• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Khaz

Thank you! Are there any preferred methods that wouldn't break the bank (and don't require soldering)?

You just need a 2600 RF cable
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...tari+2600+rf.TRS1&_nkw=atari+2600+rf&_sacat=0
Just be careful of what sort of RF socket your country uses, there are differences amongst continents.

Also note that modern TVs can be quite fussy about displaying old consoles in RF. You may need some additional hardware to convert RF into something else for them, or simply use a CRT. In any case a cable is your first step.

Thank you! Are there any preferred methods that wouldn't break the bank (and don't require soldering)?

Preferred methods for what? The RCA Female to F-type male just slides on the end of the RF cable of the 2600.

If you mean getting better picture quality out of the 2600 then no. To get anything other than RF out of a 2600 requires modding it. It's not too expensive of a mod. You can get anything composite, svideo, RGB, and if I remember right component out of it with the mod. Though I think component needs a daughter board installed too.

You just need a 2600 RF cable
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...tari+2600+rf.TRS1&_nkw=atari+2600+rf&_sacat=0
Just be careful of what sort of RF socket your country uses, there are differences amongst continents.

Also note that modern TVs can be quite fussy about displaying old consoles in RF. You may need some additional hardware to convert RF into something else for them, or simply use a CRT. In any case a cable is your first step.

In the original post he said he was hooking it up to a CRT so I assumed not a modern set.

mniYRngh.jpg

Xbox one came in the mail today.

Me from 12 years ago still thinks the PS2 version is the best.

Teknoman

Just a thought: How do people decide what retro game they feel like reviewing? I can see youtubers that post thoughts on new games, as its something that just hit, but when you're in the retro game scene...you've already got almost everything that will ever release (homebrew and translations aside) at your fingertips so to speak.

Just simply whatever they last played, or just something at random?

Just a thought: How do people decide what retro game they feel like reviewing? I can see youtubers that post thoughts on new games, as its something that just hit, but when you're in the retro game scene...you've already got almost everything that will ever release (homebrew and translations aside) at your fingertips so to speak.

Just simply whatever they last played, or just something at random?

Usually I have something in mind that I bought recently or I was thinking about or that I saw in a youtube video.

When there's nothing immediately in mind, I have an excel spreadsheet of stuff that I said "oh yeah I should play that again / for the first time" to dig into when I'm really not sure. I'll just find something that fits. Recently I wanted to play something short on a handheld so I did Me and My Katamari for a bit until it got tired, then switched to Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. I had to give up adding genres to this, it got too annoying... plus it's pretty easy to find the RPGs.

My rule is to stop playing games when I stop having fun or it starts to feel like a drag so it keeps me from getting too bogged down. For example, I'm OK with having played 12 hours of Okamiden and having a good time, understanding what that game is all about, liking it, but just having had enough.

Timu

Xbox one came in the mail today.

Me from 12 years ago still thinks the PS2 version is the best.
Having played all versions of that game in that era it's my least fav and least technically impressive IMO but still a great and fun version.

Having played all versions of that game in that era it's my least fav and least technically impressive IMO but still a great and fun version.

They all look the same.

Honestly you can't really go wrong. GC has Link and he's pretty cool, Xbox has 720p, PS2 has the most appropriate controller and is literally arcade perfect since the arcade hardware was the same as a PS2.

PS2 has a bit longer loading as well but I actually appreciate a bit more time to make my characters yell something out.

Timu

They all look the same.

Honestly you can't really go wrong. GC has Link and he's pretty cool, Xbox has 720p, PS2 has the most appropriate controller and is literally arcade perfect since the arcade hardware was the same as a PS2.

PS2 has a bit longer loading as well but I actually appropriate a bit more time to make my characters yell something out.
PS2 version has more slowdown and worse textures and lighting in some areas of the game. In terms of framerate Gamecube version is the best. Xbox not only has the best graphics but also best sound as well and fastest load times.

PS2 may have the best controls but thankfully you can use a converter on Xbox and Gamecube to let you use a PS2 controller on those systems.

Teknoman

Usually I have something in mind that I bought recently or I was thinking about or that I saw in a youtube video.

When there's nothing immediately in mind, I have an excel spreadsheet of stuff that I said "oh yeah I should play that again / for the first time" to dig into when I'm really not sure. I'll just find something that fits. Recently I wanted to play something short on a handheld so I did Me and My Katamari for a bit until it got tired, then switched to Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. I had to give up adding genres to this, it got too annoying... plus it's pretty easy to find the RPGs.

My rule is to stop playing games when I stop having fun or it starts to feel like a drag so it keeps me from getting too bogged down. For example, I'm OK with having played 12 hours of Okamiden and having a good time, understanding what that game is all about, liking it, but just having had enough.

I guess im over thinking it having access to alot of stuff now. That being said, just sat back down with Jet Force Gemini and finally realized that you cant get all the tribals in one go. So i've been blasting my way through that and having more fun than before.

