• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Xbox retail until Sunday

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you download it then you can always redownload it. If you don't get whitelisted before sunday then only Dev Mode will work after that date as its a private windows store sharing a file and he will be stopping for now after Sunday.
No it won't show in your recent downloads list apparently, the FAQ on the discord says that if you delete it from your console you can't get it back.

So you guys have it working without switching to dev mode right now? Damn thats dope.

At least there's hope for me when I upgrade.
Yep, working without dev mode :)

Need for Speed Underground 2 back on consoles, awwwwwwwwwwww yisssssssssssssssss.

Last edited:

Banned
has anyone tried Dolphin? TimeSplitters 2 runs very slow in many scenes but in others it runs full speed.
it seems to be connected to how many objects are on screen at once.

resolution is not the issue I went from native res all the way up to above 4k and the speed of the emulation doesn't change.

the options in the Dolphin core seem to be very limited

Banned
hope i still get whitelisted, but else i can buy it after today? but just for dev-mode ?

you can't buy it.
what they do here is a sneaky backdoor kinda thing to get the app out there.
they arw not allowed to put it on the public Microsoft Store but they can still distribute the app to people they handpick.

this is usually used by developers to give news outlets and reviewers preview access to their games beforehand.

the only way to get this without this white listing is using developer mode

Banned
Finally I have everything settled up, adding covers is a pain in the ass.

are there tutorials on how to set everything up the best way possible?
Having this cross media bar layout for example, I'm still stuck with the stock menu... (plus asset update so it actually doesn't look like some Amiga menu anymore lol)
do you have to copy files from a PC/USB device or can you do everything important directly from the App's menus?

I updated everything that I found in the app itself but I'm no expert on retroarch

Last edited:

quickwhips

are there tutorials on how to set everything up the best way possible?
Having this cross media bar layout for example, I'm still stuck with the stock menu... (plus asset update so it actually doesn't look like some Amiga menu anymore lol)
do you have to copy files from a PC/USB device or can you do everything important directly from the App's menus?

I updated everything that I found in the app itself but I'm no expert on retroarch
under settings there is a menu ui and you can change to xmb. Then save and exit out of retroarch.

Banned
under settings there is a menu ui and you can change to xmb. Then save and exit out of retroarch.

oh ok, so it is preinstalled nice.

one thing tho, I've seen people play TimeSplitters 2 (dolphin) at pretty great framerates, but for me it struggles really hard.

do I need an update for the dolphin core and if there are updates do they just install right through retroarch or do you need to update them manually?

quickwhips

oh ok, so it is preinstalled nice.

one thing tho, I've seen people play TimeSplitters 2 (dolphin) at pretty great framerates, but for me it struggles really hard.

do I need an update for the dolphin core and if there are updates do they just install right through retroarch or do you need to update them manually?
are you running the games on the local storage or remote. I've got this setup on a xbox one x since I don't have a series x yet. So I can't speak on that part as those wont run for me.

Thabass

Any of you know how to move files around? I've been in the discord for a while but got tired and bored. I basically just want to copy my roms and save states from dev mode to retail mode. So it should be from S drive to Q drive. Someone there recommend I use the ftp from their link, which I did, but it only gives me access to Q drive.

You need an app called "My Files Explorer". I think you can find it on the Xbox Store for like $2.49.

Banned
are you running the games on the local storage or remote. I've got this setup on a xbox one x since I don't have a series x yet. So I can't speak on that part as those wont run for me.

it's all on internal.

I have a lot of issues in general with it.
right now for example TimeSplitters 2 won't load at all anymore, and I didn't change anything... really werid

wvnative

Got it on my xbox one via whitelist. Does this add it to my account history or do i need to keep it on an external drive?

Not sure if its worth even testing on the one x. anyone here test it on the one? I was just prepping for Series X

Jaxcellent

They are shutting this down?, thats really a pity, I don't have a s/x and was playing some retro this weekend on my mac through redream, The "new" Atomiswave games are a blast! Definitely check them out ASAP!

