• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

That good? I'm really glad it turned out -- I lost interest way back, but it looks like it's pretty much mandatory to play it.

It's great. I can see it being the dark souls of this gen.

I heard Cuphead doesn't have a traditional score keeping system. Is that as much of a bummer as it sounds?

They rate you on a letter grade system based on things like remaining life at the end, successful parries and how many times you used your super. To me that's the same as going for a perfect score on a level.

I don't think it's comparable to shovel knight at all. Cuphead is a run and gun like contra and sometimes it's a shump.

The game is difficult for a modern game but if you're used to 8/16 bit difficulty it's fine. I can see why the younger generation is having a fit over the difficulty though.

Timu

I know none of us actually play games but y'all need to play Cuphead.

Now.
I wonder how often you guys play modern games. TBH, I play a ton of them, just as much as 8-16 bit games.

And I need Cuphead as well. Hearing that it's the Dark Souls of this gen is great as I love Dark Souls.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm interested in Cuphead because it actually has a nice cohesive art style but it would require me to give money to Microsoft so that isn't happening.

By the way, I didn't really like Shovel Knight that much. I'd rather just play a real classic title.

MDHR self-published it on GOG, so if that's an option... maybe consider that?

MDHR self-published it on GOG, so if that's an option... maybe consider that?

I don't use Windows either.

I wonder how often you guys play modern games. TBH, I play a ton of them, just as much as 8-16 bit games.

And I need Cuphead as well. Hearing that it's the Dark Souls of this gen is great as I love Dark Souls.

I only play modern games made by Sega, Falcom, Chunsoft and Nintendo.

I think it's a 50/50 split for me especially this year. 2017 has been unreal!

I don't use Windows either.

I only play modern games made by Sega, Falcom, Chunsoft and Nintendo.

Man you put some hard restrictions on your gaming! A Linux version of Cuphead is supposed to eventually happen.

Tain

I heard Cuphead doesn't have a traditional score keeping system. Is that as much of a bummer as it sounds?

Just a pretty basic ranking system where they grade you on a few categories. Some are pretty trivial, like "do three parries" and "do six EX attacks". I guess you could play for speed?

By the way, I didn't really like Shovel Knight that much. I'd rather just play a real classic title.

I liked it but didn't love it. Even when going out of my way to space out the checkpoints (by destroying them all), the game was kind of a drag until the second half.

D.Lo

Just spent all weekend playing SNES Mini. I think it might be the best value software package ever put together, holy shit there is so much great gaming on it.

I literally have the real thing set up but they fixed the 4:3 scaling of the NES mini, and the games are all gold, unlike the NESM which had simplistic stuff like Donkey Kong and Ice Climber (without hacking). And the rewind feature is such a convenience over save state spamming.

Danny Dudekisser

Just spent all weekend playing SNES Mini. I think it might be the best value software package ever put together, holy shit there is so much great gaming on it.

I literally have the real thing set up but they fixed the 4:3 scaling of the NES mini, and the games are all gold, unlike the NESM which had simplistic stuff like Donkey Kong and Ice Climber (without hacking). And the rewind feature is such a convenience over save state spamming.

Back from the ban, eh? Now we just need Ban Puncher back, and we gucci.

And yeah, I think that for a casual observer, the SNES Classic is seriously an incredible offering. I'd also be interested to see how kids who's only exposure to games is mobile stuff will respond to it.

D.Lo

And yeah, I think that for a casual observer, the SNES Classic is seriously an incredible offering. I'd also be interested to see how kids who's only exposure to games is mobile stuff will respond to it.
Haven't been banned in like 7 years. Ironically for an 'old man yells at cloud' thing this time.

They will be lost without a touch screen

Haven't been banned in like 7 years. Ironically for an 'old man yells at cloud' thing this time.

297.png

Producer

bought a wii at a flea market for cheap and to my surprise i boot it up and has several VC games on it. To top it off it has 900 wii points lol

I decided to buy Sonic Mania last week and it's really good but I think the levels are just too long. I'm finding it hard to keep playing cause I don't always know how much time I have left (baby stuff) and don't want to start a level and just stop part way through.

In contrast I sat down and played Sonic 1 (with Knuckles thanks to a mod) and was able to blow through half the game really fast, it was very nice! The shorter levels just suit the series better.

bought a wii at a flea market for cheap and to my surprise i boot it up and has several VC games on it. To top it off it has 900 wii points lol

Good thing you got it now while the eShop still exists.

I decided to buy Sonic Mania last week and it's really good but I think the levels are just too long. I'm finding it hard to keep playing cause I don't always know how much time I have left (baby stuff) and don't want to start a level and just stop part way through.

In contrast I sat down and played Sonic 1 (with Knuckles thanks to a mod) and was able to blow through half the game really fast, it was very nice! The shorter levels just suit the series better.

