• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

hope mega's not gone long

So, I have PSVR... and this is the second time I've ever felt the "Super Mario 64" moment in my entire life. WOW.

My mind is completely blown. I know this is off topic... but posted it here because I feel like this is how gaming used to be at the start of every new generation back in the retro days.

It feels completely new and is the first "next gen" feeling I've had in probably 10 years.

as someone else who firmly recalls that moment with Mario 64 in high school: shit, man! getting really excited over here for this

Peltz

hope mega's not gone long

as someone else who firmly recalls that moment with Mario 64 in high school: shit, man! getting really excited over here for this

I just spent another hour and a half in PSVR tonight... and I firmly stand behind my statement. It's the real deal.

televator

Speaking of old games and VR, y'all have seen New Retro Arcade, right? It's a VR app that lets you play libretro emulators in a UE4 arcade space.

newriftarcade-oculus-rift-arcande-3.jpg

It has insanely good material work and the controllers respond to your inputs and stuff. Lean in and you can see scanline effects on the CRT games.

Back when I last tried it it wasn't the most accurate thing, due to the cheeseball default arcade scene and issues with HMD refresh rate adaptation and sound, but I think it's a neat concept. I could picture future emulation via VR involving full box recreations of games (with scanned and modeled manuals, carts, registration cards, etc), consoles, even CRT televisions with accurate subtleties if the headset is advanced enough. Obviously arcade games would be well-represented, too (in fact, outside of actual CRT displays, light gun games are theoretically best represented in VR right now).

The possibilities...

Mega got banned!?

Probably something from that Palmer Lucky thread. Hope it's a temp-ban.

Yeah that looks like where he got it. Any type of "wait and see" sentiment can get you banned depending on the day and they have been especially hard on it for a while. Let it be a lesson to you all, do not stray to off topic.

I've finally thrown in the towel on my Supergrafx. Whatever the problem is with it, no one can seem to figure it out and the seller is happy to refund my money (probably should have just done that in the first place!)
Not sure if I'll go after a replacement console at the moment, I'll keep my eyes out to see if a fairly inexpensive one pops up preferably in England just so I don't have to send another package back to Japan!

On the brighter side of Supergrafx stuff, my Capcom Supergrafx collection is now complete:

image by gouki16uk, on Flickr

I found a complete copy of 1941 and had to have it for my collection, even if my POS console doesn't work (and hey, its great motivation for me to get a new console one day). For now though I'll stick to Supergrafx emulation, the emu I use looks great when configured correctly and my SFIV TE arcade stick feels great. Oh, and also pictured is Captain Commando, still waiting on Parcel Force for my SFC copy...

Galdelico

Wow... Do you mind me asking where you get such a fantastic looking copy of Cap Commando for the PS1? On eBay, it goes for crazy prices even without its spine card... :/

Peltz

Wow... Do you mind me asking where you get such a fantastic looking copy of Cap Commando for the PS1? On eBay, it goes for crazy prices even without its spine card... :/

I didn't even realize he had his own game. I thought he was just a MvC guy.

It was an eBay purchase, wasn't cheap though!

I didn't even realize he had his own game. I thought he was just a MvC guy.

All the characters from the original Marvel Vs Capcom are from actual Capcom games or Marvel comics - even the slightly more obscure helper characters like Saki (from one of Capcom's quiz games), Lou (Wonder 3), Forgotten Solider (Forgotten Worlds) etc. Its also worth noting that Captain Commando was actually first a corporate mascot for Capcom (America?) - you can find him on the back of many of Capcom NES titles, however his design was completely different.
Also, Captain Commando is technically a (spiritual) sequel to Final Fight. Both games are set in Metro City, and you can find stone busts of former Mayor/Wrestler Mike Hagger in CC. Its a pretty great side scrolling fighter, well worth a try. Its on the second Capcom Classics Collection disk if you want to play it without emulating or paying out a ton for one of the ports.

