• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

ranmafan

Pretty excited tonight. My copy of Gaogaigar bluray has arrived. Still surprised how quickly it has released after its announcement. Still a little salty about buying the used Japanese dvds over the summer just before but glad I have a better copy now. Getting closer to completing my rebuild of my classic anime collection now.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Pretty excited tonight. My copy of Gaogaigar bluray has arrived. Still surprised how quickly it has released after its announcement. Still a little salty about buying the used Japanese dvds over the summer just before but glad I have a better copy now. Getting closer to completing my rebuild of my classic anime collection now.
That is sweet! Gaogaigar given time will be oop and I'm considering this year buying titles like this as I'll regret it once they are oop. Streaming's already taken over and I'm not quite sure what's keeping physical afloat. But you picked a classic. I just received Hokuto no Ken (the TV series) on blu-ray for the first time. I've never owned it in it's entirety. Very grateful to have these classic titles. Glad you posted too ranmafan ranmafan as I was just showing my wife this site which you may also be interested in:

ranmafan

That is sweet! Gaogaigar given time will be oop and I'm considering this year buying titles like this as I'll regret it once they are oop. Streaming's already taken over and I'm not quite sure what's keeping physical afloat. But you picked a classic. I just received Hokuto no Ken (the TV series) on blu-ray for the first time. I've never owned it in it's entirety. Very grateful to have these classic titles. Glad you posted too ranmafan ranmafan as I was just showing my wife this site which you may also be interested in:

[/URL]
That’s one big reason I went ahead and picked it up quickly. Just have a feeling it will go oop faster than other titles. I’m still regretting not getting Ideon and Xabungle when I had the chance. There’s a ton of the classic mech series that I still have on my buy list that I fear could be in the same boat. Hopefully I can get those soon too soonish but Urusei Yatsura will come first for anime purchases this year.

Thanks for the link! Will be looking through that art today. One thing is nice is seeing lots of new Takahashi stuff online and in the wild these days. Really love all the merchandise on sale in Japan lately. Got a nice Lum figure from a gatchapon the other day in Akihabara and some Urusei Yatsura themed beans for setsubun coming up. Good time to be a fan of her works!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That’s one big reason I went ahead and picked it up quickly. Just have a feeling it will go oop faster than other titles. I’m still regretting not getting Ideon and Xabungle when I had the chance. There’s a ton of the classic mech series that I still have on my buy list that I fear could be in the same boat. Hopefully I can get those soon too soonish but Urusei Yatsura will come first for anime purchases this year.

Thanks for the link! Will be looking through that art today. One thing is nice is seeing lots of new Takahashi stuff online and in the wild these days. Really love all the merchandise on sale in Japan lately. Got a nice Lum figure from a gatchapon the other day in Akihabara and some Urusei Yatsura themed beans for setsubun coming up. Good time to be a fan of her works!
I regret not getting Ideon too. At the time I first starting increasing my retro anime collection from 2012 - 2016 ; I bought Discotek titles in bulk for very little. I figured Ideon and some other titles would just remain in print as I was not aware of how blu-ray was becoming less and streaming more. I do feel that's one factor in the reason print numbers are likley lower and it costs a fortune for Discotek to get these from licensing to a printed release.

That said, pre-orders here on RightStuf will be here this Spring but gone soon. I guess we can knock Gunbuster off the poll I posted in the thread...that's my Spring pick.

How much does a figure like that go for in rounded number (Yen)? I recently found a Banpresto store here in Mexico selling figures from retro titles for a fraction of what I've seen online. We've seen a lot of these stores popping up lately but nothing like what you'd find in Akihabara.

Last edited:

ranmafan

I regret not getting Ideon too. At the time I first starting increasing my retro anime collection from 2012 - 2016 ; I bought Discotek titles in bulk for very little. I figured Ideon and some other titles would just remain in print as I was not aware of how blu-ray was becoming less and streaming more. I do feel that's one factor in the reason print numbers are likley lower and it costs a fortune for Discotek to get these from licensing to a printed release.

That said, pre-orders here on RightStuf will be here this Spring but gone soon. I guess we can knock Gunbuster off the poll I posted in the thread...that's my Spring pick.

How much does a figure like that go for in rounded number (Yen)? I recently found a Banpresto store here in Mexico selling figures from retro titles for a fraction of what I've seen online. We've seen a lot of these stores popping up lately but nothing like what you'd find in Akihabara.

[/URL]
Missing out on Ideon did sting quite a bit. Even more so when there was word from the company releasing it on Reddit that the show was not OOP at all and thus would return, but that was like two years ago and there's been nothing in terms of an update. A shame, I'm ready to buy it the second it returns, if it does. Gunbuster is certainly a title I plan on not missing around this time for sure.

One thing I'm very happy for is RightStuf. They are so great at getting so many of these shows early and cheap. And even better, they ship to Japan, which I thought they might not do. Thankfully they do like Amazon. It's so nice to have easy access to anime on bluray with subtitles.

As for figures, the one I got was just from a gatchapon so it's just a small toy, although a very nice one, that was 400 yen. Depending on the quality the gatchapons go from 100 yen to as much as 1000 yen these days. As for figures, it really depends on what you want. If you go for a ufo catcher figure, which tend to be very nice, you can get those from secondhand stores anywhere from 1000 yen and up. Akiba has a lot of stores that sell these which is pretty cool. And of course, outside Akiba and Nakano for instance many places have great deals on old figures. However, the big new figures that are for sale though can cost a lot these days. I've had a few figures cost me as much as 20000 yen. Although they are of excellent quality and well worth it if you can afford it. These days I've decided to stop buying them, although I have two coming up that I preordered over a year ago that I am looking forward to from the Fire Emblem and Trails series. It's an expensive hobby, one that I'm going to take a break from and focus back on anime and games.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Missing out on Ideon did sting quite a bit. Even more so when there was word from the company releasing it on Reddit that the show was not OOP at all and thus would return, but that was like two years ago and there's been nothing in terms of an update. A shame, I'm ready to buy it the second it returns, if it does. Gunbuster is certainly a title I plan on not missing around this time for sure.

