• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Bonk is a series I've not really managed to get into. I have the first game on the PC Engine and got annoyed at one particular level (something to do with a volcano) and haven't returned to it in a while. I should really give it another try, especially as I love platformers so much.

-KRS-

Went back and got the Trintron.

5MyQoeXl.jpg

Model KV-32FS12, it must be one of the later 4:3 480i models. The back says it's from 2000.

Nice pickup! I have a 4:3 Trinitron from 2003, though it's only 20". :)
How much does it weigh?

Joe Molotov

How much does it weigh?

According to the specs online, it's 165lbs. It felt like about 300 tho. I tried to load it by myself, that turned out to be a mistake. My friend's gf happened to drive by and was like "Yo, you need help with that" and I was like "No.......................yes. : (" lol

Fularu

Banned
Bonk is a series I've not really managed to get into. I have the first game on the PC Engine and got annoyed at one particular level (something to do with a volcano) and haven't returned to it in a while. I should really give it another try, especially as I love platformers so much.

The second one is arguably a great game. The first and third ones are sometimes way too weird or way too primitive to be enjoyable in long sessions though

And the shmups are just .. well average would be the nicest word to give them.

Galdelico

Thankfully I'm not going as in depth with my collection as I did with Mega Man - as I got all region versions of that series, I'm just getting 1 version per port for the wider Capcom series (that would be insanely pricey!)

That's still pretty impressive. ;)
But no, by 'complete sets' I meant if you got the two games (Wonder 3 and Cap Commando) with spine and registration cards included. They're both very expensive games already, when they come with disc and manual only, and from what I've seen, the price bumps up much more when everything's in.

-KRS-

According to the specs online, it's 165lbs. It felt like about 300 tho. I tried to load it by myself, that turned out to be a mistake. My friend's gf happened to drive by and was like "Yo, you need help with that" and I was like "No.......................yes. : (" lol

Haha yeah they're heavy little bastards. But so beautiful. I used to have a 16:9 32" Trinitron in my old room at my mother's, and we had to have three people getting that thing in there. I left it when I moved out since for one thing I didn't have room in my new place, and I also didn't look forward to moving that thing again lol.

Fularu

Banned
Haha yeah they're heavy little bastards. But so beautiful. I used to have a 16:9 32" Trinitron in my old room at my mother's, and we had to have three people getting that thing in there. I left it when I moved out since for one thing I didn't have room in my new place, and I also didn't look forward to moving that thing again lol.

You tell me

My 32" Panasonic Tau has a gorgeous picture, but since it's an HD model (1080i) it doesn't play very nice with older systems (still way better than an LCD anyway) but it provides an amazing image quality for PS2/Wii/Xbox/GC games.

I've been trying to get a Sony PVM but they'r enext to impossible to find here in québec City (especially since I need 2 of them, one beeing for my Amiga 1200 since my 1084s is on its deathbed).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Splotted a Sega "Blast City" arcade cabinet for sale here in New Orleans for $950. Pretty cool; if I had a ton of disposable income and a place to put it I'd probably pick it up.

entremet

Splotted a Sega "Blast City" arcade cabinet for sale here in New Orleans for $950. Pretty cool; if I had a ton of disposable income and a place to put it I'd probably pick it up.

I knew of a guy that had a Candy Cab in his NYC apartment lol.

Surely you can make the space ;)

That's still pretty impressive. ;)
But no, by 'complete sets' I meant if you got the two games (Wonder 3 and Cap Commando) with spine and registration cards included. They're both very expensive games already, when they come with disc and manual only, and from what I've seen, the price bumps up much more when everything's in.

I'm waiting for the SFC version of Captain Commando to turn up before taking some pics, but my Playstation version looks brand new (as in new and sealed), but yeah its very nice to have it in complete condition. Wonder 3 is very nice as well as it has not 1 but 2 manuals - the second manual going more in depth about the puzzle game on the disk. I've not really put much time in with the 3 games so I'm looking forward to playing them more.

The second one is arguably a great game. The first and third ones are sometimes way too weird or way too primitive to be enjoyable in long sessions though

And the shmups are just .. well average would be the nicest word to give them.

I'll keep that in mind, I'll try and get my hands on Bonk 2 then.

