• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Mega

Banned
People keep telling me that every year, it keeps not being up to my standards.

Edit: mostly I just don't see the point any more. 480p looks good. It's not worth bugs & crashes & fiddling with settings before almost every game when I have 3 perfectly good GameCubes, a Wii, and a Wii U to play these games on

Fiddling with Dolphin last year made me go out and rebuy the GameCube. I finished two games on Dolphin with annoying video and audio glitches (Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin) and called it quits on Twilight Princess. I don't consider it a suitable replacement for native hardware and it's too easy to get GC running perfectly on Wii U.

IrishNinja

Nice, does he have the sale every year?

i wanna say yes! i believe ive seen it the last 2 years or so, its something like 15-20% off which if you're buying one of the baller ones (mega everdrive, SD2SNES etc) could really make a difference!

just looking at a master system one this year, here's to exploring the SG-1000 library!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Saw at beep today. Best famicom.

CxSMfvMWQAAB2t3.jpg

D.Lo

OG Famicom for me, followed by the AV.

I do like the black Twin Turbo, but prefer the red Twin (non-Turbo).

I've been buying controller extension cords like crazy Retro-Gaf. I was originally going to order most of them from raphnet but they've been out of stock of most of their controller extension cords for ages now. So far ebay hasn't been too bad. I did try to make one of my own, the plug on the Atari Jaguar is exactly the same size and shape as a VGA connector. So I bought a male to female VGA cable and removed the pins that aren't in use by the Jag connector. Thinking aww shit I made my own extension cable.......doesn't work. System doesn't turn on when its connected, looks like I need to try and track down real Jaguar extension cables.

IrishNinja

I've been waiting for most of the year...

Definitely buying:
Turbo Everdrive
Everdrive 64 (not sure which version)

Considering:
Everdrive GBA
Mega Everdrive X5

yeah, still using my roommate's turbo one but ill need my own one day - it's so much cheaper than many of the game prices right now!

and i forget what all the higher model of the 64 one did, wasn't it mostly for development?

yeah, still using my roommate's turbo one but ill need my own one day - it's so much cheaper than many of the game prices right now!

and i forget what all the higher model of the 64 one did, wasn't it mostly for development?

Main things are no restart needed to save, support for real-time clock (Doubutsu no Mori, Pokemon Stadium 2, maybe homebrew?), instant loading.

how much is a turbo everdrive go for these days. i seriously want a rgb modded duo r/rx but waiting till the right time. just got a ps4 pro (had 250 gamestop credit from selling my og ps4 in june... need to rest a bit before spending.

IrishNinja

Main things are no restart needed to save, support for real-time clock (Doubutsu no Mori, Pokemon Stadium 2, maybe homebrew?), instant loading.

that doesn't sound bad, but i reset all my everdrives to save (habit, since i forget which don't need it! haha), and loading-wise it's one of my fastest ones, quicker than the Super Everdrive 2 for sure. the real time clock is cool though

Ashby

Do all Everdrives have some sort of save ability? Am I dummy who hasn't been using it on my Turbo Everdrive? That would be very handy!

Not many Turbo/PCEngine games supported saving on the chip, hell not many of them supported saving in general. In the US I think it was just a small handful of the chip games and you needed an AV Booster Plus to do so. When it came to CD games, I believe the CD Add on had some memory for saving, and on the Duo/DuoR/RX's they had memory for saving games built in. There were a few add ons for saving those games, most notably the TenNoKoe Bank card for instance. Though the turbo everdrive I don't think can emulate the TenNoKoe Bank because its set up doesn't work that way. The good news is TenNoKoe Bank cards are super fucking cheap. (also this isn't a complete run down more of a general information about the Turbo/PCEngine)

To add to the main discussion the Turbo Everdrive is by far the best bang for your buck purchase out of all the flash carts/everdrives out there.

If you're using it with a Duo/DuoR/RX and using it to boot the system cards PLEASE make sure to use the modified one that's out there. I don't want to get into the long technical reason why but has to do with RAM fighting for control and it supposedly can lead to an early console death if you don't use the modified one.

When I got my Turbo Everdrive from StoneAge i think it was like 70 or 80 bucks.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
debatable, imo

both of the black twin famis look nicer to me. there's also the titler and the gorgeous sharp C1.

i'm a huge fan of the av famicom too, even if it's not as exotic as the aforementioned systems

Sharp C1 is cool, but ugly!

The black twin famis are nice too though.

linkboy

He talked about it but didn't really get into the inner-workings, I think he just knows it's possibly the most cost effective solution to play NES/Famicom games on an HDTV with an Elgato capture setup.

