• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Keep in mind, Discotek's DVD was only for the initial, five Dr. Slump movies. The 1980s TV series has never received any North American release, though the late-1990s series was previously streamed on Tubi. As for Discotek's movies, it hit retail in 2014 and has yet to see any manner of BD upgrade, which should tell anyone everything they need to know about the likelihood of a North American, home-media release of the TV show.

Crunchyroll Germany's release is an upscale from a video source, but it isn't cropped. Noise reduction is applied, however. From what I've seen and other impressions, Crunchyroll's discs are better than Spain's Selecta Visión but not as good as France's AB Video; all three BD releases are video upscales.

For reference, Crunchyroll vs. France's AB Video:

france.jpg
Yeah, for some odd reason I was thinking I saw a complete series DVD release. But, it was the movies set. Well, I keep thinking what the print number was for those DVDs (the movies) and how many sold. I mean, with HnK TV we at least got the remaster from the DVDs on 3-discs. If something was popular enough or sold well enough, we'd sometimes see those SD Blu-ray sets come out. I'd say it's unlikely there will ever be a true N.A. DVD release at this point. Especially when most of Toriyama's fanbase for anime adaptations is still expecting more from the Dragon Ball franchise. Anecdotal but, a friend and I were discussing the OG Kinnikuman and how it's crazy it never had a N.A. release. Yet, Discotek just released one of it's spin-offs from a 4-Kids dub (Ultimate Muscle). Lot of great stuff out there which, at this point (with streaming and all) will likely never see a physical release outside JP.

Look at the shading on the background art to the left of Goku in the German and French screenshots. German seems to be framed a bit better but the French wasn't scrubbed over and appears to have kept most of the color intact. I mean, the negatives being readily accessible for these...someone could do a simple remaster and put it back into the original framing. Anytime I hear the words "restoration" I get a knot in my stomach as that usually means someone's going to screw up the source material upon post-production processing. This isn't limited to just anime either. For reference, look at the multitude of live action films with recent 4K releases and you'll see the same destructive work happening.

Why it matters? The retro crowd really just loved the gritty, grainy and aged but great work of the originals. Sorta like LD releases which were about the last of the best much retro anime got. DVD was an era with many cropping VHS releases and only hit or miss with Blu-ray. 4K or 'new Blu-ray' releases I tend to just stay away from most of the time.

Anecdotal but, a friend and I were discussing the OG Kinnikuman and how it's crazy it never had a N.A. release. Yet, Discotek just released one of it's spin-offs from a 4-Kids dub (Ultimate Muscle).
This doesn't surprise me. The U.S. generation closely aligned with the original TV series are mostly nostalgic for the keshigomu figures, released over here as M.U.S.C.L.E. Those individuals don't have much connection to the actual Kinnikuman franchise; whereas, the generation that does have a more authentic connection got acquainted through the early 2000s series that Discotek recently released in their SD/BD format. More generally, for all those long-running 70s & 80s series, unless a North American distributor can nail down a quantifiable consumer base, that stuff is always going to remain import only, whether via Japan or occastinally Europe.

Look at the shading on the background art to the left of Goku in the German and French screenshots. German seems to be framed a bit better but the French wasn't scrubbed over and appears to have kept most of the color intact. I mean, the negatives being readily accessible for these...someone could do a simple remaster and put it back into the original framing.
In this instance, commenting on the framing is tricky, since there's no confirmation the images are from the exact same instance; and regardles, both versions are almost certainly being created from different video masters, meaing the issue could be source related. As expected, CR Germany's version applies heavier noise reducation and also appears to come with CR's prerequisite green tinting; both are why Europeans seem to consider the French release superior. In terms of negatives, though, we don't know, whether they are readily available. We know FUNimation/Crunchyroll has access to film for DBZ, but we don't know, if the same is true for Dragon Ball. Toei may actually have to dig-up the canisters to DB, from whatever pit they were thrown into, something they haven't even done for Japan.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This doesn't surprise me. The U.S. generation closely aligned with the original TV series are mostly nostalgic for the keshigomu figures, released over here as M.U.S.C.L.E. Those individuals don't have much connection to the actual Kinnikuman franchise; whereas, the generation that does have a more authentic connection got acquainted through the early 2000s series that Discotek recently released in their SD/BD format. More generally, for all those long-running 70s & 80s series, unless a North American distributor can nail down a quantifiable consumer base, that stuff is always going to remain import only, whether via Japan or occastinally Europe.

In this instance, commenting on the framing is tricky, since there's no confirmation the images are from the exact same instance; and regardles, both versions are almost certainly being created from different video masters, meaing the issue could be source related. As expected, CR Germany's version applies heavier noise reducation and also appears to come with CR's prerequisite green tinting; both are why Europeans seem to consider the French release superior. In terms of negatives, though, we don't know, whether they are readily available. We know FUNimation/Crunchyroll has access to film for DBZ, but we don't know, if the same is true for Dragon Ball. Toei may actually have to dig-up the canisters to DB, from whatever pit they were thrown into, something they haven't even done for Japan.
I've never understood how M.U.S.C.L.E. or Ultimate Muscle were picked up and shown (nearly) in their entirety. Albeit, there's no subbed version I've been able to come by anywhere. Anyway, Kinnikuman was such a better TV show from the little I've seen and the movie. You're correct though about those 70's and 80's series. Unfortunately, many didn't get promoted early on in the VHS days or at conventions and don't have a base. Another great lost one (to the Americas) is Sakigake!! Okotojuku TV and the movie. And that was like Dirty Pair TV length since it had been cancelled at like episode 40-something. I think people would have really appreciated the humor in both but far too much time has passed.

Well, I may be judging that just from the screenshot and if the uploader cut something off...that wouldn't have been the result of the German or French release. The German version certainly had been tooled around with though in editing. German version still looks like they scrubbed to. I'm not going to say the green-ish tinting looks great either on the latter. But there's no degraining or anything like that I can see. Wow, I kept thinking they did have negatives for OG Dragon Ball. If not, any release that comes up will be pretty much a scrubbed version of what was seen on the DVDs. Toei has lost so much film and audio. Whether it still exists or not would be the first point. Second would be if anyone was willing to invest the millions to do a 'from scratch' restore.

I've never understood how M.U.S.C.L.E. or Ultimate Muscle were picked up and shown (nearly) in their entirety.
The series was perfectly positioned to ride that late-90s-early-2000s wave of wrestling fandom and was additionally helped by having a directly related comic and video games, all of which got licensed to some degree for N.A. release. Even if they don't directly control all the pieces, companies love that type of synergy for a franchise. The 2000s Kinnikuman doesn't do anything for me, but I can see why it appealed to younger audiences and wrestling fans of the time. Discotek's release should also serve as a good test of how many of those 2000s-era viewers were turned into anime hobbyist; if their BD sells well enough, maybe they can take a shot at licensing some of the earlier material. Ultimately, these distributors always need to nail down an actual consmer base, if they're going to take a chance on unknown or lesser known materials from the 70s, 80s, and--at this point--90s.

As for Toei, the main problem is they don't seem to perceive any real value in older works. Sure, they've produced a ton of material and certainly some things are lost, but it's doubtful series that received 90s DVD remasters are suddently missing. More likely, Toei doesn't see a need to spend the time and money to produce decent HD releases, when even their domestic market is willing to buy poor upscales. Easier to just churn-out the upscales and keep making new episodes of One Piece.

dave_d

Hey, you missed Fushigi Yugi as a retro anime that as far as I can see doesn't have a blu-ray. (I have it as a DVD and I'm watching it now. I was going to say Escaflowne but that has a blu-ray.)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The series was perfectly positioned to ride that late-90s-early-2000s wave of wrestling fandom and was additionally helped by having a directly related comic and video games, all of which got licensed to some degree for N.A. release. Even if they don't directly control all the pieces, companies love that type of synergy for a franchise. The 2000s Kinnikuman doesn't do anything for me, but I can see why it appealed to younger audiences and wrestling fans of the time. Discotek's release should also serve as a good test of how many of those 2000s-era viewers were turned into anime hobbyist; if their BD sells well enough, maybe they can take a shot at licensing some of the earlier material. Ultimately, these distributors always need to nail down an actual consmer base, if they're going to take a chance on unknown or lesser known materials from the 70s, 80s, and--at this point--90s.

