• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever miss triple-A first person shooters with strictly linear story campaigns?

Do you miss them?

• Yes, Drizzle, my heart aches for those games to come back

Votes: 162 76.1%
  • No, Drizzle, I didn't even notice that they're gone

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don't care tbh

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
I get it. Every fad needs to go away at some point and make way for the next big thing that will grab everyone's attention, leaving only that minority group of hardcore fans behind who don't want to move on and we just want to stick to our favorite genre forever. That's just the nature of things. Entropy and all that shit. But look at the list of games that match the description from the title and tell me that this isn't pitiful. Especially when compared to the seventh generation of consoles.

Of those released in the last few years we have:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (2022)
Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021)
Resident Evil Village (2021) - does that actually count as an FPS, or is this more in the "survival horror" camp? Idk, you decide.
CoD Black Ops: Cold War (2020)
Modern Warfare 2 Remastered (2020)
Doom Eternal (2020)
. big fucking nothing...
Star Wars Battlefront II (2017)
CoD WWII (2017)
Wolfenstein II (2017)
Resident Evil 7 (2017)
Titanfall 2 (2016)
Doom (2016)

Hope I'm not missing anything.

It's not that I'm not enjoying any modern games but there's a serious lack of variety in the triple-A space for shooters. Every other shooter these days is at least a 30 hour slog through some open world, a live service game, or some co-op shooter with a heavy multiplayer focus. I just started playing Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita and it reminded me how much I miss games like that being released by big triple-A studios.

Would you like to have more of those games on modern consoles?

Last edited:

Certinty

100%.

This is why even though I have no interest in the multiplayer aspect of Call of Duty anymore, I still buy the games purely for the campaign.

Which reminds me, last year’s Modern Warfare II has an absolutely brilliant campaign, it really deserves so much more praise.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah. A game like half life 2 or uncharted 4, I can replay over and over.
An open world game? nah....
Edit: A good game like one I pointed out above, every time I replay, I find something new, I adore and inspect story and environments. It's a playthrough I always enjoy. I just finished uc4 for 5th time since 2017.... half life 2 replay is long overdo but I finished that game good 10 times and loved every single time. Some other games like that but I dont want to make it a list

Last edited:

Fatmanp

I’d love a new Resistance or Killzone game, so yeah. I’m hoping that one of these is announced during the showcase - and even better, as VR games. Half Life Alyx? Yes please. The potential of a AAA 1st person shooter in VR is immense.
Ye me too but I switched to pc since the last versions of these came out and don't think I could play an FPS on controller again. I always thought both series were very underrated

MiguelItUp

Honestly, yeah. I also miss AAA FPSs that had a great campaign AND great multiplayer. Really made them feel like an awesome package. Especially if they went even further and added co-op and a slew of other multiplayer game modes.

HL3.exe

Nah, grew up with endless of linear FPS's from the 90's/00's. I kinda always wish those shooters became more immersive Sim/open-ended/systems driven. But that didn't happen either, and everything became check-list mowers and looter shooters grind fests. But still linear underneath. And the modern linear shooters that do exist are set piece driven affairs that constantly takes control away from the player.

Instead of theme park open-worlds or strict linear, I'm hoping hub-style shooters like Deus Ex or Strife make a comeback. More small scale but dense and reactive, in story as well with as it's dynamics. Or I could go for a good 'Half-Life like' with more player driven agency.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Which reminds me, last year’s Modern Warfare II has an absolutely brilliant campaign, it really deserves so much more praise.
For real. It had the refined COD setpieces and levels you'd expect, but even threw in some Dishonored-lite gameplay (the sniper mission where you end up stealthing on the rooftops of the hatchery or choosing to go full assault) and The Last of Us-lite (the crafting/behind enemy lines in the village at night mission). And with the polish you'd expect from Infinity Ward.

I'm happy people who might not have played those games got exposure to those gameplay ideas.

Alpha Male

tenor.gif

RyRy93

I enjoy the special ops style missions in past CODs that fully immerse you as some badass soldier but they never featured enough.

I’d like to see more of them with interesting mechanics like Portal but those kind of games are rare, most linear FPS games feel shallow and the run time is way too short.

I’d rather have another 7-8/10 open-world game than a shitty FPS campaign that can be beaten in 1 or 2 sittings.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I don't.
The genre peaked with the Half-Life 1, 2 and Halo: Combat Evolved.
So I just replay those whenever I feel nostalgic.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Games like Half-Life and Halo were good, but AAA pushed the genre too much from the game to the "experience" category and sucked the joy out of it.

Fbh

Absolutely. Last game like this we got was Doom Eternal which is already several years old and there seems to be nothing exciting on the horizon.

I'd love to get a Titanfall 3.
2 was so fucking good, the on foot segments were awesome, the mech segments were awesome, the time manipulation level is still one of the coolest levels of any game in the last decade IMO.
I'd love for AAA gaming to focus less on graphics and more on cool concepts like this:
lejfjsi7yi2a4vvtcfh5.gif

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I do alot, FPS will always be my favourite genre especialy the linier games like you mention. We get the odd 1 like the recent Doom and Wolfenstein games, but theres not much in the future at the moment. Id love more Doom, Wolfenstein, reboot Quake, get Killzone and Resistance back, Medal of Honor aswell, more Halo just fucking finish it this time. Instead we will get more superhero trash though.

Codes 208

I prefer more linear sanbox shooters like doom and halo (bungie era specifically). Corridor shooters like classic cod always seemed to just piss me off.

GenericUser

You mean stuff like the cod campaigns? Hell no. Boring and predictable. They barely qualify as games in my opinion. I'd rather watch a John wick movie.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You mean stuff like the cod campaigns? Hell no. Boring and predictable. They barely qualify as games in my opinion. I'd rather watch a John wick movie.
Among other things but what I mean is pretty much any kind of shooter that has a simple linear campaign and doesn't try to be 10 different things at once, like an open world game, and RPG, looter shooter live service bullshit, etc. Just a straightforward story campaign with multiplayer or some other components attached as separate modes.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Actual screenshot from Syndicate:

w6M9yNl.jpg
Yeah bloom in that game was ridiculous but I agree that Syndicate was an underrated game. It got unfairly shat on for desecrating a legacy of a franchise that had absolutely nothing to do with first person shooters but that's on EA for making that stupid-ass decision. If this was called anything but Syndicate then it would probably get a much better reception.

GenericUser

Among other things but what I mean is pretty much any kind of shooter that has a simple linear campaign and doesn't try to be 10 different things at once, like an open world game, and RPG, looter shooter live service bullshit, etc. Just a straightforward story campaign with multiplayer or some other components attached as separate modes.
As long as the campaign is not basically a single hallway (like cod) and more like something in the style of doom 2016, I'd be all for it tbh. But I doubt that we will see something like this in the AAA space. People that pay full price for a game nowadays expect all kinds of content, doesn't matter wether it makes the game better or not. See the assassins creed games.

Hot5pur

I was thinking the same. More linear FPS games would be good. More linear games in general. Seems everyone feels like they need to do 30+ hour open world games.

Top Bottom