One thing I'm very happy for is RightStuf. They are so great at getting so many of these shows early and cheap. And even better, they ship to Japan, which I thought they might not do. Thankfully they do like Amazon. It's so nice to have easy access to anime on bluray with subtitles.

As for figures, the one I got was just from a gatchapon so it's just a small toy, although a very nice one, that was 400 yen. Depending on the quality the gatchapons go from 100 yen to as much as 1000 yen these days. As for figures, it really depends on what you want. If you go for a ufo catcher figure, which tend to be very nice, you can get those from secondhand stores anywhere from 1000 yen and up. Akiba has a lot of stores that sell these which is pretty cool. And of course, outside Akiba and Nakano for instance many places have great deals on old figures. However, the big new figures that are for sale though can cost a lot these days. I've had a few figures cost me as much as 20000 yen. Although they are of excellent quality and well worth it if you can afford it. These days I've decided to stop buying them, although I have two coming up that I preordered over a year ago that I am looking forward to from the Fire Emblem and Trails series. It's an expensive hobby, one that I'm going to take a break from and focus back on anime and games.
I missed some at the time 'in print' titles which I'm kicking myself for not picking up. For instance the "You're Under Arrest OVA and TV series" or one I complain about missing every other 5 pages in the thread...Maison Ikkoku the series. I never bought those when VIZ released on DVD. Went back to buy them in about 2017 and saw one season going for about $120 and the latter two seasons almost never available at all. I never picked up any and we'll have to see if it ever come out on blu-ray.

I liked RightStuf in the U.S. but in Mexico they don't disclose the amount of freight charges and slammed me last time I ordered from them in 2020 and thus ended out business abroad.

Seems like figures are relatively affordable. I don't have that much and am not much into anime fandom to buy many figures. However, wouldn't mind having a figure of Kenshiro or something like that. I've seen them sold here but for like $200. Not paying that much for a painted piece of plastic.

Do you know if the Outlanders OVA is still floating around on the used video market in Japan? The U.S. pricing is way out there for me. Another one I wanted before it went oop.

ranmafan

I missed some at the time 'in print' titles which I'm kicking myself for not picking up. For instance the "You're Under Arrest OVA and TV series" or one I complain about missing every other 5 pages in the thread...Maison Ikkoku the series. I never bought those when VIZ released on DVD. Went back to buy them in about 2017 and saw one season going for about $120 and the latter two seasons almost never available at all. I never picked up any and we'll have to see if it ever come out on blu-ray.

Do you know if the Outlanders OVA is still floating around on the used video market in Japan? The U.S. pricing is way out there for me. Another one I wanted before it went oop.
I really hope something good happens with Maison Ikkoku in the future. It deserves to be brought back. Always wanted that on a newer format.

Ah Outlanders, the first anime I rented from Blockbuster back in 1993 after rediscovering anime through many ways. That brings back memories. Did a quick search and it seems I can’t even find a release of it past LD in Japan, and that goes for around ¥10000 used it seems if you can find it. I never knew that got released on dvd in the west. Shame would’ve loved to have gotten it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I really hope something good happens with Maison Ikkoku in the future. It deserves to be brought back. Always wanted that on a newer format.

Ah Outlanders, the first anime I rented from Blockbuster back in 1993 after rediscovering anime through many ways. That brings back memories. Did a quick search and it seems I can’t even find a release of it past LD in Japan, and that goes for around ¥10000 used it seems if you can find it. I never knew that got released on dvd in the west. Shame would’ve loved to have gotten it.
I mean, it appears Maison Ikkoku was given a blu-ray release back in 2017...in JP. They look a little expense but if you pass by these, you should pick them up. What bothers me is Warner clearly approved these releases and yet didn't bother to release in North America / Europe (that I'm aware of).

It gets worse too...I've been doing some reading and apparently Discotek tried to buy the licensing rights to Maison Ikkoku and described them backing down as it was a "licensing nightmare." Then there's the story of VIZ's DVD release (the one I never had a chance to pick up). Apparently, the North American DVD release wasn't doing very well and they cut the print numbers to something insanely low. It fell out of print fast (like a year after they were introduced) and some seasons are almost unbuyable (like seasons 5 and up...I don't even see those on eBay). The few seasons that are out there are nothing short of about $300 + at this point. However, Warner should technically still have some sort of rights to the series and hopefully they will get there before physical is simple gone. That day will come unfortunately with the new demand for streaming and ease of access/affordability. Most I know have already sold off their physical collections. Even the anime fans have moved to streaming platforms.

Someone reminded me the same a few pages back that it doesn't sound like there's much hope that Outlanders will ever get picked up for blu-ray in the U.S. or elsewhere as the DVD apparently didn't sell very well. Still kicking myself as when I was buying back my anime collection in 2012, I recall seeing the Outlanders 20th anniversary DVD set on Amazon and thinking...nah. It was like $14.99 then. Right now, a used copy sells for like $100 on the low end and there isn't a great deal of sellers out there with it.