I like Sonic Mania a lot but I feel like there's too much content. I'd much rather play Sonic 1 or 2 where I can sit down, get all the emeralds, and finish the game in one or two hours. I don't want to pick up and continue my game later when I play Sonic. I want to play everything at once.

I like Sonic Mania a lot but I feel like there's too much content. I'd much rather play Sonic 1 or 2 where I can sit down, get all the emeralds, and finish the game in one or two hours. I don't want to pick up and continue my game later when I play Sonic. I want to play everything at once.

Maybe that's a part of it too, I don't really mind playing like half of Sonic 1 or 2 and just stopping when it gets boring but I don't know that going back to Mania in that way would be as fun. I'd kinda like to re-explore some levels but they are really, really sprawling. It's kinda daunting.

Rirse

Neo Member
Kinda regretting getting a PVM last month and thinking of selling it. Is there a way to sell one without dealing with Craiglist or a way to ship it while keeping it protected? Even since the upper corner got a color issue, I started to honestly wonder if I really wanted this thing in the first place. I always see the PVM screenshots in threads and MLiG where they look really crisp with crazy looking picture, but in person the scanlines are barely noticeable even up close, not even much better looking then my big CRT with component at times. It still a nice unit, but not 200 dollars nice.

IrishNinja

my EU SNES should be here soon, it's aesthetically superior but my grrl got her US one first & defends it on nostalgia so looks like that's the one we're using, ugh

at least the box is cool, i don't even recall the box for my actual SNES in the day but wish i'dve kept it

yeah i picked up 2 of em when gamestop was dumping PS2 stock for pennies but the pics on the back made em stay right there on the shelf

my EU SNES should be here soon, it's aesthetically superior but my grrl got her US one first & defends it on nostalgia so looks like that's the one we're using, ugh

at least the box is cool, i don't even recall the box for my actual SNES in the day but wish i'dve kept it

yeah i picked up 2 of em when gamestop was dumping PS2 stock for pennies but the pics on the back made em stay right there on the shelf

Why would you want to use PAL anyway?

It's terrible that Sega can hold Shining hostage from Camelot.

IrishNinja

Why would you want to use PAL anyway?

It's terrible that Sega can hold Shining hostage from Camelot.

i just always liked the look of their system, since seeing it in EGM back in the day. i even liked their multi colored buttons, at least the ASCII pad had those

and yeah, god that kills me. what does camelot do these days?

Glowsquid

I got Off-World Interceptor Extreme on saturn despite already owning the PS1 version (it was 6 bucks and youtube footage showed some interesting differences, so). Can't wait to get a 3DO to complete the unholy trifecta!

Rirse

Neo Member
Okay I got rid of the color issue on my PVM after moving back the bass that was sitting next to it. I know it not a fix, as it comes back if I move it but I just leave it there for now. If it gets worst then I just get a degauser rod to fix it.

NDPsycho

Okay I got rid of the color issue on my PVM after moving back the bass that was sitting next to it. I know it not a fix, as it comes back if I move it but I just leave it there for now. If it gets worst then I just get a degauser rod to fix it.

That would be the fix...large magnets will distort the image if the monitor isn't shielded enough. Keep it away from the speaker.

D.Lo

That would be the fix...large magnets will distort the image if the monitor isn't shielded enough. Keep it away from the speaker.
Yep I had a big CRT back in the day that had geometry and to a small extent colour seemingly affected by the elevator shaft in my building.

meppi

Besides the local post office now probably thinking I'm an international drug cartel, the day started of rather brilliant. :p

Nearly 200 Nintendo magazines. Most of which are Official Nintendo magazines from the UK that I didn't have in my possession. Only a duplicate here and there.

-KRS-

Yeah I have to position my CRT TV about 50+ cm away from my right floor speaker or it affects the color on the right side of the TV. I always thought it was the speakers that weren't shielded?

Vespa

Besides the local post office now probably thinking I'm an international drug cartel, the day started of rather brilliant. :p

Nearly 200 Nintendo magazines. Most of which are Official Nintendo magazines from the UK that I didn't have in my possession. Only a duplicate here and there.

Nice collection, you going for a complete set? This is making me miss my CVG collection that got water damaged in our old leaking shed.

Peltz

Yeah I have to position my CRT TV about 50+ cm away from my right floor speaker or it affects the color on the right side of the TV. I always thought it was the speakers that weren't shielded?

Yep, shielded speakers wouldn't need that distance.

meppi

Nice collection, you going for a complete set? This is making me miss my CVG collection that got water damaged in our old leaking shed.

That's what I'm gonna try to do. But I have to watch my spending a bit as I've bought way too much stuff over the past couple of months and the end of the year looks crazy as well.
All 4 boxes were donated to me by a very generous person from the UK so I could digitise and restore them and put them on the site for everyone to enjoy these magazines.

