• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 controller with 12-hour battery life leaked by retailer

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
From gamesradar:

A new version of the PS5's DualSense controller has been listed by a retailer, and it seems to boast an upgraded battery.

As listed over on Best Buy's Canada website, the 'PlayStation 5 V2 DualSense Wireless Controller - White' currently doesn't have a release date. What it does have, though, is an "exceptional 12-hour battery life," which would theoretically be a big upgrade on the current DualSense's battery life.Right now, there's been no official confirmation from Sony that the new DualSense controller is on the way. Given the information on Best Buy though, it's a pretty safe bet that it's real - we just don't have an idea when it'll be launching around the world yet.

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-ps5-controller-with-12-hour-battery-life-leaked-by-retailer/

Right now, there's been no official confirmation from Sony that the new DualSense controller is on the way. Given the information on Best Buy though, it's a pretty safe bet that it's real - we just don't have an idea when it'll be launching around the world yet.

Hope it's true. Maybe my girlfriend will stop saying that the DualSense lasts longer than I as an insult.

Deerock71

Prototype PS5 controller:
monday fail GIF by VARTA Automotive

Was planning on buying the Edge controller soon with the paddles.

Anyone know if this new battery life will be coming to the Edge as well?

I guess I will wait a bit.

Imagine spending so much in R&D to improve controller's battery life in 2024.

Just use 2 AAs Sony ffs.
Who wants to replace batteries rather than plug the controller into a USB-C? People act like it's incredibly inconvenient. And if you have problem with 5-6hr Dual Sense battery life because you game long sessions, just buy another dual sense for 40$ and have one controller always being charged. You would save money rather than buying this 12 hr battery life controller.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Who wants to replace batteries rather than plug the controller into a USB-C? People act like it's incredibly inconvenient. And if you have problem with 5-6hr Dual Sense battery life because you game long sessions, just buy another dual sense for 40$ and have one controller always being charged. You would save money rather than buying this 12 hr battery life controller.
Who is selling Dualsense controllers for 40 bucks? That's a pretty good deal.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Just use 2 AAs Sony ffs.
The most you'll get out of AA batteries is 30/35 Hours
So that's about 3/4 charges before your replacing the batteries.
Now if you have rechargable batteries that's a different story, just remember to have a spare set fully charged otherwise ay fucked.
Then we have to look your whole living situation.
Now I imagine "most" not all! Xbox gamers live on their own and are single or got no kids.
Which explains why they do not understand why having removable batteries that can be used in something else is a BAD idea with a females or children around.

Yes I have two Dualsense and a charging dock.

Quantum253

I wanted to get a color ps5 controller (I like the red and black scheme using red plates). I'll wait and see what the new sku is since I doubt they will be advertised as V2 or ser aside. At least until mk.1 is sold through

Lucian

Sorry to hear that you are the engineer.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
DualSense already started with 12-hour battery.

“We played through a handful of PS5 and PS4 titles during our testing, including Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom, and the controller eventually ran out of charge after 12 hours and 30 minutes.”

Source: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ps5

Don't know Shake, IMO, the DS's battery life averages at +/-6 hours - 7 if we're being optimistic and that's with the light set to "dim" and the haptic stuff turned down a notch.
12hours and 30 minutes like Techradar says though ? i...doubt that - even in a scenario where you have everything turned off (rumble/haptics/triggers/microphone etc).

That article sounds like wishful thinking PR BS as i don't think you'll find the average users averaging at 12 hours.

Cheers

Actually, everyone with two brain cells prefers the AAs. People replace the AAs and plug the empty ones into the charger. No one rational enough wants to play with a dead controller plugged into a USB.

The most you'll get out of AA batteries is 30/35 Hours
So that's about 3/4 charges before your replacing the batteries.
Now if you have rechargable batteries that's a different story, just remember to have a spare set fully charged otherwise ay fucked.
Man. You are telling me that "ay fucked" if I don't have 2 spare eneloops to replace the empty ones. And you think that the solution is to have a dualsense connected via usb, while I can do the same thing on an xbox controller IF I forgot to charge the second pair of eneloops?
Read again what you propose.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man. You are telling me that "ay fucked" if I don't have 2 spare eneloops to replace the empty ones. And you think that the solution is to have a dualsense connected via usb, while I can do the same thing on an xbox controller IF I forgot to charge the second pair of eneloops?
Read again what you propose.
The difference is the Dualsense is charging while connected, there is no missing around with removing the batteries, popping them into a charger waiting whatever time it takes to charge and putting them back in.
You just plug in and unplug, don't even have to pause the game.

FrankWza

The difference is the Dualsense is charging while connected, there is no missing around with removing the batteries, popping them into a charger waiting whatever time it takes to charge and putting them back in.
It's just a dumb thing to hang on to in the warz. The xbox elite controller is rechargeable and 2 AA batteries are way too big to be on a controller when you have to now include up to 4 back buttons and tech like the DualSense has.

Reactions: TGO
Noone waits for the batteries to be charged, mate. We replace them with a pair of charged ones and then put the empty batteries in the charger. It's very simple.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lets slam the breaks on battery life, this is a thing that has a charger cable, we're lucky the N64 had a short wired cord to save money.

I like the way it was on 360 - you could use a charging pack or put in AAs if you wanted to. 20 years later almost, I use AAs because my charge packs died and it's easier to find two AA than a charge pack. Unfortunately for controllers without removable batteries... That option isn't available down the road.

schaft0620

any updates on this coming out soon ?
ps the longest usbc wire i can find is only 10 foot not long enough so.

You could of gotten a second controller and a docking station for $60 during the holiday sale. Not separately, I'm talking about both in one order.

Z O N E

Like others have already said, there's already a thread about this:

Also, the battery is the exact same, no changes there. It's just a headline to get clicks.

gamer82

hmm i'll pass i have two controllers from launch and yet to have one die on me durring a play session. not like i play for 8 hours plus at a time to worry about it. if one dies i just take a break or switch it over. and cheaper than probaly what this one controler will cost.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Just use 2 AAs Sony ffs.

The battery was so poor in the DS4, it was basically the equivalent of 1/3 of a decent set of rechargeable AAs. I have no idea what the DualSense had been using or is using now, hopefully they bumped it up there to 2000 mAh+.

Last edited:

JCK75

Hope it comes out soon... I have to charge mine after every single gaming session while my Series X controller goes on for months.

Reactions: Isa

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's like a 3-4x improvement. Impressive if true. Although the battery in the current one is super small, guess it's not that hard to just make it larger.

Top Bottom