What are some cool release you have found in Japan which have yet to make it to the U.S.? I'm surprised you didn't get that first blu-ray remaster of Gunbuster in JP. It's oop as far as I know now but I know many here have that.

ranmafan

I mean, it appears Maison Ikkoku was given a blu-ray release back in 2017...in JP. They look a little expense but if you pass by these, you should pick them up. What bothers me is Warner clearly approved these releases and yet didn't bother to release in North America / Europe (that I'm aware of).

[/URL]

It gets worse too...I've been doing some reading and apparently Discotek tried to buy the licensing rights to Maison Ikkoku and described them backing down as it was a "licensing nightmare." Then there's the story of VIZ's DVD release (the one I never had a chance to pick up). Apparently, the North American DVD release wasn't doing very well and they cut the print numbers to something insanely low. It fell out of print fast (like a year after they were introduced) and some seasons are almost unbuyable (like seasons 5 and up...I don't even see those on eBay). The few seasons that are out there are nothing short of about $300 + at this point. However, Warner should technically still have some sort of rights to the series and hopefully they will get there before physical is simple gone. That day will come unfortunately with the new demand for streaming and ease of access/affordability. Most I know have already sold off their physical collections. Even the anime fans have moved to streaming platforms.

Someone reminded me the same a few pages back that it doesn't sound like there's much hope that Outlanders will ever get picked up for blu-ray in the U.S. or elsewhere as the DVD apparently didn't sell very well. Still kicking myself as when I was buying back my anime collection in 2012, I recall seeing the Outlanders 20th anniversary DVD set on Amazon and thinking...nah. It was like $14.99 then. Right now, a used copy sells for like $100 on the low end and there isn't a great deal of sellers out there with it.

What are some cool release you have found in Japan which have yet to make it to the U.S.? I'm surprised you didn't get that first blu-ray remaster of Gunbuster in JP. It's oop as far as I know now but I know many here have that.
In the past before I had kids, I would’ve considered getting Maison Ikkoku’s Japanese release but the prices are just way too much for me to spend on an anime release now a days. It was a big reason I had kinda dropped out of anime for a while. The prices, the region issues, difficulties buying disks from America at the time, and honestly bullying from former places of employment here I got from coworkers about my anime interests.

It wasn’t until 2020 or so I found out that the extra country codes on blurays implemented on many us releases to prevent playback in Japan aren’t activated on game machines, as well as my rediscovering my love of anime during the pandemic and the disappointment of being denied the chances to view the Tokyo Olympics that I started getting back into it. And I’m so glad I did, I really missed those nostalgic shows. Also I found many of the series I always wanted were for the most part only found in the us now on disk. And of course cheaper was better, especially for series that uses the same transfers.

I haven’t gotten many anime releases exclusive to Japan at the moment to be honest, although that’s something I do have for games. Although anime wise I did pick up some series used recently. The Ys OVAs for instance as well as the Akenobashi comedy series which may have released in the west a long time ago. I also picked up a bunch of live action anime/manga dramas which I don’t know if they are available in the west or not. So yeah not much at the moment but I may change that soon once I start to go farther down what I want to get into my collection. Especially series that have appeared in Super Robot Taisen.

It’s a shame about Maison Ikkoku and its licensing nightmares. Hopefully something can be done to fix that in the future.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
In the past before I had kids, I would’ve considered getting Maison Ikkoku’s Japanese release but the prices are just way too much for me to spend on an anime release now a days. It was a big reason I had kinda dropped out of anime for a while. The prices, the region issues, difficulties buying disks from America at the time, and honestly bullying from former places of employment here I got from coworkers about my anime interests.

It wasn’t until 2020 or so I found out that the extra country codes on blurays implemented on many us releases to prevent playback in Japan aren’t activated on game machines, as well as my rediscovering my love of anime during the pandemic and the disappointment of being denied the chances to view the Tokyo Olympics that I started getting back into it. And I’m so glad I did, I really missed those nostalgic shows. Also I found many of the series I always wanted were for the most part only found in the us now on disk. And of course cheaper was better, especially for series that uses the same transfers.

I haven’t gotten many anime releases exclusive to Japan at the moment to be honest, although that’s something I do have for games. Although anime wise I did pick up some series used recently. The Ys OVAs for instance as well as the Akenobashi comedy series which may have released in the west a long time ago. I also picked up a bunch of live action anime/manga dramas which I don’t know if they are available in the west or not. So yeah not much at the moment but I may change that soon once I start to go farther down what I want to get into my collection. Especially series that have appeared in Super Robot Taisen.

It’s a shame about Maison Ikkoku and its licensing nightmares. Hopefully something can be done to fix that in the future.
What's availability like for multi-region blu-ray/DVD players out there. I found 2 of them here and am able to play a number of titles from different regions. In Mexico, they're mostly using Region 4 which won't play in a traditional Region 1 DVD player. I did notice that some Discotek blu-rays (most) have Region A only which is odd. Sounds like you did find some gems those regardless. Price stopped me in recent years. In the late 2000's, many of the anime titles seemed to level out in price. However, that price increase started as soon as the older publishers in North America started either liquidated or otherwise.

kunonabi

This Lupin III VS Cat's Eye special is depressing. It's so damn good but it's really let down by the atrocious cg animation.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This Lupin III VS Cat's Eye special is depressing. It's so damn good but it's really let down by the atrocious cg animation.
Many things would be great had CG not replaced traditional animation. I would even prefer stop motion claymation to the CG we have now. Was this a story that was written recently?

kunonabi

Many things would be great had CG not replaced traditional animation. I would even prefer stop motion claymation to the CG we have now. Was this a story that was written recently?
I imagine so it's since a dual anniversary project. I get that Lupin has been pretty busy lately with part 6, 0, etc. so something had to give somewhere but it's such a fun ride that would have benefited a lot from not having a bunch of expressionless dolls jerking around.

ranmafan

What's availability like for multi-region blu-ray/DVD players out there. I found 2 of them here and am able to play a number of titles from different regions. In Mexico, they're mostly using Region 4 which won't play in a traditional Region 1 DVD player. I did notice that some Discotek blu-rays (most) have Region A only which is odd. Sounds like you did find some gems those regardless. Price stopped me in recent years. In the late 2000's, many of the anime titles seemed to level out in price. However, that price increase started as soon as the older publishers in North America started either liquidated or otherwise.