I just grabbed an AVS and a 1-in-150 multicart as a gift. I was gonna get them the Classic Edition, but man did I not expect it to sell out everywhere. If I wanted to grab one off ebay for $500 bucks at least, I can just do an AVS and a multicart and it will at least be however many ticks closer to the real thing.

Anybody recommend any third party NES controllers?

Go for the 8bitdo nes30 pro and the retro adapter. They're great controllers and you'll have wireless.

I use their snes controllers with my super famicom and I've got no complaints.

D.Lo

I would absolutely love a wireless PC Engine controller (and no, I don't mean the old IR one!)
The IR one is quite good.

8bitdo ones are great.

I hope 8bitdo:

1) Release Fami and NES pads with the original layout
2) Release controllers and receivers for all old consoles

D.Lo

The IR one from the 90s is good? I find that hard to believe. Also, I'm not seeing any PCE controllers on the 8bitdo site.
I use an IR Mega Drive pad as my main for that system. Works perfectly. I sold my PCE one but it was great as well. You need line of sight but it doesn't really have to point directly at it, play is completely comfortable.

I mean I'd replace it with an RF wireless pad but they work great.

I think IR pads got a bad name because of some crap NES ones.

IrishNinja

If you're using it with a Duo/DuoR/RX and using it to boot the system cards PLEASE make sure to use the modified one that's out there. I don't want to get into the long technical reason why but has to do with RAM fighting for control and it supposedly can lead to an early console death if you don't use the modified one.

wait, what now
could you expand on this

yeah, that's me - i used a shit IR NES controller a few times in the day & chucked that tech into the bushes

Galdelico

I use an IR Mega Drive pad as my main for that system. Works perfectly. I sold my PCE one but it was great as well. You need line of sight but it doesn't really have to point directly at it, play is completely comfortable.

Great to read this from you, man.
I'm patiently waiting for my pick-ups to arrive from Japan - I've got both sets, the one with the receiver included, and the other one, controller only, for player 2 :D - and I'm quite excited to try them out.

I've read they are also a bit heavier than the regular 6-buttons controller, giving a slight better feel as well.

wait, what now
could you expand on this

I'll try to do my best to explain it as best as I understand it.

The system 2.0 and 3.0 cards which are meant to be used with the different CD Add ons have extra ram on the card. Much like the Arcade Card has. The Duo/Duo R/RX has that ram built into the system, and the system bios built in. So you don't need to use a card. How ever most TED users, just leave their TED in the hucard slot and have the TED emulate those system cards to run the CD Bios when they want to play a CD game on the Duo/Duo R/RX. This causes the system to recognize both pools of ram and the two pools of ram fight back and forth for accessing the memory and such. Which can put unneeded stress onto the chips.

Now one solution is to just take your TED out when you want to boot up a CD game, Elmer on the PCEngineFX boards came up with another solution. Basically he modified the system 3.0 (both japanese and english) roms to turn off the card access of the ram, and tell the system to use the onboard ram. They're known as System Card 3.01, and it's HIGHLY recommend to use that system rom if you're going to leave your TED in the system.

Hopefully that makes sense.

mikeamizzle

Neo Member

Just wanted to say that I can definitely vouch for the quality of the official IR Saturn pads as well. I use mine as a main for that system also and can't be happier.

Galdelico

Just wanted to say that I can definitely vouch for the quality of the official IR Saturn pads as well. I use mine as a main for that system also and can't be happier.

Is there a Japanese equivalent to the Western bundle which includes 2 pads and the receiver? Or is it just like the Mega Drive, and you have to buy two different sets, in order to have an IR controller for both players?

TeaJay

Now one solution is to just take your TED out when you want to boot up a CD game, Elmer on the PCEngineFX boards came up with another solution. Basically he modified the system 3.0 (both japanese and english) roms to turn off the card access of the ram, and tell the system to use the onboard ram. They're known as System Card 3.01, and it's HIGHLY recommend to use that system rom if you're going to leave your TED in the system.

Is this patched 3.01 system CD-ROM file the only system file I should have on the everdrive, then? Or do I need various others? There's quite a few on the romset package. (for the Japanese Duo console)

Is this patched 3.01 system CD-ROM file the only system file I should have on the everdrive, then? Or do I need various others? There's quite a few on the romset package. (for the Japanese Duo console)

Me personally, I keep the Japanese and English 3.01 bios on mine, along with the 1.0 (which the 1.0 card I don't think added any ram so it didn't need a patched version). The only reason I keep 1.0 on there is because the CD version of Altered Beast only runs on system card 1.0

bodine1231

Is there any noticeable difference between playing a hacked Wii vs OG console with say an Everdrive connected to a CRT? After dusting off the PVM I'm looking for a spot to set it up permanently. I'd like to get the original consoles but I'm not sure its worth the investment over just running the Wii through component. I've heard that the Wii has very bad image quality.

mikeamizzle

Neo Member
Is there a Japanese equivalent to the Western bundle which includes 2 pads and the receiver? Or is it just like the Mega Drive, and you have to buy two different sets, in order to have an IR controller for both players?