As for Toei, the main problem is they don't seem to perceive any real value in older works. Sure, they've produced a ton of material and certainly some things are lost, but it's doubtful series that received 90s DVD remasters are suddently missing. More likely, Toei doesn't see a need to spend the time and money to produce decent HD releases, when even their domestic market is willing to buy poor upscales. Easier to just churn-out the upscales and keep making new episodes of One Piece.
I guess we'll see. Seems like the reason they picked up Ultimate Muscle was to appeal to a niche market who saw it on FoxBox in the 2000s. There was merchandising for UM but I doubt it'll break even. It's a dub only release too which says that they probably payed much less to license and distribute. I wish that meant they'd grab an audience for Kinnikuman. Problem is people would complain that there's no dub for Kinnikuman and nitpick about it looking 'dated.'

Does seem to be the history with Toei. I'm amazed they were able to do so much with Cat's Eye and City Hunter TV series'. Shame given some of those negatives are probably in some dusty warehouse and yet they're focused on the next big DB spin-off.
I could never make sense of this film and it's not going make sense to me any time soon. But it exists so just enjoy.

Well, it's artsy. Not going to be much for writing but the marvel with Angel's Egg was always the implemenation of animation techniques. Really stuff we'll never see again as this was all part of that 80's bubble economy in Japan.
Hey, you missed Fushigi Yugi as a retro anime that as far as I can see doesn't have a blu-ray. (I have it as a DVD and I'm watching it now. I was going to say Escaflowne but that has a blu-ray.)
Not sure with Fushigu Yugi. Discotek released some popular Shojou titles like Dear Brother, Rose of Versailles (needs spell check) and Marmalade Boy. I think FY is still under license. Any idea J JunkerWoland ?

I'm almost entirely certain Fushigi Yuugi hasn't seen a HD release in any territory and definitely not in Japan. Media Blasters was the most recent US distributor, but their license should be defunct (or close to it). More generally, unless Fushigi Yuugi receives a HD release from its Japanese rights holder, I wouldn't exepct a Western company to create one for this particular series. Discotek is the only business really doing SD-on-BD; I suppose it's something they could grab for that manner of release, but I couldn't say whether they have any current interest.

ranmafan

It’s a shame Fushigi Yuugi has no form of hd release anywhere. Decided to see if it was on any of my streaming services I subscribe to in Japan and the one I found it on the quality was so low it was hard to watch. Such a great show deserves a hd release but I feel like the interest for one here in Japan is pretty low right now. I hope that changes soon but I doubt it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm almost entirely certain Fushigi Yuugi hasn't seen a HD release in any territory and definitely not in Japan. Media Blasters was the most recent US distributor, but their license should be defunct (or close to it). More generally, unless Fushigi Yuugi receives a HD release from its Japanese rights holder, I wouldn't exepct a Western company to create one for this particular series. Discotek is the only business really doing SD-on-BD; I suppose it's something they could grab for that manner of release, but I couldn't say whether they have any current interest.
Almost seems like there were 2 NA DVD releases but not something I'd ever anticipate getting a remaster. Couple years back I saw one of Media Blasters old distributors selling the whole lot for about $70. Almost seemed like they (Media Blasters) still had a bunch of unsold stacks of the last DVD release. More than likely oop but it didn't sell well. There was a time in the early 2010s where some of there stuff even ended up at a local Walmart. Seems like the wrong retailer to be selling a niche 90s shojou but it was there. You're right though. If Discotek picked it up, I'd expect no more than an SD tranfer of the Media Blasters release, if anything.
It’s a shame Fushigi Yuugi has no form of hd release anywhere. Decided to see if it was on any of my streaming services I subscribe to in Japan and the one I found it on the quality was so low it was hard to watch. Such a great show deserves a hd release but I feel like the interest for one here in Japan is pretty low right now. I hope that changes soon but I doubt it.
There's probably more to this. It's one of those 90s titles which probably saw it's last release in the DVD era just like You're Under Arrest or Ghost Sweeper Mikami.

ranmafan

There's probably more to this. It's one of those 90s titles which probably saw it's last release in the DVD era just like You're Under Arrest or Ghost Sweeper Mikami.
I wouldn’t be surprised. I do find it interesting that there was a Japanese dvd release in 2010 but no blu-ray release at the time. Then again older series didn’t get as many blu-ray releases here until a few years later. Also there’s been some Fushigi Yuugi stage productions so the series isn’t completely dormant in terms of interest (although still no where near where it probably needs to be for a new remaster). I bet the best chance for a remaster would be interest from the western companies and fans but yeah, who knows how tied up everything is.

That also reminds me, I really wish someone would rerelease “Ayashi no Ceres.”

Almost seems like there were 2 NA DVD releases...
Geneon initially had Fushigi Yuugi, then Media Blasters rescued the license in 2012. MB's stuff is what you'll still occasionally see floating around retail, though a quick search shows a lot of the Geneon discs available on the secondary market.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I wouldn’t be surprised. I do find it interesting that there was a Japanese dvd release in 2010 but no blu-ray release at the time. Then again older series didn’t get as many blu-ray releases here until a few years later. Also there’s been some Fushigi Yuugi stage productions so the series isn’t completely dormant in terms of interest (although still no where near where it probably needs to be for a new remaster). I bet the best chance for a remaster would be interest from the western companies and fans but yeah, who knows how tied up everything is.

That also reminds me, I really wish someone would rerelease “Ayashi no Ceres.”
Had Media Blasters not picked it up, there was enough of a nostalgia following that Discotek likely would have taken to a DVD release. However, it doesn't seem to be a title of that great interest to work on remaster or restoration. I'm surprised they pulled El Hazard: The Magnificent pt 1 and worked it; yet left part 2 as garbage. Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought Fushigi Yuugi was of the same popularity in the West as El Hazard. But as mentioned, the gun was jumped when it fell into Media Blasters hands. So as JunkerWoland mentioned above...and SD-Blu-ray would be the most likely scenario of release...if anything. There was a time when the West would sometimes release a title that Japan wasn't and has happened many times with Discotek. I look at it this way though: if Japan isn't running Blu-ray remasters in high print numbers or simply not at all; it's telling that foreign markets aren't going to do much with these.
Geneon initially had Fushigi Yuugi, then Media Blasters rescued the license in 2012. MB's stuff is what you'll still occasionally see floating around retail, though a quick search shows a lot of the Geneon discs available on the secondary market.
Geneon handled many of those releases which came and went. I think is was around 2006 or 2007 when I saw Geneon buy a bunch of these titles and they only remained in print for a very short time. I think the one positive of this having had been Media Blasters is that they tend to let things just fall out of license and could likely be purchased cheaper. However, as I've said before...anything with Fushigi Yuugi would like just be a straight transfer. Take all those FoxKids/FoxBox forgettable 2000's titles (like Ultimate Muscle) that Discotek released. What you're seeing is a direct transfer of the previous licenser / distributor. They're not going to invest the money for the negatives (if they're out there) unless it's something that had a rather grand following and they feel they're going to break even for the millions raised.

-Zelda-

Banned
I should have searched for this topic before posting in that other one about Vampire Princess Miyu. Having a hard time currently finding Ninja Scroll anime movie as well. Seems to be really expensive. I did manage to find a non bootleg dvd version of Ceres Celestial Legend though. Blu ray would have been better, but I'll take it. Now if only Gurren Laggan was at amazon. Also Code Geass.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I should have searched for this topic before posting in that other one about Vampire Princess Miyu. Having a hard time currently finding Ninja Scroll anime movie as well. Seems to be really expensive. I did manage to find a non bootleg dvd version of Ceres Celestial Legend though. Blu ray would have been better, but I'll take it. Now if only Gurren Laggan was at amazon. Also Code Geass.
Sounds like you may have dipped into retro toward the end of the 90s or early 2000s. It was not at it's peak at that point and most (with the exception of about 3 or 4 TV series) were not getting budgeting anything for production. Doesn't mean it's not fun to go back to for nostalgia. But, my return to a lot of later 90's titles seems to show a faded nostalgia lens.

Now to your topic. I don't visit the other thread very much anymore as there's not much to comment on and I cut the cord on modern anime some 16-odd years back. You can repost about Vampire Princess Miyu if there's something we can be of help with. There's the manga, the OVA and the series which are all very different and I never hear compared collectively.