Haven’t checked lately on multi region players after finding out the country codes not being used in PlayStations and xbox machines, but I do notice Amazon japan sells some Sony ones for a high price. Might have to get one one day for some non anime European shows.

I see Discotek is having an announcement day today. Hoping to see news on when Urusei Yatsura releases. Would also be nice to get a Kodocha season 2 update. Hopefully their new licenses will be nice surprises.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Haven’t checked lately on multi region players after finding out the country codes not being used in PlayStations and xbox machines, but I do notice Amazon japan sells some Sony ones for a high price. Might have to get one one day for some non anime European shows.

I see Discotek is having an announcement day today. Hoping to see news on when Urusei Yatsura releases. Would also be nice to get a Kodocha season 2 update. Hopefully their new licenses will be nice surprises.
I never saw Kodocha. Is that something I'd regret not buying when the physical market for video eventually collapses? Likewise looking for Urusei Yatsura updates. Almost seems like they mentioned it being a steelbook release.

kunonabi

I never saw Kodocha. Is that something I'd regret not buying when the physical market for video eventually collapses? Likewise looking for Urusei Yatsura updates. Almost seems like they mentioned it being a steelbook release.
Kodocha is one of the divine treasures as far my circle of friends go. I absolutely adore it and still have my extra fancy fansub VHS tapes sitting around.

ranmafan

Even though I have the bluray I still have only seen as far as the original Kodocha fan sub group did it (going to binge this as soon as I can) and it’s a hilarious show. One of those late 90s gems. I hear it loses its appeal after a while but I’m still a fan.

I see Discotek annouced all three things I wanted for April/spring with UY, Gaogaigar final, and Kodocha. I hope some details about the uy release comes out. I really want to know how many episodes in the set and the price.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Kodocha is one of the divine treasures as far my circle of friends go. I absolutely adore it and still have my extra fancy fansub VHS tapes sitting around.
Even though I have the bluray I still have only seen as far as the original Kodocha fan sub group did it (going to binge this as soon as I can) and it’s a hilarious show. One of those late 90s gems. I hear it loses its appeal after a while but I’m still a fan.

I see Discotek annouced all three things I wanted for April/spring with UY, Gaogaigar final, and Kodocha. I hope some details about the uy release comes out. I really want to know how many episodes in the set and the price.
I miss seeing media in this thread. Now, I've never seen an episode of Kodocha. Never saw many things from the 90's although I did buy something 90's recently which I may like or regret. I checked our Mexico Amazon and it's there at a pretty good price. But, I need to be sold first. Keep in mind, I watch my anime with my wife. I've shown her certain anime which bored her. She's watching Hokuto no Ken TV for the first time and really enjoys it. Then again, she's a huge Bruce Lee fan, Stallone fan (he does resemble Stallone). She the media. If RetroCrush had clips on it, please post.

ranmafan

Hard to find Kodocha clips in Japanese but here's the first episode from the old, compromised Funimation DVD:

Wow this is the first time I’ve actually seen this since I boycotted this release over the missing audio. Made me so mad when they snuck that out without saying really anything about it too. Thankfully reviewers caught it before I bought it. So glad Discotek was somehow able to deal with the issue, and considering how Johnnys Entertainment is, I’m surprised they were able to.

kunonabi

Wow this is the first time I’ve actually seen this since I boycotted this release over the missing audio. Made me so mad when they snuck that out without saying really anything about it too. Thankfully reviewers caught it before I bought it. So glad Discotek was somehow able to deal with the issue, and considering how Johnnys Entertainment is, I’m surprised they were able to.
I had no idea about the changes so I'm glad it was too pricey to pick up. I'd have been really pissed to waste all that money.

ranmafan

I had no idea about the changes so I'm glad it was too pricey to pick up. I'd have been really pissed to waste all that money.
Yeah I remember when it came out no one knew until reviews came out that word of the missing audio was revealed. There was a claim that it was mentioned at some convention before release but I never was able to find such info back then. I remember so many people were frustrated by it and ended up not picking up the series including myself. I can deal with the change in opening and ending themes but never removing audio from the show itself. Of course I blame Johnnys for this. They are so crazy about these things to the point they get tv guide covers censored on Amazon japan if there are any of their idols on the cover. Also sucks as one of my favorite themes, Inu Yasha’s “Change the world” isn’t even available on the streams of the show in Japan. Like before I can deal with that, but it’s annoying.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Hard to find Kodocha clips in Japanese but here's the first episode from the old, compromised Funimation DVD:

When I was reading up on it yesterday, I saw two things: 1. It's clearly the creator of Marmalade Boy and 2. Funimation for reasons unknown (maybe they're known but I didn't see it); they never released the complete series.
So, who botched the audio? Was it from the JP source or was it Funimation? Speaking in past tense.
I never buy anything incomplete. I was looking at the expensive oop "You're Under Arrest" boxsets. There were only two and then there's Ghost Sweep Mikami. I wanted those and I think they're complete but can't tell. It's not worth the possible loss. Hoping both are not in some kind of licensing limbo and can get picked up by Discotek.
Yeah I remember when it came out no one knew until reviews came out that word of the missing audio was revealed. There was a claim that it was mentioned at some convention before release but I never was able to find such info back then. I remember so many people were frustrated by it and ended up not picking up the series including myself. I can deal with the change in opening and ending themes but never removing audio from the show itself. Of course I blame Johnnys for this. They are so crazy about these things to the point they get tv guide covers censored on Amazon japan if there are any of their idols on the cover. Also sucks as one of my favorite themes, Inu Yasha’s “Change the world” isn’t even available on the streams of the show in Japan. Like before I can deal with that, but it’s annoying.
I know where you can find some of that stuff that's censored but won't post here. Who are Johnnys? Sorry for being naive on that.

ranmafan

When I was reading up on it yesterday, I saw two things: 1. It's clearly the creator of Marmalade Boy and 2. Funimation for reasons unknown (maybe they're known but I didn't see it); they never released the complete series.

So, who botched the audio? Was it from the JP source or was it Funimation? Speaking in past tense.

I never buy anything incomplete. I was looking at the expensive oop "You're Under Arrest" boxsets. There were only two and then there's Ghost Sweep Mikami. I wanted those and I think they're complete but can't tell. It's not worth the possible loss. Hoping both are not in some kind of licensing limbo and can get picked up by Discotek.

I know where you can find some of that stuff that's censored but won't post here. Who are Johnnys? Sorry for being naive on that.
Johnny’s Entertainment aka Johnny & Associates are Japans biggest boy idol band company. They basically have almost a complete monopoly on the market and have had for decades. All the big names over the years, SMAP, v6, Tokio, etc. when you see a Japanese boy band, it’s almost certainly a part of that company.

Kodocha’s original theme song was sung by one of their groups Tokio. When Kodocha was brought to the us they were still a popular group and the word is that the rights fees and demands of those behind the scenes were beyond reasonable. So the company that had the us rights to Kodocha at the time replaced the original opening with the second opening in order to avoid the rights issue.

But there was another problem. In episode one there’s a short scene we’re Sana the main character runs into one of Tokio’s main members and thanks him for performing the song while it’s played in the background. One of the actual members of Tokio voiced this scene. Because of that it was a scene that couldn’t be included cause of the rights issues with Johnny’s. So the solution was as you can see in the video to remove the entire audio from the scene and to censor the subtitles to avoid saying who it was. It was a crazy decision that had to be made, and one that angered fans cause practically no one knew until disks were already being mailed out. It wasn’t a popular decision and many people refused to buy it due to the missing audio.

I’ve always wondered why Discotek were able to get the original opening back as well as keep the audio in. My best guess is that Tokio is no longer together due to scandals and hiatus, and probably is no longer a priority for Johnnys but it’s still quite an interesting story that I would love to hear the full details behind.

But yeah even today they still are very controlling of their brands. To the point that there were rumors that the game Judgement which stars a former member of SMAP was being denied a pc port due to Johnnys rights issues.

But thankfully Kodocha situation had a happy ending all these years later. Now if only something could be done to get the Neil Sedaka/Zeta Gundam rights issues fixed one day.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Johnny’s Entertainment aka Johnny & Associates are Japans biggest boy idol band company. They basically have almost a complete monopoly on the market and have had for decades. All the big names over the years, SMAP, v6, Tokio, etc. when you see a Japanese boy band, it’s almost certainly a part of that company.

Kodocha’s original theme song was sung by one of their groups Tokio. When Kodocha was brought to the us they were still a popular group and the word is that the rights fees and demands of those behind the scenes were beyond reasonable. So the company that had the us rights to Kodocha at the time replaced the original opening with the second opening in order to avoid the rights issue.

But there was another problem. In episode one there’s a short scene we’re Sana the main character runs into one of Tokio’s main members and thanks him for performing the song while it’s played in the background. One of the actual members of Tokio voiced this scene. Because of that it was a scene that couldn’t be included cause of the rights issues with Johnny’s. So the solution was as you can see in the video to remove the entire audio from the scene and to censor the subtitles to avoid saying who it was. It was a crazy decision that had to be made, and one that angered fans cause practically no one knew until disks were already being mailed out. It wasn’t a popular decision and many people refused to buy it due to the missing audio.

I’ve always wondered why Discotek were able to get the original opening back as well as keep the audio in. My best guess is that Tokio is no longer together due to scandals and hiatus, and probably is no longer a priority for Johnnys but it’s still quite an interesting story that I would love to hear the full details behind.

But yeah even today they still are very controlling of their brands. To the point that there were rumors that the game Judgement which stars a former member of SMAP was being denied a pc port due to Johnnys rights issues.

But thankfully Kodocha situation had a happy ending all these years later. Now if only something could be done to get the Neil Sedaka/Zeta Gundam rights issues fixed one day.
That's quite a story there. I'm well aware that in most countries that any movie using an original recording from a pop artist has to pay millions to get the rights to distribution. Glad Discotek was able to release this in it's original format. Hiding the Tokio member by screwing with the subs sounds like how they changed the subs in Angel Cop (the last episode) to make it seem like they were angry at "American Corporations." When in reality they were assuming no one spoke Japanese and wouldn't catch the fact that the actual dialogue was demonizing "Jewish bankers" as the ones who threated global collapse.