Akoi

Just got hands on my father's old SX-64 over the weekend, he lost all his software and joysticks he had for it...but I already ordered a nice Tac-2 joystick for it and a SD2IEC with a fast load cartridge as well.. Spent more money than I really wanted to but this should be a nice retro gaming machine... Now the only problem is the older commodore monitors aren't cheap and now I want one..

Any other C64 collectors here?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It is slow. But that's actually the appeal as I've learned this time around. It's a fun game to chill out to in between other more engaging experiences.

I'm also playing Demon's Souls, Rocket League and replaying the original Pikmin right now. All of these can be very stressful in their own fun way. Paper Mario compliments them as a nice pallet cleanser where you can just turn off your brain and enjoy the light story and festive atmosphere without any stress.

It's not a deep or involving game at all really. But that's also what makes it good.

Glad you are enjoying it! I can understand needing a chill game in between such hectic and great games as Demons Souls and Pikmin, maybe that is the kind of situation I should be in as well when i test it again :) I need to check out Rocket League myself now that I have a PS4.

Mega

Banned
Been playing Paper Mario on N64 over the last few weeks and just got to Chapter 4. I don't know why it took so long for me to enjoy this game. I've had the cart for +10 years and never could get into it until now.

It's not mind blowing, but it's really fantastic and charming in a cozy comfort-food sort of way. The art style also looks amazing on the PVM via RGB.

That's the best... when a game finally clicks or you finally get going without putting it down for months at a time.

Ramune

Dug out some old pics on a old hard drive and found these. A blast from my past. My setup in January 2007. This was when I was converting EVERYTHING I could to S-Video and picked up a RF S-Video modulator (since the TV set I played on was a hand me down and the remote was lost, so no using the internal S-Video port). Also was the first time I had something besides mono (so from 1987-2007.....I was playing in RF and Mono). Can't remember what TV that was, but....it did it's job.

Then I bought a Panasonic TC-32LZ800 (and still use to this day). Component video came into the picture at that point for the systems that could handle it. The previous speaker set bit the dust and I went with the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 set (still going strong). Also played my SNES and 5th Gen consoles on it (Genesis and NES were a no go since I could only do composite. Refused to go lower than S-Video). Back then I didn't know any better, and RGB was not at all on my radar, but it still handled SD sources pretty well and had a IPS screen and no noticeable lag. I think I lucked out back then ^_^;

(Notes: That Sonic Adventure pic was just testing out the TV's VGA out port. And...excuse the occasional stretched image pics. I was most likely testing what it looks like but rest assured, it was mostly 4:3 mode for me ^_- )

Ramune

Oh man -- that Game Boy carrying case in the first pic? I had that thing. So many memories.

Right? Staying at our Grandparents for the summer? My Younger Brother and I would pack our Game Boy and Game Gear cases respectively, since we couldn't bring our consoles (but we played outside more often than not). Still have them too.

those Fighting Vipers and Virtual On plushies!

Yeah, definitely had MAD love for Sega! :)
Wonder if my Bro still has them...
He sold the Rouge and Fang/Nack plushies for a pretty high price IIRC..

Galdelico

I'm waiting for the SFC version of Captain Commando to turn up before taking some pics, but my Playstation version looks brand new (as in new and sealed), but yeah its very nice to have it in complete condition. Wonder 3 is very nice as well as it has not 1 but 2 manuals - the second manual going more in depth about the puzzle game on the disk. I've not really put much time in with the 3 games so I'm looking forward to playing them more.
Holy cow at your sealed Captain Commando. O_O
I'm looking forward to enjoy your photo-reportage, once you get all your stuff.

And about Wonder 3, I've been this close to grab a copy for the Saturn, last summer, but in the end I decided otherwise and got other games instead.

Fularu

Banned
Genesis and NES were a no go since I could only do composite. Refused to go lower than S-Video)
The genesis does s-video just fine and now even has component cables for it (that are very close to rgb scart cables as far as picture quality goes)

Holy cow at your sealed Captain Commando. O_O
I'm looking forward to enjoy your photo-reportage, once you get all your stuff.

And about Wonder 3, I've been this close to grab a copy for the Saturn, last summer, but in the end I decided otherwise and got other games instead.