I was unaware Ninja Scroll's prices had jumped up given how many times it was reprinted in the DVD era, the print numbers (which were high due to it being a movie many saw late-90's before anime got really big like today) and...it's common as any Miyazaki title. Only with a lesser detailed 90's Kawajiri style. The lowest on Amazon are the Region 2 releases. Not sure where you're based out of. If you don't want to spend over $30 on a used copy, try eBay. Although it's likely been oop for awhile; people know it's not a particular rarity. If all else fails...I wouldn't hesitate to say it's probably already online freely without having to search for it in a paid streaming app. J JunkerWoland sorry for tagging again. Did Ninja Scroll get a Blu-ray release and why would that be oop?

I think someone else already mentioned Ceres. Code Geass and Gurren Laggan still feel more recent to me (that's me though and to me, Bebop was made just yesterday lol). From what you're saying sounds like Ceres isn't widely in print either. Think it was ranmafan ranmafan who brought it up and mentioned the manga possibly being hard to find as well.

Are you still buying most of your anime or manga physically? The reason I ask is because older titles by the majority are oop. There's a percentage of titles which licensing/publish/distributors like Discotek have managed to dig out over the past 11-years or so. Still, the vast majority of retro that had a release in the VHS, LD or DVD era have or are going oop. That's why, sometimes the only option is to go to online. I have entire thumb drives with material. That's another story though as some of those were never released outside Japan in the first place (and from the looks of it never will be).

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Only place I can shop online is amazon, sadly. Makes it harder to do. I am in the U.S.
Since I moved abroad, the majority of any eCommerce purchases for me are too with Amazon. Therefore, I tried our appendage Amazon and the main .COM site to try helping out. I can't believe it and had you not posted this, I would have never known it's oop status (and of course popularity) are likely what's driving it to be at those prices. If you want physical here are the options for right now:

Buy a new or like new copy that's in the ~$60 range. If it's an option, try to get a mint copy of the 10-year anniversary edition. I had the 10-year anniversary edition but lost it during a move back in 2011. It's in a thin card board case with a slip over top, there are a few extras and I believe some production material which is worth checking out. They kept it a clean transfer without any digital scrubbing but the audio was enhanced. If it's mint, it'll have a mini poster of the N.A. release of the movie inside. The other U.S. release by Manga Entertainment (the one I have now) is the first DVD release. Says on Anime News Network that it was released in 98' but I doubt that. That's probably when they released the VHS. Anyway, that one isn't too bad either but I'm about 98% certain that it was not true 15:9. When the release came out, most people still had 4:3 CRTs (even with the DVD). So, it's cropped and stretched. But, it did have this:

- Somewhat digitally remastered
- Wooo...interactive menus (it was new at the time)
- Dual language tracks: Original Japanese w/ subs SDH & English Dub
- English Dolby Surround 5.1, Japanese Dolby Digital Stereo (the people who first got into it had mostly seen the dub only. Therefore, Manga Entertainment didn't try for the higher quality Japanese audio 5.1)
- Complete Movie Synopsis (probably text only)
- Key character art & Text files (something which made DVDs on retro anime great)

I put all of that there as this is the most common U.S. release on DVD you're going to find now. It was unrated, so nothing from the visual side should be missing or cut. I will say this as a final note: I've seen many Manga Entertainment titles going oop or in license rescue stage. Something as popular as Ninja Scroll may get picked up by Discotek. However, Discotek are probably going to go full ride and try to get the original negative (if they exist) to do a full restoration (which has never been done unless with the last JP release). If that happened...you'd be looking at paying around $25-$40 tops. On the other hand, I wouldn't wait. I've been waiting over 10-years for a new release of a few of the following and it would appear it's just not going to happen: Gall Force (all movies), Gunsmith Cats OVAs mass release (there was a niche crowdfunded release but way too expensive for my budget...I still have the ADV VHS release), Outlanders OVA, Capricorn OVA, NeoTokyo movie, Dominion Tank Police, New Dominion Tank Police, nearly all of You're Under Arrest, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Plastic Little, Legend of Lemnear (I'm aware it sells cheap but I can't find a decent conditioned copy to ship internationally) and many more...

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Not going to through all 41 pages atm but watching this thread for for ideas for stuff to watch.

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but some of my faves were

Guyver (obvs)
New dominion tank police
Detonator orgun
Project ako

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not going to through all 41 pages atm but watching this thread for for ideas for stuff to watch.

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but some of my faves were

Guyver (obvs)
New dominion tank police
Detonator orgun
Project ako
I'll try to drop a list that I know depending on what you're looking for specifically. Maybe Tuesday the 31st. Give me an idea if there's a particular genre that you like more than others and if you're willing to do some digging. There are many great titles which you'll find online only unless you happen across a JP VHS or LaserDisc for some greats that just never made it outside Japan.

There are some if you go back to page 1 though who have superb recommendations and the most detailed posters to look for in the thread are certainly: Space Runaway Space Runaway 's ot JunkerWoland's contributions. I think our big spender though on recent releases if you're going physical is kunonabi kunonabi . Yeah man, I get that Rightstuf is discounting those bulk purchases; but you buy more in one round than I get in like 2-years.

Read the OP too as I made that like 3-years ago and probably had some ideas which just never really happened. Main goal with this thread was to get people talking about the real retro stuff from 60's - early 90's if possibly. I have a negative bias on mid-90's onward although (guilty pleasure), there are some in those years I've held onto.

Someone shared the Guyver OVAs with me. They don't start off too bad and I didn't see the animation falls too short. But it does get messy before the last episodes. Story of 80's/90's OVAs though if they were even completed.

New Dominion Tank Police I actually mentioned as one of the oops in the above previous post. Need more production material posted on that and the original.

Detonator Orgun is also a fun topic and may still be in print.

Project-Ako. Going to assume you're talking about the first. Which release did you like the best? I've been seeing promos on Amazon for the Blu-ray if you don't have it yet.

Ninja Scroll has been issued on Blu-ray in multiple regions. For North America, Sentai Filmworks released the movie in 2012 and again in 2015; unfortunately, the company has demonstrated a tendency of letting older discs, such as this film, go out-of-print. The West was always the biggest market for Ninja Scroll, and the movie will inevitably see a domestic re-release. Personally, I'd wait for a company to rescue the title; and during the interim, try to find a copy, likely second hand, at a brick-and-mortar store or anime convention.

ranmafan

I think someone else already mentioned Ceres. Code Geass and Gurren Laggan still feel more recent to me (that's me though and to me, Bebop was made just yesterday lol). From what you're saying sounds like Ceres isn't widely in print either. Think it was ranmafan ranmafan ranmafan ranmafan who brought it up and mentioned the manga possibly being hard to find as well.
Ceres is on the edge for me for being retro, just barely since I saw most of it (not all sadly) at the end of college twenty years ago. But yeah, I'm not sure about the manga but at least in Japan the DVDs are available. Used prices aren't so bad. Might have to pick that up next year sometime. Waiting for a license rescue from the west would be too long, especially with Fushigi Yuugi needing to be figured out as well.

Ninja Scroll has been issued on Blu-ray in multiple regions. For North America, Sentai Filmworks released the movie in 2012 and again in 2015; unfortunately, the company has demonstrated a tendency of letting older discs, such as this film, go out-of-print. The West was always the biggest market for Ninja Scroll, and the movie will inevitably see a domestic re-release. Personally, I'd wait for a company to rescue the title; and during the interim, try to find a copy, likely second hand, at a brick-and-mortar store or anime convention.
Thats a shame it's not available right now. Makes me glad I picked it up not too long ago. Thats the one thing I'm not a big fan of Sentai Filmworks, their releases just disappear quickly. And in some cases, like Ideon, they make statements that the title isn't OOP but then never mention it again ever.

Read the OP too as I made that like 3-years ago and probably had some ideas which just never really happened. Main goal with this thread was to get people talking about the real retro stuff from 60's - early 90's if possibly. I have a negative bias on mid-90's onward although (guilty pleasure), there are some in those years I've held onto.