Speaking of titles which are unreleased possibly due to similar reasons...there's Cipher. Not sure why anyone in the West would demand the release considering it never had a VHS release that I'm aware of either. But I've always wondered where they got the money to buy all the tracks that play in the background. Seems like they did try using alternate takes of the pop tracks. For instance, the ending theme "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins is not the studio/single version. It sounds like a live version and I'm not even 100% it's Phil Collins maybe due to the poor processing of the audio.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
One of the all time greats of anime, Leiji Matsumoto has died at 85.

Nhk Leiji Matsumoto Death

Anime News Network - Leiji Matsumoto Death

Easily one of my all time favorites in the anime and manga world and such a huge influence on the industry. As a huge Captain Harlock fan and Yamato fan, this hits hard. I think I might watch “Arcadia of my Youth” in his memory this week. RIP
I'm really out of touch. Looks like he passed away back on the 13th. Still a great loss but looking at the greats...they're all getting up there in age. He accomplished an incredible amount in his active years. Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock are my two favorite Matsumoto series. The Cockpit's another great one he wrote along with Kawajiri (who directed the OVA).

Fl4SSEZ.jpg

He was very front facing with fans as you can see above and fortunately, many did get a chance to meet him in the West. There are some great interviews I'd post too but the majority are subbed in Italian or French. I understand Italian and a little French. If anyone else does -- I'll share because those are the best interviews.

Chastten

Banned
Always sad to hear but still, that's a nice age. Just checking his works I haven't seen a whole lot of it personally, but I still own Fire Force DNA Sights 999.9 and Insterstellar 5555 on DVD from back in the day. I'm still fond of especially the latter.

ranmafan

goehh7t.jpg

So the day has finally arrived! I’ve been waiting for this set for ages and thankfully I was able to get it early again thanks to Discotek releasing early at certain places. And with just a quick look through it’s nice to see the quality as expected with Discotek releases is there in force. And having the animeigo subs is a big plus.

Still amazes me that they can cram 54 episode into such a small package and for a small price. I still remember the days of getting the videos from animeigo for insane prices, as well as the first dvd set through preorder from them way back in 2000. Glad to see the series back. And another step closer to completing my blu ray collection conversion.

Now I just need to start a big marathon of watching all my shows I’ve obtained lately. Thinking of doing a weekly one episode per series anime night like my old college anime club days. Would be nice to recreate that old atmosphere again.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
goehh7t.jpg

So the day has finally arrived! I’ve been waiting for this set for ages and thankfully I was able to get it early again thanks to Discotek releasing early at certain places. And with just a quick look through it’s nice to see the quality as expected with Discotek releases is there in force. And having the animeigo subs is a big plus.

Still amazes me that they can cram 54 episode into such a small package and for a small price. I still remember the days of getting the videos from animeigo for insane prices, as well as the first dvd set through preorder from them way back in 2000. Glad to see the series back. And another step closer to completing my blu ray collection conversion.

Now I just need to start a big marathon of watching all my shows I’ve obtained lately. Thinking of doing a weekly one episode per series anime night like my old college anime club days. Would be nice to recreate that old atmosphere again.
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Feel free to upload some screenshot comparisons of this to the AnimeEigo release. I'm eager to see how it all turned out.

I'm not surprised they were able to compact all episodes given the amount that can be stored on a single blu-ray.

How many discs?

Still debating on getting this now or waiting for the remainder of volumes to be released. I'm still burnt that Gunbuster's blu-ray keeps getting pushed back.

ranmafan

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Feel free to upload some screenshot comparisons of this to the AnimeEigo release. I'm eager to see how it all turned out.

I'm not surprised they were able to compact all episodes given the amount that can be stored on a single blu-ray.

How many discs?

Still debating on getting this now or waiting for the remainder of volumes to be released. I'm still burnt that Gunbuster's blu-ray keeps getting pushed back.
I’ll try and find my animeigo disks and try to get some pictures posted. I think I have at least one of my disks in Japan that I brought with me. I wanna also try to compare with the disks and the official streams in Japan to see if anything is missing. Seemed like one episode might be missing an eye catch but the official stream of that episode cut out the next episode preview too unlike the disks so maybe I’m just misremembering. Or maybe just each version is slightly different. Also I know from the ranma sets that the Japanese master videos had some changes made to them when reordering the episode numbers so it’s no biggie.

Set 1 has 54 episodes spread over five disks and it’s supposed to be four sets in total I’ve read. I would’ve liked to have seen the series spread out over maybe six or more disks instead like the Japanese release but the quality is fantastic so I’m sure they are using up all the space on the disk to keep up the quality.

For me while of course I know bluray can hold so many episodes, it’s still a shock to see how far we have come from the 90s with four episodes per videotape for $40 to having 54 episodes in a package smaller than one tape for $80. That just still wows me to this day.

One thing to mention about the set, no extras. Discotek had mentioned this already so it’s not a surprise to me, but might be for others. Would’ve been nice to have some openings/endings or cms on the disks but I’m fine without them too.

I’m hoping that Gunbuster release shows up soon too. If like previous Discotek releases we should be seeing it at rightstuf and other stores in a couple of weeks. I’m excited for that one too, it’s on my pile of shame list of never seen anime. Going to make sure to change that this time.

ranmafan

So as promised here is a couple of pics I took of the uy dvd and bluray. The old animeigo dvd has the pause logo on the screen the discotek blu ray does not (extra note, i may have made a mistake in the framing on the dvd due to my cheap region 1 player which may explain why its zoomed in a little at the bottom but I’m not sure):
rU7spbe.jpg
pYzfKBS.jpg

Sorry I couldn’t take direct pictures and had to use my phone. But as you can see it’s a remarkable improvement in quality. Even more so when you look at it in person. Oh and if you are wondering why I picked this scene, well I actually have the cel from this scene although mine is a few frames after which I couldn’t get to pause quite right sadly. (Mainly cause my region 1 player is a cheap region free machine that just barely works).

