• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Xbox retail until Sunday

killatopak

Gold Member
Shit...

So I can’t have it cause it hasn’t released in our country yet.

Dammit.

Cries in tier 3 country.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: TLZ

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
After you’ve downloaded it you need to get your legally acquired game ROMs on to your console. The easiest way to do that is to use the FTP app that is on the same link as the Retrospection app is.

first you have to go to settings and do the update assets and update cores options.

Download that FTP app, open it and click set local path, then click start down the bottom.

On your pc, download an FTP program - I like FileZilla - and connect to the local IP address that the FTP app on your Xbox shows on the screen.

FileZilla will now be connected to your Xbox! Go into the downloads folder on your Xbox via FileZilla, make a new folder for GameCube etc. copy paste your gamecube roms into there. Supposedly you can’t have more than 16gb per folder, so just try a few games at a time.

for some emulator Cores you’ll need a bios dump from the actual console that you own. Using filezilla copy them to the System folder in retrospection on your Xbox.

now in retrospection on your Xbox you should be able to go Load Core, choose Nintendo - Dolphin / Wii, then Load Content, go to download folder/GameCube and choose your rom, and away you go :)

Can you load things from a usb stick?

TLZ

Banned
So you need file explorer on xbox you can use trial or buy it for 2.59 i think. I bought it.
Once you have retail retroarch installed putt your files you want to copy to the xbox on a ntfs partition usb stick (other partitions might work).
Plug the usb stick into xbox.
Use File Explorer to browse your usb stick.
The REtroarch folder will be on isolated storage one folder back from file explorer folder but called retrospective instead of retroarch.
Once you understand the path make a folder called games under Retrospective.
in file explorer go to the usb storage. In the top right is a select button. Then from the drop down hit select all or select the items you want to copy over. Then presss the start button on your controller to copy the files you selected.
go back to the retrospective folder and press start again to paste them to the correct folder.
Make sure you dont' put more than 16gb of games in each folder.
Bios files go under system.
Thanks for the detailed information. But my issue is I have files inside the S drive, the drive dev mode uses, since I've played RA in dev mode already. I don't believe File Explorer will get me into that S drive so I can copy my roms and save states, right?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I *think* you have to transfer to internal drive to play them, but can transfer them from USB using the ES File Explorer app.

Ah ok. Since the Xbox doesn't have a native file explorer that's why I'm assuming the FTP is an option.

Banned
Do you have the dolphin_emu bios folder copied in to the system folder in retrospection? You’ll also need a bios for ps2.

is there a tutorial on how to do this on retail? all the folders I have access to through the fike browsers I tried were the ones of my profile

MrFunSocks

Banned
is there a tutorial on how to do this on retail? all the folders I have access to through the fike browsers I tried were the ones of my profile
I'm not sure how to do it through the file browser sorry, I did it all through FTP which is IMO much easier as you can do it via PC.

Rossco EZ

After you’ve downloaded it you need to get your legally acquired game ROMs on to your console. The easiest way to do that is to use the FTP app that is on the same link as the Retrospection app is.

first you have to go to settings and do the update assets and update cores options.

Download that FTP app, open it and click set local path, then click start down the bottom.

On your pc, download an FTP program - I like FileZilla - and connect to the local IP address that the FTP app on your Xbox shows on the screen.

FileZilla will now be connected to your Xbox! Go into the downloads folder on your Xbox via FileZilla, make a new folder for GameCube etc. copy paste your gamecube roms into there. Supposedly you can’t have more than 16gb per folder, so just try a few games at a time.

for some emulator Cores you’ll need a bios dump from the actual console that you own. Using filezilla copy them to the System folder in retrospection on your Xbox.

now in retrospection on your Xbox you should be able to go Load Core, choose Nintendo - Dolphin / Wii, then Load Content, go to download folder/GameCube and choose your rom, and away you go :)
cheers for the write up, i’ll give it a go

MrFunSocks

Banned
cheers for the write up, i’ll give it a go
No worries. Happy to help with anything if you have any problems as I've got mine all up and running now.

Also before you load a game, make sure to go into settings/input and then hotkeys and make sure to bind "quick menu" to something - I did start + select (or L3 + R3 is one no games would really use either) - as that's the only way to quit out of a game once you've loaded it without having to force quit the whole app.

