• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Producer

anyone get the snes classic mini?

it was sorta easier to find than the nes classic.

yep got one, mainly because i wanted to use the controllers with my wii. I was looking into the club famicom snes pads a while back and they were going for about $50 so i thought i might as well get this instead lol

Peltz

Mine is being delivered today but I won't be able to play it because I'm out of town this weekend.

I'm really only interested in the Controllers for Wii VC and SF2. Otherwise, I'd never buy something like this.

Timu

That's a shame about Wii Shop Channel, I mean, once your Wii dies, you lose everything since it's all tied to one console...I don't like the sound of that.

I guess this will result in relying on WADs for those games.

That's a shame about Wii Shop Channel, I mean, once your Wii dies, you lose everything since it's all tied to one console...I don't like the sound of that.

it always comes down to homebrew

Peltz

yea, it's rough. This is one situation where game preservation or piracy (whatever you want to call it) actually feels like it is serving a legitimate purpose. I have no idea how it all works though.

Teknoman

yep got one, mainly because i wanted to use the controllers with my wii. I was looking into the club famicom snes pads a while back and they were going for about $50 so i thought i might as well get this instead lol

I did. It's the ultimate double dip at this point, but hey, legit Star Fox 2 and SNES controllers for Contra and Castlevania Rebirth. Was Gradius Rebirth any good btw?

yea, it's rough. This is one situation where game preservation or piracy (whatever you want to call it) actually feels like it is serving a legitimate purpose. I have no idea how it all works though.
Strangely, it's becoming more necessary for these recent consoles (ps1, ps2, wii, etc.) faster than the old cartridge systems due to the disc and digital based media. funny how that's worked out.

KC-Slater

I got one, and my wife randomly texted me saying she picked one up for me too!

Mine is being delivered today but I won't be able to play it because I'm out of town this weekend.

I'm really only interested in the Controllers for Wii VC and SF2.

I'm pumped to use the controllers on the Wii VC too -- not a bad deal seeing as the Club Nintendo SNES controllers regualrly sold for close to $100 each!

piggychan

I originally was going to get the NES classic too and had a pre order down but then there was this talk about why bother buying one when you can have a raspberry pi and so I listened and cancelled my pre order. A year later although I have the famicom classic I still regret cancelling that...

My SNES is still in the box I did take it out for a quick check to make sure everything was there but one thing that worries me is how durable are those L and R buttons as I remember them breaking on the originals quite easilly during the Street Fighter II era...
SadgEqW.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So wait... does the SNES Classic output in the right aspect ratio? It's not like I want one to actually play, just curious how they approached it.

The news about the Wii VC has me again thinking about getting one and loading up on VC games. I actually don't own one and never have, so I have been thinking about looking to eBay for one that already has a bunch of games and then buying the rest I want. Found one for sale on eBay with 70 games on a 2 GB SD card. What's the file size situation with VC games? Are they bloated like most modern releases now? Is there any way to transfer the games onto another SD card if I wanted a newer/bigger card for posterity's sake?

It would be kinda nice to have a legit, well emulated library of classics I could easily take with me on family vacations in the future.

BTails

Tekno, are you created GAF Plays 31 Nights of Horror tomorrow? It's maybe my favourite thread on GAF
except this one, of course!

Laws00

I got an snes Mini.

And it was about as hard as it was to get an nes last year.

Not that hard for me

And it’s an end of an era for the Wii store. That thing was so damn good. I bought so many games for virtual console. I hope they bring out Wiiware type games for disc like the Konami ones. I’d double dip for those

Danny Dudekisser

The difference with the SNES Classic is that I've actually heard of people IRL getting one on launch day. Which is cool -- this is really not the sort of thing that should be hard to get ahold of.

I'm not going to use it, but I decided I kinda need to get one just as a piece of nerdy decor.

Danny Dudekisser

Thought it was amusing, at least — my friend who isn’t really into games bought a switch earlier this year. He’s not really feeling Zelda at all. Super fucking excited about the SNES Classic, though, and his first question was “does it have Zelda?”

Teknoman

Tekno, are you created GAF Plays 31 Nights of Horror tomorrow? It's maybe my favourite thread on GAF
except this one, of course!

Almost forgot it's that time of year again!

We need to get the ball rolling on that again. I haven't had the time to put it together though, since this is the first birthday I've had in awhile where I didn't have to work (gonna be out for awhile).

If anyone else wants to put a banner together and a thread, go for it. If not I'll try to get one together later tonight.

BTails

Almost forgot it's that time of year again!

We need to get the ball rolling on that again. I haven't had the time to put it together though, since this is the first birthday I've had in awhile where I didn't have to work (gonna be out for awhile).

I took a quick shot of some random games and threw this together.

AlbxAZH.png

^looking good BTails =)

hey retroGAF,
grabbed a few retro titles today for decent prices. Finally found Alundra with a map!
the others were buy 2 get 1 free. i was looking for Romancing SaGa for a while.
knfnxKrh.jpg

KX1FGRRh.jpg

BTails

Nice pickups, David! Alundra is arguably the best Zelda game ever. I was always angry that the included map was paper, whereas Lunar got a sweet cloth map.

BTails

That'll work actually. I could just use the banner and put the thread together right at/around midnight if you want?

Sounds great! I got a headstart and played Sweet Home for about an hour and a half tonight. And like previous years, I paired it with a nice pumpkin beer. I’ll post my impressions in the thread proper.

I usually play Castlevania games for Halloween. Unfortunately, I will be on a business trip that week so I will have to bump it up a bit. I might try playing Code Veronica again but I just can't get used to the controls anymore. Luigi's Mansion is also a good bet too.

How have I never entered this thread before tonight?

It was only a matter of time. Still, reproduction carts for the full game are probably going to be plentiful. If the SNES Classic's going to be so hard to find, I can't be too upset about it.

Welcome to Retro-GAF where Sega is best.

Tain

are people just gonna gut a bunch of Doom carts for Star Fox 2 repros or are we gonna start seeing FPGA repros?

or do people already do those?

Danny Dudekisser

That Ruiner game that came out earlier this week is giving me some serious Fear Effect vibes. Maybe because it's a cyberpunk game with a vaguely anime-ish aesthetic, done by a bunch of white dudes. It's cool as hell, though. Feels more genuinely Fear Effect than that Fear Effect Sedna game does.

Tain

I was up too late last night finishing Cuphead and I really liked it.

I'd put it above Shovel Knight and maybe under Volgarr. But I really like Volgarr's arcade structure.

I'm interested in Cuphead because it actually has a nice cohesive art style but it would require me to give money to Microsoft so that isn't happening.

By the way, I didn't really like Shovel Knight that much. I'd rather just play a real classic title.

I was up too late last night finishing Cuphead and I really liked it.

I'd put it above Shovel Knight and maybe under Volgarr. But I really like Volgarr's arcade structure.

I heard Cuphead doesn't have a traditional score keeping system. Is that as much of a bummer as it sounds?

Top Bottom