Also good news I was indeed mistaken regarding a missing eye catch. Nothing is missing from the release thankfully. Overall from what I’ve watched another fantastic Discotek release, one truly worthy for one of the GOATs of the anime world.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So as promised here is a couple of pics I took of the uy dvd and bluray. The old animeigo dvd has the pause logo on the screen the discotek blu ray does not (extra note, i may have made a mistake in the framing on the dvd due to my cheap region 1 player which may explain why its zoomed in a little at the bottom but I’m not sure):
rU7spbe.jpg
pYzfKBS.jpg

Sorry I couldn’t take direct pictures and had to use my phone. But as you can see it’s a remarkable improvement in quality. Even more so when you look at it in person. Oh and if you are wondering why I picked this scene, well I actually have the cel from this scene although mine is a few frames after which I couldn’t get to pause quite right sadly. (Mainly cause my region 1 player is a cheap region free machine that just barely works).

Also good news I was indeed mistaken regarding a missing eye catch. Nothing is missing from the release thankfully. Overall from what I’ve watched another fantastic Discotek release, one truly worthy for one of the GOATs of the anime world.
Unless I'm not mistaken, if you at the first image from the DVDs -- you'll notice the cropping. The color tone was a much lesser saturation and the DVDs were clearly never formatted to 16:9. You'll notice in the below image Lum's knees. They're completely cropped out of the DVD version but looks like Discotek worked from the negatives to produce the blu-ray. I'm really surprised this happened. I thought that Urusei Yatsura had simply been abandoned after it's brief DVD release. I'll commend the fact that AnimeEigo typically worked with Japanese dialogue releases and had better subtitling. However, nearly every early anime release from the early 2000's was cropped. The blu-ray we have to appreciate that it will be the last great physical release available on the N.A. market.

Thank you ranmafan ranmafan for taking the time to sync the scenes and give this comparison too. Enjoy the set and store in a high & dry place. I only discovered recently that blu-ray is susceptible to disc rot. Although I'm not clear how it happens. I've mentioned this in the thread before but my Kimagure Orange Road TV blu-ray set from Discotek was sold to me with a dead disc 4. The forth disc had nothing cosmetic in terms of scratches and it was determined to be disc rot (every practical method to remove it was tried as it leaves me with an incomplete set and I had to download the episodes from that disc to compensate...)

Also, have to appreciate the fact that you too had the patience and money to purchase a series during the VHS era. During the VHS era, I bought strictly OVAs & Movies. Although I recall in the year 2000 a few TV boxsets sold half price and I bought those 26 episode sets (2 sets w/ 4 tapes in a box). As we all know, individual dub tapes 'new' sold for $20 and subs would range from $30 - $40 per tape as you mentioned. That also brings us back to Urusei Yatsura. The source for the DVDs was clearly the same as the VHS. The VHS release was an erroneously large 25 VHS and the additional you can identify in this image are the movies and such. This was not my collection as I simply could not afford to buy it on VHS. So, put this in perspective to the blu-ray release and it really makes you appreciate how things have improved in this particular case.

K5KAhyT.jpg

Valonquar

Those UY VHS were my local video store's first foray into renting out anime stuff. It was the first 8 volumes of UY, Clash of the Bionoids (Macross DYRL with magical English dub) and Fist of the North Star.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Those UY VHS were my local video store's first foray into renting out anime stuff. It was the first 8 volumes of UY, Clash of the Bionoids (Macross DYRL with magical English dub) and Fist of the North Star.
Yeah, that was nice when local stores had an anime section on VHS. I never rented but I bought plenty of tapes when those places started going out of business in the early 2000's. That was bliss given you'd get a subbed VHS in shrink wrap for $10. Sounds expensive but DVD didn't ramp up with retro anime until like 2002.

I'd take anything Urusei Yatsura now if I could. My budget for anime is no more than $50 given I do have bigger expenses. I'm open to trades though if anyone ever happens to want to do that via DM. I'm in Mexico but have been trading ever since I moved down here 7-years ago.

Fist of the North Star and U.Y. are just a headache to imagine at a rental store. Each would have respectively been like 20 + VHS' to get through the full series. I recall many stores not having every volume too and online shopping still missing much of the inventory we have today. Although, Macross: DYRL has sorta vanished after it's DVD release. I'm sure someone's already stated why in a previous post but I have doubts of it ever making it's way to blu-ray.

ranmafan

UY vhs at retail was something I remember only seeing rarely and when I did it always put a smile on my face. I’ve always felt the show never got the full attention it deserved, and certainly its expensive release didn’t help that. For me I was only able to get a few releases of it at the time. Mostly the first few tv volumes and movies, and most of those came through mail order. I hated the wait on those two, 6-8 weeks for delivery. I can’t imagine going through that again today.

Certainly going to be keeping my disks in a good place and condition to avoid any chance of disk rot. That’s something I noticed interestingly with dvd. The only disks I’ve ever had that have broken or rotted were anime releases. Weird.

