• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Results to "GAF's Greatest Games of All Time 2011 Edition"

AniHawk

Guevara said:
Super Mario Bros. 3
- First on NES, then as part of Allstars on SNES, then on GBA, currently available on Wiiware, recently released on a Wii port of Allstars
fixed.
smw isn't on the wii port

edit: aw fuck. first post on new page. um, something something mirror's edge something something.

Guevara

AniHawk said:
fixed.
smw isn't on the wii port

edit: aw fuck. first post on new page. um, something something mirror's edge something something.
Really? Fucking Nintendo.

Anyway, the general point is the same. The top rated games on the list also tend to have many re-releases and are all available for purchase today.

Jokeropia

drohne said:
given the sheer number and diversity of games out there, an individual top ten list that's half nintendo can only be the product of inexperience or fanaticism -- it's just not a meaningful representation of gaming history. but nintendo inspires fanaticism like nobody else, and voting elevates the obvious.
Actually, Nintendo simply make the most popular and beloved games.

2qn07c8.gif

randomkid

ahaha what the hell, why was my vote actually counted? I specifically formatted it so it wouldn't be counted! I just wanted to ramble, I'm not remotely "qualified" to decide the ten best games ever across all consoles and my list was haphazard and not even in any order at all or remotely justified. (a little surprised still that somehow no one else voted for harvest moon 64 or gunstar heroes. gunstar heroes! GAF was the place that actually pointed me to that game after I glossed over it for whatever reason back in the day).

anyways, the point of these threads for me certainly isn't the final list at all, which will be inherently useless, it's all about the ballots. I do two things when reading through this kind of stuff:

1) look for the lists from posters whose names I recognize so that I can see where they're coming from. even for people who don't bother to justify their lists, it's still useful to see a catalog. if someone's list is half nintendo games or square rpgs, that tells me something about their experiences and taste that i can keep in mind when they're commenting on other things (I say this as someone who had three nintendo games and two square rpgs on my list).

2) look for interesting well-written mini-essays or insights. stump had something really neat to say about ffvi that helped me view the game in a new way, he's the best person on GAF. ghaleon's always amazing, he reads like an enthusiastic college freshman who wants to show off all the cool stuff he knows, his posts are my favorite. drohne writes really really well and always has funny or interesting things to say. voting threads are nice opportunities for smart posters to highlight overlooked games or write interesting things about well-known games. the actual end-list itself is dumb and provides no value. it's what certain people put into ballots that make it worthwhile.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Guevara said:
I think one factor we're missing is the generally availability of titles and whether or not they've been able to keep their high profile since release. Some of the PC games I would love to play are difficult to obtain legally and the only buzz about them is on relatively hardcore message boards.

I highlighted the availability or lack thereof of all of my choices when I voted for that reason; I very much believe that a lot of people read explanations, say "I'll check that shit out", and then if they can't find it one button click away--whether that's Steam for a PC game or the VC or maybe Amazon for some people or in the case of older games I'm sure there's a lot of illegal ROM downloading--they probably relegate it to the back of their mind.

I just finished Spyro the Dragon for the first time ever (great job Insomniac!) and I bought a disc copy on eBay, but 99% of people out there would never check it out if it took eBay to get it. I thiiiiink Spyro is available on PSN but I only paid around $10 for the disc copy so I didn't bother checking for a price comparison. But a lot of people would basically check PSN and if they didn't find it there, they'd bail. That's a total pity.

Brak

I feel like there's a lot of strange assumptions being thrown around about the demographics of the people who responded to this poll, especially for those people who voted for Nintendo titles. I can certainly understand that to a certain extent these assumptions may even be true, but it hardly seems helpful or relevant when a large majority of people agree that those Nintendo games are the best games of all-time.

Would this list be more interesting if it included choices like Master of Orion 2, Katamari Damacy, Meteos, or Bushido Blade (all of which are in my personal top 20, but not top 10)? Absolutely. But, I'm not going to put Drill Dozer in my top 10 ahead of Super Mario World just to have a different 2D platformer that's more niche.