I want to hopefully contribute to that soon. Been trying to find time to do more anime watching but things have gotten in the way for quite a while now. But now, especially after rebuilding most of my collection, I'm planning on starting a weekly anime viewing night, most likely a Friday night to mimic my old university's anime club night in the late 90s. For sure at the start going to be watching some classic shows like:

Ranma 1/2 - (Slowly been rewatching with my daughter, she loves it just like me)
Votoms
Urusei Yatsura (now that the releases are almost complete time to start the viewing)
Gaogaigar
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Ideon
G Gundam
Dear Brother
Dunbine

And along with some shows from the past 20 years that falls outside the topic, I'll probably watch a series or two on streaming here in Japan that's hard to find. Not sure what yet but something worth viewing. Depends on how much i can squeeze into a Friday night. Should be fun.

Papa_Wisdom

I'll try to drop a list that I know depending on what you're looking for specifically. Maybe Tuesday the 31st. Give me an idea if there's a particular genre that you like more than others and if you're willing to do some digging. There are many great titles which you'll find online only unless you happen across a JP VHS or LaserDisc for some greats that just never made it outside Japan.

There are some if you go back to page 1 though who have superb recommendations and the most detailed posters to look for in the thread are certainly: Space Runaway Space Runaway 's ot JunkerWoland's contributions. I think our big spender though on recent releases if you're going physical is kunonabi kunonabi . Yeah man, I get that Rightstuf is discounting those bulk purchases; but you buy more in one round than I get in like 2-years.

Someone shared the Guyver OVAs with me. They don't start off too bad and I didn't see the animation falls too short. But it does get messy before the last episodes. Story of 80's/90's OVAs though if they were even completed.

New Dominion Tank Police I actually mentioned as one of the oops in the above previous post. Need more production material posted on that and the original.

Detonator Orgun is also a fun topic and may still be in print.

Project-Ako. Going to assume you're talking about the first. Which release did you like the best? I've been seeing promos on Amazon for the Blu-ray if you don't have it yet.
Thanks for the reply.

I have both the original guyver and OVAs on dvd, I like them both for what they are and actually prefer the OVAs on a lot of ways.

I have all the dominion and new dominion tank police as well that and project ako are what actually got me into anime to begin with

Detornator orgun is just amazing, I must have watched it 100s of times

Project ako I have I think 3 or 4 dvds of it. It’s been years since I’ve last watched them and as mentioned it was watching that on I think either channel 4 or the sci fi channel Late on a Friday night Night that started my love of anime when I was a kid.

As for what I’m after I’m not sure. I remember writing lists from the coming soon features at the start of the vhs, fantasy, mech, sci fi, gory stuff really!

Many thanks

Last edited:
And in some cases, like Ideon, they make statements that the title isn't OOP but then never mention it again ever.
Ideon was a Maiden Japan license, not Sentai Filmworks. Confusing as it's been, when ADV Films dissolved, the company's assets were transferred into separate, independent business entities, with Section23 Films acting as the distributor for their video titles. While Maiden Japan's legal entity, Unio Mystica LLC, is still a registered business in Texas, its active operations seem to have ceased around 2019, the same year Ideon released on BD; the company still exists likely to just maintain existing contracts and for legal purposes. Assuming Maiden Japan is essentially defunct, Sentai Filmworks would first need to acquire their licenses, such as Ideon, if they wanted to handle them in any capacity. That Ideon is no longer available on Sentai/AMC's HDive platform is possibly a good indication of how they feel about the show and maybe much of Maiden Japan's OOP back catalog.

The best case scenario would be series such as Ideon, Patlabor, Votoms, and Xabungle become available to license. They're all subtitled in English, so it'd be an easier title rescue from a production standpoint. Otherwise, if Sentai/AMC grabbed them, there's a chance the series would merely be added to the HDive platform for content purpose, without seeing any retail reissues of their Blu-rays.

Last edited:

Labolas

Read or Die the OVA and Series is another classic I miss. Madlax is also hard to find at amazon. Noir, and El Cazador are not, which is weird.
ROD is awesome. Madlax wasn't that popular nor received that well compared Noir, which changed the girls with guns genre when it came out.

ranmafan

Ideon was a Maiden Japan license, not Sentai Filmworks. Confusing as it's been, when ADV Films dissolved, the company's assets were transferred into separate, independent business entities, with Section23 Films acting as the distributor for their video titles. While Maiden Japan's legal entity, Unio Mystica LLC, is still a registered business in Texas, its active operations seem to have ceased around 2019, the same year Ideon released on BD; the company still exists likely to just maintain existing contracts and for legal purposes. Assuming Maiden Japan is essentially defunct, Sentai Filmworks would first need to acquire their licenses, such as Ideon, if they wanted to handle them in any capacity. That Ideon is no longer available on Sentai/AMC's HDive platform is possibly a good indication of how they feel about the show and maybe much of Maiden Japan's OOP back catalog.

The best case scenario would be series such as Ideon, Patlabor, Votoms, and Xabungle become available to license. They're all subtitled in English, so it'd be an easier title rescue from a production standpoint. Otherwise, if Sentai/AMC grabbed them, there's a chance the series would merely be added to the HDive platform for content purpose, without seeing any retail reissues of their Blu-rays.
Ah I see. That whole end of ADV situation and all the companies that came from it and what it is even today still confuses me. So it's weird to me that Sentai filmworks themselves were the ones to tweet about the OOP situation back in 2020 claiming it's not, if it's not their title. But I'm so out of the loop regarding who has what and what companies still exist and don't when it comes to the business in the west. One of the things to happen to me living in Japan for almost 20 years now. Still wish I had started my rebuilding my collection a year earlier. Would've been nice to be able to get Ideon and Xabungle. Thankfully got Patlabor and Votoms at the right time. It would be nice to see them all get rescued for blu ray. Not sure who would be able to though.

So it's weird to me that Sentai filmworks themselves were the ones to tweet about the OOP situation back in 2020 claiming it's not, if it's not their title
All the companies are/were interrelated to varying degrees in terms of operations, but legally existed as separate entities, so Maiden's titles are Maiden's titles, despite its connections to the rest of the Section23 umbrella. Still, Sentai was the main business in the group, and the one that managed the webstore, where all the group's titles were listed. Sentai would have known just as much about Maiden's properties as whatever skeleton crew technically ran that business. But yeah, it was an odd setup and probably even weirder now that Sentai is owned by AMC Networks.

ranmafan

All the companies are/were interrelated to varying degrees in terms of operations, but legally existed as separate entities, so Maiden's titles are Maiden's titles, despite its connections to the rest of the Section23 umbrella. Still, Sentai was the main business in the group, and the one that managed the webstore, where all the group's titles were listed. Sentai would have known just as much about Maiden's properties as whatever skeleton crew technically ran that business. But yeah, it was an odd setup and probably even weirder now that Sentai is owned by AMC Networks.
Got it! The industry back home seems just so weird and different to me now having been gone so long. Heck I still think of AMC as American Movie Classics more than the Walking Dead/Breaking Bad channel it is now. Thinking they own the remnants of ADV is still wild to me.

That being said, thankfully I do have access to Ideon and Xabungle. Although I wish I had subs for Xabungle (I really don't need them but I still like having them as a backup for any errors I might make.) But hopefully one day they get back on the western physical market.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Ceres is on the edge for me for being retro, just barely since I saw most of it (not all sadly) at the end of college twenty years ago. But yeah, I'm not sure about the manga but at least in Japan the DVDs are available. Used prices aren't so bad. Might have to pick that up next year sometime. Waiting for a license rescue from the west would be too long, especially with Fushigi Yuugi needing to be figured out as well.

Thats a shame it's not available right now. Makes me glad I picked it up not too long ago. Thats the one thing I'm not a big fan of Sentai Filmworks, their releases just disappear quickly. And in some cases, like Ideon, they make statements that the title isn't OOP but then never mention it again ever.