Anyway, moved onto the next Capcom game in my list to play - Samurai Sword. Its a graphical adventure title - you choose from a menu where you want to go and what you want to examine etc. and you have to use the right items/options to figure out the games puzzles. Granted, I'm playing a translated version of the game, and I'm not one to play these types of games usually but it seems fairly rough in many places - some of the option choices don't make sense, and the menu system is super clunky. Plus some of the solutions are fairly obtuse, the game makes you jump through hoops to do what I'd have thought would be fairly straight forward commands.
Also, this is definitely one of those games that is impossible to play without decent knowledge of Japanese. I can usually get through most Japanese games regardless of the genre fairly easily but thanks to the clunky menu system its next to impossible to do this, so its great news that a translated rom exists.

Galdelico

Its on the second Capcom Classics Collection disk if you want to play it without emulating or paying out a ton for one of the ports.

Unfortunately, since the second CCC never got a Japanese relase, there's a little downside in playing the game on there, and that's you're stuck to its 'world'/western ROM, which I remember being slightly censored, compared to the Japanese original (I'm saying that out of memories, and without double checking, but I'm fairly sure about it).

Unfortunately, since the second CCC never got a Japanese relase, there's a little downside in playing the game on there, and that's you're stuck to its 'world'/western ROM, which I remember being slightly censored, compared to the Japanese original (I'm saying that out of memories, and without double checking, but I'm fairly sure about it).

For sure, the violence is toned down and of course the final boss is renamed from "Genocide" to "Scumocide"!

Galdelico

Yeah, I just double checked, and on the PS2, there seems to be no blood, for instance, replaced by purple dust. I don't know if the western arcade is as heavily cut as the SNES port, though.

I'll let you know once I get round to playing CC, should only take me a couple of months to reach it!

Anyway, I finished off Samurai Sword. Its really short, even by retro gaming standards. And that's with me fumbling through trying to figure out the correct ways of doing certain bits in the game. Its ok, not really all that amazing graphically, or gameplay wise and the story is ok at best.
The puzzles suck sometimes though, as it forces you to do things in completely the right order - even if you figure out the puzzle ahead of time if you try doing things slightly out of order the game will just ignore you! And the menus are still damn annoying throughout the entire game. I don't really think anything of value was missed by not bringing this over.

Timu

Yeah that looks like where he got it. Any type of "wait and see" sentiment can get you banned depending on the day and they have been especially hard on it for a while. Let it be a lesson to you all, do not stray to off topic.
I go to off topic often and never get banned...I guess it depends on how you respond on certain topics.

I've finally thrown in the towel on my Supergrafx. Whatever the problem is with it, no one can seem to figure it out and the seller is happy to refund my money (probably should have just done that in the first place!)
Not sure if I'll go after a replacement console at the moment, I'll keep my eyes out to see if a fairly inexpensive one pops up preferably in England just so I don't have to send another package back to Japan!

On the brighter side of Supergrafx stuff, my Capcom Supergrafx collection is now complete:

image by gouki16uk, on Flickr

I found a complete copy of 1941 and had to have it for my collection, even if my POS console doesn't work (and hey, its great motivation for me to get a new console one day). For now though I'll stick to Supergrafx emulation, the emu I use looks great when configured correctly and my SFIV TE arcade stick feels great. Oh, and also pictured is Captain Commando, still waiting on Parcel Force for my SFC copy...
congrats!

the artwork is so pretty =)

Teknoman

That's exactly what I wanted to read!
I am on the fence on VR, part of me wants so badly to jump in, while the more rational side keeps saying "hold your horses, it's first gen, wait until it's more mature before forking out the cash".
I must have confirmed and canceled my PSVR pre-order like 3 or 4 times and I don't even own a PS4 (waiting for the PRO to arrive).

Reading your post rekindled my enthusiasm once again. I want to feel exaclty like you described, being thrown back by the experience in a way games haven't made me feel since, well, Mario 64.

On a side note, this is my very first GAF post, as I received validation today. Yay!

Let me second that feeling. Rez VR and Kitchen (RE7 demo) really cemented that for me.

B_Signal

bit of a long shot, but has anyone got some contact details for Console Passion in the UK?

I bought a saturn off them from an expo the other week. It's broken, which happens, it's a risk you take, but the only way to contact them is through a form on their site and they've not been responding to it.

They've got a twitter account but its not been active in over a year, and I don't have Facebook (that doesn't look like its been used for a while either)

Edit: heard back from them. They could still do with a working phone number or a direct email address though

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So guys, NX today finally. The only modern company still designing games with retro sensibilities is back (hopefully).