I think its probably a reseal as opposed to being brand new and sealed, either way it looks really nice! I'm getting a little annoyed at the UK postal system at the moment, as they've been holding onto my Super Famicom game for 3 days now... I'm sure they'll charge me some sort of customs charge, I just wish they'd hurry up already!

Wonder 3 I grabbed because it seems to have risen in price quite a bit, it costs quite a bit to get these days (more so for the Saturn version). Now I just need to grab the Saturn port of Tenchi o Kurau 2 before it gets any more expensive.

Teknoman

So I had no idea electric playground started in 97, the YouTube channel still has the very first season in HD complete with commercials that aired for games of that time.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was only familiar with Electric Playground being a TV show; not a website.

It was kinda cool at the time. Game-related videos were a rarity, and Gamepro TV was only an occasional thing.

Teknoman

The first episode pretty much uses ewj2's CD soundtrack. The rest mostly from the first game mixing in 2 here and there (anything but tangerines?). But yeah video reviews and interviews aside from promo VHS were really rare then. In North America anyway.

Also at a Yankees game "n64 has no games!" " it has killer instinct and no loading!" Kinda refreshing to see fanboy arguments never really change lol.

Its kinda funny to see some of the guests make funny suggestions about band and music / dancing games.

Ramune

The genesis does s-video just fine and now even has component cables for it (that are very close to rgb scart cables as far as picture quality goes)

Yeah, but this was the 2007 me, and while I knew RGB was the highest (says so in the instruction Manuel), I had no idea how to go about it. Fast forward to 2016, and two PVMs and various RGB cables later. ^_^;
Only thing left is my NES and it seems better to go Famicom for the widest compatibility.

there's also a micomsoft transcoder that turns RGB signal into S-Video, but that is pretty rare and only came out in Japan.

Yeah, I've seen this on Yahoo JP! auctions from time to time. Barely anyone talks about it, but it being rare would be a huge factor.
O_O;

Khaz

Hey guys, in case you weren't aware, Super Mario Bros. is not a very interesting game.

It is debatable whether the first Super Mario is repetitive, especially as the later games added a lot to the gameplay. I can see how someone would want more variety in their platformer, but one could also argue that doing one thing but doing it well is what makes the game good in the first place.

[edit] his abuse of savestates definitely altered the experience too.

ew, save states... (I can't stand them, they cheapen the challenge of the game for me personally).
I still think Super Mario Bros is a fantastic game, I revistit it every year or so and complete it twice in one sitting (doing the harder * run after the main game is done just for the heck of it). At my best I could do it twice through without continuing. I love the pace of the game, probably because I played it so many times so I know the levels back to front so I can run through them quick. I prefer 3 and World to the original game, but I still rate it as one of the purest, most satisfying platformers I've played throughout the years. Just my opinion though.

Mega

Banned
SMB is still a great game to me, aged very well. This giant firebar was scary the first few times as a kid

SMB5-4.png

But I do wonder how I would feel to play it now for the first time.

there's also a micomsoft transcoder that turns RGB signal into S-Video, but that is pretty rare and only came out in Japan.

Yeah, I've seen this on Yahoo JP! auctions from time to time. Barely anyone talks about it, but it being rare would be a huge factor.
O_O;

What's it called?

edit: thanks, sixteen-bit

Olly88

Most games I've tried using save states on are way less fun and even make me more frustrated at times, even games I love. I'm sure they don't affect the way some people think about a game, but it's hardly surprising that there's a chance a game wont seem as good if you take out all the challenge from it.

Yeah, I'd imagine I'd not value any of my favourite NES games if I'd used save states loads... The only time I've broken this stance is recently on the Supergrafx port of Ghouls n Ghosts, and I only used save states once on the first run of the final level, and that's only because you have limited continues in this port (and I really didn't want to replay the first half of the game again!). After finishing stage 5 for the first time I never touched save states again, since it was essentially straight forward from that point.

I do think some retro games are made more accessible with maps though - The original Metroid is a game I greatly enjoy more with a map, just because Norfair is such a pain for me to navigate (so many false floors), parts of Zelda 2 benefit from it as well, especially with some of the vague hints the game gives you and Section Z is much better with a map since without it you could repeat levels forever without finding the right path or hidden exit for the final set of levels. That said, I do tend to spend quite a while playing a game first before touching a guide, its basically the point where I realise I need proper guidance else I'll be stuck forever!