I believe it was sold as a bundle with the IR receiver that included one controller and the receiver which slots into both control ports and individual second IR controllers were sold separately. I'm not sure if there was ever a bundle that included two IR controllers with the receiver in one package but it uses the same tech for the receiver which requires you to plug it into both ports to be able to use one (or both if you have a second). I have the white Japanese set myself and it is probably my favorite controller of all time, the two double A's that it takes give the controller a perfect amount of weight without adding any unnecessary bulk.

Galdelico

I believe it was sold as a bundle with the IR receiver that included one controller and the receiver which slots into both control ports and individual second IR controllers were sold separately. I'm not sure if there was ever a bundle that included two IR controllers with the receiver in one package but it uses the same tech for the receiver which requires you to plug it into both ports to be able to use one (or both if you have a second). I have the white Japanese set myself and it is probably my favorite controller of all time, the two double A's that it takes give the controller a perfect amount of weight without adding any unnecessary bulk.

It sounds like the same case scenario with the first party IR controllers for the Mega Drive. In the US and Europe, SEGA sold an 'all in one' pack as well, with the receiver and two controllers bundled in (same goes for the Saturn), while for Japan the only choice was to get two different sets, in order to have IR pads for both players. I'm definitely going to track at least one down, next year. After having seen the prices for the Mega Drive sets, I guess on the Saturn they'll run for even bigger money nowadays.

And yeah, I expect the extra weight from the battery to give a very similar chunky feel to the MD controllers too.

Is there any noticeable difference between playing a hacked Wii vs OG console with say an Everdrive connected to a CRT? After dusting off the PVM I'm looking for a spot to set it up permanently. I'd like to get the original consoles but I'm not sure its worth the investment over just running the Wii through component. I've heard that the Wii has very bad image quality.

Wii image quality is fine. It's a little soft over 480p but people really exaggerate it.

I think running a Wii is a fine way to do things with some caveats. The biggest benefits of real hardware is that you get perfect accuracy, perfect compatibility, and no latency.

For accuracy, generally the Wii VC is pretty good. I'm not aware of any major problems (aside from N64) but all software emulation has quirks so I would imagine there are some minor stuff. Community/homebrew emulators on the other hand tend to have a lot of issues. I think it's super impressive that they are as good as they've gotten, but you'll run long list of issues depending on the emulator. These include occasional crashes, framedrops, frame pacing issues, video mode switch bugs, bad horizontal scaling to correct aspect ratio, inaccurate reproduction of visuals, sound sync issues, sound popping & cracking, sound accuracy issues (genesis...), and more. If you're picky it can really detract from just sitting down and playing a game.

As far as compatibility goes, with the Wii VC emulator you're limited to what Nintendo put out plus luck on whether injected roms work. Homebrew emulators tend to have better compatibility but are more likely to have issues mentioned above.

For latency, all emulation will introduce a minimum 1 frame of lag, with some introducing significantly more. Wii VC seems pretty snappy but I wouldn't trust say Snes9X not to have more. Not a big deal for RPGs but even playing Mario with extra lag makes it really difficult.

A good compromise is picking up real hardware for systems you care about the most and are not that expensive, like say SNES, and doing Wii for the rest.

Peltz

I'd go with original consoles, personally. I like to avoid that frame of lag. Otherwise, Wii will definitely serve you well if you don't mind the limited library or running homebrew. The image quality over component in 240p is exactly what you'd expect - fantastic.

Ashby

haha exactly. Well, now I know to be on the look out for a PCE wireless pad. I'm sure they're expensive as all get out of course. Also, regarding this whole System Card conversation: I thought the whole point of the R/RX was that all the System Cards were built in!

IrishNinja

Elmer on the PCEngineFX boards came up with another solution. Basically he modified the system 3.0 (both japanese and english) roms to turn off the card access of the ram, and tell the system to use the onboard ram. They're known as System Card 3.01, and it's HIGHLY recommend to use that system rom if you're going to leave your TED in the system.

it does indeed, and now to track down that update file (unless you have a link!) - good to know, totally gonna have this setup on my roommate's TED so we don't run into this issue, good looking out shin.

Krikzz just announced his black friday sale, November 25th 20% off everything.

shit yeah! master everdrive, here i come <3

Top Bottom