I want to hopefully contribute to that soon. Been trying to find time to do more anime watching but things have gotten in the way for quite a while now. But now, especially after rebuilding most of my collection, I'm planning on starting a weekly anime viewing night, most likely a Friday night to mimic my old university's anime club night in the late 90s. For sure at the start going to be watching some classic shows like:

Ranma 1/2 - (Slowly been rewatching with my daughter, she loves it just like me)
Votoms
Urusei Yatsura (now that the releases are almost complete time to start the viewing)
Gaogaigar
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Ideon
G Gundam
Dear Brother
Dunbine

And along with some shows from the past 20 years that falls outside the topic, I'll probably watch a series or two on streaming here in Japan that's hard to find. Not sure what yet but something worth viewing. Depends on how much i can squeeze into a Friday night. Should be fun.
The reason I revised OP (last year...or earlier this year, I forget) to exclude most 2000's titles was because I find them hard to be called retro. To some, they're classics. Others have a feeling of nostalgia for them as the oldest titles are nearly 24-years old at this point. Retro the way I tried to put it in OP was that vast number of titles (OVAs, movies, TV series) from the early 90's back to you name the decade. Had I thought this through 3-years ago, I would have just made the thread on Showa anime alone as there are so many titles from that period no one discusses, are nearly/if not completely forgotten (even in Japan) and was the last era to really see impression implementation in the world of anime (IMO). My nostalgia does span further into late 90's than I'd like it to as QC was pretty low at that point and anime had already become pretty redundant in those years. I get what you mean though. 20 odd years ago, someone actually dropped a Ceres manga in my high school and I ended up finding the owner like 5-months later.

The conversation started around Fushigi Yuugi and I'm curious if anyone has searched it to see if it has been at least petitioned for re-release. Not sure if that's the correct word but I recall before Discotek; there were sites that would let you sign a petition for retro titles to be released which only made it halfway or not at all during the VHS era. It worked for the most part as Discotek also hosted this concept at one point too. If it's a licensing issue though...that's where things could take a long time to happen. Or just not happen at all depending.

Ideon is oop. I found out later last year as I was scanning it. I don't think the print numbers were very high and what copies are left are selling pretty far up there.

When you get around to it, could you let me know how Dear Brother is? I've always loved the character design and original art style but have never seen an episode. Sometimes I'll watch something just because it looks great even if the story falls flat. I mentioned it in a string of other shojou titles a few posts up too but, still haven't seen it.
Thanks for the reply.

I have both the original guyver and OVAs on dvd, I like them both for what they are and actually prefer the OVAs on a lot of ways.

I have all the dominion and new dominion tank police as well that and project ako are what actually got me into anime to begin with

Detornator orgun is just amazing, I must have watched it 100s of times

Project ako I have I think 3 or 4 dvds of it. It’s been years since I’ve last watched them and as mentioned it was watching that on I think either channel 4 or the sci fi channel Late on a Friday night Night that started my love of anime when I was a kid.

As for what I’m after I’m not sure. I remember writing lists from the coming soon features at the start of the vhs, fantasy, mech, sci fi, gory stuff really!

Many thanks
Take care of the Guyver OVAs, those are sorta rare now and certain not cheap on the used market. They're probably the last (maybe only) good animated thing to ever come from the IP Guyver IMO.

Okay then, you have two other incredibly high priced collectables there. New Dominion was still in low print until about like 2014 or so. However, the OG...man that's so far oop that I missed ever seeing it on the shelves or online. Real deal there. Project A-ko helped kinda get me back into anime when I was on a 3-year hiatus from just not really wanting to watch it again and had sold a bunch of stuff off (including some which I'm probably never going to find again).

Detonator Orgun is worth the watch. There are many OVAs like that which I'll rewatch nearly every year. Fun thing about OVAs is that they never ask too much and if it bombs, you sometimes only had to invest less-than 40-minutes of time to get through it.

If you're U.K. it may have been on Channel 4. In the U.S., they ran the first film on Sci-fi channel's Saturday anime run in the 90's. I didn't see it until one of the early streaming sites was running it back in the early 2000's. I ended up buying every movie shortly after (maybe to less excitement the CPM releases). Movie 1 is most people's favorites. I tend to hold my ground that movies 2 & 3 were good too. Movie 4 was...okay. Movie 5 (the whole Red vs. Blue or whatever it was called) I have on DVD but could never get through it. Seems they sorta burned the A-Ko idea out by that point.

Start with fantasy and send me a reminder this week. I have a long and still growing list as that's one of my favorite genres.
I can't remember but seems like Sentai were the ones who bought up all of ADVs titles when they liquidated. Not sure if they still do, but for awhile they'd still slap a small DVD-gen ADV logo on later releases. These companies being owned by larger entities which may/may not really care that they have the power to sell certain titles is unfortunate. Warner Home Video owns what used to be Viz Media if I remember. Given the fact that the Rumik World OVAs and Maison Ikkoku didn't sell well when it was just Viz Video / Shogukukan; makes it seem all the more futile that Warner HV would even consider a release at this point. Starz Media owned a number of distribution rights for the old Manga Entertainment titles and may not longer; so those I'm convinced are lost. Unless by some miracle Discotek manages to secure them.

I can't remember but seems like Sentai were the ones who bought up all of ADVs titles when they liquidated.
ADV didn't liquidate its assets. In 2007, ADV went into a partnership with Sojitz Corp; from that point on, most of ADV's new licenses were technically held by Sojitz. The partnership between the two companies collapsed in 2008. Sojitz would then shop around their licenses, most of which were acquired by FUNimation (none went to ADV or its successor companies).

Because Sojitz held minority ownership in ADV, the heads of ADV decided the best way forward was closing the existing company and transferring the remaining assets to multiple, new companies (Seraphim Studios, AEsir Holdings LLC, Valkyrie Media Partners LLC, and SXION 23 LLC), which then setup new business entities to handle operations, those being: Section23 Films, Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Productions, Maiden Japan, etc. The main point: Sentai didn't purchase anything from ADV; Sentai is ADV.

Not sure if they still do, but for awhile they'd still slap a small DVD-gen ADV logo on later releases.
Titles that were still under license by ADV Films had to legally carry the logo, even if they were being distributed by Section23 Films. For instance, the 2021 release of Elfen Lied carries the ADV logo, because they're still technically the license holder.

Warner Home Video owns what used to be Viz Media if I remember.
I've mentioned several times in this thread, but Warner does not--and never has--owned Viz Media. Viz is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Shogakukan and, since its inception in 1986, has always been a subsidiary of the overall Shogakukan group, which includes Shueisha and ShoPro. Since 2008, for their home-video releases, Viz has maintained a distribution partnership with Warner Home Media; this simply means Warner handles getting Viz's completed DVD & BDs into retail spaces, including the physical shipping of discs to stores.

Starz Media owned a number of distribution rights for the old Manga Entertainment titles and may not longer; so those I'm convinced are lost.
Starz maintains the various contractual rights to international distribution for Ghost in the Shell anime works, due to Manga Entertainment heavily funding the creation of the 1995 film. There shouldn't be any other anime property with licensing or distribution issues tied to Starz/Manga. The lack of re-releases of certain titles handled by Manga in the 1990s or early 2000s doesn't mean those shows are being hampered by Starz/Manga.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
ADV didn't liquidate its assets. In 2007, ADV went into a partnership with Sojitz Corp; from that point on, most of ADV's new licenses were technically held by Sojitz. The partnership between the two companies collapsed in 2008. Sojitz would then shop around their licenses, most of which were acquired by FUNimation (none went to ADV or its successor companies).

Because Sojitz held minority ownership in ADV, the heads of ADV decided the best way forward was closing the existing company and transferring the remaining assets to multiple, new companies (Seraphim Studios, AEsir Holdings LLC, Valkyrie Media Partners LLC, and SXION 23 LLC), which then setup new business entities to handle operations, those being: Section23 Films, Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Productions, Maiden Japan, etc. The main point: Sentai didn't purchase anything from ADV; Sentai is ADV.

Titles that were still under license by ADV Films had to legally carry the logo, even if they were being distributed by Section23 Films. For instance, the 2021 release of Elfen Lied carries the ADV logo, because they're still technically the license holder.

I've mentioned several times in this thread, but Warner does not--and never has--owned Viz Media. Viz is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Shogakukan and, since its inception in 1986, has always been a subsidiary of the overall Shogakukan group, which includes Shueisha and ShoPro. Since 2008, for their home-video releases, Viz has maintained a distribution partnership with Warner Home Media; this simply means Warner handles getting Viz's completed DVD & BDs into retail spaces, including the physical shipping of discs to stores.