I still want to find the GC version again just for the sake of having Link heh.

Dolphin 5.0 came out this year tho. Give it a chance, lol.

People keep telling me that every year, it keeps not being up to my standards.

Edit: mostly I just don't see the point any more. 480p looks good. It's not worth bugs & crashes & fiddling with settings before almost every game when I have 3 perfectly good GameCubes, a Wii, and a Wii U to play these games on

Cool. Give us impressions on that controller when you get a chance.

no problem! i hope the cord reaches my couch from my coffee table lol i got a 25 foot hdmi cable to put to use =)

ps4 pro coming in tomorrow so i'm stoked for that. (sold my launch ps4 over the summer)

dubc35

I asked a couple pages back about PS3 Okami HD on disk. I got it in the mail last night and lol, the disk is an install disk. I guess I thought it would play live off the disk. Oh well, somehow I was able to clear 8GB on my launch 60GB phatty for the install. I'm not sure how I have been able to keep gaming with a 60GB HDD. I will probably upgrade it soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My mom asked me if I wanted the NES Classic for my birthday. I'm obviously the type to get a Famicom, RGB mod it, and get the actual carts... but fuck. I still want it. It's just a cool novelty for someone who's really into games.

Galdelico

Holy shit, Dave. You're my new hero. That is a phenomenal collection.
I don't want to indulge in the OT, but even by PM, if you keep an online gallery of built-up and colored kids, please share. Absolutely LOVE it.

Holy shit, Dave. You're my new hero. That is a phenomenal collection.
I don't want to indulge in the OT, but even by PM, if you keep an online gallery of built-up and colored kids, please share. Absolutely LOVE it.
will do! i haven't done anything recent bc of retro gaming but i will pm if anything cool.
What's it like being wealthy? I bet it's cool. So cool.
nah, just listened to a tip a friend showed me how to survive expensive hobby collecting
(pro tip: buy in three's and sell two to pay for the one. trick is to find limited stuff that go up in price. Macross stuff always go up in astronomically so it's easy to sell to make up for what you paid for)

sorta retro related, i got my pro in today and can now finally play Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth genesis) =)
qTFilbPl.jpg

My mom asked me if I wanted the NES Classic for my birthday. I'm obviously the type to get a Famicom, RGB mod it, and get the actual carts... but fuck. I still want it. It's just a cool novelty for someone who's really into games.

I have the same feeling. The novelty of it is just too much for me even if I own most of the games and an RGB modded system already.

BearChair

Hoping you guys can help me.

There's a tshirt company that uses retro (mostly Japanese) developer logos.

They recently had s big sale.

After searching, I can't seem to find it, though.

Can someone identify the company for me?

Bamboo

OT
btw, some pictures of my collection. Macross is my main hobby... then video games... and gundams on the side =)

love macross but retro gaming is starting to fill up a corner =)
Oh wow, what a great + crazy collection. I'm just tyring to picture you sitting at that desk and... well, what are you actually doing there? Looking at your collection? Reading? Coloring? Assembling?

BTails

I too got my PS4 Pro yesterday. First game I played on it? Resident Evil 4. Once a retro gamer, always a retro gamer. Also, it's weird to think of RE4 as retro!

Joe Molotov

Does anyone here own an AVS NES/Famicom system from retroUSB? I saw Mike Matei talking about it on one of his latest videos, just wondering if it's really as good as advertised.

He talked about it but didn't really get into the inner-workings, I think he just knows it's possibly the most cost effective solution to play NES/Famicom games on an HDTV with an Elgato capture setup.

I just grabbed an AVS and a 1-in-150 multicart as a gift. I was gonna get them the Classic Edition, but man did I not expect it to sell out everywhere. If I wanted to grab one off ebay for $500 bucks at least, I can just do an AVS and a multicart and it will at least be however many ticks closer to the real thing.

Anybody recommend any third party NES controllers?

Galdelico

He talked about it but didn't really get into the inner-workings, I think he just knows it's possibly the most cost effective solution to play NES/Famicom games on an HDTV with an Elgato capture setup.

I just grabbed an AVS and a 1-in-150 multicart as a gift. I was gonna get them the Classic Edition, but man did I not expect it to sell out everywhere. If I wanted to grab one off ebay for $500 bucks at least, I can just do an AVS and a multicart and it will at least be however many ticks closer to the real thing.

Anybody recommend any third party NES controllers?

Speaking of which... Any way to purchase it in Europe? Retrousb store seems to actively discourage international orders - USPS shipping without tracking is a pretty odd choice, and assuming you get it no problem, heavy customs fees are guaranteed, as they won't ship 'as gift', nor declare low value on the package (which is totally understandable, in their position). No one imported it yet?

JLynn

I'm surprised retrousb didn't go the krikzz route of licensing the sales of the AVS console to websites in different regions.

Top Bottom