• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
ambient background music is always superior
Did you play Painkiller without the battle music but just the ambient? That was damn glorious!

Would love more of that! It's such a shame the company that took over Painkiller never really 'got' Painkiller..

That Xbox 360 and pc update after them was utter trash, also no ambient music. Pffff.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Did you play Painkiller without the battle music but just the ambient? That was damn glorious!

Would love more of that! It's such a shame the company that took over Painkiller never really 'got' Painkiller..

That Xbox 360 and pc update after them was utter trash, also no ambient music. Pffff.
never tried it without battle music but i remember the ambience in that game was almost as good as the PS1 port of DOOM, that game did things that were long forgotten , it was the original retro style shooter , every follow up to the original has been bad

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im about half way through Amid Evil. It didnt grab me immediately (I never played Hexen/Heratic before) but now I am really liking it. Ray Tracing really adds some cool effects to this game. Usually maxed out at 144 fps @ 1440p but some dips here and there to the 110s.

Phase

Im about half way through Amid Evil. It didnt grab me immediately (I never played Hexen/Heratic before) but now I am really liking it. Ray Tracing really adds some cool effects to this game. Usually maxed out at 144 fps @ 1440p but some dips here and there to the 110s.
It's one of my favorite recent fps to release. So good.

Romulus

Amid Evil VR is out on the Quest store and Dusk and Ultrakill are on the way.

If you haven't played retro shooters in VR, it's amazing. OG Wolfenstein all the way up to Quake 4 coming this year. Tons of variety + mods that add alot to these old games.

My personal favorite right now are the jedi knight series. While not pure shooters, they're definitely retro and using a lightsaber in full VR with dismemberment is incredible.

Apocryphon

The Heretic and Hexen comparisons are incredibly shallow. Amid Evil is fantasy and some of the weapons are inspired by Hexen, but otherwise they’re very different. It’s more Quake than Hexen.

Sadly, amod evil didn't grab me as.much as I would like. Still haven't finished the final area (got it in ea and the final area released after I "beat" it)

The music just doesn't do it for me. I love hishchult but the music in amod evil just lacks some sort of je ne se quois for me.

Not knocking amod evil, it is fantastic and these complaints are entirely personal. I'll try and do it again with whatever the equivalent of pistol starts are, that should help. Pistol starting these kinds of games vastly improves them IMHO. Weapon progression is an entire dimension of level design you don't get if you don't play pistol start.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Finished my first playthrough of PowerSlave Exhumed today.

It took me about 5 hours and was awesome. The metroidvania esque structure took me by surprise as i didn't expected it. Can't really say anything bad about it. Will do another playthrough on a higher difficulty. This reignited the urge to play some other titles as well.

52878098780_ea754cc74d_h.jpg

52878098800_6556322b8e_h.jpg

drotahorror

It took me about 5 hours and was awesome. The metroidvania esque structure took me by surprise as i didn't expected it. Can't really say anything bad about it. Will do another playthrough on a higher difficulty. This reignited the urge to play some other titles as well.

Been on my wishlist for a while. Never seems to go very cheap at all (would probably go for it if it was $10).

I need to get on this game. I've heard many great things about it and I love the "Egyptian" aesthetic.

Con-Z-epT

Been on my wishlist for a while. Never seems to go very cheap at all (would probably go for it if it was $10).

It was in my wishlist for over a year, discounted multiple times, however i bought it "full" price. 17,99 isn't bad. Even considering the shorter playtime i think it's worth more than that.

I need to get on this game. I've heard many great things about it and I love the "Egyptian" aesthetic.

I went in with zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Very polished overall, good amount of customizations in the options, progression escalates perfectly throughout the game, not a single boring second, challenging but fair... i could go on forever. I only regret not playing it much earlier.

Doczu

It was in my wishlist for over a year, discounted multiple times, however i bought it "full" price. 17,99 isn't bad. Even considering the shorter playtime i think it's worth more than that.

I went in with zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Very polished overall, good amount of customizations in the options, progression escalates perfectly throughout the game, not a single boring second, challenging but fair... i could go on forever. I only regret not playing it much earlier.
Have no regrets, unless you mean the remaster.

This is the best of the saturn and psx version in hd with 60 fps.

Con-Z-epT

Couldn't stop to play PowerSlave so i went for the platinum to find a rest with the game. Was pretty intense on Pharaoh difficulty.

I wanted to jump into the Turok remaster but i saw that Chasm: The Rift is now available on PSN. Any impression on this version?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've sampled some BoomShoot demos today so I figured I might share my experiences and give some recommendations.