I'm going through them right now and it's actually 2 different sets.
One from Future that started in 2006 and ran to 2014 and counted 114 issues. I have about 30 of those now, starting from number 1.

The other one is Nintendo Magazine System from Emap which ran from 1992 to 2006 and spanned 162 issues in total.
Not sure how many I have of those right now. I'm guessing about 80-100 or so.

But this magazine changes formats quite a few times over the years:

Nintendo Magazine System (Issues 1-53)
Nintendo Magazine (Issues 54-68) *check
Nintendo Official Magazine (Issues 69-131) *check
Nintendo Official Magazine UK (Issues 132-151) *check
Nintendo Official Magazine (Issues 152-162) *check

So it'll take a while to complete these sets.
There's a couple more I'd love to see complete but again, money is an issue. :(
NRevolution, Mega Drive Advanced Gaming and Sega Power for instance.
One day.... one day

Laws00

Reminds me of when I was getting magazines last year. Got a bunch of ones I had and didn’t get

Still missing a bunch like gamefan which I don’t/won’t pay for. And old old game informer from the mid 90s

meppi

Reminds me of when I was getting magazines last year. Got a bunch of ones I had and didn’t get

Still missing a bunch like gamefan which I don’t/won’t pay for. And old old game informer from the mid 90s

The problem with these is that nowadays there are just so many people who want to make bank on everything.
£10+ for a single magazine up to even 20 or 30 sometimes? That's just crazy!

Just look at that picture I posted on the previous page. €328 for issue 1 of Club Nintendo magazine? GTFO!
There are still plenty of good people out there that don't have the space to keep storing their classic magazine and just want to find a good home for them.
The problem is that there are also plenty of scalpers out there hunting for sets, so they can buy them for 1€ a piece or less and then sell them individually for 10-20€... That just isn't right.

I just wish I had more free time to dedicate to scanning magazines and that it didn't take so damn long to finish up an issue at a quality level that I'm satisfied with.

Rirse

Neo Member
My original NES Controller feels super stiff these days. Kinda want to use this as a chance to get the NES Toploader 'Dogbone' controller since I remember liking it as a kid. Is there a good to place to order one without some person thinking they can get 200 dollars for one in a gamestop used accessory bag?

Peltz

I got some nearly brand new dogbone controllers with my AV Famicom. They feel so odd in my hands. I never got used to them.

Kawika

I don't know what it is, but does anyone not like retro 3D games as much as 2D sprites. I remember loving the N64 and PS1 but now, I really can only play a few games like Mario 64 and mostly 2D games on the PS1. For whatever reason I am not as bothered by the 3D Jrpgs of the generation but a lot of the action games just looks so bad in low poly. I feel like I could probably just play sprite based games and be fine. It might be more to do with poor frame rate than the so called ugly polygons.

I don't know what it is, but does anyone not like retro 3D games as much as 2D sprites. I remember loving the N64 and PS1 but now, I really can only play a few games like Mario 64 and mostly 2D games on the PS1. For whatever reason I am not as bothered by the 3D Jrpgs of the generation but a lot of the action games just looks so bad in low poly. I feel like I could probably just play sprite based games and be fine. It might be more to do with poor frame rate than the so called ugly polygons.

I understand this sentiment. Some 3D games aged poorly when it comes to visuals, but there are still a lot of low poly stunners out there like the Mega Man Legends series.

3D was a mistake. We never should have strayed from hand-drawn 2D.

We didn't have mass shootings or North Korea threatening the world when everything was 2D sprites. Doom and the Playstation come out, what happens? Columbine.

We must repent.

Danny Dudekisser

You guys are dumb. 2D games look old, and I dunno why anybody would play that shit anymore. There's a reason why nobody releases 2D games at a full price point anymore, and that's because they look like shit.

SFNf9.gif

image.gif

Lbkaedebg.gif

ckoeL.gif

Kof96aofbg.gif

image.gif

Kawika

I understand this sentiment. Some 3D games aged poorly when it comes to visuals, but there are still a lot of low poly stunners out there like the Mega Man Legends series.

I agree, it just depends on what it is. Also, not matter what scaler I use, I just think PS1/N64 looks better on a CRT. I really would like to see what magic the ultra hdmi does for the 64.

3D was a mistake. We never should have strayed from hand-drawn 2D.

We didn't have mass shootings or North Korea threatening the world when everything was 2D sprites. Doom and the Playstation come out, what happens? Columbine.

We must repent.

LcVJkWB.gif

You guys are dumb. 2D games look old, and I dunno why anybody would play that shit anymore. There's a reason why nobody releases 2D games at a full price point anymore, and that's because they look like shit.

SFNf9.gif

image.gif

Lbkaedebg.gif

ckoeL.gif

Kof96aofbg.gif

image.gif

Totally, why would anyone want to look at this shit?

Top Bottom