Rossco EZ

can someone here who has it working show a tutorial of what to do cause i’ve got no idea what to do after downloading

Esppiral

Got it on my xbox one via whitelist. Does this add it to my account history or do i need to keep it on an external drive?

Not sure if its worth even testing on the one x. anyone here test it on the one? I was just prepping for Series X

I only tested Metrid prime on my One X, it runs like at sub 10 fps, the CPU is trash in that console.

Banned
so on Series X Dolphin, PS2 stuff and PSP stuff have issues for me.

for inexplicable reasons these just don't start, completely crash the app or even the system.

I had black screens on GameCube but after resetting my config file it suddenly worked, now after rebooting the console it doesn't even load the ISO whatsoever and hangs on a dark grey screen until I manually close the app.

SNES and 2D stuff in general don't have any issues so far. seems like some cores really make trouble

for inexplicable reasons these just don't start, completely crash the app or even the system.

I had black screens on GameCube but after resetting my config file it suddenly worked, now after rebooting the console it doesn't even load the ISO whatsoever and hangs on a dark grey screen until I manually close the app.

SNES and 2D stuff in general don't have any issues so far. seems like some cores really make trouble

I'd recommend installing dev mode and using Retroarch there.

While mine has been working without issue on retail, I've read on Resetera that those who have issues usually find them gone if they use dev mode instead.

I gave my mail and my discord id in the form.
Then what do I need to do?

You get added to a whitelist which will give you access to download the apps. There's no indication when you get added, you just need to keep trying.

Rossco EZ

so i’m on the app
7OfKjtt.jpg

i click load core and whenever i select any of them nothing works
nCVCETF.jpg

i click start core

t3cwddM.jpg

and then this happens

8dZj8yB.jpg

Rossco EZ

Load content instead of loading core. You get to choose the core you want to use afterwards.
looking in content i just see all the cores though, can’t find any games. can’t find any decent tutorials on youtube either most i find are using dev mode which i’d prefer not to do

Tiamat2san

I'd recommend installing dev mode and using Retroarch there.

While mine has been working without issue on retail, I've read on Resetera that those who have issues usually find them gone if they use dev mode instead.

You get added to a whitelist which will give you access to download the apps. There's no indication when you get added, you just need to keep trying.
Keep trying what?

sorry, i really don’t get the concept.

MrFunSocks

Banned
can someone here who has it working show a tutorial of what to do cause i’ve got no idea what to do after downloading
After you’ve downloaded it you need to get your legally acquired game ROMs on to your console. The easiest way to do that is to use the FTP app that is on the same link as the Retrospection app is.

first you have to go to settings and do the update assets and update cores options.

Download that FTP app, open it and click set local path, then click start down the bottom.

On your pc, download an FTP program - I like FileZilla - and connect to the local IP address that the FTP app on your Xbox shows on the screen.

FileZilla will now be connected to your Xbox! Go into the downloads folder on your Xbox via FileZilla (find the folder with "retrospection" in the name, then go in to Localstate, then you should see the download folder), make a new folder for GameCube etc. copy paste your gamecube roms into there. Supposedly you can’t have more than 16gb per folder, so just try a few games at a time.

for some emulator Cores you’ll need a bios dump from the actual console that you own. Using filezilla copy them to the System folder in retrospection on your Xbox.

now in retrospection on your Xbox you should be able to go Load Core, choose Nintendo - Dolphin / Wii, then Load Content, go to download folder/GameCube and choose your rom, and away you go :)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

Do you have the dolphin_emu bios folder copied in to the system folder in retrospection? You’ll also need a bios for ps2.

looking in content i just see all the cores though, can’t find any games. can’t find any decent tutorials on youtube either most i find are using dev mode which i’d prefer not to do
Have you actually got the ROMs for games and have transferred them to your Xbox? It doesn’t come with any games.

Last edited:

Rob_27

Where do I get retroarch from for the Series X? And this works or retail units?

Last edited:
Top Bottom