Starz maintains the various contractual rights to international distribution for Ghost in the Shell anime works, due to Manga Entertainment heavily funding the creation of the 1995 film. There shouldn't be any other anime property with licensing or distribution issues tied to Starz/Manga. Just because there hasn't been a re-release of certain titles handled by Manga in the 1990s or early 2000s, this doesn't mean those shows are being hampered by Starz/Manga.
Well, that's sorta why I tag you sometimes. You're able to fact check my discrepancies ;)
I know the anination side of it but tend to post on things related to the above off the hip. When posting in the forums I tend not to use a cheat sheet (Google Search).

But, since you also seem to get irritated when I mistake certain details, I did step out to read into ADV as their story seemed pretty clear. I suppose you're going to call this the "ownership" part:

Looks very operational. Oh, but Sentai owns them which almost sounds like we're saying Sentai existed before ADV. They didn't. But they did do this...

Getting acquired by AMC. But...still sounds just like the ADV which existed from the early 90's until what happened in 2009? They liquitated a large share of their assets which were acquisitioned. Ever work in a business that liquidated and was acquisitioned? Years ago I did. Outdoors company which made numerous financial blunders. But they were B2B with Costco and...Costco acquired the name. Manufacter in China: different. Supply chain: changed. All the acquisition kept was a name. Remaining inventory was sold 70% off on clearance or scrapped.

Just my 2-cents. Never said Viz ever dissolved either.

Final note: If Starz Media LLC (which if you knew business, an LLC could literally be a P.O. box) has the power to just release anything, why don't they? They bought up some pretty low tier IPs but also had some big money titles like GitS. There's much more to this...

Looks very operational.
When I wrote Sentai is ADV, I meant it figuratively and was going for simplicity in messaging; apologies for the lack of clarity. ADV exists as some manner of holding company, due to existing contracts and possibly because Sojitz still has a minority ownership; they don't maintain active, business operations. As previously mentioned, the 2021 release of Elfen Lied carried the ADV logo, because ADV still existed to hold that licensing contract. Regardless, ADV wasn't liquidated, at least not in the usual sense; it's majority owners (including John Ledford, founder of ADV) created four businesses (Seraphim Studios, AEsir Holdings LLC, Valkyrie Media Partners LLC, and SXION 23 LLC) and transferred/sold ADV's assets to those new entities. Those new entities setup further companies, including Section23 and Sentai, which continued the operations of ADV. Sentai didn't purchase ADV's assets; ADV's assets were transferred to successor companies, whicn in turn created Sentai.

As far as Section23 & Sentai being acquired by AMC Networks, I'm honestly not following the point you're attempting to make.

Never said Viz ever dissolved either.
You wrote, "Warner Home Video owns what used to be Viz Media;" and this is incorrect. No part of Viz has ever been owned by Warner; Viz merely maintains a distribution partnership with them.

Final note: If Starz Media LLC (which if you knew business, an LLC could literally be a P.O. box) has the power to just release anything, why don't they? They bought up some pretty low tier IPs but also had some big money titles like GitS. There's much more to this...
The only anime IP that Manga Entertainment had legal attachment was Ghost in the Shell. The rest of their catalog was handled via licensing contracts, which don't inherently travel to new business when a company is acquired; these contract also expire. This isn't a question of Starz choosing not to release a particular series; they simply don't have the licensing rights to release any of those previous Manga Entertainment titles. Hypothetically speaking and to further illustrate, if some company wanted to release Orguss 02 but was having problems getting the show; the issue would be originating from Japan and not some roadblock created by Starz/Manga.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
When I wrote Sentai is ADV, I meant it figuratively and was going for simplicity in messaging; apologies for the lack of clarity. ADV exists as some manner of holding company, due to existing contracts and possibly because Sojitz still has a minority ownership; they don't maintain active, business operations. As previously mentioned, the 2021 release of Elfen Lied carried the ADV logo, because ADV still existed to hold that licensing contract. Regardless, ADV wasn't liquidated, at least not in the usual sense; it's majority owners (including John Ledford, founder of ADV) created four businesses (Seraphim Studios, AEsir Holdings LLC, Valkyrie Media Partners LLC, and SXION 23 LLC) and transferred/sold ADV's assets to those new entities. Those new entities setup further companies, including Section23 and Sentai, which continued the operations of ADV. Sentai didn't purchase ADV's assets; ADV's assets were transferred to successor companies, whicn in turn created Sentai.

As far as Section23 & Sentai being acquired by AMC Networks, I'm honestly not following the point you're attempting to make.

You wrote, "Warner Home Video owns what used to be Viz Media;" and this is incorrect. No part of Viz has ever been owned by Warner; Viz merely maintains a distribution partnership with them.

The only anime IP that Manga Entertainment had legal attachment was Ghost in the Shell. The rest of their catalog was handled via licensing contracts, which don't inherently travel to new business when a company is acquired; these contract also expire. This isn't a question of Starz choosing not to release a particular series; they simply don't have the licensing rights to release any of those previous Manga Entertainment titles. Hypothetically speaking and to further illustrate, if some company wanted to release Orguss 02 but was having problems getting the show; the issue would be originating from Japan and not some roadblock created by Starz/Manga.
That's better. When I'm posting with regard toward these companies even if they just be a name alone, it was to come to one of two points: are they still active as a standalone as they were some ~20-years ago, or are they only operating via acquisition or under another entity. Sometimes my posts may not go straight to the point which is why I don't particular care for nitpicking if you're unsure what that post aims as a thesis.

What you wrote is important though and I'll explain to those reading: why. Many of these aren't going to move an inch with whomever their current owners are (unless it's that popular one-off like GitS). Many of these may (didn't say 'do' said 'may') need to be purchased if folks want a newer release.

ranmafan

The reason I revised OP (last year...or earlier this year, I forget) to exclude most 2000's titles was because I find them hard to be called retro. To some, they're classics. Others have a feeling of nostalgia for them as the oldest titles are nearly 24-years old at this point. Retro the way I tried to put it in OP was that vast number of titles (OVAs, movies, TV series) from the early 90's back to you name the decade. Had I thought this through 3-years ago, I would have just made the thread on Showa anime alone as there are so many titles from that period no one discusses, are nearly/if not completely forgotten (even in Japan) and was the last era to really see impression implementation in the world of anime (IMO). My nostalgia does span further into late 90's than I'd like it to as QC was pretty low at that point and anime had already become pretty redundant in those years. I get what you mean though. 20 odd years ago, someone actually dropped a Ceres manga in my high school and I ended up finding the owner like 5-months later.

Yeah nostalgia is a tricky thing for a lot of people to grasp the time for, but I really like your intentions for the thread. Focusing especially on the Showa era of anime is something I like seeing, as even back when I was in college in the late 90's and early 2000s's, there was even a reluctance by many of the members of the club, one of the biggest in the country at the time, to talk about or even view those classics and anything from that era. Which always just rubbed me the wrong way. I loved classics like Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam/Zeta Gundam, etc. And it seemed unless you were in a niche group of the club, it was like it didn't exits. And while my pure nostalgia for anime probably extends just a few years into the 2000s, it's really that Showa era and early Heisei years that were quite special.

When you get around to it, could you let me know how Dear Brother is? I've always loved the character design and original art style but have never seen an episode. Sometimes I'll watch something just because it looks great even if the story falls flat. I mentioned it in a string of other shojou titles a few posts up too but, still haven't seen it.

I can give you a bit of an insight into the show from my time watching it in college. "Dear Brother," is really a unique show. First you got the fact it's by the woman who made the all-time classic "Rose of Versailles," and it maintains that classic late 70's look from that classic show in its designs. It deals with the lives of high schoolers in a very dark way, with lots of deep subjects that come along with that type of show, drug use, suicide, etc. Its seriousness really contrasts with the quirkiness I've found with most shojyo shows, shows that I like a lot, but "Dear Brother" is very unique. That being said, it's not for everyone. In fact, when my university anime club decided to finally show it after many members close to the staff asked for it, the reception was quite mixed. It ended up getting shown as the last anime of the evening before midnight so that anyone could leave and not have to watch it. Over half the members of the club, which was quite large, left immediately every week.