So guys, NX today finally. The only modern company still designing games with retro sensibilities is back (hopefully).

Play more indie games, maybe?

I could argue some of platinum's releases rely on old-school sensibilities too (but with such an arcade head like Kamiya, I would like to see him make an actual arcade game).

As for the NX, I'm excited. Pretty much the only modern games I play are on either Nintendo platforms and PC.

Mihos

Gold Member
Just looked them up, Sonic and rock are amazing!

I actually bought a copy of Princess Rescue from AtariAge and show it on my 2600. just to blow peoples mind... I am almost ashamed that some of them may still think it was a real thing.

We posting impressions here?

1. Yay still handheld
  2. New Mario! Not much info but we'll see... I hope that camera is not the final one cause I like the 3D Land/World-style way better than Mario 64-style
  3. Skyrim... that's unexpected, but maybe a good sign for 3rd party stuff
  4. Maybe promising overall, but I'm going to hold off for a few years, maybe the 5-6 year mark. I've got lots of retro stuff I want to play at the moment, and if we're looking at another $300 I'd probably rather spend that on older stuff with an already existing library

D.Lo

I loved it, a great return to form after the Wii U.

It almost even makes sense of the Wii U, as a too-early version of a similar thing.

Peltz

Switch looks amazing. Nintendo has truly transcended the concept of a "console" and a "handheld" with this device. It manages to incorporate the Wii U concept, but in a fully realized form, and provided those detatchable controls are motion-capable, it allows literally every type of control option they've ever invented to be supported....

....other than dual screen gaming.

Being able to play a local multiplayer game anywhere with anyone all on one system is a very "Nintendo" concept. I really appreciate that as someone who has friends that often don't own their own videogame hardware. Plus the promise of a unified first party Nintendo lineup and the ability to play third party games on the go is very compelling. It really distinguishes itself from PC, PS4, and Xbox One as well - those systems offer higher graphical fidelity, but are locked down to my living room.

I think they really nailed it.

I'll mourn the death of dual-screen gaming. I was one of the first to mock the idea, but over time I've come to really appreciate having a full-screen map available or easy item switching.

The last time I played Symphony of the Night I kept thinking "sure would be nice to have this castle map on a second screen" rather than having to hit select every 30 seconds.

I'll mourn the death of dual-screen gaming. I was one of the first to mock the idea, but over time I've come to really appreciate having a full-screen map available or easy item switching.

The last time I played Symphony of the Night I kept thinking "sure would be nice to have this castle map on a second screen" rather than having to hit select every 30 seconds.
might have dual screen hooked up to a tv?

was wondering about that being a feature non docked outputting to hdtv....

doesn't look likely at the moment though....

Olly88

I really liked what I saw of the Switch. I really like how simple it seems to switch to all the different ways of playing. Damn, only five months, I can't wait!

Switch is gorgeous but no d-pad out of the box?

end of an era

Yeah that's another thing. One benefit of waiting a few years is that they'll put out revisions. Hopefully one is just a plain handheld without the detachable controllers, and includes an actual d-pad.

Switch looks great, I'm sold as long as the software support is there and its region free. I don't want another case of the 3DS where I had to use an exploit just to be able to play import games.

In more retro related news, I should finally have my SFC copy of Captain Commando arriving tomorrow. Just really pissed off at how much Parcel Force is fleecing me to get the game, I do wonder how they work out the import charges sometimes...

Yeah that's another thing. One benefit of waiting a few years is that they'll put out revisions. Hopefully one is just a plain handheld without the detachable controllers, and includes an actual d-pad.
Especially one that's smaller. Screen could be like 3/4ths the size and would increase portability greatly.

Peltz

Especially one that's smaller. Screen could be like 3/4ths the size and would increase portability greatly.

I actually think this is as small as I want to see it for local multiplayer portable gaming. Personally, I'd take a larger model if given the choice.

Can't wait to get more details and preorder this thing.

Switch is gorgeous but no d-pad out of the box?

end of an era

at least the new pro controller will retain a dpad
mzLW2oW.png

edite:
wow if true, this is interesting...
Sorry if I'm late with this, but Laura Kate Dale is saying that the dock will have additional processing power. As such, Laura said to expect it to take a few seconds for the Switch to, well, switch to the TV when docked.

Top Bottom