough movies because there are straight trash-fire movies out there (horror and otherwise) with stories way less than the original RE game.

BossLackey

Gold Member
The things that make Resident Evil great are hard to identify, impossible to quantify, and impractical to adapt.

Capcom themselves have had trouble recapturing the magic in it's native format.

Of all the video game properties that could be adapted, I'm continuously gobsmacked by the shear volume of shitty Resident Evil content we've received outside of video games. Is this horse not dead enough?! Need they beat it further!?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Doesn't work that way. It's very difficult to create a 1 to 1 adaptation from game to screen or even book to screen or screen to game. The mediums are to blame. Imagine R.E. as a glass jar. The glass jar represents the video game medium. The beverage you pour inside represents the R.E. lore and mythology. Now pour the same beverage inside the sound hole of a guitar.

It's complicated AF. Even if they could do a 1 to 1 adaptation,, no one would care for it. Why watch what you can already play? Waste of time, money and resources.

Doesn't work that way. It's very difficult to create a 1 to 1 adaptation from game to screen or even book to screen or screen to game. The mediums are to blame. Imagine R.E. as a glass jar. The glass jar represents the video game medium. The beverage you pour inside represents the R.E. lore and mythology. Now pour the same beverage inside the sound hole of a guitar.

It's complicated AF. Even if they could do a 1 to 1 adaptation,, no one would care for it. Why watch what you can already play? Waste of time, money and resources.
A faithful adaptation of the original is what I meant. A claustrophobic, survival horror story with mystery, sprinkled with understated fantasy and sci fi hooks.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Lance Reddick is amazing and the fact that he was dragged into this is a massive waste of his talents.
If you want a good show with Lance Reddick, watch Bosch on Amazon Prime.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Visually it looks great just don’t understand the casting choices for established characters

Boss Mog

I don't even think Lance Reddick can save this disaster. He should move on to the Horizon series to reprise his role as Sylens; that would be a better use of his talent.

Well, I'm scared.

The things that make Resident Evil great are hard to identify, impossible to quantify, and impractical to adapt.

Capcom themselves have had trouble recapturing the magic in it's native format.

Of all the video game properties that could be adapted, I'm continuously gobsmacked by the shear volume of shitty Resident Evil content we've received outside of video games. Is this horse not dead enough?! Need they beat it further!?
Like many video games the IP makes no sense when translated to movies/TV and at best becomes generic.

The good game IPs that would make for potentially good adaptations are ignored in favor of more popular IPs that likely will never work.

Last edited:
It's been over twenty years and we still haven't gotten a live-action adaptation that feels super accurate to the source material. The closest are the Alice films (which I actually enjoy for good brainless sci-fi action/adventure fun), where at least the characters they did bring in, fit their source material well.

I really enjoy Lance Riddick as an actor, he's fantastic, but you can't tell me he's a fit for Albert Wesker in live-action form. They didn't even give him a blond wig and sunglasses! A lot of fans just want live-action adaptations with casting that visually fits the source material character-wise, but it seems like that's too difficult to do, strangely.

You guys are buggin';

Give me a RE film with this throwback vibe, camp and all, and I'd be immensely happy.

Agreed. People saying the original RE game doesn't have the makings of a good horror film story haven't seen enough movies because there are straight trash-fire movies out there (horror and otherwise) with stories way less than the original RE game.

You quote Project Metal Beast and then talk about originality of RE? There is nothing original about RE, it's every trope in the book mixed with Japanese designed characters with goofy padded tactical gear.

I mean you want camp, then yes you are going to get just that, I mean that's what the Anderson RE movies were essentially but folks were mad cause they didn't follow the characters of the games and when they did try, it was corny and stupid... I mean it's not much different from what the RE series is.

What I'm saying is the fans don't even know or agree on what they want. You give them campy RE, "no no not like that", they expect some serious gourmet shit to come out of hollywood from the source material.

You quote Project Metal Beast and then talk about originality of RE? There is nothing original about RE, it's every trope in the book mixed with Japanese designed characters with goofy padded tactical gear.

Uh, I know that. I said "original" RE as in the first game, not that the story or setup for RE1 was original. It's practically a remake of Sweet Home 🤣

I mean you want camp, then yes you are going to get just that, I mean that's what the Anderson RE movies were essentially but folks were mad cause they didn't follow the characters of the games and when they did try, it was corny and stupid... I mean it's not much different from what the RE series is.

What I'm saying is the fans don't even know or agree on what they want. You give them campy RE, "no no not like that", they expect some serious gourmet shit to come out of hollywood from the source material.

Well that's them. I don't mind the camp, I embrace it.

Top Bottom