Also, two other interesting things about the show. One is that it was aired by NHK, which is extremely picky about showing anime outside of kid's education shows. And he second is more personal. I found not too long after meeting my wife, that she used to watch the show when it aired on NHK when she was young, and she was shocked that anyone else knew about it. And to be honest that is the reaction I get whenever I bring up the show here in Japan to people. Either they have no idea what I'm talking about (which is most of the people), or they are absolutely shocked that I know of its existence.

Anyone backing the Macross II Kickstarter?
I'll reluctantly back the campaign, once it launches. I can't pretend Macross II is anything other than a mediocre-at-best show, with a well animated penultimate episode, but I feel a nagging obligation to support the franchise's attempt at Western releases. Much as I F-ing hate crowdfunding, there's also the issue of shows AnimEigo has done via this method either have not received a retail release or--for those that have--the on-disc content from their Kickstarter edition is somewhat better than the retail version--if I'm gonna buy a Western release of Macross II, it might as well be the best release of the material. I do appreciate AnimEigo and their dedication to older anime, but I wish they'd abandon the crowdfunding model, although it seems unlikely to happen, at this point

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah nostalgia is a tricky thing for a lot of people to grasp the time for, but I really like your intentions for the thread. Focusing especially on the Showa era of anime is something I like seeing, as even back when I was in college in the late 90's and early 2000s's, there was even a reluctance by many of the members of the club, one of the biggest in the country at the time, to talk about or even view those classics and anything from that era. Which always just rubbed me the wrong way. I loved classics like Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam/Zeta Gundam, etc. And it seemed unless you were in a niche group of the club, it was like it didn't exits. And while my pure nostalgia for anime probably extends just a few years into the 2000s, it's really that Showa era and early Heisei years that were quite special.

I can give you a bit of an insight into the show from my time watching it in college. "Dear Brother," is really a unique show. First you got the fact it's by the woman who made the all-time classic "Rose of Versailles," and it maintains that classic late 70's look from that classic show in its designs. It deals with the lives of high schoolers in a very dark way, with lots of deep subjects that come along with that type of show, drug use, suicide, etc. Its seriousness really contrasts with the quirkiness I've found with most shojyo shows, shows that I like a lot, but "Dear Brother" is very unique. That being said, it's not for everyone. In fact, when my university anime club decided to finally show it after many members close to the staff asked for it, the reception was quite mixed. It ended up getting shown as the last anime of the evening before midnight so that anyone could leave and not have to watch it. Over half the members of the club, which was quite large, left immediately every week.

Also, two other interesting things about the show. One is that it was aired by NHK, which is extremely picky about showing anime outside of kid's education shows. And he second is more personal. I found not too long after meeting my wife, that she used to watch the show when it aired on NHK when she was young, and she was shocked that anyone else knew about it. And to be honest that is the reaction I get whenever I bring up the show here in Japan to people. Either they have no idea what I'm talking about (which is most of the people), or they are absolutely shocked that I know of its existence.
I tried 2000s when it was happening. Watched the popular shows sometimes near completion like Naruto, Bleach or Inuyasha. But...I didn't really enjoy it. My take but anime for numerous reasons started to feel stale around that time. For every 'new' show, I could think of 3 before it which were the same genre, but a whole lot better.

I know Dear Brother was the same artist and strange they pulled something completely different off over a decade after Rose of Versailles.

Story's kinda sad that people just forgot it. Seems like it may have been revieved better internationally in France or possibly Italy. I heard Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 was French and may be able to confirm how Dear Brother was recieved back in the day.

I'll give it a shot. I've seen certain titles which would really shock folks in JP because I own a few which bombed there (into obscurity) but I still held onto them.

Finished reading Maison Ikkoku recently... Kinda sad to see it finally go after reading it on and off for a year, some highs and lows but the praise was worthy of its legacy.
I'm not on any Kickstarters at the moment. I wanted to support the one for Dirty Pair TV on Bluray but not paying them to drag it out for a stupid English dub. Drop a link though so folks here can check it out.

Maison Ikkoku has always been my favorite Rumiko manga. TV show (which I've referenced nearly a dozen times in the back pages) wasn't comparable. I bought it back in college and it was hard finding it back then. I even had a missing volume mail ordered with a 3-week ETA. Completing it took me about 2-years as internet manga hadn't really happened.

(Off Topic: Forgot to tag you in the O/T comic gag & DIY thread last weekend. It's still open though for new ideas. I know you're a comic guy too)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'll reluctantly back the campaign, once it launches. I can't pretend Macross II is anything other than a mediocre-at-best show, with a well animated penultimate episode, but I feel a nagging obligation to support the franchise's attempt at Western releases. Much as I F-ing hate crowdfunding, there's also the issue of shows AnimEigo has done via this method either have not received a retail release or--for those that have--the on-disc content from their Kickstarter edition is somewhat better than the retail version--if I'm gonna buy a Western release of Macross II, it might as well be the best release of the material. I do appreciate AnimEigo and their dedication to older anime, but I wish they'd abandon the crowdfunding model, although it seems unlikely to happen, at this point
Not a fan of crowdfunding myself. That's where they totally lost me on the Gunsmith Cats: OVA Blu-ray. Working marketing is something else (which is what I do, just not anime). I've helped with several large crowdfunding campaigns over the past 10-years by established corporations. I'd make sure terms are up front too as not all backers are guaranteed:

A. Product once goal is accomplished or
B. Anything if the campaign doesn't hit goal and...nothing happens.

Sucks too for the backers as whomever is running the campaign must read this very well first before even launching:

You can put the money in but if the party who started the crowdfunding didn't do their part of accounting everything in advance (which is why it's good to consult or hire an accountant); you may just end up losing all of what you were backing for naught. In the case of Macross ll, I wouldn't say this necessarily but...if you're happy with the AnimeEigo release (provided you still own it); maybe just settle with that too.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

I am!

I also might be the only person on earth who didn't like Macross Plus (The cast was so unlikeable I couldn't get into it and once you know what happens its like "I don't need to ever watch this again") but loves Macross II (best Macross soundtrack) with a passion (The VHS tape has been in my VCR for months bought a sealed copy years ago I couldn't help but open) Most of the 'issues' people have with Macross II stem from the OVA format shame it didn't get a full series.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I am!

I also might be the only person on earth who didn't like Macross Plus (The cast was so unlikeable I couldn't get into it and once you know what happens its like "I don't need to ever watch this again") but loves Macross II (best Macross soundtrack) with a passion (The VHS tape has been in my VCR for months bought a sealed copy years ago I couldn't help but open) Most of the 'issues' people have with Macross II stem from the OVA format shame it didn't get a full series.
If you started with the OG timeline and stop before Southern Cross, then you're fine. Macross Plus wasn't for everyone. I've always felt that it was 'good enough' and also where Macross should have ended. Since you were watching some of these on VHS...dubbed or subbed? I know a few animation fans who saw dubs of decent OVAs and tried to blacklist them. They were unaware that the dub not only often missed the mark entirely for the casting but cheapie studios would often screw up the stereo mix too. You ask most people who didn't like the Devilman OVAs (Birth in particular) or Cyber City Oedo; it's usually people who watched them dubbed. That's one thing I'm glad I detached from after the VHS era. The subs as everyone knows were 5-10 dollars more and I was that guy buying 'what was affordable.'

kunonabi

I adore Plus and hated Macross 2. I only watched the movie version of it though so I'm going to the full thing a shot once the kickstarter release comes out.

To be honest I don't expect to like it much better though since I've hated every Macross follow-up other than Plus.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I adore Plus and hated Macross 2. I only watched the movie version of it though so I'm going to the full thing a shot once the kickstarter release comes out.

To be honest I don't expect to like it much better though since I've hated every Macross follow-up other than Plus.
This is a kickstarter. There were other Macross IPs which certainly need to come back one last time. Probably stated this but vaguely remember 2 if I saw it in the first place. Like many, Plus was in nearly every other video store in the late 90's and still felt fresh. You can look through the production material and note for Plus; it's certainly much better and I seldom ever side with a 90's project over 80's.

Most folks would agree with the bolded. Not even sure if anyone in Japan watched Plus (could be confusing it but it seems like it garnered more attention internationally) but certainly not beyond it. Like much of anime today, the vast majority is being produced for a Western audience. Although, there's probably a niche group of nerds in JP that would purchase ll (provided there hasn't already been a remaster in Japan).