Oh and while you're FTP'ing to the console you need to leave the console on the FTP app as it can't run in the background.

edit: first thing when you ftp to the console, you need to find the folder that has "retrospection" in the name, then go into the "localstate" folder. thats where the download folder is.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So you need file explorer on xbox you can use trial or buy it for 2.59 i think. I bought it.
Once you have retail retroarch installed putt your files you want to copy to the xbox on a ntfs partition usb stick (other partitions might work).
Plug the usb stick into xbox.
Use File Explorer to browse your usb stick.
The REtroarch folder will be on isolated storage one folder back from file explorer folder but called retrospective instead of retroarch.
Once you understand the path make a folder called games under Retrospective.
in file explorer go to the usb storage. In the top right is a select button. Then from the drop down hit select all or select the items you want to copy over. Then presss the start button on your controller to copy the files you selected.
go back to the retrospective folder and press start again to paste them to the correct folder.
Make sure you dont' put more than 16gb of games in each folder.
Bios files go under system.
Thanks for the detailed information. But my issue is I have files inside the S drive, the drive dev mode uses, since I've played RA in dev mode already. I don't believe File Explorer will get me into that S drive so I can copy my roms and save states, right?
Just a heads up. I managed to transfer my save states from my Vita to SX retail. It worked thankfully. I couldn't move them from dev mode. It was a pain in the ass. All's good now :)

I filled out the form for the whitelist yesterday, but how do I know when access was granted to me? I should be getting a series S/X here soon, but wanted to get this now before it is no longer available.

NeonDelta

filled in the form late last night. Just downloaded it. Hoping my rpms are still on my old laptop or my raspberry pi

Tazzu

I have sold my XBOX One and don't have a Series X|S, can I still sign up for the retail version since I don't have a system?

That's what I am trying to figure out. It sounds like the link that was provided to me above will not be active after Sunday, but someone on the discord said that T3 made the apps searchable on the store. When I try searching for Retrospective or PrettySmartPlatform, I get 0 results returned.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I have sold my XBOX One and don't have a Series X|S, can I still sign up for the retail version since I don't have a system?
That's what I am trying to figure out. It sounds like the link that was provided to me above will not be active after Sunday, but someone on the discord said that T3 made the apps searchable on the store. When I try searching for Retrospective or PrettySmartPlatform, I get 0 results returned.
You can sign up now even if you don't have a console, as it's just a whitelist for your email address / gamertag to be a beta tester essentially.

The app isn't ever going to be released on the store. The only way to get it is to get whitelisted and then follow his link, which opens the store directly to the app that you can't get to any way else.

The signup was extended til next Sunday night iirc.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Do you just fill out the form, then what? How do you download it after adding your email? And what if you don’t have discord

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Do you just fill out the form, then what? How do you download it after adding your email? And what if you don’t have discord
Don’t need a discord name, just enter something made up. Just make sure you use the email your Xbox live account uses.

After you get whitelisted you go to the URL that people have posted in here on edge on your Xbox and then it takes you to the store to download retrospection (retroarch).

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

This is incredible! Stuck a couple of my Megadrive ROMS from my megadrive mini on a USB stick and they just worked. Amazing.

Tiamat2san

So the app is working.
The next step is to get an app for files if I want to charge roms from an usb stick ?
Which one do you recommend ?

Rob_27

I tried the link but just says something went wrong from the Xbox.

Is it still available or available in UK I filled out the form on Sunday to whitelist

Banned
I tried the link but just says something went wrong from the Xbox.

Is it still available or available in UK I filled out the form on Sunday to whitelist

have you entered the correct email? if you entered it on sunday you should have been whitelisted by now.

Rob_27

Yes I entered the correct email. Is that white list so you can see the app and download It from the link?

Cheers.

the_master

Guys any list of recommended settings and cores for series X?

Could we even have a folder with all configs, cores and such so we just coppy paste it to our series X and it just works? (provided we fill it with roms and bios)

I am encountering some problems and I wonder fi one person can solve it, it coudl be soved for everyone, right?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Guys any list of recommended settings and cores for series X?

Could we even have a folder with all configs, cores and such so we just coppy paste it to our series X and it just works? (provided we fill it with roms and bios)

I am encountering some problems and I wonder fi one person can solve it, it coudl be soved for everyone, right?
It's really just a matter of finding which settings work for which games, and which cores work for which games. Some games work better in duckstation than beetle for example. It's a lot of mucking around. Maybe try the retroarch reddit sub?

the_master

It's really just a matter of finding which settings work for which games, and which cores work for which games. Some games work better in duckstation than beetle for example. It's a lot of mucking around. Maybe try the retroarch reddit sub?
Ot seems like something the comunity could tune together.
Maybe a collaborative process to set it all up (3 configs: accurate, performance and graphical improvement)
People could be uploading particular configs for systems and games, and have it all work perfectly on the series x

Top Bottom