Timu

Don't worry guys, I know of youtube channels who use save states for all of their retro games, lol.

Using them during levels is what I don't approve of.

Morfeo

Hey guys, in case you weren't aware, Super Mario Bros. is not a very interesting game.

Crossposting from my reply in that thread:

I am out of words.

Well I guess I should say that I think the original Super Mario Bros is a true masterpiece, still one of the best plattformers ever, brilliant in both level design, challenge and controls. However, as with every action-game, it does kinda defeat the point when there is no longer any challenge. As when you use save states at the start of each level. Then you will basically be able to "grind" through the game.

Also, there is unlimited continues in the game. Hold A when you die, and you will start in the world you died in (but not the sub-level). There is also warp-zones to quickly take you back to whatever world you where in.

Remember, this game was released when single-screen gaming was all the rage. And it was the single biggest leap forward for gaming ever, almost single-handedly taking the video game industry out of the slump. Super Mario Bros is quite simply, the most influential game of all time, and still maybe the best.

D.Lo

I think it's kind of a reasonable take on the game all things considered. But I find it offensive that piracy is so openly accepted.

OP outright stated they owned no Nintendo systems and 'wanted to get into their games' and all evidence pointed to the solution takes as straight piracy. Not only is the game for sale in multiple forms on multiple platforms right now, but what is most likely generic PC emulation with is not IMO a good way to evaluate any game.

If this was a thread posted after the Mini NES launched it would be fine.

Morfeo

Reading more in that thread and how so many other people as well shits on the Nes and other classics like Zelda 2 makes me sad :(

I dunno, I think compared to SMB's contemporaries, it is exceedingly modern. I can't imagine anyone who can't enjoy SMB enjoying any NES title.

Crossposting from my reply in that thread:

I like your point about single screen platformers, SMB did feel like a major step forward in that regard. I think it was pretty much the very first platformer game that I truly enjoyed (I've never really been able to get into Spectrum platformers like Jet Set Wily or the Ultimate titles, despite trying several times. Overly tough and inprecise controls kind of ruin it for me).

I also agree about Zelda 2. I feel that its sort of under rated. I held off playing it for quite a while, but when I finally started it last year I managed to finish it in two days. I couldn't put it down, I was really surprised at how much I loved the combat especially.

Morfeo

I like your point about single screen platformers, SMB did feel like a major step forward in that regard. I think it was pretty much the very first platformer game that I truly enjoyed (I've never really been able to get into Spectrum platformers like Jet Set Wily or the Ultimate titles, despite trying several times. Overly tough and inprecise controls kind of ruin it for me).

I also agree about Zelda 2. I feel that its sort of under rated. I held off playing it for quite a while, but when I finally started it last year I managed to finish it in two days. I couldn't put it down, I was really surprised at how much I loved the combat especially.

Glad to hear you like Zelda 2, its my favorite Zelda-game and also my favorite Nes-game. I dont think its underrated among fellow retro-fans, because very often what drives us to seek out these games, is the design of the game, and that includes the challenge. More modern Zelda-fans that grew up with the more puzzle-oriented games (which I also love by the way), are probably the people who think Zelda 2 is unbalanced and as such has given it a slightly bad rep, and thanks to this, it is considered the "black sheep" and "too hard" by the more casual audience today. One thing everybody has to agree on though, the sense of scale in that game is incredible for the Nes.

Olly88

Reading more in that thread and how so many other people as well shits on the Nes and other classics like Zelda 2 makes me sad :(

It's just the way it is these days. Gameplay isn't the most important thing to a lot of people now, so since that what most retro stuff is it doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I find it a huge shame, but it's the way it is. Or at least seems.

I guess it's the same reason you see people say a platformer shouldn't be full price for some reason when one's announced, as if's not what a game "proper" game should be in modern times.

Morfeo

It's just the way it is these days. Gameplay isn't the most important thing to a lot of people now, so since that what most retro stuff is it doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I find it a huge shame, but it's the way it is. Or at least seems.

I guess it's the same reason you see people say a platformer shouldn't be full price for some reason when one's announced, as if's not what a game "proper" game should be in modern times.

I know, and its fine that people want to get different things out of gaming. But if they try to approach, play and discuss these games they should at least approach them on their own terms.

Top Bottom