Off-topic but my gripe with Kickstarter is having been asked to do marketing for a rather large campaign (which bombed and left many backers with nothing but anger/remorse); I can't trust these things. As I've stated before, look at what they're doing with the Dirty Pair TV kickstarter. Squandering the budget and dipping well beyond 3-years (financial mismanagement) for what? A stupid English dub. There's (had they bothered to invest in licensing etc) at least one of the student film demos of Dirty Pair from 8mm that a good friend showed me recently which should have been an extra. Just blows my mind that they wasted 3-years on a dub project. Funniest part about that is they had barely a niche audience for Dirty Pair TV who cared for 'the old dub.' Most wanted the show subbed. If the Macross ll project doesn't have a steady timeline breaking down how they're budgeting the backed money; then it's an investment which I'd honestly not touch. GSC is one of my favorite 90's OVAs and I didn't even back them. $90 + for a 3 episode OVA...no thanks.

Valonquar

I saw a gif of a Macross boy band with breakdancing veritechs and noped the fuck out. Plus and Zero were okay stand alones and Macross 7 was special in it's own Macross but NOT Macross way.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I saw a gif of a Macross boy band with breakdancing veritechs and noped the fuck out. Plus and Zero were okay stand alones and Macross 7 was special in it's own Macross but NOT Macross way.
Sounds like some awful parody. My man, what happened to your manga AV? Never knew what manga it was either...

Valonquar

It was Mr Tokai from Sancuary. Same artist\author as Crying Freeman. Sad it never got the anime treatment. My AV got AI-ified ^_^; Mr. Tokai will probably return before long.

m19532776064_1.jpg

Last edited:

kunonabi

This is a kickstarter. There were other Macross IPs which certainly need to come back one last time. Probably stated this but vaguely remember 2 if I saw it in the first place. Like many, Plus was in nearly every other video store in the late 90's and still felt fresh. You can look through the production material and note for Plus; it's certainly much better and I seldom ever side with a 90's project over 80's.

Most folks would agree with the bolded. Not even sure if anyone in Japan watched Plus (could be confusing it but it seems like it garnered more attention internationally) but certainly not beyond it. Like much of anime today, the vast majority is being produced for a Western audience. Although, there's probably a niche group of nerds in JP that would purchase ll (provided there hasn't already been a remaster in Japan).

Off-topic but my gripe with Kickstarter is having been asked to do marketing for a rather large campaign (which bombed and left many backers with nothing but anger/remorse); I can't trust these things. As I've stated before, look at what they're doing with the Dirty Pair TV kickstarter. Squandering the budget and dipping well beyond 3-years (financial mismanagement) for what? A stupid English dub. There's (had they bothered to invest in licensing etc) at least one of the student film demos of Dirty Pair from 8mm that a good friend showed me recently which should have been an extra. Just blows my mind that they wasted 3-years on a dub project. Funniest part about that is they had barely a niche audience for Dirty Pair TV who cared for 'the old dub.' Most wanted the show subbed. If the Macross ll project doesn't have a steady timeline breaking down how they're budgeting the backed money; then it's an investment which I'd honestly not touch. GSC is one of my favorite 90's OVAs and I didn't even back them. $90 + for a 3 episode OVA...no thanks.
The macross 2 kickstarter is being done by animeigo and they've been rock solid so far aside from their brief bout of dnr insanity that that they immediately back tracked on when the backers revolted.

I've had nothing but good experiences with kickstarter until I started getting into board games. It's a horror show over there and a lot of those outfits should not be in business.

Yeah, I did the minimum pledge for dirty pair since the censorship didn't interest me but I figured I'd leave the door open just in case. It is crazy how long that is taking. I know they had the same argument as skip-beat where they said that it wasn't financially viable to do a sub only release but considering what discotek has been putting out I'm not sure how true that is, especially in DP's case.

I think my main disconnect with macross is I prefer the more serious Sci-fi elements but the Japanese follow-ups tend to just double down on the idol/music stuff. It's why I'm more of a Robotech guy in general.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It was Mr Tokai from Sancuary. Same artist\author as Crying Freeman. Sad it never got the anime treatment. My AV got AI-ified ^_^; Mr. Tokai will probably return before long.

m19532776064_1.jpg
I had the Crying Freeman manga (when they sold them in 3 large bulk volumes). Sanctuary would have been great to see a release. Go the OVAs and when they were produced; just not going to see animation like that again. Even by the mid-90's when anime character models became 'sharp edged' and bug-eyed to make it easier for the outsource animators.

Anyway, it'd be nice to see that again someday.
The macross 2 kickstarter is being done by animeigo and they've been rock solid so far aside from their brief bout of dnr insanity that that they immediately back tracked on when the backers revolted.

I've had nothing but good experiences with kickstarter until I started getting into board games. It's a horror show over there and a lot of those outfits should not be in business.

Yeah, I did the minimum pledge for dirty pair since the censorship didn't interest me but I figured I'd leave the door open just in case. It is crazy how long that is taking. I know they had the same argument as skip-beat where they said that it wasn't financially viable to do a sub only release but considering what discotek has been putting out I'm not sure how true that is, especially in DP's case.

I think my main disconnect with macross is I prefer the more serious Sci-fi elements but the Japanese follow-ups tend to just double down on the idol/music stuff. It's why I'm more of a Robotech guy in general.
Bolded, I probably don't want to know but hopefully the fight was to condemn heavy use (if any) of DNR. Yeah, I'm one of those guys. This is why most still watch retro anime in the first place. It was ugly enough when during the DVD era we were seeing a bunch of titles released 4:3 simply get stretched and cropped to 16:9 with few every getting remaster. DNR absolutely destroys the final production and should be forbidden. That wouldn't have been so for Blu-ray if people would get it out of their heads that your can remaster or restore titles without the goal to cater them to 4K people. Off the soapbox anyway as I have no clue with the quall was about but I wouldn't doubt I'm too far off.

I guess it really depends on what your budget is too. If 1/3 of a project was crowdfunded, I'd understand that but no way would I toll in money for something basic they're going to mark 30% above retail for these titles. I was not part of this one but do know of one successful board game that not only hit goal but really sold well (and led to a 3rd wave of production). The guy who invented the game is a fellow marketer and sent me a courtesy copy of the game. However, some of those people really don't know what they're doing. Anyone who hasn't worked in business and is doing this without consultation from accountants should not be trusted. And I know that nearly all are attempting their own budgeting without an accountant :/

You and many others with the Dirty Pair Kickstarter. Question is: when? Most did this 3-years ago and probably aren't stopping their day to see if it will ever get finished. It was plenty financially viable. They didn't need to resub it either. Never trust the words people who take Kickstarter as their introduction to the business world. To give you an idea, when anime was more widely produced in the 90's and 2000's, every publisher had a full staff (including accountants to advise them on how the marketing could determine things as strict as print number). Some took that as an anecdote with Kickstarter that 'just print low' and you won't lose. That's right, but a decent team would start budgeting for a 2nd round production after the initial beta launch depending on the figures. They don't do that. It's usually one and done (if you want a copy and didn't pledge buy it on eBay). Back to Dirty Pair TV, this is a clear case of not knowing your target. Their broader target wanted a sub. There was a niche of a niche that wanted a dub release. The censorship (don't want to tag Runaway in here but he actually posted on this) I believe was done with the last releases in Japan. Scary too as that censorship was basically producers checking for IPs in anime that's over 35-years old. I always joke at how many pop cultural references were in the original Burn Up OVA; if that were ever pulled back for a new release; they'd censor all that out to the point of losing context of entire pieces of comedy. Anyway, my accountant friends would ask me what fans would want more of for that Dirty Pair release. I bet you anything people would prefer the demo films get released and additional production material as extras. The extras missing from modern Blu-rays is one reason I just don't care to buy the format anymore. Seems like these morons just drove the truck back to the 90's by thinking the majority of those who purchased the DVDs were looking for a dub. If that were the case, they should have gone through the headache of trying to license the first Sol Bianca OVAs (which people boycotted the DVD release because they only dubbed like 2-episodes). That'd be a case where just give the crybabies their dub anime.

I can empathize with that. To prefer Macross to be more like a Crusher Joe atmosphere was certainly more fun. I need to stop commenting on it as I haven't watched anything Macross for like 17-years.

Top Bottom