1. Coven

A rare case of a boomer shooter that opts for fully polygonal graphics instead of using sprites for most of its assets. That is, 1997 polygonal graphics that were spruced up with copious amounts of particle effects that no computer at the time would be able to handle. Lovely.

The game is pretty metal. You play as a woman fresh off of a witch trial during which she was obviously found guilty, and the game starts with a POV of you being burnt on a stake. You then literally claw out of your grave as a she-devil revenant who can now cast actual magic and devour corpses for sustenance. Cool.

Gameplay-wise it's kinda like Dusk but with its own distinct visual style and unique set of gimmicks, such as a limb-based damage system where you can hack your enemies to pieces and even spread their guts around like confetti. My favorite way to murder someone is probably an overhead chop to the head which literally cleaves the body in half. Awesome. But other than melee weapons, you also have a fairly standard but hugely satisfying arsenal of firearms consisting of dual pistols, a pump shotgun, a crossbow, grenades, and of course the boomstick, which is fucking amazing and god damn it I can't get enough of blowing enemies into smithereens with it. Each weapon has its own unique alternate mode, some of which use magic with its own separate mana pool, plus I picked up the Necronomicon along the way, which allowed me to see hidden secrets.

Overall, good shit. Highly recommend it. It's definitely something to put on your map for the future.

2. Darkverse: Rogue

Eh, not really my cup of tea. I turned it off after about 10 minutes because it's a fucking roguelike, and even though its visual style is distinct, in this case, "distinct" doesn't mean appealing. At least not for me. Moreover, you're playing as not-John Halo, with a not-Cortana constantly talking into your ear, and not-343 Guilty Spark hovering over your head throughout. The game also begins with not-Cortana awakening you from a cryo bed.

How original.

Anyway, the most unique aspect of this game is its attempt to incorporate Souls-like combat into its gameplay. This essentially means that most of your moves and attacks will consume stamina, you can't pause the game, and everything poses a significant threat to your survival. However, apart from that, I don't know, man, it's just another roguelike. It's a genre that I never liked in the first place, and at this point, it's becoming so ubiquitous that every game seems to repeat the same tired gimmicks. It's becoming a tiresome fad of its own. Game developers, please, just stop doing it already and come up with something new.

I'll pass on this one tbh.

3. Selaco

If this game was a chick, I would let her sit on my face.

4. Turbo Overkill

Basically, if you were vibing with Ghostrunner's style but couldn't cope with its 1-hit kill gameplay, and also you wouldn't mind if it had guns, then this is the game you should be playing. Heaps of fun, although I can only take it in short bursts, otherwise it gets really exhausting, lol.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I played now three times through Chasm: The Rift. Not a flawless game but i love it for all the nostalgic feelings this brings to me. Plays like a charm with highly adjustable controls and some possibilities to alter the image. And as i still don't have enough of it i'll attempt to get the platinum but i feel this is gonna be brutal.

52934863726_e59c20e4da_b.jpg

52934266722_a64d6ea870_b.jpg

anthraticus

Banned
Nice to see you guys referring to them as retro shooters and not that other awful name we're not gonna mention. Classic FPS works well too.

Play Arcane Dimensions for Quake and thank me later.

Also Brutal Heretic is fun as hell too. None of the lame shit from normal Brutal Doom. It's straight AI, weaponry and effects upgrades. Pretty much perfect.

Last edited:

Seconded. I always wanted to like Quake single player more than I do. The mechanics are there but spongy enemies (especially all the knights), a weak shotgun, and lower enemy counts just ensured that it doesn’t live up to Doom II.

Arcane Dimensions changes that. It takes the promise of Quake and elevates it by (1) making shotguns projectile based, (2) increasing enemy variety, (3) adding some new weapons, namely a super shotgun that actually feels satisfying to use, and (4) having some of the best level design I’ve ever seen in the genre.

It’s easily one of the best retro shooters I’ve played.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nice to see you guys referring to them as retro shooters and not that other awful name we're not gonna mention. Classic FPS works well too.

Also Brutal Heretic is fun as hell too. None of the lame shit from normal Brutal Doom. It's straight AI, weaponry and effects upgrades. Pretty much perfect.
Man that looks like a great boomer shooter, thx!

drotahorror

Wrath Aeon of Ruin delayed til atleast 2024.

...yeesh.

Wrath Aeon of Ruin delayed til atleast 2024.

...yeesh.
I’m still holding out hope it comes out and lives up to its promise, but it’s been so long coming I don’t have much hope. This doesn’t even feel like a delay because I’m not really counting on it ever coming out. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it does though

Top Bottom