I'm 29 years old now, and I've been pretty serious about gaming for 23 of those years. I've played thousands of games, but the fact remains that Mario and Zelda really are that damn good.

If you want to have a "best games of all-time" list that excludes the best games of all time it just seems sort of pointless. Also, I don't think your list would end up looking too much different if you decided to do a judges' panel type list. Sure you would have less entries from single franchises but that wouldn't change the overall look of the list too much. And that would be the result of a conscious decision to mold the list, not necessarily because your imaginary council would think that Wind Waker isn't good enough to be in the top 50.

d1rtn4p

List really makes me wish I could get into Resident Evil 4. I played through RE5 numerous times and absolutely loved it. Every time I attempt RE4, I always get up to the first mass attack in the village and can't seem to figure out how to beat it. Argh.

ZZMitch

ryan-ts said:
Well considering it just finished second on the list, perhaps you missed out on the great experience and shouldn't be questioning all the people who love it. Maybe your own personal flaws are what ruined RE4 for you rather than the quality of the game itself.
Well like it had the potential to be good but maybe it was because I played the Wii version or something, but I have never played a RE game and the controls were horrible.

And I cant play Horror games. Maybe that is why I didn't like it :p

Kusagari

The reason there's so many Nintendo games(more that there's so many Mario and Zelda) is simple. Most gamers will have at least one game from those series in their top 10. But opinion, especially in the case of Mario, is vastly split on which game is the best. That's why Mario games are filling the top 20. Almost everyone voted for one but multiple Mario games are considered great so the vote is split. I don't think that's a case of Nintendo 'bias' unless there's ample proof that there was a multitude of lists just filled with Nintendo games.

Popstar said:
I think that the list of games that only got 2 or 3 votes would be in some ways more interesting than the final list.
I decied to look through the list now that you mentioned that. You also see predictable drops in votes along franchises (like no Pokemon generation 3, Zelda 2, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks having a lot less than the rest of their franchise).

Another nitpick with the full list. Are Golden Eye 007 and GoldenEye 007 meant to different games? I'm guessing the former is the 2010 version and the latter the 1997 version (by number of vote for each). That correct?
I always was bad at subtle names

Tain

iconoclast said:
I ctrl+f'd Ketsui in the voting thread, and you and I were the only ones to list it, but neither of us had it as #1. Did I miss something?

I kinda wish I put DOJ Black Label into my list now. Game's a masterpiece.

lol, nah, I just misread. Shows how much I cared about the order of my ten choices.

-KRS-

"Tetris"?
Ok... which one? They do play a bit differently.

Edit: For some reason, I was actually surprised to see OoT at number one here.

I think I would like to see a "top played of all time" some day. These greatest games are always the same. I think OoT is great but it's nowhere the game I've spent the most amount of time on.

i have zero problems with this list. good work everyone :)

looking forwards to playing that 1 through to completion for the first time on 3DS.

Stumpokapow said:
Second, you're missing out on a lot of quality games writing if that's your perception of stuff. I'd recommend GameSpite, Hardcore Gaming 101, and from an authorial point of view someone like Kieron Gillion--all three of these directions would point you towards people who are interested in the evolution of mechanics, the use of theme, revisiting established games with a critical eye, etc.

You mention GameSpite. Their Greatest* Games of All Time list isn't too far removed from the one found here. I'm not sure I understand the disappointment with the lack of diversity. Maybe these really are the greatest games of all time according to a self-selecting sample of gaming enthusiasts with a console-centric viewpoint.

Papissama

Banned
unikGamer is a dedicated site for listing our favorite games. It automatically compiles the list of everyone into a giant master list.

The "Master List" can be sorted out by demographics (gender, country and age).
You can also check out, which gamers have the closest gaming taste to you and check out their lists.

If you like making top lists, you guys should definitely check it out ;-)

In the meantime, check out my awesome all-time Top 25 favorite games list.

Top Bottom