I do wonder when the macross releases we are supposed to be getting in the west will start happening. Hopefully DYRL is a part of it. I could get the Japanese release but I would love to get the western one too.

ranmafan

Gunbuster ova theatrical showing Japan

Ohh this is tempting. I kinda want to go see this on the big screen but hopefully, considering Discotek’s usual release pattern, I’ll already have the Blu-Ray in my hand by then. Plus it won’t be shown in my part of Japan (usually smaller showings like this skip my town) which means going to Tokyo to see it, not to mention the ticket prices will be insane. Would cost like four times as much to see it on film than the bluray. Still nice to see showings like this happening here.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Gunbuster ova theatrical showing Japan

Ohh this is tempting. I kinda want to go see this on the big screen but hopefully, considering Discotek’s usual release pattern, I’ll already have the Blu-Ray in my hand by then. Plus it won’t be shown in my part of Japan (usually smaller showings like this skip my town) which means going to Tokyo to see it, not to mention the ticket prices will be insane. Would cost like four times as much to see it on film than the bluray. Still nice to see showings like this happening here.
Go. They will not show it in theaters again in our lifetime. It's worth the train or traffic and inflated ticket prices. Anyone can buy the blu-ray but showing a retro title on the big screen is rare (unless it's something Ghibli)

ranmafan

Go. They will not show it in theaters again in our lifetime. It's worth the train or traffic and inflated ticket prices. Anyone can buy the blu-ray but showing a retro title on the big screen is rare (unless it's something Ghibli)
Normally I would seriously consider it but with all the other expenses and other plans for big events I want to go to in Japan this year with the family, it’s going to have to be a pass. But that’s ok, I’ll have other great things to go to. I’ll still thankfully be able to enjoy it on my nice huge oled. Also got a very nice half price discount at my western anime release import store on it that made me very happy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's one year past the range op set but I've been revisiting Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex. I really liked it back then and it's still pretty compelling now. The animation mostly holds up sans that bizarre cg in the opening. The music might Yokko Kannos best outside of Bebop.
I think it's not quite as smart as it thinks it is but it's still a fun detective/cop type show.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Normally I would seriously consider it but with all the other expenses and other plans for big events I want to go to in Japan this year with the family, it’s going to have to be a pass. But that’s ok, I’ll have other great things to go to. I’ll still thankfully be able to enjoy it on my nice huge oled. Also got a very nice half price discount at my western anime release import store on it that made me very happy.
Family first and now that Japan is more lenient on those not so long past COVID restrictions; there'd have to be a lot to see.

Maybe have a friend go in and check it out at least.

Speaking of the blu-ray, the release is set for May, right? The Amazon Mexico store hasn't put it into inventory yet though. They managed to get everything else there early (for instance -- Urusei Yatsura part 1 blu-ray set has been there a few weeks). I check every week. If you're wondering why I don't buy from the U.S. store too...it's an additional $22 + for shipping, freight and import taxes.

ranmafan

Family first and now that Japan is more lenient on those not so long past COVID restrictions; there'd have to be a lot to see.

Maybe have a friend go in and check it out at least.

Speaking of the blu-ray, the release is set for May, right? The Amazon Mexico store hasn't put it into inventory yet though. They managed to get everything else there early (for instance -- Urusei Yatsura part 1 blu-ray set has been there a few weeks). I check every week. If you're wondering why I don't buy from the U.S. store too...it's an additional $22 + for shipping, freight and import taxes.
Yeah finally after so long things are getting better here with the restrictions and events are all back to normal, for the most part. Still upset about losing out on going to the Olympics which was my life long dream. Finally get tickets and have them taken away just two weeks before the event. 40 years of waiting to go and then that. Sigh.

Anyway back to anime. Yes looks like everything is ago for may 29th it seems for Gunbuster. I wonder if that theatrical release had anything to do with the delay. I’ve seen it up at Amazon us for sure. Was going to get it through them but my local importer has a great points rewards system that I take advantage of quite often. Hoping like other releases that it comes in early. I have never seen it before so I’m looking forward to finally plugging in that hole in my anime backlog.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah finally after so long things are getting better here with the restrictions and events are all back to normal, for the most part. Still upset about losing out on going to the Olympics which was my life long dream. Finally get tickets and have them taken away just two weeks before the event. 40 years of waiting to go and then that. Sigh.

Anyway back to anime. Yes looks like everything is ago for may 29th it seems for Gunbuster. I wonder if that theatrical release had anything to do with the delay. I’ve seen it up at Amazon us for sure. Was going to get it through them but my local importer has a great points rewards system that I take advantage of quite often. Hoping like other releases that it comes in early. I have never seen it before so I’m looking forward to finally plugging in that hole in my anime backlog.
Restrictions messed up many cool things but it had to happen. I had a chance to see Alien '79 Director's cut in a top notch cinema in April 2020; all that was cancelled...anyway but to the topic.

By the way, if you ever see Outlanders (the '86 OVA) at a low price; DM me. Used copies going for over $60 + right now and I figure if they had any type of mass print at a lower price; it'd be worth the import. Just as long as I knew where to buy from.

I'll add Gunbuster to my cart as soon as my local Amazon puts updates it to their catalog. Hopefully this week...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just got the notice that my copy of Gunbuster will arrive tomorrow, at the same time as Zelda. Darn what do I enjoy first? One things for sure, Friday night is going to be an awesome night!
Going to be enjoying TotK more to be honest given how long it'll run. I'd set aside GunBuster so you have good time to watch it specially in one run. My local store still hasn't listed it and it may take them some month. I've been checking weekly though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Updated the blu-ray poll with an extra choice or too. The poll is somewhat stationary since 2021 and a few of those have been given N.A. blu-ray releases since.

Just checking to make sure the lights are still on.

One Punch Man vs. One Thousand Punch Man...Retro Anime 2023
gqmGkPj.png

Labolas

Watched Parasite Dolls. Didn't know it was related to the Bubblegum Crisis series. This feels like it set in different from either Bubblegum Crisis series though, but it's still a decent and short watch.
iu

Last edited:
Top Bottom